Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [129]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618787 [77]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64898 [21]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Eight litres are drawn off from a vessel full of water and s [#permalink]
Kudos
one more way:

Lets start with option:

Vessel capacity be 20litre:

8litre water removed and milk added: W=12litre, M=8litre

8litre mixture removed, (removed proportionately) : W= 12-4.8 = 7.2litre, M= 8-3.2 = 4.8 litre

8litre milk added ; W=7.2 litre, M=12.8 litre

Ratio will be 72/128 = 18/32 = 9/16

As we can see that milk is less so we have to select the ratio even less than 20,

Vessel capcity be 14 litre

8litre water removed and milk added: W=6 litre, M=8 litre

8litre mixture removed, (removed proportionately) : W= 6-3.4 = 2.6 litre, M= 8-4.6 = 3.4 litre

8litre milk added ; W=2.6 litre, M=11.4 litre

Ratio will be 26/114 = 8.66/38 (approx) very close to 9/40

So correct option is D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [11]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.48
WE:Web Development (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I solved it 2:28 mins in reverse way.

First 8 l milks added.
Then another 8 litre milk added.
so total is milk < 16 (as some milk is removed)
since final ratio of water is 9:40

water shud be < 16*9/40 i.e < 3....
so total must be less than 19...

in the given options it is clear that 14 is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 177 [5]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Entrepreneurship,Strategy, Marketing
WE 1: 6 years - Consulting
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
virupaksh2010 wrote:
Eight litres are drawn off from a vessel full of water and substituted by pure milk. Again eight litres of the mixture are drawn off and substituted by pure milk.If the vessel now contains water and milk in the ratio 9:40, find the capacity of the vessel.

Possible AnswersSelected Possible Answer
A. 21 litrers

B. 22 litres

C. 20 litres

D. 14 litres

E. 28 litres

Using Wine formula:

{ (P-8) / P }^2 = 9/49

P solves to 14 - Ans - D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Send PM
Bunuel, could you please pin point to a mistake in my reasoning?

Let T = total capacity of vessel

1.) the concentration of milk after the first round is 8/T
2.) After the second round the concentration of milk is \(40/49\)

\(8/T\) * (T-8) + 8 = \(40/49\) T

Now, I can't solve this equation. And even substituting answer choices won't help.

Where's the mistake?

Thank you very much.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618787 [2]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
nonameee wrote:
Bunuel, could you please pin point to a mistake in my reasoning?

Let T = total capacity of vessel

1.) the concentration of milk after the first round is 8/T
2.) After the second round the concentration of milk is \(40/49\)

\(8/T\) * (T-8) + 8 = \(40/49\) T

Now, I can't solve this equation. And even substituting answer choices won't help.

Where's the mistake?

Thank you very much.

Equation is correct.

\(\frac{8}{t}(t-8)+8=\frac{40}{49}t\) --> \(\frac{t-8}{t}+1=\frac{5t}{49}\). Now, if you substitute t=14 you'll see that it'll hold true.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Send PM
Bunuel, thanks a lot. I must have made some miscalculation.

Conceptually the question is interesting. However the numbers are quite "difficult" to work with. Do you think that a real GMAT question would have better numbers?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4418 [1]
Given Kudos: 325
Concentration: Technology, Other
GPA: 2.44
WE:Project Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Bookmarks
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
nonameee wrote:

Conceptually the question is interesting. However the numbers are quite "difficult" to work with. Do you think that a real GMAT question would have better numbers?

Actually, the numbers are quite suitable for a very efficient, quick and oral solution. This is what I thought of when I came up with the answer in 20 secs. Mind you, you need to go through the link provided below to understand this theory. Else the 20 sec solution will probably not make sense to you.

We are substituting milk so we should work with water.

Final concentration of water = 9/49
There were two iterations. So, 9/49 = (100%)*(Vi/Vf)^2
Vi/Vf = 3/7
Since we are putting 8 liters of water but difference between Vi and Vf is 4, final volume (which is also equal to volume of the vessel) must be twice too i.e. 7*2 = 14 liters.

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2012/01 ... -mixtures/

Hi Karishma , Could you please elaborate the highlighted portion ? I am unable to grasp the last part of the solution . Thanks in advance .
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64898 [1]
Send PM
Eight litres are drawn off from a vessel full of water and s [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
guerrero25 wrote:
nonameee wrote:

Actually, the numbers are quite suitable for a very efficient, quick and oral solution. This is what I thought of when I came up with the answer in 20 secs. Mind you, you need to go through the link provided below to understand this theory. Else the 20 sec solution will probably not make sense to you.

Vi/Vf = 3/7
Since we are putting 8 liters of water but difference between Vi and Vf is 4, final volume (which is also equal to volume of the vessel) must be twice too i.e. 7*2 = 14 liters.

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2012/0 ... -mixtures/

Hi Karishma , Could you please elaborate the highlighted portion ? I am unable to grasp the last part of the solution . Thanks in advance .

This is the ratios concept in action here even though I haven't used ratio explicitly.
Vi is the volume after you remove 8 lts but before you put it back. Vf is the volume after you put the 8 lts back in.

But you get Vi/Vf = 3/7 i.e. their ratio is 3:7. But the actual difference in their volume is 8lts.
so 7x - 3x = 8 giving you x = 2
Vi = 6 lts, Vf = 14 lts

(All I did above was I saw that the difference between 3 and 7 is 4 (the ratio difference) but actual difference is 8 so the multiplier is 2. Hence the actual volume would be twice of the ratio too.

Check out my ratios video to understand the concept of multiplier: https://youtu.be/5ODENGG5dvc

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 03 Jun 2013, 20:44.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 23 Aug 2023, 00:35, edited 1 time in total.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64898 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Quote:
Eight litres are drawn off from a vessel full of water and substituted by pure milk. Again eight litres of the mixture are drawn off and substituted by pure milk. If the vessel now contains water and milk in the ratio 9:40, find the capacity of the vessel.

A. 21 liters
B. 22 liters
C. 20 liters
D. 14 liters
E. 28 liters

The way the equation is expressed, it seems to me that the number used for Vf should be the volume of the vessel (this is my understanding of what Vf is supposed to represent). However, that is obviously incorrect. Thus, I am having difficulty conceptualizing what Vf actually represents in the solution you have provided and, further, how you were able to intuitively determine that it should be doubled. I understand that Vi of 3 and Vf of 7 must be doubled in order to ensure that Vf-Vi=8. However, I do not understand why this is permissible within the construct of the concentration equation.

Responding to a pm:

You are correct. In this question Vf is the capacity of the vessel.

What is Vf in replacement questions?
Replacement consists of two steps: - 'withdraw from the vessel' and 'put back into the vessel'.
When you withdraw from the vessel, the volume goes down - This is Vi for the next step.
When you put back, the volume comes up again - this is Vf. In this step, since amount of water stays the same (you are putting in milk), CiVi = CfVf

In this question, vessel is FULL of water and you are substituting part of it by milk. So it will be FULL when you put milk in it in step 2. So Vf is the capacity of the vessel.

Also, we are using ratios here.
Say, you know a/b = 1/2. If a = 10, what is b? It is 20, right?
Similarly, you know a/b = 1/2. If b-a = 4, what is a? Note that on the ratio scale, the difference between b and a is 1 (2 - 1). But actually it is 4 so a must be 4 and b must be 8.
Check out my posts on ratios: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2011/03 ... of-ratios/

Since Vi/Vf = 3/7 but Vf - Vi = 8 (twice of what it is on the ratio scale), Vi must be 6 and Vf must be 14.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64898 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
nonameee wrote:

Vi/Vf = 3/7

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2012/01 ... -mixtures/

Responding to a pm:

Cf*Vf = Ci*Vi
Cf = Ci * (Vi/Vf)

When you add milk for the first time, concentration of water in initial solution is 100%

Cf = 100% (Vi/Vf)

Then you remove some solution which doesn't change its concentration which is 100% (Vi/Vf)
When you add milk again, initial concentration is 100% (Vi/Vf) and the final concentration is given by

Cf2 = 100% (Vi/Vf) * (Vi/Vf) = 100%(Vi/Vf)^2

We know that this Cf2 is given to be 9/49

So Vi/Vf = 3/7

So every time we take out some solution, the volume of the solution reduces to Vi and every time we add it back, it goes up to Vf.
7x - 3x = 8 lts
x = 2 lts

So Vi is 6 lts and Vf is 14 lts. The capacity of the vessel i.e. the volume when it is full (i.e. when we put back the 8 lts of milk) is 14 lts.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1037 [1]
Given Kudos: 102
Send PM