GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 04 Aug 2020, 15:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Emory ($$$) vs ISB

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Emory ($$$) vs ISB  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2016, 00:55
Hi guys,

I have an admit from both the schools. With Emory I am getting around 80% scholarship so its a pretty sweat deal however, finances is not that big a deciding factor for me here. I wish to transition to a consulting role post MBA and I am concerned about the low MBB presence at Emory and how easy would it be for international students to get it. I am also open to marketing roles but I talked to some students at Emory and they told me about limited opportunities for international students since not a lot of companies are willing to sponsor them. ISB, on the other hand is a very academic driven school and I am afraid I might miss on the global and learning experience there.
Location wise, US v/s India I don't have a specific preference and I am ok with either of the places. But I am concerned about the overall global reputation of both the schools since I do want to have a global career. The opinion on the global reputation seems to be equally divided btw both the schools.

Could anyone suggest me which one to choose from this? I have a deposit deadline tomorrow, any inputs would be appreciated :)
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Emory ($$$) vs ISB  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2016, 12:25
Wow.... waiting until the last day :-)

It is a pretty substantial choice you are making. If you go with Emory, you are likely to take the US-path and either stay here forever or at least spend 3-6 years working before transferring back home. I have not been to India so i can't comment on how much different the experience will be but my guess is substantially. However, reading your tone/opinion, it sounds as though you have visited the US and spent some time traveling, so leaving home is not a priority.

The second missing piece is $$ at ISB. How much is your cost there? Is it a 1 or a 2-year program?
My guess the living expenses at both places will be different as well. However, in my experience most folks pick schools based on the upside rather than the cost-savings portion.

Goizueta is Good in terms of rankings - it broke into Top 20 a few times in the last 5 years, and is on an upswing in terms of employment numbers, applicants, and salary figures. I think it is a solid choice, esp with the scholarship - you can't go wrong with that. In terms of MBB, it is a hard space to break into even if you go to Booth or any top 10 school. There are many more applicants than those who get accepted from a class of 500 or 800 so while you can lament lack of hiring at Emory, no program will guarantee it to you.

My big unknown is ISB and what it can provide you with. The biggest factors for me would be employment options/guarantees at the end (H1B and International aspect is a limiting factor but not a roadblock; you knew that going in). If you want international experience, I feel you would have better chances going to school in Atlanta and getting a job in South East and spending some time there vs. working hard to get transferred from India to elsewhere. (Usually a more complicated track).

Congratulations and good luck with your decision!
Attachments

US News Rankings.png
US News Rankings.png [ 113.54 KiB | Viewed 1934 times ]

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2016, 12:50
Thanks bb for the reply.

ISB is a one-year program in India and holds a stellar reputation in the country, easily top 3 in MBA programs. The cost of one-year program is coming out to be approximately similar to Emory (including living expenses+other stuff). The program is pretty academic as the consulting firms demand very high grades from the students and one year only leaves so much window for experiencing different things.

So while I am pretty sold on coming to a US program and getting that experience, the reputation of ISB in the country attracts MBB and they usually take ~35 odd people out of a batch of 800 people so I will get better job opportunities (not just consulting, other marketing firms as well) in ISB vs Emory, specially being an international student.

Also, there is a buzz about the H-1 B program becoming more stringent so that invokes some anxiety too.

Even with the whole issues I am still bent on getting the US MBA experience, also because of two-year course. So while I know Emory will give me access to good firms, I am just not sure it will be worth leaving ISB.

Any thoughts? Sorry for procrastinating this to last day I am really in a fix here.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2016, 12:57
Update : Just received an admit from Kelley as well. they haven't disclosed the scholarship details yet
RSM Erasmus Moderator
V
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Emory ($$$) vs ISB  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2016, 16:03
Dear jjindal,

Congrats for being accepted by all those programs. it shows how strong you are. :)

I will try to throw my 2 cents. I will go for US-path for international experience. It is unparalleled experience for me to leave my country and study in another country. You may one return your country with international exposure. Also, I agree with abut the heavy academic nature of ISB which I do not prefer in business study. Big mba schools depends on experiential learning in different forms.

Emory locates in big city and have some connections with MBB such as Bain office in Atlanta but it all depends on you. My big concern is that you may have applied to many schools. You may be accepted in one school highr than Emory. What would you do then, if you will pay deposit to Emory?

Although I like Kelley, it does not have MBB strong presence. Kelley's main consulting recruiter are Accenture and Deloitte. This info I know from my friends there and the consulting academy Supervisor.

Good luck
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2016, 19:48
ISB sounds enticing as long as you are not looking for international experience. So you are kind of trading off here safety/security vs. International experience.

Your concerns about the H1B are valid - nobody knows how it is going to go next few years and knowing how it works, things may get worse before they get better so there may be a situation that you should consider - returning after 3 years (2 at school + 1 year at OPT). How much will it be as a setback with a degree from Kelley/Goziueta vs. ISB?

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
WAMC! - What Are My Chances - Automated Profile Evaluation Tool is Here!
Everything we know about GMAT ONLINE is Here!
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2016, 01:56
jjindal what did you finally choose?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2016, 03:26
Going with Emory. I feel experience should be a big factor in deciding a MBA course. ISB wouldn't provide me that, plus Emory is giving a pretty sweet deal so I don't have much to lose if something goes wrong. Besides, I am trying to higher colleges in round 2 so might still have a shot at a better college than Emory.

For what it's worth, this is kind of how I zeroed down to this choice : http://zenpencils.com/comic/60-robert-f ... not-taken/

Thank you everyone for the valuable inputs. :)
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Dec 2016, 04:01
jjindal wrote:
Going with Emory. I feel experience should be a big factor in deciding a MBA course. ISB wouldn't provide me that, plus Emory is giving a pretty sweet deal so I don't have much to lose if something goes wrong. Besides, I am trying to higher colleges in round 2 so might still have a shot at a better college than Emory.

For what it's worth, this is kind of how I zeroed down to this choice : http://zenpencils.com/comic/60-robert-f ... not-taken/

Thank you everyone for the valuable inputs. :)

Congratulations :)
Do you mind sharing your profile?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Emory ($$$) vs ISB   [#permalink] 16 Dec 2016, 04:01

Emory ($$$) vs ISB

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: FinanceMan, Regenerate