It is currently 11 Dec 2017, 18:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Enlisted Military with a 630 GMAT

new topic post reply Update application status  
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 19

Schools: MSU Broad $
Enlisted Military with a 630 GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2011, 10:23
Hello, I was wondering if someone could give me some perspective on my chances since nobody I know is even aware of what an MBA is, or how to go about getting into a program. Everyone on here seems to have a 700+ GMAT, and I'm getting a little insecure. I know this website is mainly for the top 10-15 schools, but I'm looking to get into 20-50 schools in the midwest. Mendoza, Carlson, Broad, Kelley, Smeal, Possibly others. I want an MBA now so I can just move forward once I graduate and not have to worry about EMBA or going back to school again.

stats:
27 White Male
Concentration: Marketing CPG
GMAT 630 39/37/6 (2nd score not trying to take it again unless I strike out this year)
GPA 3.1 (Last 60 credits 3.9) Big Ten and small State school Dual Major: Management, Psychology
WE: 4+ Years Enlsited Army, Promoted to Sergeant in 2 years (average is about 4 years, it was an unusually fast promotion)
Deployed Iraq 14 months, made SGT half way through deployment
Combat Infantry type position, I had between 2 and 9 direct reports, usually 3 or 4 at any given time
WE: Currently Interning in a B2B Marketing Firm, also will have full time direct sales/advertising exp by matriculation but it will be less than one year
EC: Decent but nothing spectacular, most of my free time in the Army was spent taking college courses

weaknesses:
Horrible Undergrad GPA in my younger years, has been vastly improved with more recent college experience (finally above a 3.0)
Lower GMAT than median for schools I am applying to (but within mid 80%)
Not a lot of relevant work experience, military xp is sort of subjective

Strenths:
Interview well
Strong writing/Essays
Dance moves...if only the Adcoms could see them

Currently waitlisted to Mendoza (sort of a reach?), and have interviewed at Broad in person, and Carlson over the phone. My #1 school changes every week, between Mendoza/Broad/Kelley it is very close. Don't really have a safety school. There are no safety schools I actually want to go to that are in the regional area that I want live in (northern midwest). I still have two years of the Post 9/11 GI Bill left, so MBA should be pretty much paid for depending on a few variables I don't want to get into.

Director
Director
B
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 5

Premium Member
Re: Enlisted Military with a 630 GMAT [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2011, 11:06
I honestly don't think most adcoms really understand the difference between officers and enlisted personnel, so as long as you can emphasize leading others and making life or death decisions in stressful situations, you can probably make a pretty compelling case in your essays and interviews. The far-from-accurate stereotype of military is that we're rigid, inflexible, and overly authoritative, so it'll help if you can talk about instances where you showed initiative, adapted to uncertain circumstances, and built consensus as opposed to simply relying on your rank to get people to do things.

I guess the big question is whether you're dead-set on starting school this fall, or whether you're willing to reapply for fall '12 admission if you don't get into one of the schools you want to attend this time around. If you get dinged this year from all the schools you'd like to attend, you'll have an opportunity to strengthen your profile by retaking the GMAT, getting into some more ECAs, and possibly taking some outside quant courses to help make up for your undergrad GPA. Adcoms should take it as a good sign that you're on an upward trend in terms of grades, but the types of courses you're taking will also matter--do you have much in the way of math, calculus, or statistics?

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/
Admissions Consulting for Veterans, by Veterans

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 5

Current Student

Schools: MSU Broad $

Show Tags

New post 24 Feb 2011, 11:29
Got a B in Calc freshman year in 2002, considering taking stats this summer whether or not I get into a program. All A's in business courses, Marketing, Finance, and several Management classes. So overall, not much in math, but I showed a big jump in Quant scores on the second GMAT if that counts for anything. I only really had to count push ups in the army, that was it as far as math goes.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 25 Feb 2011, 20:43
Lot of business schools actually encourage the kind of experience you have. Seek out the feedback from the schools in case you get unfavorable decisions to know where to work on during re-applications. May be your goals or story is not sounding convincing to the adcoms while you are thinking too much about your GMAT or GPA.

Your list of schools are not ultra competitive and a good application should definitely help you.

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Enlisted Military with a 630 GMAT   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2011, 20:43

Enlisted Military with a 630 GMAT

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap