It is currently 22 Feb 2018, 02:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ernst Haeckel held the individual development of biological organisms,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Re: RAGCT Day 9: Ernst Haeckel held the individual development [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2015, 19:33
Got influenced by option E, but after going through other posts, it indeed seems to be option C, the development phases are not something that happened in past but these are ongoing.

Thanks,
JJo.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. - Thomas A. Edison

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2015, 21:42
Between C and E, meaning should guide to pick the correct answer. :)

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GMAT 2: 770 Q50 V46
WE: Business Development (Advertising and PR)

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2015, 01:58
Idioms and tenses..
Should be C
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2015, 10:01
3-2 split and then tense issue... oa awaited

Kudos if you like my post

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: ISB '18
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2015, 11:56
Answer is C

Held will be followed by that . Its sort of a commanding word.

A and B out .

In option D previously is not required . and its makes no sense.

E : Had not required at all .

KUDOS pls if you like My Post

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2015, 15:54
seems like a case of SV agreement.. Also, A and B rule out just because someone cannot hold 'the individual development' of something. Among the rest of the 3 options, D and E does not fit as both are in the past tense and does not agree with the subject. Hence final answer is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

Please kudos if you find this post helpful. I am trying to unlock the tests :)

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Reviews Badge
RAGCT Day 9: Ernst Haeckel held the individual development [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2015, 09:21
daagh wrote:
A. the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, to have passed through all the previous evolutionary stages from single cell organism to its species --- that is missing

B. the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, to pass through previously all the evolutionary stages from single cell organism to that species--- that is missing.

C. that the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, passes through all the previous evolutionary stages from single cell organism to the species of these organisms -- This is the correct choice, since all scientific theses are finally about universal truths and not just evidences from which the truth is drawn and hence a present tense verb such as passes is required.

D. that the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, previously pass through all the evolutionary stages from single cell organism to their species ---- “pass through” is S-V agreement problem

E. that the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, had passed through all the evolutionary stages previously from single cell organism to the current species -- had passed is wrong tense. May it was so in all species that were in the past years. But the passage talks of current species. So a past perfect has no place in such descriptions.

Obviously the answer is C.

hi daagh, could you pls elaborate the reason for not using past perfect in choice E. I am unable to understand your explanation: "May it was so in all species that were in the past years. But the passage talks of current species. So a past perfect has no place in such descriptions."

Since the first part of the sentence is in past tense (Ernst Haeckel held), how can it not use past perfect referring back to its previous period. pls clarify.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Schools: ISB '17 (D)
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2015, 11:23
The facts are presented in Present tense.... eg. Ice melts to form water.
Ernest held that...it is a fact so present tense.
That is required for the subjunctive purpose.

Beat verbal, Beat GMAT...;)
Trying Hard to do that.....

Kudos if my post helped you

Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
RAGCT Day 9: Ernst Haeckel held the individual development [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2015, 19:52
12Sums wrote

Quote:
hi daagh, could you pls elaborate the reason for not using past perfect in choice E. I am unable to understand your explanation: "May it was so in all species that were in the past years. But the passage talks of current species. So a past perfect has no place in such descriptions."

Since the first part of the sentence is in past tense (Ernst Haeckel held), how can it not use past perfect referring back to its previous period. pls clarify.

I wrote
Quote:
E. that the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, had passed through all the evolutionary stages previously from single cell organism to the current species -- had passed is wrong tense. May be it was so in all species that were in the past years. But the passage talks of current species. So a past perfect has no place in such descriptions.

My intended point was: For example, in the case of species that are things of past, say such as the dinosaurs, we can agree that held was a later event and had passed its past perfect. However, the tenor of the passage is to espouse a time-less universal theory; Using a past perfect tense limits the reference to a finished chapter, and closes the usage to any era contemporary or future

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Last edited by daagh on 02 Aug 2015, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2015, 10:53
I am hoping a win because I answered in only 26 seconds

Ernst Haeckel held the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, to have passed through all the previous evolutionary stages from single cell organism to its species.

A. the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, to have passed through all the previous evolutionary stages from single cell organism to its species

B. the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, to pass through previously all the evolutionary stages from single cell organism to that species

C. that the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, passes through all the previous evolutionary stages from single cell organism to the species of these organisms

D. that the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, previously pass through all the evolutionary stages from single cell organism to their species

E. that the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, had passed through all the evolutionary stages previously from single cell organism to the current species

Because a long part is underlined, just scanned the five choices 2-3 split and CDE start with a that so I scanned CDE only : passes through, previously pass through, had passed through . present tense required

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Ernst Haeckel held the individual development of biological [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2015, 10:31
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Ernst Haeckel held the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, to have passed through all the previous evolutionary stages from single cell organism to its species.

(A) the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, to have passed through all the previous evolutionary stages from single cell organism to its species

(B) the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, to pass through previously all the evolutionary stages from single cell organism to that species

(C) that the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, passes through all the previous evolutionary stages from single cell organism to the species of these organisms

(D) that the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, previously pass through all the evolutionary stages from single cell organism to their species

(E) that the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, had passed through all the evolutionary stages previously from single cell organism to the current species

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Ernst Haeckel held the individual development of biological [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2015, 02:39
option C seems best: that the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, passes through all the previous evolutionary stages from single cell organism to the species of these organisms

reason as why E is wrong: the intent of the sentence is to put forward THAT Ernst Haeckel held or propounded some theory which is true in entirety SO that FACT should be presented in PRESENT TENSE and NOT in PAST PERFECT as is done in E
Board of Directors
G
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2015, 07:03
aditya8062 wrote:
option C seems best: that the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, passes through all the previous evolutionary stages from single cell organism to the species of these organisms

reason as why E is wrong: the intent of the sentence is to put forward THAT Ernst Haeckel held or propounded some theory which is true in entirety SO that FACT should be presented in PRESENT TENSE and NOT in PAST PERFECT as is done in E

Undoubtedly (c) -

(C) that the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, passes through all the previous evolutionary stages from single cell organism to the species of these organisms

The highlighted part correctly modifies the development of biological organisms

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2015, 07:33
Between C and E... I chose C..

same logic used as aditya8062

Kudos if you like my post

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2015, 08:42
Ernst Haeckel held some finding and not the individual development
Therefore the sentence needs a that after Ernst Haeckel held
Without that the sentence reads as if Ernst Haeckel was responsible for the individual development.
Eliminate A and B

The original sentence has previous evolutionary stages - The adjective previous modifies evolutionary stages
In option D and E the adverb previously modifies the verb passed. Hence the meaning is changed.
Further I think there is no need of past perfect used in option E.

C is correct answer.

Quote:

(A) the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, to have passed through all the previous evolutionary stages from single cell organism to its species

(B) the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, to pass through previously all the evolutionary stages from single cell organism to that species

(D) that the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, previously pass through all the evolutionary stages from single cell organism to their species

(E) that the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, had passed through all the evolutionary stages previously from single cell organism to the current species

I am not an expert, so please CORRECT me if I am wrong

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2015, 13:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
tuanquang269 wrote:

I'll add my two cents, because I was the author of this particular question. There is some intelligent discussion already on this page. As a few people have noted, choice (E) cannot be correct, because "the individual development of biological organisms" is something that exists in present time and is ongoing. Every time a human female or an animal is pregnant, this is the occasion of the individual development of another biological organism. Since this is an ongoing happening, we need the present tense.

BTW, Ernst Haeckel (1834-1919) summed up this idea in the notorious inscrutable sentence: "Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny." You will not have to analyze that sentence on the GMAT!

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V28
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Ernst Haeckel held the individual development of biological organisms, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Mar 2017, 17:40
A) the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, to have passed through all the previous evolutionary stages from single cell organism to its species

B) the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, to pass through previously all the evolutionary stages from single cell organism to that species

C) that the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, passes through all the previous evolutionary stages from single cell organism to the species of these organisms

D) that the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, previously pass through all the evolutionary stages from single cell organism to their species

E) that the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, had passed through all the evolutionary stages previously from single cell organism to the current species

Hit kudos if you like my post

Today's preparation determines tomorrow's achievement.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Ernst Haeckel held the individual development of biological organisms, [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2017, 16:25

A) the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, to have [color=#ed1c24]passed through all the previous evolutionary stages from single cell organism to its species[/color] The tense is wrong

B) the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, to [color=#ed1c24]pass through previously all the evolutionary stages from single cell organism to that species the development is singular and should be refed with passes

C) that the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, passes through all the previous evolutionary stages from single cell organism to the species of these organisms correct choice

D) that the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, previously pass through all the evolutionary stages from single cell organism to their species individual development passes and not pass

E) that the individual development of biological organisms, from embryos to adult forms, had passed through all the evolutionary stages previously from single cell organism to the current species change in meaning because of the wrong tense used.
Ernst Haeckel held the individual development of biological organisms,   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2017, 16:25

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 38 posts ] 

Ernst Haeckel held the individual development of biological organisms,

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap