GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Feb 2019, 05:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in February
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT RC Webinar

February 23, 2019

February 23, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Learn reading strategies that can help even non-voracious reader to master GMAT RC. Saturday, February 23rd at 7 AM PT
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

February 24, 2019

February 24, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Even their most ardent champions concede that no less than a technical

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Re: Even their most ardent champions concede that no less than a technical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2010, 09:49
The question states that "no less than a technical and scientific breakthrough is necessary". No less than here implies that whatever their champions do should be atleast equal to a technical and scientific breakthrough which is what option C states but in a more concise way.

Hence C.
Intern
Intern
Re: Even their most ardent champions concede that no less than a technical  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2010, 20:57
I will go for A. but C is more precise and slightly changes the meaning of the sentence..

After all, on the D Day, What ever it is, Gmat is correct
VP
VP
GPA: 3.77
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Oct 2010, 00:57
rohinipathi wrote:
I will go for A. but C is more precise and slightly changes the meaning of the sentence..

After all, on the D Day, What ever it is, Gmat is correct

Сorrect !

this question is from OG 10th. #242.

Explanations:
C is the best choice. The word that functions grammatically to introduce the clause that describes the point that champions of solar cells concede. Choices A and B needlessly lengthen the statement by expressing the idea through negation: no less than and nothing other than could be dropped without loss of meaning. In D and E, the preposition/or is less idiomatic than o/in expressing necessity. Furthermore, both choices present an awkward and wordy noun-plus-prepositional phrase instead of a that clause that would express meaning more exactly and concisely.

One thing what I du not understand is it necessary to use "for" aftrer the word "necessary" in C?

thanks

Audaces fortuna juvat!

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 03:29
No less than means at least right? so there could be something beyond a technical or scientific breakthrough, I'm not sure what but there could be something. Isn't it?
So why are we considering only a technical or scientific breakthrough? Can someone please throw some light on this?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Schools: Insead '14, ISB '15
GMAT Date: 08-28-2014
GPA: 3.86
WE: Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2014, 09:01
tarek99 wrote:
Even their most ardent champions concede that no less than a technical or scientific breakthrough is necessary before solar cells can meet the goal of providing one percent of the nation’s energy needs.

(A) that no less than a technical or scientific breakthrough is necessary

(B) that nothing other than a technical or scientific breakthrough is needed

(C) that a technical or scientific breakthrough is necessary

(D) the necessity for an occurrence of a technical or scientific breakthrough

(E) the necessity for a technical or scientific breakthrough occurring

In this problem, I chose B, but the OA is C. What makes C better than B?
Thanks

Its C !!

Reasoning as follows :

first deconstruct the sentence in its smaller dependent clauses or independent clauses

Dependent Clause 1 - Even their most ardent champions concede < Subject is their, Verb is Conceded >

Dependent Clause 2 - that no less < that subject ...Verb - absent >

Dependent Clause 3 - than a technical or scientific breakthrough is necessary[/u] before solar cells can meet the goal of providing one percent of the nation’s energy needs. < Subject - A technical & scientific breakthrough, Verb - is necessary >

Now Structure of Complete sentence is DC1+DC2+DC3 = 1 IC

In this DC2 : lacks verb because of which it is wrong in A & B

In C : 2 Dc are connected by that , to make 1 IC, thus most appropiate andwer.

Tip : In case of confusion, always deconstruct sentence into its main & sub clauses.

Regards
ST

G-prep1 540 --> Kaplan 580-->Veritas 640-->MGMAT 590 -->MGMAT 2 640 --> MGMAT 3 640 ---> MGMAT 4 650 -->MGMAT 5 680 -- >GMAT prep 1 570

Give your best shot...rest leave upto Mahadev, he is the extractor of all negativity in the world !!

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2016, 17:53
It doesnt change meaning if its the maximum output.

I need no less than a 100% from the team

I need a 100% from the team

You cant get more than technical or scientific breakthrough, thats the highest level of change. IMO.
Manager
Manager
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2016, 10:01
Is the use of "No less than..." always wordy, thus wrong?

C is simple and perfect. Can anyone please explain, Are other options grammatically sound?

We Shall Overcome... One day...

Retired Moderator
S
Schools: German MBA
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2016, 09:35
nahid78 wrote:

C is simple and perfect. Can anyone please explain, Are other options grammatically sound?

"No less than" is not wordy - "No less than the power of 5 horses is required to move this chariot."... correct.

D and E are wrong: concede the necessity is wrong usage.

A is wrong because technical or scientific breakthrough is not a measurable quantity - hence "less than" does not apply.

B is grammatically alright, but in the context of the sentence "nothing other than" is awkward. It implies that there are other things that had some chance to be needed, but ultimately "breakthrough" is the only one that is needed.
Intern
Intern
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2016, 05:57

(A) No less than 100$ is needed
(B) Nothing other than 100$ is needed
(C) 100$ is needed

I think, (B) and (C) convey the same meaning, where as (A) conveys different meaning (anything >= 100$ is fine)

Thanks.

Once you know the answer, it is easy to justify.

Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 19 Apr 2017, 21:48
Neochronic wrote:
Even their most ardent champions concede that no less than a technical or scientific breakthrough is necessary before solar cells can meet the goal of providing one percent of the nation’s energy needs.

Answer ExplanationC is the best choice.

The word that functions grammatically to introduce the clause that describes the point that champions of solar cells concede.

Choices A and B needlessly lengthen the statement by expressing the idea through negation: no less than and nothing other than could be dropped without loss of meaning.

In D and E, the preposition for is less idiomatic than of in expressing necessity. Futhermore, both choices present an awkward and wordy noun-plus-prepositional phrase instead of a that clause that would express meaning more exactly and concisely.

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2018, 23:07
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
tarek99 wrote:

In this problem, I chose B, but the OA is C. What makes C better than B?
Thanks

Go for brevity. There is nothing wrong with C so why chose the wordier B?

Technically there is nothing wrong with C but it changes the meaning of the sentence.
Option A says that a minimum of 'a technical or Scientific breakthrough' is required before solar cells. But Option C only says that 'a technical or Scientific breakthrough' is necessary.
Manager
Manager
S
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2018, 06:41
DmitryFarber, KyleWiddison, PrashantPonde, hazelnut , daagh

This is an old post. But it would be great if you can spare some time and answer the question.

why is option A incorrect?

(A) that no less than a technical or scientific breakthrough is necessary —-> for me, ‘No less than X’ means ‘at least X or more’ - so but it doesn’t necessarily mean ‘only x’. hence option A is still a valid option.

(B) that nothing other than a technical or scientific breakthrough is needed —> for me, the is equivalent to ‘only x’ and that is not what author wants to convey.

(C) that a technical or scientific breakthrough is necessary —> for me, again, this is similar to option B —> the is equivalent to ‘only x’ and that is not what author wants to convey.

thank you for your time.
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
WE: Analyst (Consumer Products)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 00:27
sayantanc2k wrote:
nahid78 wrote:

"No less than" is not wordy - "No less than the power of 5 horses is required to move this chariot."... correct.

D and E are wrong: concede the necessity is wrong usage.

A is wrong because technical or scientific breakthrough is not a measurable quantity - hence "less than" does not apply.

B is grammatically alright, but in the context of the sentence "nothing other than" is awkward. It implies that there are other things that had some chance to be needed, but ultimately "breakthrough" is the only one that is needed.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but less, which is used for uncountable objects, is used correctly here IMO.

Press +1 if my explanation helps. Thanks!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.6
WE: Analyst (Transportation)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 16 Feb 2019, 02:15
sterny wrote:
ahh..

this is where i start to lose GMAT.

For me, A and B have different meaning and intention than C.
"no less than A" is not equal to "A" for me. The spirit of the sentence is to impart a sense of urgency and re-iterate the fact that efforts may be put in place, but the efforts will not succed unless they reach a certain level.

On the other hand, C seems to indicate that "a technical breakthrough is necessary", but does not address the fact that there may be efforts in place which may not be classified as technical breakthroughs, and therefore will fail.

anyone else see it this way?

While I ended up choosing C based on grammar, I do see your point my friend!

Usually, such issues are more common among non-official questions, but as it seems even the GMAC is prone to create such potentially confusing questions.

A couple of things that helped me in verbal:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-strategies-268700.html#p2082192

Gmat Prep CAT #1: V42, Q34, 630
Gmat Prep CAT #2: V46, Q35, 660
Gmat Prep CAT #3: V41, Q42, 680

On the mission to improve my quant score, all help is appreciated! :)

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Even their most ardent champions concede that no less than a technical   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2019, 02:15

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 34 posts ] 

Even their most ardent champions concede that no less than a technical

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap