Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:23 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Darden Full-Time MBA Application Goes Live: Join the Class of 2024! [#permalink]
FROM Darden EMBA Blog: Darden Full-Time MBA Application Goes Live: Join the Class of 2024!
The application to join Darden’s full-time MBA Class of 2024 is now live! 

Darden applicants will find even more ways to showcase their candidacy through a range of flexible standardized test options and additional opportunities to craft an impactful narrative. The admissions team looks forward to connecting with candidates through a suite of engagements, including application workshops, webinars, virtual coffee chats and more. Read the full press release on the Darden Report for details.

For insights on the new application cycle, join Executive Director of Admissions Dawna Clarke and Senior Director of Admissions Whitney Kestner for next week’s webinar: Introducing Darden’s Full-Time MBA Application for the Class of 2024.

2022 Admissions Cycle Application Deadlines
Darden offers four application rounds:

• Early Action: Thursday, 9 September 2021
  • Round 1: Wednesday, 6 October 2021
  • Round 2: Wednesday, 5 January 2022
  • Round 3: Wednesday, 6 April 2022
“With the world’s best faculty, record career outcomes and strong momentum across a variety of metrics, there has never been a better time to be an MBA student at the Darden School.” said Dean Scott Beardsley. “I look forward to connecting with applicants in the coming months and discussing how Darden can help them reach their goals.”

Darden kept buildings open during the past academic year, and offered a host of continuous in-person experiences and classes while maintaining a safe environment. The School recently announced that it is planning to begin the 2021-22 academic year with normal operations and in-person instruction.

Holistic Approach
Darden’s application process for the full-time MBA reflects the School’s longstanding holistic approach to admission with opportunities for you to present your best self through your application.

The admissions team considers application criteria including:

• Grades

• Strength of undergraduate curriculum

• Work experience

• Extracurricular accomplishments

• Essays

• Standardized tests

• Demonstrations of leadership

• Recommendations

• Personal experiences

• Interview with Admissions team

More Options for Applicants
Test flexibility and optionality of essay questions will allow every student the opportunity to demonstrate their strengths, shape their narrative and craft the most complete and compelling application. The application will again feature a series of short essays related to the School’s core values, including questions related to diversity and inclusion, leadership and collaboration. New for this year, applicants will be able to choose from a limited menu of essay prompts, and are also offered space to share more about their personal history.

We will once again accept a range of standardized test options, including GMAT, GRE, MCAT, LSAT and the Executive Assessment. These tests are all viewed equivalently by the admissions team. For applicants who would like demonstrate their academic readiness without a standardized test, we will again offer a standardized test waiver request process. For those who would like to be considered, candidates will be asked to present strong alternate evidence to demonstrate their readiness through academic and professional accomplishments. Review the Standardized Test FAQs for more details.

Early Action Round
The Early Action round (application deadline 9 September) is designed for candidates who know Darden is a top choice. Candidates who apply early action have the opportunity to schedule their interview on their own timeline and do not need to wait for an invitation. Once open interview slots are filled, interviews are by invitation.

All Early Action applicants are invited to compete for Darden distinguished scholarships, regardless of which option they select.

After a successful 2020-21 application cycle, we are excited to again offer an optional binding Early Action path, ideal for candidates who know that Darden is their school of choice. Those admitted via this path will gain access to a host of opportunities, including networking opportunities, career resources and access to pre-matriculation learning modules.

The standard non-binding Early Action path is also available — and all early applicants will benefit from  receiving early consideration for the full suite of Darden scholarships. Read the press release for more details, and make sure to subscribe to the Discover Darden blog for FAQs and more application insights in the coming weeks!

Connect with Darden
We will continue to offer a suite of ways to connect with the admissions team and learn more about the Darden experience throughout the application cycle, including:

Scholarships and Financial Aid Programs
Darden strives to be both affordable and accessible for students and offers robust financial aid programs to meritorious students. Additionally, scholarships seek to both honor accomplishments and potential and make a Darden MBA attainable for students from all backgrounds.

Learn more about Darden’s roster of merit-based, competitive and need-based scholarships on our web page, including the new Oculus Fellowship – which is intended to award outstanding academic ability, achievement, and potential and promise as a visionary leader in business.

Career Electives
The Darden faculty and Career Center recently teamed up to create an exciting new menu of Career Elective Guides. These innovative online guides introduce students to skills necessary to work in top global industries and roles, and identify corresponding Darden elective coursework designed to help students develop and hone those career-specific skills. More information about these guides will be available soon!

Be sure to consult the Latest News regularly for the most updated news releases and media hits. Check out faculty thought leadership published on Ideas to Action. And stay connected with us via social media: FacebookInstagramLinkedInTwitterWeChat
The post Darden Full-Time MBA Application Goes Live: Join the Class of 2024! first appeared on Discover Darden.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
VP
VP
Send PM
Future Year Friday: The Value of Work Experience During Deferred Enrol [#permalink]
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Future Year Friday: The Value of Work Experience During Deferred Enrollment
Today on the blog we check in with our enrolled Future Year Scholars to hear their thoughts on the value of gaining a few years of work experience after undergrad and prior to starting an MBA program. Katherine Alford, Director of Admissions for the Future Year Scholars Program, recently hosted a panel featuring a few students who enrolled at Darden last fall after they applied through the Future Year Scholars program and spent a few years exploring career options during their deferred enrollment period. The final 2021 application deadline is 7 June, but there’s still plenty of time to gather your materials and get started!

Personal Development
Q: The Future Year Scholars program requires students to work between 2 and 4 years prior to matriculating to the MBA program. How has your pre-MBA work experience added value to your MBA experience?

“Honestly, there are a lot of things. I think it is nice to take a step back form undergrad and gain perspective on how the world works, especially the business world before returning to school. After three years of consulting experience, I have a decent set of business skills that have transferred well into recruiting — from being able to do a networking call, to sending a cold e-mail, to being comfortable talking to people. If I had come straight from undergrad, I’m not sure I would have been as comfortable with recruiting. — Morgan Klausner (Class of 2022)

Defining Your Purpose
“Getting work experience helps you figure out what you like and what you don’t like. Often times if you have an internship in undergrad, you can get a really small sense, but once you are doing it every day for a long time, you get a more detailed look at it, and that was helpful to learn what I wanted to do longer term. I worked on different products and different markets and used that information to shape my career goals.”  — Amanda Hedgecock (Class of 2022)

When it comes to the number of years of work experience, that period of  two to four years is really important for figuring out where you want to go. I’m a pretty firm believer that it is helpful to have a direction when you get here, just because everything goes really quickly, and if you’re trying to do everything you end up doing nothing. I was in consulting, so I was on 12 different projects over the course of 3 years. Had I not had that many opportunities to try different things, maybe I would have taken another year to figure out what I liked and didn’t like. I had three years and I thought that was enough to enroll. I think what you lack in experience you can make up for in passion and perspective, so while I may not have had 7 years of experience or 3 different jobs under my belt, I have developed perspective during the time that I did work, and I can bring that to the table that might make up for my lack of years or specific jobs. — Lindsay Bralower (Class of 2022)

Preparing You for the Classroom
“Work experience really helps you in class, as well. Recently we did a case about the global incident recovery team at a tech company, and I spoke up more than usual because that is what I did for two years. People were asking me a lot of questions, as I was able to bring the real world perspective to the case we were looking at.”  — Amanda Hedgecock (Class of 2022)

Preparing You for Recruiting
When you’re interviewing with companies, naturally a recruiter is going to want to know how your past experiences have positioned you for the situations you are going to be in in whatever role and being able to speak to that in a business setting is much more powerful, so I think it helps you in the recruiting sense, because interviews are just story telling, so you have to think about which aspects of your experience are relevant and getting that work experience gives you a much larger pool to draw upon. — Amanda Hedgecock (Class of 2022)

Complementing Your Education
“Undergraduate business schools are really theoretical. Students don’t have work experience, so it’s more about talking about ideas and concepts and learning some tangible hard and soft skills. When you get to business school, it is so much more practical with the case method and learning teams and our assignments. Because you have already had that experience you know what situations are like and how you might actually have to handle them, so you go from talking about it to actually doing it which is a big difference. I felt like undergraduate business school prepared me extremely well for the job that I did out of undergrad, but not necessarily gave me an advantage for business school. If anything, I felt like my work experience gave me a leg up for business school in that I was doing very business oriented things already that reserved a lot of quantitative and qualitative skills where I had peers that came from TFA or music teachers, so if anything it’s my job that prepared me and not my undergraduate degree. — Lindsay Bralower (Class of 2022)

See more from our fourth Future Year Scholars panelist Zach DePasquale in his recent featured blog post, Making Pivots and Achieving Goals Through Deferred MBA Opportunities.

Be sure to consult the Latest News regularly for the most updated news releases and media hits. Check out faculty thought leadership published on Ideas to Action. And stay connected with us via social media: FacebookInstagramLinkedInTwitterWeChat
The post Future Year Friday: The Value of Work Experience During Deferred Enrollment first appeared on Discover Darden.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
VP
VP
Send PM
Future Year Friday: The Value of Work Experience During Deferred Enrol [#permalink]
FROM Darden EMBA Blog: Future Year Friday: The Value of Work Experience During Deferred Enrollment
Today on the blog we check in with our enrolled Future Year Scholars to hear their thoughts on the value of gaining a few years of work experience after undergrad and prior to starting an MBA program. Katherine Alford, Director of Admissions for the Future Year Scholars Program, recently hosted a panel featuring a few students who enrolled at Darden last fall after they applied through the Future Year Scholars program and spent a few years exploring career options during their deferred enrollment period. The final 2021 application deadline is 7 June, but there’s still plenty of time to gather your materials and get started!

Personal Development
Q: The Future Year Scholars program requires students to work between 2 and 4 years prior to matriculating to the MBA program. How has your pre-MBA work experience added value to your MBA experience?

“Honestly, there are a lot of things. I think it is nice to take a step back form undergrad and gain perspective on how the world works, especially the business world before returning to school. After three years of consulting experience, I have a decent set of business skills that have transferred well into recruiting — from being able to do a networking call, to sending a cold e-mail, to being comfortable talking to people. If I had come straight from undergrad, I’m not sure I would have been as comfortable with recruiting. — Morgan Klausner (Class of 2022)

Defining Your Purpose
“Getting work experience helps you figure out what you like and what you don’t like. Often times if you have an internship in undergrad, you can get a really small sense, but once you are doing it every day for a long time, you get a more detailed look at it, and that was helpful to learn what I wanted to do longer term. I worked on different products and different markets and used that information to shape my career goals.”  — Amanda Hedgecock (Class of 2022)

When it comes to the number of years of work experience, that period of  two to four years is really important for figuring out where you want to go. I’m a pretty firm believer that it is helpful to have a direction when you get here, just because everything goes really quickly, and if you’re trying to do everything you end up doing nothing. I was in consulting, so I was on 12 different projects over the course of 3 years. Had I not had that many opportunities to try different things, maybe I would have taken another year to figure out what I liked and didn’t like. I had three years and I thought that was enough to enroll. I think what you lack in experience you can make up for in passion and perspective, so while I may not have had 7 years of experience or 3 different jobs under my belt, I have developed perspective during the time that I did work, and I can bring that to the table that might make up for my lack of years or specific jobs. — Lindsay Bralower (Class of 2022)

Preparing You for the Classroom
“Work experience really helps you in class, as well. Recently we did a case about the global incident recovery team at a tech company, and I spoke up more than usual because that is what I did for two years. People were asking me a lot of questions, as I was able to bring the real world perspective to the case we were looking at.”  — Amanda Hedgecock (Class of 2022)

Preparing You for Recruiting
When you’re interviewing with companies, naturally a recruiter is going to want to know how your past experiences have positioned you for the situations you are going to be in in whatever role and being able to speak to that in a business setting is much more powerful, so I think it helps you in the recruiting sense, because interviews are just story telling, so you have to think about which aspects of your experience are relevant and getting that work experience gives you a much larger pool to draw upon. — Amanda Hedgecock (Class of 2022)

Complementing Your Education
“Undergraduate business schools are really theoretical. Students don’t have work experience, so it’s more about talking about ideas and concepts and learning some tangible hard and soft skills. When you get to business school, it is so much more practical with the case method and learning teams and our assignments. Because you have already had that experience you know what situations are like and how you might actually have to handle them, so you go from talking about it to actually doing it which is a big difference. I felt like undergraduate business school prepared me extremely well for the job that I did out of undergrad, but not necessarily gave me an advantage for business school. If anything, I felt like my work experience gave me a leg up for business school in that I was doing very business oriented things already that reserved a lot of quantitative and qualitative skills where I had peers that came from TFA or music teachers, so if anything it’s my job that prepared me and not my undergraduate degree. — Lindsay Bralower (Class of 2022)

See more from our fourth Future Year Scholars panelist Zach DePasquale in his recent featured blog post, Making Pivots and Achieving Goals Through Deferred MBA Opportunities.

The post Future Year Friday: The Value of Work Experience During Deferred Enrollment first appeared on Discover Darden.
VP
VP
Send PM
MBA/M.Ed Dual Degree Alumni Build on Program’s Innovative Foundation [#permalink]
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: MBA/M.Ed Dual Degree Alumni Build on Program’s Innovative Foundation
Today’s post wraps up the limited series featuring the decade anniversary of Darden and the School of Education and Human Development’s MBA/M.Ed Dual Degree program. [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/05/12/mba-m-ed-dual-degree-alumni-reflect-on-skills-learned-and-earned/]We previously featured[/url] MBA/M.Ed dual degree alumni Stephanie Spangler (MBA ’19), who now works in consulting, and Julieta Garcia-Vicente (MBA ’16), who is putting her degree to work as an assistant principal. [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/05/06/mba-med-dual-degree-program/]Check out the previous blog post[/url] introducing the dual degree program and how the unique partnership has evolved over the last ten years. Learn more about Darden’s [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/mba/admissions/dual-degrees]dual degree programs[/url], including the [url=https://education.virginia.edu/academics/mbamed-curriculum-instruction]MBA/M.Ed dual degree program[/url] offered with the UVA School of Education and Human Development.

[img]https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/files/2021/05/vita.jpeg[/img]
Vita Wu (MBA ’20)
[b]Vita Wu – [/b]Consultant, [url=https://www.ey.com/en_us/strategy]EY-Parthenon,[/url] MBA ’20

“Coming from teaching high school science, I knew that I wanted an MBA to break into business. But I also knew that the M.Ed degree would offer a historical and theoretical perspective for my continued work in education over the long-term. I didn’t want to take classes on how to lesson plan or behavior monitor a class, but rather to learn more of the theory and historical background for education, innovation, and educational leadership. I really wanted a deeper understanding of the evolution of education and attempts at innovation in the space. A highlight for me was forming our dual degree cohort and community. I will never forget the debates we had in one course on designing a national curriculum.”

[b]Sam Nelson[/b] [b]– [/b]Senior Director of Content, [url=https://www.dataquest.io/]Dataquest.io[/url], MBA ’20

[img]https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/files/2021/05/Sam-Nelson.jpg[/img]
Sam Nelson (MBA ’17)
“The dual degree gave me the foundation to merge the learning and business needs at the ed-tech companies I’ve joined. Often times the business leaders, product managers and engineers who are building learning platforms lack the expertise needed to design products that are optimized for learning. And the learning professionals often lack the business and operational backgrounds to balance the ideal solution with the realities of business constraints. The dual degree has helped me bridge that gap and bring those two groups together to make the right decisions for both the business and the learner.”

Be sure to consult the [url=https://news.darden.virginia.edu/]Latest News[/url] regularly for the most updated news releases and media hits. Check out faculty thought leadership published on [url=https://ideas.darden.virginia.edu/]Ideas to Action[/url]. And stay connected with us via social media: [url=https://www.facebook.com/DardenMBA]Facebook[/url], [url=https://www.instagram.com/dardenmba/]Instagram[/url], [url=https://www.linkedin.com/edu/school?id=19605]LinkedIn[/url], [url=https://twitter.com/DardenMBA]Twitter[/url], [url=https://brand.darden.virginia.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/qrcode_for_gh_23920314812f_860.jpg]WeChat[/url]
The post [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/05/25/dual-degree-wu-nelson/]MBA/M.Ed Dual Degree Alumni Build on Program's Innovative Foundation[/url] first appeared on [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/]Discover Darden[/url].
VP
VP
Send PM
MBA/M.Ed Dual Degree Alumni Build on Program’s Innovative Foundation [#permalink]
FROM Darden EMBA Blog: MBA/M.Ed Dual Degree Alumni Build on Program’s Innovative Foundation
Today’s post wraps up the limited series featuring the decade anniversary of Darden and the School of Education and Human Development’s MBA/M.Ed Dual Degree program. [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/05/12/mba-m-ed-dual-degree-alumni-reflect-on-skills-learned-and-earned/]We previously featured[/url] MBA/M.Ed dual degree alumni Stephanie Spangler (MBA ’19), who now works in consulting, and Julieta Garcia-Vicente (MBA ’16), who is putting her degree to work as an assistant principal. [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/05/06/mba-med-dual-degree-program/]Check out the previous blog post[/url] introducing the dual degree program and how the unique partnership has evolved over the last ten years. Learn more about Darden’s [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/mba/admissions/dual-degrees]dual degree programs[/url], including the [url=https://education.virginia.edu/academics/mbamed-curriculum-instruction]MBA/M.Ed dual degree program[/url] offered with the UVA School of Education and Human Development.

[img]https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/files/2021/05/vita.jpeg[/img]
Vita Wu (MBA ’20)
[b]Vita Wu – [/b]Consultant, [url=https://www.ey.com/en_us/strategy]EY-Parthenon,[/url] MBA ’20

“Coming from teaching high school science, I knew that I wanted an MBA to break into business. But I also knew that the M.Ed degree would offer a historical and theoretical perspective for my continued work in education over the long-term. I didn’t want to take classes on how to lesson plan or behavior monitor a class, but rather to learn more of the theory and historical background for education, innovation, and educational leadership. I really wanted a deeper understanding of the evolution of education and attempts at innovation in the space. A highlight for me was forming our dual degree cohort and community. I will never forget the debates we had in one course on designing a national curriculum.”

[b]Sam Nelson[/b] [b]– [/b]Senior Director of Content, [url=https://www.dataquest.io/]Dataquest.io[/url], MBA ’20

[img]https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/files/2021/05/Sam-Nelson.jpg[/img]
Sam Nelson (MBA ’17)
“The dual degree gave me the foundation to merge the learning and business needs at the ed-tech companies I’ve joined. Often times the business leaders, product managers and engineers who are building learning platforms lack the expertise needed to design products that are optimized for learning. And the learning professionals often lack the business and operational backgrounds to balance the ideal solution with the realities of business constraints. The dual degree has helped me bridge that gap and bring those two groups together to make the right decisions for both the business and the learner.”

Be sure to consult the [url=https://news.darden.virginia.edu/]Latest News[/url] regularly for the most updated news releases and media hits. Check out faculty thought leadership published on [url=https://ideas.darden.virginia.edu/]Ideas to Action[/url]. And stay connected with us via social media: [url=https://www.facebook.com/DardenMBA]Facebook[/url], [url=https://www.instagram.com/dardenmba/]Instagram[/url], [url=https://www.linkedin.com/edu/school?id=19605]LinkedIn[/url], [url=https://twitter.com/DardenMBA]Twitter[/url], [url=https://brand.darden.virginia.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/qrcode_for_gh_23920314812f_860.jpg]WeChat[/url]
The post [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/05/25/dual-degree-wu-nelson/]MBA/M.Ed Dual Degree Alumni Build on Program's Innovative Foundation[/url] first appeared on [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/]Discover Darden[/url].
VP
VP
Send PM
Four Tips to Approaching Darden’s Application Process [#permalink]
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Four Tips to Approaching Darden’s Application Process
Our Full-Time MBA application for the Classes of 2024, enrolling August 2022, is now live. The Executive MBA program application will be available this week as well — keep an eye on the blog for updates!

We will feature a number of application-focused posts on the Discover Darden blog, “All About the Application…” throughout the current application cycle. Subscribe to the blog to stay up to date on the latest application insights!

Here are four tips for approaching Darden’s application process:

[b]1. What deadline makes most sense for you?[/b]
We encourage candidates to apply when you feel like you can put together a strong application. It’s typically better to focus on putting together your best application rather than rushing your materials to meet an earlier deadline, but it is also true that, with each passing deadline, fewer seats in our class will be available, and we will have less scholarship money to award. We realize there are many factors at play when it comes to submitting an application, and we offer multiple deadlines for just this reason!

[b]Full-time MBA: [/b]Early Action is the first deadline (9 September), and is unique in that there is a binding option (for candidates who know Darden is their top choice) and there are also limited open interview slots. In all other rounds, interviews are by invitation only. Check out the full list of application deadlines [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/mba/admissions/apply/deadlines]here[/url].

[b]Executive MBA formats: [/b]We offer monthly deadlines to give busy working professional applicants maximum flexibility. Check out the full list of application deadlines for the Executive MBA program [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/executive-mba-formats/admissions/application-process/deadlines]here[/url].

2. Do an application walk-through.
Take 10-15 minutes to simply read through the application. As you likely know by now, every school requires something a little different in the application process. Reading through our application before you get started will help you better plan and strategize your Darden approach.

While our application can likely be completed in a day or two of focused work, the best applications are the product of careful thought, intentionality and reflection. Giving yourself some time to get organized will put you on a path to your best application.

[b]Application pro-tip:[/b] New for this year, we have added an Application Instructions section to our application. Here you will find instructions, tips and insights for each section of the application.

3. What’s your story?
Believe it or not, the application process is a storytelling exercise. It is clear the applicant has done a great deal of self-reflection and has a clear understanding of why they are pursuing an MBA and where they hope to go post-MBA.

Rather than thinking about the different pieces of the application as disconnected parts, think about how they both complement and supplement this broader story. Each element of your application can contribute to this overall narrative of who you are and who you will be in the Darden classroom and community.

[b]4. Take a step back (and have fun!)[/b]
Consider how both personal and professional dimensions can help to highlight your candidacy.

Approach the process with joy and pride in your accomplishments!

Think about your application as our Admissions Committee will — holistically and objectively. What are the strengths of your application? What are those areas that you may want to strengthen?

Darden is known for being challenging, and our Admissions Committee wants to put you in a position to be successful as a student. As a result, we will look for indicators of your academic preparation — including undergraduate and graduate coursework, standardized test scores, professional certifications, additional non-degree-related coursework and even work responsibilities.

However, Darden also has a well-deserved reputation for its tight-knit community, collaborative spirit, and its high-engagement learning environment. With this in mind, we also want to get to know you through your application. Be sure to take full advantage of those parts of our application (short answer questions, resume, interview (by invitation), etc.) that allow you to highlight your passions and your personality.

[b]Did you know? [/b]After the interview, your interviewer will write up the conversation. This evaluation will become part of your overall application and one of the materials our Admissions Committee reviews when evaluating your candidacy.

Be sure to consult the [url=https://news.darden.virginia.edu/]Latest News[/url] regularly for the most updated news releases and media hits. Check out faculty thought leadership published on [url=https://ideas.darden.virginia.edu/]Ideas to Action[/url]. And stay connected with us via social media: [url=https://www.facebook.com/DardenMBA]Facebook[/url], [url=https://www.instagram.com/dardenmba/]Instagram[/url], [url=https://www.linkedin.com/edu/school?id=19605]LinkedIn[/url], [url=https://twitter.com/DardenMBA]Twitter[/url], [url=https://brand.darden.virginia.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/qrcode_for_gh_23920314812f_860.jpg]WeChat[/url].
The post [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/05/26/4-tips-application-process/]Four Tips to Approaching Darden's Application Process[/url] first appeared on [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/]Discover Darden[/url].
VP
VP
Send PM
Four Tips to Approaching Darden’s Application Process [#permalink]
FROM Darden EMBA Blog: Four Tips to Approaching Darden’s Application Process
Our Full-Time MBA application for the Classes of 2024, enrolling August 2022, is now live. The Executive MBA program application will be available this week as well — keep an eye on the blog for updates!

We will feature a number of application-focused posts on the Discover Darden blog, “All About the Application…” throughout the current application cycle. Subscribe to the blog to stay up to date on the latest application insights!

Here are four tips for approaching Darden’s application process:

[b]1. What deadline makes most sense for you?[/b]
We encourage candidates to apply when you feel like you can put together a strong application. It’s typically better to focus on putting together your best application rather than rushing your materials to meet an earlier deadline, but it is also true that, with each passing deadline, fewer seats in our class will be available, and we will have less scholarship money to award. We realize there are many factors at play when it comes to submitting an application, and we offer multiple deadlines for just this reason!

[b]Full-time MBA: [/b]Early Action is the first deadline (9 September), and is unique in that there is a binding option (for candidates who know Darden is their top choice) and there are also limited open interview slots. In all other rounds, interviews are by invitation only. Check out the full list of application deadlines [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/mba/admissions/apply/deadlines]here[/url].

[b]Executive MBA formats: [/b]We offer monthly deadlines to give busy working professional applicants maximum flexibility. Check out the full list of application deadlines for the Executive MBA program [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/executive-mba-formats/admissions/application-process/deadlines]here[/url].

2. Do an application walk-through.
Take 10-15 minutes to simply read through the application. As you likely know by now, every school requires something a little different in the application process. Reading through our application before you get started will help you better plan and strategize your Darden approach.

While our application can likely be completed in a day or two of focused work, the best applications are the product of careful thought, intentionality and reflection. Giving yourself some time to get organized will put you on a path to your best application.

[b]Application pro-tip:[/b] New for this year, we have added an Application Instructions section to our application. Here you will find instructions, tips and insights for each section of the application.

3. What’s your story?
Believe it or not, the application process is a storytelling exercise. It is clear the applicant has done a great deal of self-reflection and has a clear understanding of why they are pursuing an MBA and where they hope to go post-MBA.

Rather than thinking about the different pieces of the application as disconnected parts, think about how they both complement and supplement this broader story. Each element of your application can contribute to this overall narrative of who you are and who you will be in the Darden classroom and community.

[b]4. Take a step back (and have fun!)[/b]
Consider how both personal and professional dimensions can help to highlight your candidacy.

Approach the process with joy and pride in your accomplishments!

Think about your application as our Admissions Committee will — holistically and objectively. What are the strengths of your application? What are those areas that you may want to strengthen?

Darden is known for being challenging, and our Admissions Committee wants to put you in a position to be successful as a student. As a result, we will look for indicators of your academic preparation — including undergraduate and graduate coursework, standardized test scores, professional certifications, additional non-degree-related coursework and even work responsibilities.

However, Darden also has a well-deserved reputation for its tight-knit community, collaborative spirit, and its high-engagement learning environment. With this in mind, we also want to get to know you through your application. Be sure to take full advantage of those parts of our application (short answer questions, resume, interview (by invitation), etc.) that allow you to highlight your passions and your personality.

[b]Did you know? [/b]After the interview, your interviewer will write up the conversation. This evaluation will become part of your overall application and one of the materials our Admissions Committee reviews when evaluating your candidacy.

Be sure to consult the [url=https://news.darden.virginia.edu/]Latest News[/url] regularly for the most updated news releases and media hits. Check out faculty thought leadership published on [url=https://ideas.darden.virginia.edu/]Ideas to Action[/url]. And stay connected with us via social media: [url=https://www.facebook.com/DardenMBA]Facebook[/url], [url=https://www.instagram.com/dardenmba/]Instagram[/url], [url=https://www.linkedin.com/edu/school?id=19605]LinkedIn[/url], [url=https://twitter.com/DardenMBA]Twitter[/url], [url=https://brand.darden.virginia.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/qrcode_for_gh_23920314812f_860.jpg]WeChat[/url].
The post [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/05/26/4-tips-application-process/]Four Tips to Approaching Darden's Application Process[/url] first appeared on [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/]Discover Darden[/url].
VP
VP
Send PM
From Grandfather to Grandson, the Lessons of the Tulsa Race Massacre [#permalink]
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: From Grandfather to Grandson, the Lessons of the Tulsa Race Massacre
Gregory Fairchild, the Isidore Horween Research Associate Professor of Business Administration at the University of Virginia’s Darden School of Business, wrote this piece for The Conversation, reflecting on his grandfather’s experience 100 years ago in Tulsa and his own work on the economic and social effects of segregation.

Originally published on UVA Today. Professor Greg Fairchild will join Darden Admissions on Friday, 4 June in the next installment of “Office Hours”, presented by Darden Ideas to Action. We’ll discuss his recent book, Emerging Domestic Markets: How Financial Entrepreneurs Reach Underserved Communities in the United States, his Resilience Education work, which includes the Darden Prison Program, what Fairchild is currently working on, and what he’s most optimistic about for the coming academic year. Sign up for “Office Hours” with Professor Greg Fairchild, presented by Darden Ideas to Action.

By Greg Fairchild

When Viola Fletcher, 107, appeared before Congress earlier this month, she called for the nation to officially acknowledge the Tulsa race riot of 1921.

I know that place and year well. As is the case with Fletcher – who is one of the last living survivors of the massacre, which took place when she was 7 – the terror of the Tulsa race riot is something that has been with me for almost as long as I can remember. My grandfather, Robert Fairchild, told the story nearly a quarter-century ago to several newspapers.

Here’s how The Washington Post recounted his story in 1996:

At 92 years old, Robert Fairchild is losing his hearing, but he can still make out the distant shouts of angry white men firing guns late into the night 75 years ago. His eyes are not what they used to be, but he has no trouble seeing the dense, gray smoke swallowing his neighbors’ houses as he walked home from a graduation rehearsal, a frightened boy of 17.

His has since been a life of middle-class comfort, a good job working for the city, a warm family life. But he has never forgotten his mother’s anguish in 1921 as she fled toward the railroad tracks to escape the mobs and fires tearing through the vibrant Black neighborhood of Greenwood in north Tulsa.”

“There was just nothing left,” Fairchild told the newspaper.

The Washington Post article said the Tulsa race riots of 1921 were among the “worst race riots in the nation’s history.” It reported: “The death toll during the 12-hour rampage is still in dispute, but estimates have put it as high as 250. More than 1,000 businesses and homes were burned to the ground, scores of Black families were herded into cattle pens at the fairgrounds, and one of the largest and most prosperous Black communities in the United States was turned to ashes.”

The Washington Post article said the Tulsa race riots of 1921 were among the “worst race riots in the nation’s history.” It reported: “The death toll during the 12-hour rampage is still in dispute, but estimates have put it as high as 250. More than 1,000 businesses and homes were burned to the ground, scores of Black families were herded into cattle pens at the fairgrounds, and one of the largest and most prosperous Black communities in the United States was turned to ashes.”

Riots began after a white mob attempted to lynch a teenager falsely accused of assaulting a white woman. Black residents came to his defense, some armed. The groups traded shots, and mob violence followed. My family eventually returned to a decimated street. Miraculously their home on Latimer Avenue was spared.

Disturbing History
Hearing about these experiences at the family table was troubling enough. Reading a newspaper account of your ancestors’ fleeing for their lives is a surreal pain. There’s recognition of your family’s terror, and relief in knowing your family survived what “60 Minutes” once called “one of the worst race massacres in American history.”

In spite of my grandfather’s witness, this same event didn’t merit inclusion in any of my assigned history texts, either in high school or college. On the occasions I’ve mentioned this history to my colleagues, they’ve been astonished.

In 1996, at the 75th anniversary of the massacre, the city of Tulsa finally acknowledged what had happened. Community leaders from different backgrounds publicly recognized the devastation wrought by the riots. They gathered in a church that had been torched in the riot and since rebuilt. My grandfather told The New York Times then that he was “extremely pleased that Tulsa has taken this occasion seriously.”

“A mistake has been made,” he told the paper, “and this is a way to really look at it, then look toward the future and try to make sure it never happens again.”

That it took so long for the city to acknowledge what took place shows how selective society can be when it comes to which historical events it chooses to remember – and which ones to overlook. The history that society colludes to avoid publicly is necessarily remembered privately.

This June 1921 photo shows the painstaking reconstruction efforts residents faced. Even with the destruction, the area became known for its economic vitality. (Library of Congress photo)
Economically Vibrant
Even with massive destruction, the area of North Tulsa, known as Greenwood, became known for its economic vitality. On the blocks surrounding the corner of Archer Street and Greenwood Avenue in the 1930s, a thriving business district flourished with retail shops, entertainment venues and high-end services. One of these businesses was the Oklahoma Eagle, a Black-owned newspaper. As a teenager in the early 1940s, my father had his first job delivering the paper.

Without knowing the history, it would be a surprise to the casual observer that years earlier everything in this neighborhood had been razed to the ground. The Black Wall Street Memorial, a black marble monolith, sits outside the Greenwood Cultural Center. The memorial is dedicated to the entrepreneurs and pioneers who made Greenwood Avenue what it was both before and after it was destroyed in the 1921 riot.

Although I grew up on military bases across the world, I would visit Greenwood many times over the years. As I grew into my teenage years in the 1970s, I recognized that the former vibrant community was beginning to decline. Some of this was due to the destructive effects of urban renewal and displacement. As with many other Black communities across the country, parts of Greenwood were razed to make way for highways.

Some of the decline was due to the exit of financial institutions, including banks. This contributed to a decrease in opportunities to build wealth, including savings and investment products, loans for homes and businesses, and funding to help build health clinics and affordable housing.

And at least some was due to the diminished loyalty of residents to Black-owned businesses and institutions. During the civil rights movement, downtown Tulsa businesses began to allow Black people into their doors as customers. As a result, Black residents spent less money in their community.

Smoke billows over Tulsa, Oklahoma during the race riots in 1921. (Library of Congress photo)
Historical Lessons
At the end of my father’s military career in the 1970s, he became a community development banker in Virginia. His work involved bringing together institutions – investors, financial institutions, philanthropists, local governments – to develop innovative development solutions for areas like Greenwood. For me, there are lessons in the experiences of three generations – my grandfather’s, father’s and mine – that influence my scholarly work today.

On the one hand, I study how years after the end of legal segregation, Americans remain racially separate in our neighborhoods, schools and workplaces and at alarmingly high levels. My research has shown how segregation depresses economic and social outcomes. In short, segregation creates closed markets that stunt economic activity, especially in the Black community.

On the other hand, I focus on solutions. One avenue of work involves examining the business models of Community Development Financial Institutions, or CDFIs, and Minority Depository Institutions, or MDIs. These are financial institutions that are committed to economic development – banks, credit unions, loan funds, equity funds – that operate in low- and moderate-income neighborhoods. They offer what was sorely needed in North Tulsa, and many other neighborhoods across the nation – locally attuned financial institutions that understand the unique challenges families and businesses face in minority communities.

Righting Historical Wrongs
There are interventions we can take, locally and nationally, that recognize centuries of financial and social constraint. Initiatives like the 2020 decision by the Small Business Administration and U.S. Treasury to allocate $10 billion to lenders that focus funds on disadvantaged areas are a start. These types of programs are needed even when there aren’t full-scale economic and social crises are taking place, like the COVID-19 epidemic or protesters in the street. Years of institutional barriers and racial wealth gaps cannot be redressed unless there’s a recognition that capital matters.

The 1921 Tulsa race riot began on May 31, only weeks before the annual celebration of Juneteenth, which is observed on June 19. As communities across the country begin recognizing Juneteenth and leading corporations move to celebrate it, it’s important to remember the story behind Juneteenth – slaves weren’t informed that they were emancipated.

After the celebrations, there’s hard work ahead. From my grandfather’s memory of the riot’s devastation to my own work addressing low-income communities’ economic challenges, I have come to see that change requires harnessing economic, governmental and nonprofit solutions that recognize and speak openly about the significant residential, educational and workplace racial segregation that still exists in the United States today.

Be sure to consult the Latest News regularly for the most updated news releases and media hits. Check out faculty thought leadership published on Ideas to Action. And stay connected with us via social media: FacebookInstagramLinkedInTwitterWeChat.

Header image: Residents of the Greenwood neighborhood – Fairchild’s grandfather among them – returned to widespread destruction, as more than 1,000 businesses and homes were burned. (Library of Congress photo)
The post From Grandfather to Grandson, the Lessons of the Tulsa Race Massacre first appeared on Discover Darden.
VP
VP
Send PM
From Grandfather to Grandson, the Lessons of the Tulsa Race Massacre [#permalink]
FROM Darden EMBA Blog: From Grandfather to Grandson, the Lessons of the Tulsa Race Massacre
Gregory Fairchild, the Isidore Horween Research Associate Professor of Business Administration at the University of Virginia’s Darden School of Business, wrote this piece for The Conversation, reflecting on his grandfather’s experience 100 years ago in Tulsa and his own work on the economic and social effects of segregation.

Originally published on UVA Today. Professor Greg Fairchild will join Darden Admissions on Friday, 4 June in the next installment of “Office Hours”, presented by Darden Ideas to Action. We’ll discuss his recent book, Emerging Domestic Markets: How Financial Entrepreneurs Reach Underserved Communities in the United States, his Resilience Education work, which includes the Darden Prison Program, what Fairchild is currently working on, and what he’s most optimistic about for the coming academic year. Sign up for “Office Hours” with Professor Greg Fairchild, presented by Darden Ideas to Action.

By Greg Fairchild

When Viola Fletcher, 107, appeared before Congress earlier this month, she called for the nation to officially acknowledge the Tulsa race riot of 1921.

I know that place and year well. As is the case with Fletcher – who is one of the last living survivors of the massacre, which took place when she was 7 – the terror of the Tulsa race riot is something that has been with me for almost as long as I can remember. My grandfather, Robert Fairchild, told the story nearly a quarter-century ago to several newspapers.

Here’s how The Washington Post recounted his story in 1996:

At 92 years old, Robert Fairchild is losing his hearing, but he can still make out the distant shouts of angry white men firing guns late into the night 75 years ago. His eyes are not what they used to be, but he has no trouble seeing the dense, gray smoke swallowing his neighbors’ houses as he walked home from a graduation rehearsal, a frightened boy of 17.

His has since been a life of middle-class comfort, a good job working for the city, a warm family life. But he has never forgotten his mother’s anguish in 1921 as she fled toward the railroad tracks to escape the mobs and fires tearing through the vibrant Black neighborhood of Greenwood in north Tulsa.”

“There was just nothing left,” Fairchild told the newspaper.

Riots began after a white mob attempted to lynch a teenager falsely accused of assaulting a white woman. Black residents came to his defense, some armed. The groups traded shots, and mob violence followed. My family eventually returned to a decimated street. Miraculously their home on Latimer Avenue was spared.

Disturbing History
Hearing about these experiences at the family table was troubling enough. Reading a newspaper account of your ancestors’ fleeing for their lives is a surreal pain. There’s recognition of your family’s terror, and relief in knowing your family survived what “60 Minutes” once called “one of the worst race massacres in American history.”

In spite of my grandfather’s witness, this same event didn’t merit inclusion in any of my assigned history texts, either in high school or college. On the occasions I’ve mentioned this history to my colleagues, they’ve been astonished.

In 1996, at the 75th anniversary of the massacre, the city of Tulsa finally acknowledged what had happened. Community leaders from different backgrounds publicly recognized the devastation wrought by the riots. They gathered in a church that had been torched in the riot and since rebuilt. My grandfather told The New York Times then that he was “extremely pleased that Tulsa has taken this occasion seriously.”

“A mistake has been made,” he told the paper, “and this is a way to really look at it, then look toward the future and try to make sure it never happens again.”

That it took so long for the city to acknowledge what took place shows how selective society can be when it comes to which historical events it chooses to remember – and which ones to overlook. The history that society colludes to avoid publicly is necessarily remembered privately.

This June 1921 photo shows the painstaking reconstruction efforts residents faced. Even with the destruction, the area became known for its economic vitality. (Library of Congress photo)
Economically Vibrant
Even with massive destruction, the area of North Tulsa, known as Greenwood, became known for its economic vitality. On the blocks surrounding the corner of Archer Street and Greenwood Avenue in the 1930s, a thriving business district flourished with retail shops, entertainment venues and high-end services. One of these businesses was the Oklahoma Eagle, a Black-owned newspaper. As a teenager in the early 1940s, my father had his first job delivering the paper.

Without knowing the history, it would be a surprise to the casual observer that years earlier everything in this neighborhood had been razed to the ground. The Black Wall Street Memorial, a black marble monolith, sits outside the Greenwood Cultural Center. The memorial is dedicated to the entrepreneurs and pioneers who made Greenwood Avenue what it was both before and after it was destroyed in the 1921 riot.

Although I grew up on military bases across the world, I would visit Greenwood many times over the years. As I grew into my teenage years in the 1970s, I recognized that the former vibrant community was beginning to decline. Some of this was due to the destructive effects of urban renewal and displacement. As with many other Black communities across the country, parts of Greenwood were razed to make way for highways.

Some of the decline was due to the exit of financial institutions, including banks. This contributed to a decrease in opportunities to build wealth, including savings and investment products, loans for homes and businesses, and funding to help build health clinics and affordable housing.

And at least some was due to the diminished loyalty of residents to Black-owned businesses and institutions. During the civil rights movement, downtown Tulsa businesses began to allow Black people into their doors as customers. As a result, Black residents spent less money in their community.

Smoke billows over Tulsa, Oklahoma during the race riots in 1921. (Library of Congress photo)
Historical Lessons
At the end of my father’s military career in the 1970s, he became a community development banker in Virginia. His work involved bringing together institutions – investors, financial institutions, philanthropists, local governments – to develop innovative development solutions for areas like Greenwood. For me, there are lessons in the experiences of three generations – my grandfather’s, father’s and mine – that influence my scholarly work today.

On the one hand, I study how years after the end of legal segregation, Americans remain racially separate in our neighborhoods, schools and workplaces and at alarmingly high levels. My research has shown how segregation depresses economic and social outcomes. In short, segregation creates closed markets that stunt economic activity, especially in the Black community.

On the other hand, I focus on solutions. One avenue of work involves examining the business models of Community Development Financial Institutions, or CDFIs, and Minority Depository Institutions, or MDIs. These are financial institutions that are committed to economic development – banks, credit unions, loan funds, equity funds – that operate in low- and moderate-income neighborhoods. They offer what was sorely needed in North Tulsa, and many other neighborhoods across the nation – locally attuned financial institutions that understand the unique challenges families and businesses face in minority communities.

Righting Historical Wrongs
There are interventions we can take, locally and nationally, that recognize centuries of financial and social constraint. Initiatives like the 2020 decision by the Small Business Administration and U.S. Treasury to allocate $10 billion to lenders that focus funds on disadvantaged areas are a start. These types of programs are needed even when there aren’t full-scale economic and social crises are taking place, like the COVID-19 epidemic or protesters in the street. Years of institutional barriers and racial wealth gaps cannot be redressed unless there’s a recognition that capital matters.

The 1921 Tulsa race riot began on May 31, only weeks before the annual celebration of Juneteenth, which is observed on June 19. As communities across the country begin recognizing Juneteenth and leading corporations move to celebrate it, it’s important to remember the story behind Juneteenth – slaves weren’t informed that they were emancipated.

After the celebrations, there’s hard work ahead. From my grandfather’s memory of the riot’s devastation to my own work addressing low-income communities’ economic challenges, I have come to see that change requires harnessing economic, governmental and nonprofit solutions that recognize and speak openly about the significant residential, educational and workplace racial segregation that still exists in the United States today.

Be sure to consult the Latest News regularly for the most updated news releases and media hits. Check out faculty thought leadership published on Ideas to Action. And stay connected with us via social media: FacebookInstagramLinkedInTwitterWeChat.

Header image: Residents of the Greenwood neighborhood – Fairchild’s grandfather among them – returned to widespread destruction, as more than 1,000 businesses and homes were burned. (Library of Congress photo)
The post From Grandfather to Grandson, the Lessons of the Tulsa Race Massacre first appeared on Discover Darden.
VP
VP
Send PM
Darden Executive MBA Application Goes Live: Join the Class of 2024! [#permalink]
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Darden Executive MBA Application Goes Live: Join the Class of 2024!
[url=https://news.darden.virginia.edu/2021/05/28/executive-mba-class-of-2024/]As shared earlier today on the Darden Report[/url], the application for the Executive MBA Class of 2024 [url=https://apply.darden.virginia.edu/apply]is now live[/url]!

Interested in applying? We invite you to join Senior Director of Admissions Brett Twitty and Director of Admissions Katherine Alford [b]Wednesday, 9 June[/b] for an Application Launch webinar.

[b]Executive MBA Application Launch Webinar[/b]

Wednesday, 9 June | 12:00 p.m. EDT

[url=https://apply.darden.virginia.edu/register/?id=2d4fbd79-550f-43ac-81fa-c7c00d237367]Register[/url]

Fun fact: Attending this session will satisfy 50% of our Executive MBA application fee waiver offer.

Here are a few things to know about the Executive MBA application:

[b]Monthly Deadlines.[/b] We will continue to offer monthly application deadlines to give our busy Executive MBA applicants maximum flexibility. As you will note from [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/executive-mba-formats/admissions/application-process/deadlines]our Deadlines page[/url], each deadline functions as its own discrete round within the broader admissions cycle, and all deadlines are focused on one start date — August 2022. 

Our first deadline is 10 August, and we will continue to accept applications until the class fills. As a general rule, we have more flexibility and more scholarship money earlier in the cycle, and we encourage you to apply as soon as you feel you can put together a strong application.

[b]Reapplicants.[/b] We value candidates who remain interested in our program across multiple admissions cycles, and a number of our current students applied to Darden a couple times before gaining admission.

If you applied to Darden in the prior admissions cycle (2020-2021), we would be happy to copy your application to our new admissions cycle. To request this action, please submit [url=https://apply.darden.virginia.edu/register/reapplicant]the Reapplicant Request Form[/url].

Here are a few more tips for reapplicants:

[list]
[*]As we generally recommend for all Executive MBA applicants, think about your application as our Admissions Committee will – objectively and holistically. What are your strengths? And what are those areas you would like to strengthen?  [/*]
[*]As noted above, we have new short answer prompts for this year’s application. You will need to answer these new questions, and be sure to review all previously entered information to ensure it is still accurate. [/*]
[*]All re-applicants will need to submit one (1) new recommendation with their application materials to be eligible for review.[/*]
[*]Even if you previously interviewed with Darden, a new interview is required. In our Executive MBA application process, all interviews are post-submission and by invitation-only.[/*]
[/list]
[b]New Short Answer Questions. [/b][url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/05/20/join-the-mba-class-of-2024/]As with Darden’s full-time MBA application[/url], this year’s Executive MBA application features updated short answer questions inspired by the School’s core values, including diversity and inclusion, leadership, collaboration and team-based learning.

As we’ve shared previously, the application is a storytelling exercise, and we ask multiple short answer questions – rather than one long essay – to give applicants an opportunity to share more about themselves. There is no “right” answer to our short answer questions, and we encourage you to consider how your responses contribute to your overall narrative.

Did you know? For two of the short answer questions – Leadership and Impact as well as Diversity and Inclusion – applicants will respond to one of two prompts. Choose the prompt that best aligns with your experience and your story. 

[b]Standardized Tests. [/b]We will continue to offer Executive MBA applicants two options when it comes to standardized tests: Submit a test score or submit a test waiver request with your application.

Planning to take a test? We accept the Executive Assessment (EA), GMAT, GRE, MCAT and LSAT, and candidates can even apply with an older or expired test score.

We encourage you to choose the test that best aligns with your strengths and plans, but we also recommend learning more about [url=https://www.gmac.com/executive-assessment]the Executive Assessment[/url] (EA). The EA is the most popular test with our Executive MBA applicants, and, unlike other standardized tests, it was designed with Executive MBA applicants in mind. For the past three years, our average EA score has been around 153. We invite you to join Brett Twitty and GMAC’s Eric Chambers on [b]Thursday, 17 June at Noon EDT[/b] for [url=https://apply.darden.virginia.edu/register/?id=4ab0329c-8741-4e24-95a8-fa8d610a27b8]an Executive Assessment Overview webinar[/url].

Planning to submit a test waiver? You will find the test waiver request form in the Test Scores section of our application, and we encourage you to use the text box to highlight any aspects of your academic and/or professional background you feel are relevant to our Committee’s consideration.

Waiver requests will be evaluated along with the full application, and we will provide an update regarding your waiver request at the time of decision. Over the past couple years, we have found this approach allows our Admissions Committee to think about the waiver request holistically, with all of the information in the application at our disposal. However, when reviewing waiver requests, our Admissions Committee will be particularly focused on those aspects of your candidacy that indicate your readiness for a rigorous MBA curriculum, including coursework (degree-related and non-degree-related), advanced degree, professional certifications and work responsibilities.

Additional Reading: For more insights about these options, check out [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2020/08/11/executive-test-waivers/]our blog post all about standardized tests and test waiver requests[/url].

[b]Recommendation.[/b] In our Executive MBA application process, we will continue to require only one (1) recommendation. However, applicants are able to include up to two (2) recommendations with their application.

Our recommendation process is entirely electronic, and once you enter your recommender’s information, she will receive an email with a link to our recommendation materials. Be sure to check in with your recommender to make sure she received this email notification. You will also receive an email notification once your recommender submits her recommendation.

Wondering who might make a good recommender? Be sure to read [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2020/09/17/executive-mba-recommendations/]our Recommendations blog post[/url] for additional tips and insights.

[b]Application Fee Waiver. [/b]We are pleased to continue our popular Executive MBA application fee waiver offer (a $250 value).

To qualify for an Executive MBA application fee waiver, applicants need to complete the following two steps:

[list]
[*]Attend an [url=https://apply.darden.virginia.edu/portal/exec_conversation]Executive MBA Conversation [/url]OR a [url=https://apply.darden.virginia.edu/portal/coffeechats]Virtual Coffee Chat[/url] [b]AND[/b][/*]
[*]Attend an [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/emba/events]Executive MBA Webinar[/url] (or similar Executive MBA-related event)[/*]
[/list]
If you’ve started an Executive MBA application, once you’ve completed these steps, a fee waiver code will be added [b]automatically[/b] to your application. If you haven’t started an Executive MBA application, the fee waiver code will be applied as soon as you create an application.

We also offer a number of existing fee waiver codes to select applicant populations – including military veterans, Teach for America volunteers, Peace Corps volunteers, Forte Launch members and more. See [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/executive-mba-formats/admissions/application-process]our Application Process webpage[/url] for additional details!

[b]Ready to apply? [/b][url=https://apply.darden.virginia.edu/apply]Get started on your Executive MBA application today![/url]
The post [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/05/28/darden-executive-mba-application-goes-live-join-the-class-of-2024/]Darden Executive MBA Application Goes Live: Join the Class of 2024![/url] first appeared on [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/]Discover Darden[/url].
VP
VP
Send PM
Darden Executive MBA Application Goes Live: Join the Class of 2024! [#permalink]
FROM Darden EMBA Blog: Darden Executive MBA Application Goes Live: Join the Class of 2024!
[url=https://news.darden.virginia.edu/2021/05/28/executive-mba-class-of-2024/]As shared earlier today on the Darden Report[/url], the application for the Executive MBA Class of 2024 [url=https://apply.darden.virginia.edu/apply]is now live[/url]!

Interested in applying? We invite you to join Senior Director of Admissions Brett Twitty and Director of Admissions Katherine Alford [b]Wednesday, 9 June[/b] for an Application Launch webinar.

[b]Executive MBA Application Launch Webinar[/b]

Wednesday, 9 June | 12:00 p.m. EDT

[url=https://apply.darden.virginia.edu/register/?id=2d4fbd79-550f-43ac-81fa-c7c00d237367]Register[/url]

Fun fact: Attending this session will satisfy 50% of our Executive MBA application fee waiver offer.

Here are a few things to know about the Executive MBA application:

[b]Monthly Deadlines.[/b] We will continue to offer monthly application deadlines to give our busy Executive MBA applicants maximum flexibility. As you will note from [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/executive-mba-formats/admissions/application-process/deadlines]our Deadlines page[/url], each deadline functions as its own discrete round within the broader admissions cycle, and all deadlines are focused on one start date — August 2022. 

Our first deadline is 10 August, and we will continue to accept applications until the class fills. As a general rule, we have more flexibility and more scholarship money earlier in the cycle, and we encourage you to apply as soon as you feel you can put together a strong application.

[b]Reapplicants.[/b] We value candidates who remain interested in our program across multiple admissions cycles, and a number of our current students applied to Darden a couple times before gaining admission.

If you applied to Darden in the prior admissions cycle (2020-2021), we would be happy to copy your application to our new admissions cycle. To request this action, please submit [url=https://apply.darden.virginia.edu/register/reapplicant]the Reapplicant Request Form[/url].

Here are a few more tips for reapplicants:

[list]
[*]As we generally recommend for all Executive MBA applicants, think about your application as our Admissions Committee will – objectively and holistically. What are your strengths? And what are those areas you would like to strengthen?  [/*]
[*]As noted above, we have new short answer prompts for this year’s application. You will need to answer these new questions, and be sure to review all previously entered information to ensure it is still accurate. [/*]
[*]All re-applicants will need to submit one (1) new recommendation with their application materials to be eligible for review.[/*]
[*]Even if you previously interviewed with Darden, a new interview is required. In our Executive MBA application process, all interviews are post-submission and by invitation-only.[/*]
[/list]
[b]New Short Answer Questions. [/b][url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/05/20/join-the-mba-class-of-2024/]As with Darden’s full-time MBA application[/url], this year’s Executive MBA application features updated short answer questions inspired by the School’s core values, including diversity and inclusion, leadership, collaboration and team-based learning.

As we’ve shared previously, the application is a storytelling exercise, and we ask multiple short answer questions – rather than one long essay – to give applicants an opportunity to share more about themselves. There is no “right” answer to our short answer questions, and we encourage you to consider how your responses contribute to your overall narrative.

Did you know? For two of the short answer questions – Leadership and Impact as well as Diversity and Inclusion – applicants will respond to one of two prompts. Choose the prompt that best aligns with your experience and your story. 

[b]Standardized Tests. [/b]We will continue to offer Executive MBA applicants two options when it comes to standardized tests: Submit a test score or submit a test waiver request with your application.

Planning to take a test? We accept the Executive Assessment (EA), GMAT, GRE, MCAT and LSAT, and candidates can even apply with an older or expired test score.

We encourage you to choose the test that best aligns with your strengths and plans, but we also recommend learning more about [url=https://www.gmac.com/executive-assessment]the Executive Assessment[/url] (EA). The EA is the most popular test with our Executive MBA applicants, and, unlike other standardized tests, it was designed with Executive MBA applicants in mind. For the past three years, our average EA score has been around 153. We invite you to join Brett Twitty and GMAC’s Eric Chambers on [b]Thursday, 17 June at Noon EDT[/b] for [url=https://apply.darden.virginia.edu/register/?id=4ab0329c-8741-4e24-95a8-fa8d610a27b8]an Executive Assessment Overview webinar[/url].

Planning to submit a test waiver? You will find the test waiver request form in the Test Scores section of our application, and we encourage you to use the text box to highlight any aspects of your academic and/or professional background you feel are relevant to our Committee’s consideration.

Waiver requests will be evaluated along with the full application, and we will provide an update regarding your waiver request at the time of decision. Over the past couple years, we have found this approach allows our Admissions Committee to think about the waiver request holistically, with all of the information in the application at our disposal. However, when reviewing waiver requests, our Admissions Committee will be particularly focused on those aspects of your candidacy that indicate your readiness for a rigorous MBA curriculum, including coursework (degree-related and non-degree-related), advanced degree, professional certifications and work responsibilities.

Additional Reading: For more insights about these options, check out [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2020/08/11/executive-test-waivers/]our blog post all about standardized tests and test waiver requests[/url].

[b]Recommendation.[/b] In our Executive MBA application process, we will continue to require only one (1) recommendation. However, applicants are able to include up to two (2) recommendations with their application.

Our recommendation process is entirely electronic, and once you enter your recommender’s information, she will receive an email with a link to our recommendation materials. Be sure to check in with your recommender to make sure she received this email notification. You will also receive an email notification once your recommender submits her recommendation.

Wondering who might make a good recommender? Be sure to read [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2020/09/17/executive-mba-recommendations/]our Recommendations blog post[/url] for additional tips and insights.

[b]Application Fee Waiver. [/b]We are pleased to continue our popular Executive MBA application fee waiver offer (a $250 value).

To qualify for an Executive MBA application fee waiver, applicants need to complete the following two steps:

[list]
[*]Attend an [url=https://apply.darden.virginia.edu/portal/exec_conversation]Executive MBA Conversation [/url]OR a [url=https://apply.darden.virginia.edu/portal/coffeechats]Virtual Coffee Chat[/url] [b]AND[/b][/*]
[*]Attend an [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/emba/events]Executive MBA Webinar[/url] (or similar Executive MBA-related event)[/*]
[/list]
If you’ve started an Executive MBA application, once you’ve completed these steps, a fee waiver code will be added [b]automatically[/b] to your application. If you haven’t started an Executive MBA application, the fee waiver code will be applied as soon as you create an application.

We also offer a number of existing fee waiver codes to select applicant populations – including military veterans, Teach for America volunteers, Peace Corps volunteers, Forte Launch members and more. See [url=https://www.darden.virginia.edu/executive-mba-formats/admissions/application-process]our Application Process webpage[/url] for additional details!

[b]Ready to apply? [/b][url=https://apply.darden.virginia.edu/apply]Get started on your Executive MBA application today![/url]
The post [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/05/28/darden-executive-mba-application-goes-live-join-the-class-of-2024/]Darden Executive MBA Application Goes Live: Join the Class of 2024![/url] first appeared on [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/]Discover Darden[/url].
VP
VP
Send PM
Webinar Recap: Introducing Darden’s Full-Time MBA Application for the [#permalink]
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Webinar Recap: Introducing Darden’s Full-Time MBA Application for the Class of 2024
After launching the Full-time MBA application on 19 May (our earliest ever launch date!), Executive Director of Admissions Dawna Clarke was joined by Senior Director of Admissions Whitney Kestner for an informative webinar highlighting Darden’s admissions process, providing insights to updated components of the application and answering questions from attendees.

Application topics covered in the session included insights and advice on:

We also recently shared a blog post featuring “Four Tips to Approaching Darden’s Admissions Process”, which is a great resource to get to know more about how the admissions team views the process.

Check out our events page for a great lineup of upcoming events, including application insights, virtual admissions chats, student life and more.

The post Webinar Recap: Introducing Darden's Full-Time MBA Application for the Class of 2024 first appeared on Discover Darden.
VP
VP
Send PM
Webinar Recap: Introducing Darden’s Full-Time MBA Application for the [#permalink]
FROM Darden EMBA Blog: Webinar Recap: Introducing Darden’s Full-Time MBA Application for the Class of 2024
After launching the Full-time MBA application on 19 May (our earliest ever launch date!), Executive Director of Admissions Dawna Clarke was joined by Senior Director of Admissions Whitney Kestner for an informative webinar highlighting Darden’s admissions process, providing insights to updated components of the application and answering questions from attendees.

We also recently shared a blog post featuring “Four Tips to Approaching Darden’s Admissions Process”, which is a great resource to get to know more about how the admissions team views the process.

Check out our events page for a great lineup of upcoming events, including application insights, virtual admissions chats, student life and more.

The post Webinar Recap: Introducing Darden's Full-Time MBA Application for the Class of 2024 first appeared on Discover Darden.
VP
VP
Send PM
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Webinar Recap: Introducing Darden’s Full-Time MBA Application for the Class of 2024

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FROM Darden EMBA Blog: Webinar Recap: Introducing Darden’s Full-Time MBA Application for the Class of 2024

VP
VP
Send PM
‘A Group of Supportive People Invested in Your Success’: Kelsie Chaudo [#permalink]
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: ‘A Group of Supportive People Invested in Your Success’: Kelsie Chaudoin on Her ExecMBA Experience
Our Executive MBA profile series continues with a Q&A with first year student Kelsie Chaudoin (Class of 2022). Kelsie is based in Charlottesville, Virginia where she serves as one of the coaches for University of Virginia women’s rowing team. Like many of our Executive MBA program students, Kelsie came to Darden to learn about new industries and expand her potential opportunities.

Catch up on our earlier Executive MBA student profiles.

What is your current role? What is your professional/academic background?

I recently returned to my alma mater, UVA, as the Associate Head Coach of the Women’s Rowing Team. It is particularly special for me because I’m working with my college coach, Kevin Sauer, who had a huge impact on my life, and the lives of many other Virginia rowers. Before UVA, I spent five years coaching at Stanford and the prior seven years training full-time as an Olympic hopeful and coaching high school rowing to support the dream.

Redwood City, CA – April 11, 2018: Stanford Women’s Rowing Team during practice on Redwood Creek.
How did you decide to pursue an MBA?

I have been singularly focused on rowing for so long, that there are many other industries I know nothing about. Watching the young women I coach grow as athletes — and more importantly people — is inspiring but I want impact that change on a larger scale, likely on the business side of college sports. I am at a place where I am looking for my next challenge or pivoting to something completely different and Darden has been helpful in making that shift.

What led you to Darden?

Two things: the community and the diversity of the students’ experiences. From my first conversations with the Admissions team, as well as Darden alumni, the message was clear — the Darden Executive MBA program is a group of supportive people who are invested in your success, even before you begin classes.  The diversity of students’ experience was a big part of it for me, too! My classmates are physicians, sportswriters, Navy SEALs, and come from a wide range of business, experiences as well. This makes for dynamic classroom discussions!

What has been the impact of your Darden experience so far?

After years of competing in what some consider to be the ultimate team sport, my time at Darden has made me an even better teammate. The way our Learning Team functions as a unit to hold one another accountable, meet deadlines, prepare cases and lend a listening ear goes beyond anything I could have imagined. This is something I’ve found translates in a helpful way to my work as a coach.

What is your best piece of advice for prospective students?

Reach out to current students and alumni! I think I speak for all of my classmates when I say we will be more than happy to share our experiences, answer questions and ease concerns you might have about the demands of earning and MBA while working full time. It’s no doubt a challenging program with some “I don’t know how I’m going to survive” moments, but with the support of your classmates and professors you can accomplish far more than you imagined.

The post 'A Group of Supportive People Invested in Your Success': Kelsie Chaudoin on Her ExecMBA Experience first appeared on Discover Darden.
VP
VP
Send PM
‘A Group of Supportive People Invested in Your Success’: Kelsie Chaudo [#permalink]
FROM Darden EMBA Blog: ‘A Group of Supportive People Invested in Your Success’: Kelsie Chaudoin on Her ExecMBA Experience
Our Executive MBA profile series continues with a Q&A with first year student Kelsie Chaudoin (Class of 2022). Kelsie is based in Charlottesville, Virginia where she serves as one of the coaches for University of Virginia women’s rowing team. Like many of our Executive MBA program students, Kelsie came to Darden to learn about new industries and expand her potential opportunities.

Catch up on our earlier Executive MBA student profiles.

What is your current role? What is your professional/academic background?

I recently returned to my alma mater, UVA, as the Associate Head Coach of the Women’s Rowing Team. It is particularly special for me because I’m working with my college coach, Kevin Sauer, who had a huge impact on my life, and the lives of many other Virginia rowers. Before UVA, I spent five years coaching at Stanford and the prior seven years training full-time as an Olympic hopeful and coaching high school rowing to support the dream.

Redwood City, CA – April 11, 2018: Stanford Women’s Rowing Team during practice on Redwood Creek.
How did you decide to pursue an MBA?

I have been singularly focused on rowing for so long, that there are many other industries I know nothing about. Watching the young women I coach grow as athletes — and more importantly people — is inspiring but I want impact that change on a larger scale, likely on the business side of college sports. I am at a place where I am looking for my next challenge or pivoting to something completely different and Darden has been helpful in making that shift.

What led you to Darden?

Two things: the community and the diversity of the students’ experiences. From my first conversations with the Admissions team, as well as Darden alumni, the message was clear — the Darden Executive MBA program is a group of supportive people who are invested in your success, even before you begin classes.  The diversity of students’ experience was a big part of it for me, too! My classmates are physicians, sportswriters, Navy SEALs, and come from a wide range of business, experiences as well. This makes for dynamic classroom discussions!

What has been the impact of your Darden experience so far?

After years of competing in what some consider to be the ultimate team sport, my time at Darden has made me an even better teammate. The way our Learning Team functions as a unit to hold one another accountable, meet deadlines, prepare cases and lend a listening ear goes beyond anything I could have imagined. This is something I’ve found translates in a helpful way to my work as a coach.

What is your best piece of advice for prospective students?

Reach out to current students and alumni! I think I speak for all of my classmates when I say we will be more than happy to share our experiences, answer questions and ease concerns you might have about the demands of earning and MBA while working full time. It’s no doubt a challenging program with some “I don’t know how I’m going to survive” moments, but with the support of your classmates and professors you can accomplish far more than you imagined.

The post 'A Group of Supportive People Invested in Your Success': Kelsie Chaudoin on Her ExecMBA Experience first appeared on Discover Darden.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  10   11   12   13   14   15   16  ...  43   
Moderator:
Darden and UNC Moderator
102 posts