Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 105
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.08
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: York University (Schulich) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 404 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Re: Evaluate my Study Plan [#permalink]
Kudos
sounds like a sound plan... I will say this... stay flexible!

Currently your split is equal between time spent on quant and verbal. A 41 in Q will be much harder to improve upon without some time spent doing challenging questions. Many people have done the jump from 45 to 50 by using the GMAT club question banks. Consider that if you get to the 45 bracket and stop seeing improvements.

Verbal - SC is something every 700 score has mastered. Really spend some time getting comfortable with it and even doing the questions in a minute. I found that RC is my strong suit so my time spent on practice has not been as intensive. You may find the same. As such, no need to go and purchase all the materials if you wont end up using it. I would start with the MGMAT materials, if you find them lacking then go out and seek for a replacement.

Also when you purchase any one of the MGMAT strategy guides you get access to their 6 cats for free (well its included in the price of the book) so no need to separately purchase them.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Thank you everyone for the additional advice! I'll keep posting my updates and thoughts on the material as I progress through it.

I'll definitely check out the PowerScore GMAT CR Bible and RC 99 books when I get to those two sections. I'll need to better evaluate my comfort level with those questions before spending the money on the purchase.

I'll for sure try to stay flexible! I think it's a very important component. My goal is to be able to consistently get around 48-49 in the Qaunt section and then really focus on the Verbal section to drive the overall score up. Once I can score in the 45 range comfortably I'll check out the GMAT Club questions banks as well. Sentence corrections seems to be the easiest section to improve in the verbal section. I will definitely want to master that before moving on to either CR and RC which I feel more comfortable with.

Thank you all for you support and advice!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Wanted to post an upadte on my study schedule. I have currently finished the MGMAT Number Properties booklet and have started the MGMAT Word Translation guide. I found the MGMAT Number Properties book to be extremely useful. It provided me with shortcuts and tips for things that I knew how to do making me much more efficient. While going through the material I've been taking extensive notes, studying my notes before doing the OG questions. I've been keeping an error log and trying to figure out my weaknesses within this section. I've also downloaded miguelmick's flashcards (my-comprehensive-quant-flashcards-109836.html) and have found them extremely useful. They help test any of my weak areas and also added some tips that I hadn't seen in the book. Although I haven't had too much difficulty with the Number Properties section, I seem to make dumb mistakes with more complex exponent problems.

I'm finding the Word Translation section very useful so far. I have a lot of trouble with the combinatoric section. Does anyone have a set of exercises that I could practice to improve my capacity to translate these types of questions (often getting confused between combination and permutation)? While I study this section I'll be making note cards for the previous booklet to keep the material fresh and continuously test myself.

Voila just a short update.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Update #2 (27 - 2 - 2012):

I have now finished the MGMAT Word Translations Guide. I have completed all of the OG12 problems within the booklet and am going to tackle the advanced ones soon. I'm noticing that I have difficulty with algebraic translation: I either get it right away, or struggle and spend way too much time trying to figure it out. I'm also finding that I'm a bit slow when the calculations start getting intensive.

I was wondering if anyone had specific problem sets to practice algebraic translation type questions? I think the more I practice these the more comfortable I will be with them.

I was also wondering if anyone had some extra advice for becoming more comfortable with performing "complex" math. I tend to be slow with bigger numbers. Does anyone have a website that I could use to improve this?

Any help would be much appreciated!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Update #3 (5-03-2012):

I'm halfway through my third Quant booklet. I did not progress as much as I would like. Kind of hit a low point and lacked the motivation to study the entire week. But I've hopefully kicked myself back into gear and plan on finishing two of the booklets this week. I'm looking forward to finishing up the Quant section and going over my mistakes so I can take another diagnostic test and track my improvements/what still need improving before moving on to the Verbal section.

As I mentioned last week I am having trouble with algebraic translations and any problems that fall in this sub-category would be welcome. I also seem to have trouble with problems involving cobinatorics. This is something I have always been weak in and would love some problems to improve this area.

All help is very appreciated.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I also want to thank everyone that has responded to Yekrut. I have found some of these comments helpful in my situation as well.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hello everyone,

Here's another update. I'm not going to lie, I've hit a rut. I'm lacking motivation and drive to put in the studying hours and do the exercises. I've probably spent about 2 hours total this past week working on the problems. I have now fallen behind schedule and feel down.

I was wondering if any of you had gone through a similar experience and if you had any advice of how to get back on the horse? What kind of advice do you have for someone struggling to find the motivation and drive? Any advice or experiences would be very welcome.

Cheers,
Manager
Manager
Send PM
grvacademy wrote:
thanks for the plan..

You're welcome!

Still looking for advice about over coming a lull in my studying. Anyone else have this experience? And if so what did you do to over come it?

Cheers,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V41
Send PM
Kudos
Yekrut:

Studying for the GMAT is a big undertaking, but nevertheless an extremely important one. Staying motivated to keep up your intense studying can sometimes be hard. I’m going to give you a few ideas that I have used to stay motivated. Hopefully they can improve your GMAT motivation as well.

1) Remember why you are doing this in the first place. Is it because you want to bring morals back to the business world? Whatever it is, picture yourself as the successful person you want to be, and think about the changes you will make. Envision that you have already achieved the accomplishments you desire. Think about how good it’s going to feel when you get there.
2) I know that I have certain movies that get me psyched up, and I bet you do too. I like to picture myself as the main character in some of my favorite movies and that gets me in the mood to study. It lets me imagine what my life will be like in the future and really revs up my GMAT motivation.

3) Just like the movies, I also have some motivating songs. For whatever the reason may be, we all have songs that make us feel good. It may bring back certain memories or make you daydream of the future. These songs are great to throw on your mp3 player to listen to while you are studying.

4) Like it or not, money is a big motivator. When you find it hard to crack open the book to study, think about all the nice things you’ve always dreamed of having. Think about that fancy house on the lake that you will be able to afford when you get your good paying job in the future. Picture yourself in that sweet sports car. Whatever you need to do to keep your GMAT motivation, do it.

Virtually everyone goes through periods of wanting to give up. Studying for the GMAT is hard. But you have to stay motivated. These tips may seem childish or selfish, but they can work. Would you rather try one of these tips or flunk the GMAT because you gave up trying?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Kudos
I am kind of hitting my own personal rut... I think after 4 months of intense study (20+ hours per week) and I am burned out... so I took a vacation... now im back and need to snap out of vacation mode and kick it into high gear.

For me, deadlines motivate me. I have a very detailed study plan for the next 3 weeks and I will make sure i hit them. But different things motivate different people. Also, the weather in NYC has been super nice and its only March... so the thought of spending my summer studying is discouraging... thus I want to be done and tested ASAP.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you dynamic for your kind words. I agree with much of what you have said. I have indeed lost sight of my original reason of doing the GMAT: bolster my CV use my score as a strength when applying for a consulting position. Bringing this back in the picture will hopefully help me hit the books again.

You are also very correct about music and movies! You've actually just reminded me of a TV show I really enjoy: Mad Men. Who wouldn't want to be Donald Draper (or at least some aspects of him). Hopefully watching the show will get me back in the mood to study.

Thank you very much for your motivating words!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
wallstreetbarbie wrote:
I am kind of hitting my own personal rut... I think after 4 months of intense study (20+ hours per week) and I am burned out... so I took a vacation... now im back and need to snap out of vacation mode and kick it into high gear.

For me, deadlines motivate me. I have a very detailed study plan for the next 3 weeks and I will make sure i hit them. But different things motivate different people. Also, the weather in NYC has been super nice and its only March... so the thought of spending my summer studying is discouraging... thus I want to be done and tested ASAP.

I'm actually going to be taking a vacation next week as well. I hope to come back refreshed and ready to study. Hopefully I'll be able to bounce back as you have. It's very comforting to know that I am not the only one who has struggled with motivation. Thank you for your advice. Hope you bounce back strong and hit all of your targets!
GMAT Club Bot