It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 23:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ecuador's extraordinary topographical diversity comprises snow-capped

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1817 [3], given: 302

Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Ecuador's extraordinary topographical diversity comprises snow-capped [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Aug 2015, 10:57
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

48% (01:53) correct 52% (01:37) wrong based on 544 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Ecuador's extraordinary topographical diversity comprises snow-capped peaks reaching an altitude of more than 20,000 feet and rain-forest ravines descending steeply toward the Amazon basin, supporting an equally astounding diversity of wildlife species.

A. diversity comprises snow-capped peaks reaching an altitude of more than 20,000 feet and rain-forest ravines descending steeply toward the Amazon basin, supporting

B. diversity, comprising snow-capped peaks reaching an altitude of more than 20,000 feet and rain-forest ravines that descend steeply toward the Amazon basin, supports

C. diversity comprises snow-capped peaks that reach an altitude of more than 20,000 feet and rain-forest ravines and descends steeply toward the Amazon basin, supporting

D. diversity, comprising snow-capped peaks reaching an altitude of more than 20,000 feet and rain-forest ravines and descending steeply toward the Amazon basin, supports

E. diversity comprises snow-capped peaks reaching an altitude of more than 20,000 feet and rain-forest ravines descending steeply toward the Amazon basin, is supporting
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Kudos [?]: 1817 [3], given: 302

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Manager

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 111

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
Schools: Boston U '19 (D)
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 3
WE: Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Re: Ecuador's extraordinary topographical diversity comprises snow-capped [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2015, 03:17
How can OA be B..??

Does not B have Meaning and Parallelism issue...??

IMO A.

Hard-work, Perseverance and Commitment.....

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 111

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1817 [0], given: 302

Re: Ecuador's extraordinary topographical diversity comprises snow-capped [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2015, 03:44
dinesh86 wrote:
How can OA be B..??

IMO A.

This answer choice solves the ambiguity of the original sentence by changing the main verb comprises to the unconjugated verb comprising (and thus turning almost the entire underlined section into a modifier) and by changing the unconjugated verb supporting to the conjugated verb supports (making it the main verb).

If we look at the sentence without the new modifier, it makes sense:

Ecuador's extraordinary topographical diversity , ... , supports an equally astounding diversity of wildlife species.

With A you have a problem. It is ambigous: What does "supporting an equally astounding diversity of wildlife species" refer to?

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7934 [0], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2015, 06:07
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The intent of the passage is to say that the extraordinary diversity supports equally astounding wild-life diversity
We should give a preference to the support act by ascribing an action verb; A stresses more on the fact that the topographical diversity consists of X and Y, relegating the support function to a modifier role; This is a logical flaw in construction. So, B is better than A in expressing intent properly.

A. diversity comprises snow-capped peaks reaching an altitude of more than 20,000 feet and rain-forest ravines descending steeply toward the Amazon basin, supporting ----- logical flaw

B. diversity, comprising snow-capped peaks reaching an altitude of more than 20,000 feet and rain-forest ravines that descend steeply toward the Amazon basin, supports ---- best choice

C. diversity comprises snow-capped peaks that reach an altitude of more than 20,000 feet and rain-forest ravines and descends steeply toward the Amazon basin, supporting ---- meaning awfully changed. Descends is SV error.

D. diversity, comprising snow-capped peaks reaching an altitude of more than 20,000 feet and rain-forest ravines and descending steeply toward the Amazon basin, supports – 'and descending' spoils the structure of the clause

E. diversity comprises snow-capped peaks reaching an altitude of more than 20,000 feet and rain-forest ravines descending steeply toward the Amazon basin, is supporting – ‘comprises and is supporting’ --- This is a run on

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7934 [0], given: 364

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2015, 19:51
I also do not understand why A is wrong, pls help

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 160 [0], given: 916

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2015, 01:48
thangvietnam wrote:
I also do not understand why A is wrong, pls help

ecuador-s-extraordinary-topographical-diversity-comprises-snow-capped-203085.html#p1558225

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: UCLA EMBA"17
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2016, 18:53
daagh wrote:
The intent of the passage is to say that the extraordinary diversity supports equally astounding wild-life diversity
We should give a preference to the support act by ascribing an action verb; A stresses more on the fact that the topographical diversity consists of X and Y, relegating the support function to a modifier role; This is a logical flaw in construction. So, B is better than A in expressing intent properly.

A. diversity comprises snow-capped peaks reaching an altitude of more than 20,000 feet and rain-forest ravines descending steeply toward the Amazon basin, supporting ----- logical flaw

B. diversity, comprising snow-capped peaks reaching an altitude of more than 20,000 feet and rain-forest ravines that descend steeply toward the Amazon basin, supports ---- best choice

C. diversity comprises snow-capped peaks that reach an altitude of more than 20,000 feet and rain-forest ravines and descends steeply toward the Amazon basin, supporting ---- meaning awfully changed. Descends is SV error.

D. diversity, comprising snow-capped peaks reaching an altitude of more than 20,000 feet and rain-forest ravines and descending steeply toward the Amazon basin, supports – 'and descending' spoils the structure of the clause

E. diversity comprises snow-capped peaks reaching an altitude of more than 20,000 feet and rain-forest ravines descending steeply toward the Amazon basin, is supporting – ‘comprises and is supporting’ --- This is a run on

Hi,
Can you explain how is "that" correct in sentence? what does i refer to?

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2016, 00:06
prathameshbhirud wrote:
daagh wrote:

Hi,

To understand the statement properly break the sentence into clauses.

Ecuador's extraordinary topographical diversity,
comprising snow-capped peaks
reaching an altitude of more than 20,000 feet
and
rain-forest ravines
that descend steeply toward the Amazon basin,
supports an equally astounding diversity of wildlife species.
The bold face parts are modifiers that explain the snow capped peaks and rain forests respectively.
The first is verb+ing modifier and in second 'that' refers back to rain forest ravines and the following clause with that as a subject explains the forests.

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 8

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 43 [2], given: 17

GPA: 3.98

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2016, 08:18
This post received
KUDOS
gagan0001 wrote:
prathameshbhirud wrote:
daagh wrote:

Hi,

To understand the statement properly break the sentence into clauses.

Ecuador's extraordinary topographical diversity,
comprising snow-capped peaks
reaching an altitude of more than 20,000 feet
and
rain-forest ravines
that descend steeply toward the Amazon basin,
supports an equally astounding diversity of wildlife species.
The bold face parts are modifiers that explain the snow capped peaks and rain forests respectively.
The first is verb+ing modifier and in second 'that' refers back to rain forest ravines and the following clause with that as a subject explains the forests.

Of course B is the correct choice, but I would have felt more comfortable with: "diversity, comprising snow-capped peaks that reach an altitude of more than 20,000 feet and rain-forest ravines that descend steeply toward..." for the sake of parallelism.

Clipper Ledgard
GMAT Coach

Kudos [?]: 43 [2], given: 17

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 106

GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 May 2017, 22:40
cledgard wrote:
Of course B is the correct choice, but I would have felt more comfortable with: "diversity, comprising snow-capped peaks that reach an altitude of more than 20,000 feet and rain-forest ravines that descend steeply toward..." for the sake of parallelism.

Totally agree with you. That's why I eliminated B and chose A instead.
Anyway, as explained above by expert Daagh, B is preferred for rightly stressing main idea of the sentence.
Nonetheless, I still feel that this split is quite subtle... just my opinion.

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 106

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 29

GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GPA: 3.01
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2017, 00:20
The main idea is properly reflected in B, but I wonder how can --supports " an equally" ........ can refer to the absolute phrase used to modify the subject of the sentence.

To make my point clear - how can " an equally" refer to the absolute phrase "comprising.....basin"

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 29

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 72 [2], given: 106

GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V25
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.48
Reviews Badge
Ecuador's extraordinary topographical diversity comprises snow-capped [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2017, 04:00
This post received
KUDOS
sriamlan wrote:
The main idea is properly reflected in B, but I wonder how can --supports " an equally" ........ can refer to the absolute phrase used to modify the subject of the sentence.

To make my point clear - how can "an equally" refer to the absolute phrase "comprising.....basin"

Hi, in my opinion, "an equally" and phrase "comprising snow-capped peaks..." have no relation in this sentence.

Ecuador's extraordinary topographical diversity, comprising snow-capped peaks reaching an altitude of more than 20,000 feet and rain-forest ravines that descend steeply toward the Amazon basin, supports an equally astounding diversity of wildlife species.

blue colored: main clause
pink colored: V-ing modifier modifying subject of the sentence - "Ecuador's extraordinary topographical diversity". That modifier describes how diverse Ecuador's extraordinary topography is.

The noun phrase "equally astounding diversity of wildlife species" plays the role of sentence's object. In that noun phrase, adverb "equally" modify adjective "astounding".

As you can see, there is no relation between these two parts.

As you can see

Kudos [?]: 72 [2], given: 106

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 12

Show Tags

New post 22 Sep 2017, 07:13
This question sucked my time.
Was oscillating between A and B.

Finally chose B, as Daagh pointed out that stress should be on "equally astounding diversity of wildlife species". Option A stresses on what topological diversity comprises of.

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 12

Director
Director
S

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 164

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 04:28
reto wrote:
Ecuador's extraordinary topographical diversity comprises snow-capped peaks reaching an altitude of more than 20,000 feet and rain-forest ravines descending steeply toward the Amazon basin, supporting an equally astounding diversity of wildlife species.

A. diversity comprises snow-capped peaks reaching an altitude of more than 20,000 feet and rain-forest ravines descending steeply toward the Amazon basin, supporting

B. diversity, comprising snow-capped peaks reaching an altitude of more than 20,000 feet and rain-forest ravines that descend steeply toward the Amazon basin, supports

C. diversity comprises snow-capped peaks that reach an altitude of more than 20,000 feet and rain-forest ravines and descends steeply toward the Amazon basin, supporting

D. diversity, comprising snow-capped peaks reaching an altitude of more than 20,000 feet and rain-forest ravines and descending steeply toward the Amazon basin, supports

E. diversity comprises snow-capped peaks reaching an altitude of more than 20,000 feet and rain-forest ravines descending steeply toward the Amazon basin, is supporting

This took question really took some grit to solve- it is very misleading, but the idea that the sentence is trying to express is that Ecuador's topographical "diversity" is what supports "an equally, etc."

Also the usage of that in B makes the sentence much clearer. C is a trap answer because many readers read from left to right and GMAC knows that this bait test takers to eliminate A, B, D E -

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 164

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 71

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2017, 14:10
Can someone explains why "comma+supporting" will wrongly modifies the other noun, doesn't (comma + Ving) modifies preceding clause OR the main Subject ?

Is A wrong because "comma+supporting" can modify either preceding clause OR main subject thus makes the meaning ambiguous?
(Main Subject: Ecuador's extraordinary topographical diversity)

But why Economics's explanation says "comma+supporting" will wrongly modifies snow-capped peaks and rain-forest ravines.

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 71

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 19:40
reto wrote:
dinesh86 wrote:
How can OA be B..??

IMO A.

This answer choice solves the ambiguity of the original sentence by changing the main verb comprises to the unconjugated verb comprising (and thus turning almost the entire underlined section into a modifier) and by changing the unconjugated verb supporting to the conjugated verb supports (making it the main verb).

If we look at the sentence without the new modifier, it makes sense:

Ecuador's extraordinary topographical diversity , ... , supports an equally astounding diversity of wildlife species.

With A you have a problem. It is ambigous: What does "supporting an equally astounding diversity of wildlife species" refer to?

If you want to look at the sentence without a modifier, D is correct too!
I think B has parallel issue
could you explain it, please?

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 25

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
P

Kudos [?]: 220 [1], given: 188

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 23:36
This post received
KUDOS
soodia wrote:
If you want to look at the sentence without a modifier, D is correct too!
I think B has parallel issue
could you explain it, please?

Hello soodia - Please find the explanation as per below:

Problem with D ==> the usage of "and descending steeply toward the Amazon basin" means that this is the third aspect of diversity and in this case it is incorrect as there are only two points that are part of the diversity discussed here and those two parts are - 'snow-capped peaks' and 'rain-forest' the part - and descending steeply toward the Amazon basin should be describing the 'rain-forest ravines'. Adding 'and' changes the meaning.

B does not have parallelism issue:

Diversity - Comprising:

==> snow-capped peaks peaks reaching an altitude of more than 20,000 feet and

==> rain-forest ravines that descend steeply toward the Amazon basin

Both 'now-capped peaks' and 'rain-forest ravines' are parallel.

Hope this helps - please do let me know in case you have any specific question. Thanks

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

Worried About IDIOMS? Here is a Daily Practice List: https://gmatclub.com/forum/idiom-s-ydmuley-s-daily-practice-list-250731.html#p1937393

Best AWA Template: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-get-6-0-awa-my-guide-64327.html#p470475

Kudos [?]: 220 [1], given: 188

Re: Ecuador's extraordinary topographical diversity comprises snow-capped   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2017, 23:36

Ecuador's extraordinary topographical diversity comprises snow-capped

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap