GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Jun 2018, 14:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Eurasian water milfoil, a weed not native to Frida Lake

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
D
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Eurasian water milfoil, a weed not native to Frida Lake [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 07:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (01:15) correct 16% (01:31) wrong based on 218 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Eurasian water milfoil, a weed not native to Frida Lake, has reproduced prolifically since being accidentally introduced there. In order to eliminate the weed, biologists proposed treating infested parts of the lake with a certain herbicide that is nontoxic for humans and aquatic animals. However, the herbicide might damage populations of certain rare plant species that the lake contains. For this reason local officials rejected the proposal.

Which of the following, if true, points out the most serious weakness in the officials' grounds for rejecting the biologists' proposal?

A)The continuing spread of Eurasian water milfoil in Frida Lake threatens to choke out the lake's rare plant species.
B) Because of ecological conditions prevailing in its native habitat, Eurasian water milfoil is not as dominant there as it is in Frida Lake.
C) The proliferation of Eurasian water milfoil in Frida Lake has led to reductions in the populations of some species of aquatic animals.
D) Although Eurasian water milfoil could be mechanically removed from Frida Lake, eliminating the weed would take far longer this way than it would using herbicides.
E) Unless Eurasian water milfoil is completely eliminated from Frida Lake, it will quickly spread again once herbicide treatments or other control measures cease.

आत्मनॊ मोक्षार्थम् जगद्धिताय च

Resource: GMATPrep RCs With Solution

SC Moderator
D
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 200 Q1 V1
GPA: 4
WE: Analyst (Retail)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Eurasian water milfoil, a weed not native to Frida Lake [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2016, 11:35
Possible weakeners: 1) The rare plant species can be regrown after the use of the herbicide
2) The rare plant species will die out if the lake is not treated with the herbicide.

A)The continuing spread of Eurasian water milfoil in Frida Lake threatens to choke out the lake's rare plant species. - Correct.

B) Because of ecological conditions prevailing in its native habitat, Eurasian water milfoil is not as dominant there as it is in Frida Lake. - Incorrect. Irrelevant

C) The proliferation of Eurasian water milfoil in Frida Lake has led to reductions in the populations of some species of aquatic animals. - Incorrect. Opposes the facts stated.

D) Although Eurasian water milfoil could be mechanically removed from Frida Lake, eliminating the weed would take far longer this way than it would using herbicides. - Incorrect. Strengthens. Mechanical removal of weeds is good if its removal doesn't affect the rate plant species.

E) Unless Eurasian water milfoil is completely eliminated from Frida Lake, it will quickly spread again once herbicide treatments or other control measures cease. - Incorrect. Out of context.

Answer: A
BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 10:17
Hey abhimahna / GMATNinja,

I was stuck between A and C here. I eliminated C because option C talks about aquatic animals whereas the reasoning given by the local officials is regarding their concern for rare plant species.

Option C doesn't weaken the local officials reasoning

Is my understanding correct here?

My journey From 410 to 700 :-)
Here's my experience when I faced a glitch in my GMAT Exam
Don't do this mistake when you give your GMATPrep Mock!

1 KUDOS received
CR Forum Moderator
G
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2018, 10:50
pikolo2510 wrote:
Hey abhimahna / GMATNinja,

I was stuck between A and C here. I eliminated C because option C talks about aquatic animals whereas the reasoning given by the local officials is regarding their concern for rare plant species.

Option C doesn't weaken the local officials reasoning

Is my understanding correct here?

Hi Pikolo,

You are indeed correct. (C) is incorrect because it talks about the elimination of animals. Our premise only cares about rare species of plants. (A) says that if you do not use the herbicide, the plants will die no matter what. So, you must use it to give the plants a chance.

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 2.9
WE: Business Development (Real Estate)

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 08:10
A as per me. B,D and E strengthen the position taken by officials. Between A and C. A is the better choice!
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 08:38
Would you elaborate Option A?

Eurasian milfoil is weed, not good for lake.

Biologist proposal: Herbicide is non-toxic to human and aquatic life but will decrease population of rare plant species.
Local Officials rejected biologist proposal.

Now I don't understand why A is ground for refusal of biologist proposal.

Vyshak wrote:
Possible weakeners: 1) The rare plant species can be regrown after the use of the herbicide
2) The rare plant species will die out if the lake is not treated with the herbicide.

A)The continuing spread of Eurasian water milfoil in Frida Lake threatens to choke out the lake's rare plant species. - Correct.

B) Because of ecological conditions prevailing in its native habitat, Eurasian water milfoil is not as dominant there as it is in Frida Lake. - Incorrect. Irrelevant

C) The proliferation of Eurasian water milfoil in Frida Lake has led to reductions in the populations of some species of aquatic animals. - Incorrect. Opposes the facts stated.

D) Although Eurasian water milfoil could be mechanically removed from Frida Lake, eliminating the weed would take far longer this way than it would using herbicides. - Incorrect. Strengthens. Mechanical removal of weeds is good if its removal doesn't affect the rate plant species.

E) Unless Eurasian water milfoil is completely eliminated from Frida Lake, it will quickly spread again once herbicide treatments or other control measures cease. - Incorrect. Out of context.

1 KUDOS received
CR Forum Moderator
G
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.32
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 09:23
gvij2017 wrote:

Biologist proposal: Herbicide is non-toxic to human and aquatic life but will decrease population of rare plant species.

Vyshak wrote:

We are trying to WEAKEN the argument that we shouldn't use the herbicide. So, using the double-negative, we want a solution that proves the biologist wrong. We want to strengthen the idea that we SHOULD use the herbicide.

Does this help?

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Board of Directors
G
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2018, 11:27
gvij2017 wrote:

Option (A) simply states that if Eurasian milfoil if not treated it might damage populations of certain rare plant species that the lake contains, thus damage to the rare plant species/animals is inevitable (Whether we treat herbicide /don't), so why blame the herbicides only for the issue, the weed is also responsible for the damage as well.

I rather term it horns of a dilemma, in either way damage to plants and animals can not be avoided !!

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Eurasian water milfoil, a weed not native to Frida Lake   [#permalink] 11 Jun 2018, 11:27

Eurasian water milfoil, a weed not native to Frida Lake

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap