Last visit was: 10 May 2024, 06:34 It is currently 10 May 2024, 06:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2064 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2064 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Evaluation request, URM and female [#permalink]
Expert Reply
teesmartgirl wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
teesmartgirl wrote:
28 URM female
2.5 GPA from a state school. First generation college student. Marketing major. interned with a non profit museum in the sales department. Also interned with a large REIT company in their regional office as a Marketing Assistant
650 Gmat
5 years WE in (One of the 4 big banks )retail banking(2 years full time prior to graduation). Currently work as a Commercial Fraud Analyst (3rd promotion)

Volunteer 15-20 hours per year for work related
6 months as an organizer out of 4 total for a young professionals networking group.
Participant in college of a Women's empowerment group, First year class treasurer, Honda All Star challenge participant (something similar to Jeopardy)
I'd like to use my experience to land a marketing role or even in a general leadership program. I wouldn't mind working in a Marketing position in a financial services company, but ideally I prefer to work with a CPG company like P&G. I'm also open to retail marketing.
Please chance me at:
Duke
Emory
Indiana
Georgetown
WUSTL
Vanderbilt
UNC
Texas
Rice
Ohio State
Wisconsin
Maryland

Hello there!
Thanks for writing.
Well, you have a tough GPA there to work with, which will make things harder. I think that some of the schools in your list (Duke, UNC, Emory, Austin) are gonna be unfortunately out of range. The GMAT scores are 40-50 points higher than what you have, and their average GPAs is also gonna be significantly higher.

Probably you should apply to schools where your GMAT is more in range (so in the 35-60 ranking about), and that will give you your best chances,

Best,
Jon

Thank you for responding!
Indiana is my dream school. Is there anything that I could do to make me a more competitive applicant there? Also, I plan on applying via the Consortium. So do you think that I have a better chance at Simon or Wisconsin as their stats are more aligned with mine?

Posted from my mobile device

Hey there,
So well I will be the first one to tell you you should try! Being a female and a n underrepresented minority is always an X-factor which can work out for your benefit especially if you can show some good community involvement. At the same time, realize what you are up against - an average GPA of 3.3 and an average GMAT 20 points higher. I think if you take these things head on and express your passion for Kelly, you can still have a shot.

In general, I wouldn't say "School X is too hard" or whatever. (Although maybe Duke in Top 10 is really out of range) but what's important is that you have a very balanced strategy. Meaning apply to 1-2 hard schools... great! And then apply to 2-3 schools where you will be competitive and then one or two where you are better than the average student. At the end taking such an application strategy will leave you with the best results.

Plus, going through the Consortium, you do have that distinct advantage...

Hope this helps!
Best,
Jon
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Evaluation request, URM and female [#permalink]
Great thank you!

Posted from my mobile device