GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 25 Apr 2019, 07:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Except for one class in history and one in biology, all the student's

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Math Expert
V
Except for one class in history and one in biology, all the student's  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2018, 08:37
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

41% (01:30) correct 59% (01:27) wrong based on 362 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Except for one class in history and one in biology, all the student's graduation requirements have been fulfilled.

(A) Except for one class in history and one in biology, all the student's graduation requirements have been fulfilled.

(B) Except for needing to take one class in history and one in biology, the student has fulfilled all of his requirements for graduation.

(C) The student has fulfilled all his graduation requirements except for one class in history and one in biology.

(D) Except for one history class and one biology class, the student has fulfilled all of his graduation requirements.

(E) Aside from the history class and biology class that he needs to take, the student's graduation requirements have all been fulfilled.

B
Reviews Badge
Re: Except for one class in history and one in biology, all the student's  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2018, 00:18
Looks like B. A,D and E have modifier errors. C implies that class is a graduation requirement and hence C is also out. what is the OA

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
V
Re: Except for one class in history and one in biology, all the student's  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Aug 2018, 01:02
Bunuel wrote:
Except for one class in history and one in biology, all the student's graduation requirements have been fulfilled.

(A) Except for one class in history and one in biology, all the student's graduation requirements have been fulfilled.

(B) Except for needing to take one class in history and one in biology, the student has fulfilled all of his requirements for graduation.

(C) The student has fulfilled all his graduation requirements except for one class in history and one in biology.

(D) Except for one history class and one biology class, the student has fulfilled all of his graduation requirements.

(E) Aside from the history class and biology class that he needs to take, the student's graduation requirements have all been fulfilled.

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

One of the reasons this question is difficult is because except for and aside from do not create modifiers; the phrases they begin don't describe an unnamed subject or object. Once you realize that, you can see that what really differentiates the answer choices is expression, not grammar. Scanning for differences, you can see that have been fulfilled is a passive and wordier alternative to has fulfilled. Eliminate (A) and (E). Next, graduation requirements is superior to requirements for graduation so eliminate (B). Finally, the meaning of (C) is less clear than that of (D) because of the confusing word order of (C). Therefore, (D) wins.

An 800 test taker knows that many sentences are challenging primarily because they contain unfamiliar syntax or sentence structure. He pauses to understand the sentence before looking for familiar errors.
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Jan 2019, 23:49
Can someone explain why C is wrong ?
Manager
Manager
S
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2019, 02:12
The original sentence says that the student's requirements have been fulfilled, which means differently than "student has fulfilled"

Can someone please explain.
VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2019, 03:47
Bunuel wrote:

A, B, C are incorrectly comparing a class in history with something in biology

This one is error free, history class is parallel to biology class, the student is the correct referent

Who is he referring back to ??, it should had been a student not his graduation -> Incorrect

Quote which i can relate to.
Many of life's failures happen with people who do not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2019, 03:49
siddharthfrancis wrote:
Can someone explain why C is wrong ?

I would like to pitch in

C is incorrectly comparing one class in history with something in biology, it should correctly compare a class, correctly done in D.

Many of life's failures happen with people who do not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.
VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2019, 03:59
raghavrf wrote:
The original sentence says that the student's requirements have been fulfilled, which means differently than "student has fulfilled"

Can someone please explain.

I believe you are absolutely correct in your reasoning.

Student's graduation requirements would refer to a single student and his graduation requirements

Since there is a plural verb "have", it gives you a singular-plural verb mismatch, apart from this there were other errors as well.

Let me know if this helps you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 580 Q47 V23
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2019, 05:18

Here "Except for one class in history and one in biology" is modifying students' graduation requirements. This cannot be correct. It should modify a student here. So this choice can be ELIMINATED.

Present tense is not needed here. So this choice can be ELIMINATED.

All his graduation requirements and all of his graduation requirements have a slight difference. Though this sentence conveys the intended meaning "all of his graduation requirements" mentions that there are a certain set of graduation requirements, of which all are fulfilled except two. So comparing this choice with option D, there is a better way to convey meaning in option D than option C. So this choice can be ELIMINATED.

This choice perfectly mentions, "the student has fulfilled all of his graduation requirements". Conveys the intended meaning. This is the correct choice.

This choice has the same error as in option A. The modifier modifies student's graduation requirements. So this choice can be ELIMINATED.

OPTION: D

Chaitanya

+1 Kudos

if you like my explanation!!!
Manager
Manager
B
Except for one class in history and one in biology, all the student's  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2019, 17:37
Bunuel wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

One of the reasons this question is difficult is because except for and aside from do not create modifiers; the phrases they begin don't describe an unnamed subject or object. Once you realize that, you can see that what really differentiates the answer choices is expression, not grammar. Scanning for differences, you can see that have been fulfilled is a passive and wordier alternative to has fulfilled. Eliminate (A) and (E). Next, graduation requirements is superior to requirements for graduation so eliminate (B). Finally, the meaning of (C) is less clear than that of (D) because of the confusing word order of (C). Therefore, (D) wins.

An 800 test taker knows that many sentences are challenging primarily because they contain unfamiliar syntax or sentence structure. He pauses to understand the sentence before looking for familiar errors.

I don't completely agree with the OE. Can someone help.
I chose B since the graduation requirement is not the classes but the requirement is to take classes. No other option have this missing verb(take/need/finish/complete).

In other words isn't it appropriate to say:
If you want to graduate, you need to take classes in biology/history. OR
If you want to graduate, you need to finish/complete your classes in biology/history.

Eliminating option B because of its length will be the last thing to be done after any other option is equal to it in all other aspects.
Non-Human User
Re: Except for one class in history and one in biology, all the  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Apr 2019, 07:16
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Except for one class in history and one in biology, all the   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2019, 07:16

Except for one class in history and one in biology, all the student's

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap