It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 16:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Even though the state has spent ten years

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 57

Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Even though the state has spent ten years [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2015, 01:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (01:02) correct 28% (01:05) wrong based on 153 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars planning a reservoir along the Ubi River, the project will have to be abandoned as a result of the river becoming so heavily polluted.

(A) will have to be abandoned as a result of the river becoming so heavily polluted

(B) is to be abandoned on account of the heavy pollution which the river received

(C) had to be abandoned because the river had received such heavy pollution

(D) has to be abandoned because of the river and its heavy pollution

(E) must be abandoned because the river has become so heavily polluted

Hi can anybody explain the usage of "so" in option E - I think it is wrong/non-idiomatic
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Apoorv

I realize that i cannot change the world....But i can play a part :)

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 57

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 349

Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Re: Even though the state has spent ten years [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Jul 2015, 03:16
apoorv601 wrote:
Even though the state has spent ten years and seven million dollars planning a reservoir along the Ubi River, the project will have to be abandoned as a result of the river becoming so heavily polluted.

(A) will have to be abandoned as a result of the river becoming so heavily polluted

(B) is to be abandoned on account of the heavy pollution which the river received

Hi can anybody explain the usage of "so" in option E - I think it is wrong/non-idiomatic

Hi apoorv601!
Lets look at answer choices.
A is awkward and uses incorrect tense.
B has incorrect usage of "which" (comma is required)
C Use of past perfect is incorrect since it looks that river had become polluted before project started
D Awkward construction "because of the river and its pollution". Looks like there are two independent reasons to abandon a project
E is a correct choice. The use of "so" here is equal to "very much". Example "A boy failed his exam so bad"
Hope it helps!

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 349

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 02 Jul 2015, 01:55
apoorv601 wrote:

this question is tense problem.
"as a result of river" in A and D is not logic to show the reason of the main clause.
both "received" in B and "had received" in C is not logic to go with the tense of main clause. we can not say that something will happen because of an action in the past. sequence of tense problem.
in E, present perfect, show an action which is still happening at the moment of speaking.

to do this question , we need to know about past tense and present perfect tense.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 152 [0], given: 916

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 576

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 09:44

The intent of the sentence is that a project was abandoned because it polluted the river ABC to a large extent.

(A) will have to be abandoned as a result of the river becoming so heavily polluted Not correct -
this means that pollution caused the abandonment - which is not true

(B) is to be abandoned on account of the heavy pollution which the river received same issue as A

(C) had to be abandoned because the river had received such heavy pollution can you 'receive' pollution? That would be unfortunate : imagine standing with balloons and cake to welcome a barrel of sludge :/

(D) has to be abandoned because of the river and its heavy pollution no need for 'and' -- river is not separate from the pollutants in it

(E) must be abandoned because the river has become so heavily polluted most clear in meaning and cause effect implication;
repairs the issue in A

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 576

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7602 [0], given: 360

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 11:25
Top Contributor
This post was
BOOKMARKED

(A) will have to be abandoned as a result of the river becoming so heavily polluted -- 'As a result of' is a synonym of' 'due to', which cannot follow a verbed action.

(B) is to be abandoned on account of the heavy pollution which the river receive --- 'pollution the river received' is awkward

(C) had to be abandoned because the river had received such heavy pollution -- tense problem; the river receiving pollution is awkward; In addition, pollution is a perpetual affair; we cannot limit to the past or past perfect tense.
(D) has to be abandoned because of the river and its heavy pollution -- The abandonment is not because of the river but because of the pollution.

(E) must be abandoned because the river has become so heavily polluted-- ' must be' is more formal and preferred usage in written English.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7602 [0], given: 360

Re: Even though the state has spent ten years   [#permalink] 27 Aug 2017, 11:25