Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:32 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
‘An Unreal Network of Growth-Oriented People’: Collins Marshall On His [#permalink]
FROM Darden EMBA Blog: ‘An Unreal Network of Growth-Oriented People’: Collins Marshall On His ExecMBA Experience
Our Executive MBA profile series continues with a Q&A with First Year Executive MBA student Collins Marshall (Class of 2022). Collins is currently the Director of Partnership Development at EAB in the Washington, D.C. area, and he decided to pursue an MBA thanks to a nudge from his wife as well as a self-recognized need to differentiate himself as a he built a career in a new industry.

Catch up on our earlier profiles with Helen Yao (Class of 2022), Nate Scott (Class of 2022), Aisha Pridgen (Class of 2022), Jean Borno (EMBA ’17), Christy Sisko (Class of 2022) and Stephen Beaudoin (Class of 2022)

Q: What is your current role? What is your professional/academic background?

A: I’m currently the Director of Partnership Development at EAB, and my career has really had a couple distinct phases. After college, I spent ten years in finance, starting as an analyst, then moving to sales and sales management.  Since then, two years in Technology, starting as a go-to-market territory lead for P&G and then leading Business Development efforts for a technology startup out of Seattle called Jobscan. Now, I’m working closely with colleges and universities to implement EAB’s proprietary Research and Services.

Q: How did you decide to pursue an MBA?

A: In finance, I had gotten to a level where I felt I didn’t need an MBA. When I pivoted into technology, I had to take a step back.  I learned I lacked that little something to get the attention of major employers, as I felt employers looked at me as a “Finance Guy.” I knew I needed something to help me stand out from the crowd. My wife encouraged me to apply to the top-10 schools, of which I applied to five.

Q: What led you to Darden?

A: I was really impressed by how warm and personable the Darden staff was. Humility and community seemed the presiding values of the organization, two vital aspects of my life. The more I investigated the school and the outcomes surveys, I realized Darden is one of the best values (I used IRR based on the career trajectories of the alumni).

I reached out to several people of whom I think incredibly highly (all Senior Executives with MBAs) and each said Darden is one of the best schools for managers who aren’t just competent, but also very appealing.

Q: What has been the impact of your Darden experience so far?

A: Academically, I’ve been pushed. REALLY pushed. It’s been an incredible academic experience where I feel like I’m drinking from a fire hose. I’ve felt more naturally connected to the professors, who do an excellent job of education in action (case study is live learning, to me, which is the way I learn best). While I’m challenged, I also feel rewarded with rich material that pushes me to be better.

Functionally, I’ve actually used a lot of what I’ve learned in class at work. Unbelievably, in my last organization, I changed how we did revenue accounting to make it easier to understand our revenue stream from different angles, and this change was the direct result of my Darden experience.

Socially, I’ve lived in four states over the last eight years and I can honestly say I have never had this high of a bar of people whom I’ve met and become friends with. I came to Washington, D.C. knowing a handful of people, and now I feel like I can call on 150 friends when I need to. I’ve started a club (the Jefferson Spirits Society – a whiskey enthusiasts’ club), created social get-togethers (COVID-appropriate) and built an unreal network.  I’m blown away at the caliber of the people in the program, too. Everyone is impressive in very different ways.

Q: What is your best piece of advice for prospective students?

A: Take the plunge. If my wife didn’t encourage me to really look at the opportunity, I’m not sure I’d be here. Thinking about that depresses me. You get a great name behind resume, an unreal network of motivated and growth-oriented people and a sense of accomplishment that is hard to describe. Take the search seriously and consider how an MBA from a top-ranked school can help you achieve your goals.

Be sure to consult the Latest News regularly for the most updated news releases and media hits. Check out faculty thought leadership published on Ideas to Action. And stay connected with us via social media: FacebookInstagramLinkedInTwitterWeChat
The post 'An Unreal Network of Growth-Oriented People': Collins Marshall On His ExecMBA Experience first appeared on Discover Darden.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
VP
VP
Send PM
UVA Shares Hopeful Plans for ‘Much More Normal’ Fall 2021, Updates on [#permalink]
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: UVA Shares Hopeful Plans for ‘Much More Normal’ Fall 2021, Updates on In-Person Graduation
In an exciting update yesterday, the University of Virginia shared news that UVA is planning to return to in-person instruction and “much more normal operations” in fall 2021. View the full update on UVA Today.

University leaders said plans being developed for the fall include a return to in-classroom instruction as the default mode of instruction for faculty and undergraduate, graduate and professional students.

Darden was able to maintain a robust hybrid learning experience throughout the academic year due to extensive planning and investments in technology by the School, but followed UVA’s policy on group gathering limits. With increasing access to vaccines for faculty, students and staff, fall 2021 appears to be a return to a more normal environment.

University leaders also said they expect that limits on gathering and travel will be significantly relaxed; however, they noted that the school will continue to work with public health experts as the start of the fall semester draws closer. The University will provide greater detail about health and safety plans no later than July 15.

Despite an optimistic outlook for the coming academic year, University officials are prepared to revisit plans if needed. And now, at least, there is a precedent to follow.

“These plans are based on our expectation that vaccines will be widely available by the beginning of the fall term and the prevalence of the coronavirus will be much lower than it is today,” President Jim Ryan, Provost Liz Magill and Chief Operating Officer J.J. Davis wrote. “In the event that the trajectory of the pandemic worsens, it may be necessary for us to revisit some of these decisions. Additionally, there may be a continuing need for some level of public health precautions, but we are optimistic that they will be much less restrictive than the protocols we have employed over the course of the past year.”

Graduating students can also anticipate celebrating the conclusion of their studies with in-person Final Exercises. The Class of 2020 participated in an entirely virtual graduation, but now the UVA and Darden plan for in-person celebrations for both the Class of 2020 and the Class of 2021.

Follow the Darden Report for the latest Darden updates and news.

Be sure to consult the Latest News regularly for the most updated news releases and media hits. Check out faculty thought leadership published on Ideas to Action. And stay connected with us via social media: FacebookInstagramLinkedInTwitterWeChat
The post UVA Shares Hopeful Plans for 'Much More Normal' Fall 2021, Updates on In-Person Graduation first appeared on Discover Darden.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
VP
VP
Send PM
UVA Shares Hopeful Plans for ‘Much More Normal’ Fall 2021, Updates on [#permalink]
FROM Darden EMBA Blog: UVA Shares Hopeful Plans for ‘Much More Normal’ Fall 2021, Updates on In-Person Graduation
In an exciting update yesterday, the University of Virginia shared news that UVA is planning to return to in-person instruction and “much more normal operations” in fall 2021. View the full update on UVA Today.

University leaders said plans being developed for the fall include a return to in-classroom instruction as the default mode of instruction for faculty and undergraduate, graduate and professional students.

Darden was able to maintain a robust hybrid learning experience throughout the academic year due to extensive planning and investments in technology by the School, but followed UVA’s policy on group gathering limits. With increasing access to vaccines for faculty, students and staff, fall 2021 appears to be a return to a more normal environment.

University leaders also said they expect that limits on gathering and travel will be significantly relaxed; however, they noted that the school will continue to work with public health experts as the start of the fall semester draws closer. The University will provide greater detail about health and safety plans no later than July 15.

Despite an optimistic outlook for the coming academic year, University officials are prepared to revisit plans if needed. And now, at least, there is a precedent to follow.

“These plans are based on our expectation that vaccines will be widely available by the beginning of the fall term and the prevalence of the coronavirus will be much lower than it is today,” President Jim Ryan, Provost Liz Magill and Chief Operating Officer J.J. Davis wrote. “In the event that the trajectory of the pandemic worsens, it may be necessary for us to revisit some of these decisions. Additionally, there may be a continuing need for some level of public health precautions, but we are optimistic that they will be much less restrictive than the protocols we have employed over the course of the past year.”

Graduating students can also anticipate celebrating the conclusion of their studies with in-person Final Exercises. The Class of 2020 participated in an entirely virtual graduation, but now the UVA and Darden plan for in-person celebrations for both the Class of 2020 and the Class of 2021.

Follow the Darden Report for the latest Darden updates and news.

The post UVA Shares Hopeful Plans for 'Much More Normal' Fall 2021, Updates on In-Person Graduation first appeared on Discover Darden.
VP
VP
Send PM
Female Founders Launch KPI Club [#permalink]
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Female Founders Launch KPI Club
Darden’s entrepreneurial ecosystem seems is really hitting its stride. Among the numerous formal resources available to both full-time and Executive MBA students, there are also a number of student-led groups that lend peer support and function as a type of guild to help advance each other’s ventures. Just a few of the formal entrepreneurship resources available to students include: The Batten Institute (which plays a key role in harnessing Darden’s entrepreneurial spirit and developing resources for and with founders), Startup Academy, the Batten Scholarship Program, UVA’s E-Cup competition, the Darden Pitch Competition. The full-time MBA Entrepreneurship and Venture Capital Club, Executive MBA Entrepreneurship Club, Executive MBA Venture Capital Club, and the newly minted KPI Club are also just a handful of the student-led groups that serve as a hub for MBA founders.

Students Elizabeth Blankenship, Megan Nash (Class of 2022), Jing Xu (Class of 2022), Cecilia Rios Murrieta (Class of 2022) and Megan McGee (Class of 2022) were all named finalists in the Darden Pitch Competition, and the KPI Club was born shortly thereafter.

To Blankenship, the most remarkable thing was not that all finalists were women. The surprise to her was that they all became one another’s biggest cheerleaders. “We met that night, and we became fast friends,” recalled Blankenship. “We were direct competitors, but we were on each other’s team. We wanted to be successful collectively, rather than pitted against each other. That’s something that has never happened to me before.”

Professor Damon DeVito teaches the popular “Venture Velocity” course at Darden, has also been an instrumental coach for student founders.

The idea of having key performance indicators was planted by DeVito, who encourages student founders to identify a specific problem to overcome or goal to reach to move their ventures forward, then drill down to identify the steps to get there. “Before I focused on KPIs,” said Nash, “I’d feel like I was working hard, because I spent a lot of time on the venture. But I was just doing undirected research; I wasn’t moving any specific part of the business forward in a measurable way.”

Read the full story on the Darden Report to learn how the KPI Club has become a launchpad for these female founders – accelerating several of the students’ businesses to the final stages of UVA’s E-Cup competition, and becoming eligible for a $20,000 prize.

Blankenship, who won the Discovery stage of the UVA E-Cup, sees the KPI Club as instrumental to her venture’s progress. “The purpose of our meetings is accountability,” said Blankenship, “because having those strong competing priorities is difficult. You know you have to prepare your cases for class, but you also know that if don’t do the next step on your venture, nobody else will. The club kept me on track, but it also accelerated me more than I’d expected.

Darden Female Founders’ Startup Snapshot
Cobouchy produces coffee kombucha beverages, providing a much-needed boost of energy to get you through the day.

Founder: Jing Xu (Class of 2022)

Instagram: @cobouchy

Coton is a fully sustainable luxury fashion brand focused on utilizing existing textiles. It connects cause-conscious consumers with stylish, zero-waste clothing.

Founders: Elizabeth Blankenship (Class of 2022), Alyssa Blankenship

Instagram: @cotonclothiers

Hummingbyrd offers sports bras designed for limitless activity, giving women athletes better, more functional sports bras. Through its unique design, women can stash their phones and other essentials in a comfortable, accessible pocket so they can feel safer on runs and enjoy activity hands free.

Founder: Colby “Coco” Woeltz (Class of 2021)

Instagram: @runwithhumm

The Rayna Trimmer is an electric trimmer for hair down there, made for women, by women. Developed specifically for women’s pubic hair, the Rayna Trimmer has an ergonomic design for hard to reach areas and safe nick-free blades that won’t cause irritations or ingrowns.

Founders: Megan Nash (Class of 2022), Katie Burke, Max Berg

Instagram: @rayna.trimmer

Joie de Sans is an alcohol-free cocktail company that is inclusive, empowering and sophisticated.

Founder: Cecilia Rios Murrieta (Class of 2022)

Instagram: @joiedesans

Featured in header image: Darden student Jing Xu (Class of 2022) founded coffee kombucha beverage company Cobouchy and is one of several female founders thriving at Darden.

The post Female Founders Launch KPI Club first appeared on Discover Darden.
VP
VP
Send PM
Female Founders Launch KPI Club [#permalink]
FROM Darden EMBA Blog: Female Founders Launch KPI Club
Darden’s entrepreneurial ecosystem seems is really hitting its stride. Among the numerous formal resources available to both full-time and Executive MBA students, there are also a number of student-led groups that lend peer support and function as a type of guild to help advance each other’s ventures. Just a few of the formal entrepreneurship resources available to students include: The Batten Institute (which plays a key role in harnessing Darden’s entrepreneurial spirit and developing resources for and with founders), Startup Academy, the Batten Scholarship Program, UVA’s E-Cup competition, the Darden Pitch Competition. The full-time MBA Entrepreneurship and Venture Capital Club, Executive MBA Entrepreneurship Club, Executive MBA Venture Capital Club, and the newly minted KPI Club are also just a handful of the student-led groups that serve as a hub for MBA founders.

Students Elizabeth Blankenship, Megan Nash (Class of 2022), Jing Xu (Class of 2022), Cecilia Rios Murrieta (Class of 2022) and Megan McGee (Class of 2022) were all named finalists in the Darden Pitch Competition, and the KPI Club was born shortly thereafter.

To Blankenship, the most remarkable thing was not that all finalists were women. The surprise to her was that they all became one another’s biggest cheerleaders. “We met that night, and we became fast friends,” recalled Blankenship. “We were direct competitors, but we were on each other’s team. We wanted to be successful collectively, rather than pitted against each other. That’s something that has never happened to me before.”

Professor Damon DeVito teaches the popular “Venture Velocity” course at Darden, has also been an instrumental coach for student founders.

The idea of having key performance indicators was planted by DeVito, who encourages student founders to identify a specific problem to overcome or goal to reach to move their ventures forward, then drill down to identify the steps to get there. “Before I focused on KPIs,” said Nash, “I’d feel like I was working hard, because I spent a lot of time on the venture. But I was just doing undirected research; I wasn’t moving any specific part of the business forward in a measurable way.”

Read the full story on the Darden Report to learn how the KPI Club has become a launchpad for these female founders – accelerating several of the students’ businesses to the final stages of UVA’s E-Cup competition, and becoming eligible for a $20,000 prize.

Blankenship, who won the Discovery stage of the UVA E-Cup, sees the KPI Club as instrumental to her venture’s progress. “The purpose of our meetings is accountability,” said Blankenship, “because having those strong competing priorities is difficult. You know you have to prepare your cases for class, but you also know that if don’t do the next step on your venture, nobody else will. The club kept me on track, but it also accelerated me more than I’d expected.

Cobouchy produces coffee kombucha beverages, providing a much-needed boost of energy to get you through the day.

Coton is a fully sustainable luxury fashion brand focused on utilizing existing textiles. It connects cause-conscious consumers with stylish, zero-waste clothing.

Hummingbyrd offers sports bras designed for limitless activity, giving women athletes better, more functional sports bras. Through its unique design, women can stash their phones and other essentials in a comfortable, accessible pocket so they can feel safer on runs and enjoy activity hands free.

The Rayna Trimmer is an electric trimmer for hair down there, made for women, by women. Developed specifically for women’s pubic hair, the Rayna Trimmer has an ergonomic design for hard to reach areas and safe nick-free blades that won’t cause irritations or ingrowns.

Joie de Sans is an alcohol-free cocktail company that is inclusive, empowering and sophisticated.

Featured in header image: Darden student Jing Xu (Class of 2022) founded coffee kombucha beverage company Cobouchy and is one of several female founders thriving at Darden.

The post Female Founders Launch KPI Club first appeared on Discover Darden.
VP
VP
Send PM
Female Founders’ ‘KPI Club’ Builds Collective Venture Support [#permalink]
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Female Founders’ ‘KPI Club’ Builds Collective Venture Support
Darden’s entrepreneurial ecosystem seems to be really hitting its stride. Among the numerous formal resources available to both full-time and Executive MBA students, there are also a number of student-led groups that lend peer support and function as a type of guild to help advance each other’s ventures. Just a few of the formal entrepreneurship resources available to students include: The Batten Institute (which plays a key role in harnessing Darden’s entrepreneurial spirit and developing resources for and with founders), Startup Academy, the Batten Scholarship Program, UVA’s E-Cup competition, the Darden Pitch Competition and a host of MBA classes. The full-time MBA Entrepreneurship and Venture Capital Club, Executive MBA Entrepreneurship Club, Executive MBA Venture Capital Club, and the newly minted KPI Club are also just a handful of the student-led groups that serve as a hub for MBA founders.

Class of 2022 students Elizabeth Blankenship, Megan Nash, Jing Xu, Cecilia Rios Murrieta and Megan McGee were all named finalists in the Darden Pitch Competition, and the KPI Club was born shortly thereafter.

Read the full story on the Darden Report to learn how the KPI Club has become a launchpad for these female founders, accelerating several of the students’ businesses to the final stages of UVA’s E-Cup competition, and becoming eligible for a $20,000 prize.

The post Female Founders' 'KPI Club' Builds Collective Venture Support first appeared on Discover Darden.
VP
VP
Send PM
Female Founders’ ‘KPI Club’ Builds Collective Venture Support [#permalink]
FROM Darden EMBA Blog: Female Founders’ ‘KPI Club’ Builds Collective Venture Support
Darden’s entrepreneurial ecosystem seems to be really hitting its stride. Among the numerous formal resources available to both full-time and Executive MBA students, there are also a number of student-led groups that lend peer support and function as a type of guild to help advance each other’s ventures. Just a few of the formal entrepreneurship resources available to students include: The Batten Institute (which plays a key role in harnessing Darden’s entrepreneurial spirit and developing resources for and with founders), Startup Academy, the Batten Scholarship Program, UVA’s E-Cup competition, the Darden Pitch Competition and a host of MBA classes. The full-time MBA Entrepreneurship and Venture Capital Club, Executive MBA Entrepreneurship Club, Executive MBA Venture Capital Club, and the newly minted KPI Club are also just a handful of the student-led groups that serve as a hub for MBA founders.

Class of 2022 students Elizabeth Blankenship, Megan Nash, Jing Xu, Cecilia Rios Murrieta and Megan McGee were all named finalists in the Darden Pitch Competition, and the KPI Club was born shortly thereafter.

Read the full story on the Darden Report to learn how the KPI Club has become a launchpad for these female founders, accelerating several of the students’ businesses to the final stages of UVA’s E-Cup competition, and becoming eligible for a $20,000 prize.

The post Female Founders' 'KPI Club' Builds Collective Venture Support first appeared on Discover Darden.
VP
VP
Send PM
‘If You Work in My Office, You Know I Attend Darden’: Kris Green’s Ent [#permalink]
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: ‘If You Work in My Office, You Know I Attend Darden’: Kris Green’s Enthusiasm for the ExecMBA Experience
Our Executive MBA profile series continues with a Q&A with First Year Executive MBA student Kris Green (Class of 2022). Green works in real estate in the Washington, D.C. area, and he was drawn to Darden for its case method learning approach, the supportive community and the School’s commitment to its students. Green is one of the newly elected leaders of the Black Executive MBA (BEMBA) student organization, and will be serving as Communications and Outreach VP.

Catch up on our earlier profiles with Collins Marshall (Class of 2022), Helen Yao (Class of 2022), Nate Scott (Class of 2022), Aisha Pridgen (Class of 2022), Jean Borno (EMBA ’17), Christy Sisko (Class of 2022) and Stephen Beaudoin (Class of 2022)

A: I work for a real estate developer based in the Washington, D.C. area as Vice President – Multifamily Property Management. In my role, I direct a team of on-site
professionals that manages the day to day operations and financial performance of our portfolio of multifamily buildings.

I started my career in real estate property management while pursuing an undergraduate degree in accounting. After graduating with my undergraduate degree, I went to work for KPMG in external audit. After three years at KPMG, I decided to return to the real estate field to pursue my passion.

A: My current company went through a transformation immediately after I joined. I was brought on as a part of that transformation and was given the task to transition our portfolio of buildings from third party property management to a new in-house management arm.

After successfully launching the division, I began getting involved in the company’s real estate development, acquisition and asset management. As my interest and involvement in these areas grew, I recognized that there were management and financial decision skills that I could enhance to continue growing my career. Through conversations with coworkers and executives at my company, I was confident pursuing an MBA degree would allow me to develop additional skill sets to grow my career.

A: Interestingly enough, Darden was not on my radar when I decided I wanted to return to school. I ruled out most of the top-ranked schools as I knew I could not attend a full-time program, and I had the impression that Executive MBA programs catered to folks with 20 years of career experience. I initially invested my time into applying for part-time programs, but after researching and reading hours of online discussions on the Darden program, I decided to sign up for an Admissions event to learn more.

Darden checked all the boxes for what I was looking for in an MBA program. I knew during the first Admissions call that Darden would provide me the rigor I was looking for to accelerate my career. I appreciated the school’s approach to teaching using the case method, which would allow me to solve real business situations by analyzing case facts. As a working professional with a demanding job, I could also tell that I would be supported through the journey and that Darden was invested in the success of its students.

A: If you work in my office, you know I attend Darden. Not only am I known for wearing Darden gear around the office, but I often share case discussions from classes with my reports and executive management. The cases discussed throughout the program have been extremely relevant to many of the decisions we make as a growing firm.

Also, I am impressed with just how smart, talented, and hard working the cohort of students are. Darden has award-winning professors that are brilliant, but the body of students in the program is impressive and contributes significantly to the learning experience. In my short time at Darden, I have built relationships that I know I will maintain long after leaving the program. My classmates have been my biggest cheerleaders in my career success and have provided additional support when I need direction or advice on business decisions.

A: As a part of preparing your application, ensure that you spend some time developing your story.  Having a good grasp on what you have done, where you are today, and where you would like to be will help with the admission process. Also, I believe that mastering your story becomes even more beneficial once you have started the program. Knowing my story has allowed me to put in the extra time and effort into the rigorous program as I observe myself developing into the leader I aspired to be when I decided to pursue an MBA.

The post 'If You Work in My Office, You Know I Attend Darden': Kris Green's Enthusiasm for the ExecMBA Experience first appeared on Discover Darden.
VP
VP
Send PM
‘If You Work in My Office, You Know I Attend Darden’: Kris Green’s Ent [#permalink]
FROM Darden EMBA Blog: ‘If You Work in My Office, You Know I Attend Darden’: Kris Green’s Enthusiasm for the ExecMBA Experience
Our Executive MBA profile series continues with a Q&A with First Year Executive MBA student Kris Green (Class of 2022). Green works in real estate in the Washington, D.C. area, and he was drawn to Darden for its case method learning approach, the supportive community and the School’s commitment to its students. Green is one of the newly elected leaders of the Black Executive MBA (BEMBA) student organization, and will be serving as Communications and Outreach VP.

Catch up on our earlier profiles with Collins Marshall (Class of 2022), Helen Yao (Class of 2022), Nate Scott (Class of 2022), Aisha Pridgen (Class of 2022), Jean Borno (EMBA ’17), Christy Sisko (Class of 2022) and Stephen Beaudoin (Class of 2022)

A: I work for a real estate developer based in the Washington, D.C. area as Vice President – Multifamily Property Management. In my role, I direct a team of on-site
professionals that manages the day to day operations and financial performance of our portfolio of multifamily buildings.

I started my career in real estate property management while pursuing an undergraduate degree in accounting. After graduating with my undergraduate degree, I went to work for KPMG in external audit. After three years at KPMG, I decided to return to the real estate field to pursue my passion.

A: My current company went through a transformation immediately after I joined. I was brought on as a part of that transformation and was given the task to transition our portfolio of buildings from third party property management to a new in-house management arm.

After successfully launching the division, I began getting involved in the company’s real estate development, acquisition and asset management. As my interest and involvement in these areas grew, I recognized that there were management and financial decision skills that I could enhance to continue growing my career. Through conversations with coworkers and executives at my company, I was confident pursuing an MBA degree would allow me to develop additional skill sets to grow my career.

A: Interestingly enough, Darden was not on my radar when I decided I wanted to return to school. I ruled out most of the top-ranked schools as I knew I could not attend a full-time program, and I had the impression that Executive MBA programs catered to folks with 20 years of career experience. I initially invested my time into applying for part-time programs, but after researching and reading hours of online discussions on the Darden program, I decided to sign up for an Admissions event to learn more.

Darden checked all the boxes for what I was looking for in an MBA program. I knew during the first Admissions call that Darden would provide me the rigor I was looking for to accelerate my career. I appreciated the school’s approach to teaching using the case method, which would allow me to solve real business situations by analyzing case facts. As a working professional with a demanding job, I could also tell that I would be supported through the journey and that Darden was invested in the success of its students.

A: If you work in my office, you know I attend Darden. Not only am I known for wearing Darden gear around the office, but I often share case discussions from classes with my reports and executive management. The cases discussed throughout the program have been extremely relevant to many of the decisions we make as a growing firm.

Also, I am impressed with just how smart, talented, and hard working the cohort of students are. Darden has award-winning professors that are brilliant, but the body of students in the program is impressive and contributes significantly to the learning experience. In my short time at Darden, I have built relationships that I know I will maintain long after leaving the program. My classmates have been my biggest cheerleaders in my career success and have provided additional support when I need direction or advice on business decisions.

A: As a part of preparing your application, ensure that you spend some time developing your story.  Having a good grasp on what you have done, where you are today, and where you would like to be will help with the admission process. Also, I believe that mastering your story becomes even more beneficial once you have started the program. Knowing my story has allowed me to put in the extra time and effort into the rigorous program as I observe myself developing into the leader I aspired to be when I decided to pursue an MBA.

The post 'If You Work in My Office, You Know I Attend Darden': Kris Green's Enthusiasm for the ExecMBA Experience first appeared on Discover Darden.
VP
VP
Send PM
Future Year Friday: Morgan Klausner Shares Deferred Enrollment Journey [#permalink]
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Future Year Friday: Morgan Klausner Shares Deferred Enrollment Journey — From CSR to MBA
Darden’s Future Year Scholars Program invites outstanding college students to join the ranks of a Top 5 business school, before ever gaining work experience. Admitted scholars may choose to begin their MBA after gaining two, three or four years of work experience.

Today’s post featuring Future Year Scholar Morgan Klausner (Class of 2022) was originally published on Forté Foundation’s Business 360 blog. UVA Darden is a proud partner of Forté, whose mission is to “Launch women into fulfilling, significant careers through access to business education, professional development, and a community of successful women.”

For many undergrad students, following a passion in academics can lead to incredible curiosity and self-discovery. But what happens when a niche area of study doesn’t point to a career that’s necessarily a good fit? Klausner shares insights about how her interest in the intersectionality of business, sustainability and corporate social responsibility ultimately led her to pursue a deferred enrollment program – which allowed her to secure admission to an MBA program while still in college, gain several years of crucial work experience and then attend business school to pursue her MBA.

• Undergraduate School: University of Virginia
  • Undergraduate Graduating Year: 2017
  • Undergraduate Major: Environmental Thought and Practice
Q: Why did you decide to pursue a deferred MBA enrollment like Darden’s Future Year Scholars Program?

A: During undergrad, I studied a small interdisciplinary area of study, and I got to dive into topics that fascinated me; however, I didn’t want to pursue a career in environmental law or policy, which were two popular tracks after that program. During my third year, I took a class called Managing Sustainable Development. I found that I loved the intersection of business, sustainability, and corporate social responsibility.

It was too late to gain a formal business education at the undergrad level, so I started to look into Masters and MBA programs. Applying to the Future Year Scholars Program gave me the opportunity to secure a spot at an amazing business school, while still gaining some work experience during the deferral period.

Q: What were you most anxious about in your deferral period?

A: Going back to school after being in the working world for three years! It is such a different flow of life being in school versus working full-time.

Q: What were you most excited about in your deferral period? 

A: I was so excited to come back to Charlottesville, VA. Being a double Hoo (two degrees from UVA – go Wahoos!), Charlottesville holds a very special place in my heart and I’m so happy to be back!

Q: Did anything happen during your deferral period that reaffirmed your decision to stay on course to matriculate at Darden? (in other words, was there ever a time when you felt happy/comforted/excited that your seat at Darden was waiting for you?) 

A: While working, I developed a passion for the intersection of consumer goods and marketing. After applying to a few of those jobs, I realized I did not have the necessary skillset to make me a competitive candidate. Knowing that an MBA would help me pivot my career, I was excited to know that Darden was my next step through the Future Year Scholars Program.

On a recent panel discussion for admitted Future Year Scholars, Klausner shared the following:

“I know I’m really young, but [Future Year Scholars Program admission] was the best investment I’ve made in myself to date, and I just think having the opportunity to get admitted right after undergrad is something that, hopefully, people don’t take for granted. It is such a great thing to have in your back pocket to know what you’re working towards.”

The post Future Year Friday: Morgan Klausner Shares Deferred Enrollment Journey — From CSR to MBA first appeared on Discover Darden.
VP
VP
Send PM
Future Year Friday: Morgan Klausner Shares Deferred Enrollment Journey [#permalink]
FROM Darden EMBA Blog: Future Year Friday: Morgan Klausner Shares Deferred Enrollment Journey — From CSR to MBA
Darden’s Future Year Scholars Program invites outstanding college students to join the ranks of a Top 5 business school, before ever gaining work experience. Admitted scholars may choose to begin their MBA after gaining two, three or four years of work experience.

Today’s post featuring Future Year Scholar Morgan Klausner (Class of 2022) was originally published on Forté Foundation’s Business 360 blog. UVA Darden is a proud partner of Forté, whose mission is to “Launch women into fulfilling, significant careers through access to business education, professional development, and a community of successful women.”

For many undergrad students, following a passion in academics can lead to incredible curiosity and self-discovery. But what happens when a niche area of study doesn’t point to a career that’s necessarily a good fit? Klausner shares insights about how her interest in the intersectionality of business, sustainability and corporate social responsibility ultimately led her to pursue a deferred enrollment program – which allowed her to secure admission to an MBA program while still in college, gain several years of crucial work experience and then attend business school to pursue her MBA.

• Undergraduate School: University of Virginia
  • Undergraduate Graduating Year: 2017
  • Undergraduate Major: Environmental Thought and Practice
Q: Why did you decide to pursue a deferred MBA enrollment like Darden’s Future Year Scholars Program?

A: During undergrad, I studied a small interdisciplinary area of study, and I got to dive into topics that fascinated me; however, I didn’t want to pursue a career in environmental law or policy, which were two popular tracks after that program. During my third year, I took a class called Managing Sustainable Development. I found that I loved the intersection of business, sustainability, and corporate social responsibility.

It was too late to gain a formal business education at the undergrad level, so I started to look into Masters and MBA programs. Applying to the Future Year Scholars Program gave me the opportunity to secure a spot at an amazing business school, while still gaining some work experience during the deferral period.

Q: What were you most anxious about in your deferral period?

A: Going back to school after being in the working world for three years! It is such a different flow of life being in school versus working full-time.

Q: What were you most excited about in your deferral period? 

A: I was so excited to come back to Charlottesville, VA. Being a double Hoo (two degrees from UVA – go Wahoos!), Charlottesville holds a very special place in my heart and I’m so happy to be back!

Q: Did anything happen during your deferral period that reaffirmed your decision to stay on course to matriculate at Darden? (in other words, was there ever a time when you felt happy/comforted/excited that your seat at Darden was waiting for you?) 

A: While working, I developed a passion for the intersection of consumer goods and marketing. After applying to a few of those jobs, I realized I did not have the necessary skillset to make me a competitive candidate. Knowing that an MBA would help me pivot my career, I was excited to know that Darden was my next step through the Future Year Scholars Program.

On a recent panel discussion for admitted Future Year Scholars, Klausner shared the following:

“I know I’m really young, but [Future Year Scholars Program admission] was the best investment I’ve made in myself to date, and I just think having the opportunity to get admitted right after undergrad is something that, hopefully, people don’t take for granted. It is such a great thing to have in your back pocket to know what you’re working towards.”

The post Future Year Friday: Morgan Klausner Shares Deferred Enrollment Journey — From CSR to MBA first appeared on Discover Darden.
VP
VP
Send PM
Fine Wine Brand Management, Balancing Family and School, and Gaining C [#permalink]
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Fine Wine Brand Management, Balancing Family and School, and Gaining Confidence: EMBA Student Liz Mathews
Our Executive MBA profile series continues with a Q&A with first year student Liz Mathews (Class of 2022). Liz is based in the Richmond, Virginia area where she works for a fine wine importer. Like many of our Executive MBA students, her passion for learning and a desire to grow as a leader led her to pursue an MBA.

And, naturally, for our oenophile readers, we asked Liz for her best wine recommendation in light of the arrival of spring and (thankfully) warmer temps – “I’m on a big bubbly kick at the moment! Sparkling wine is perfect for warmer weather days because of its refreshing and cleansing nature. It’s the wine I reach for most often. I love its versatility – it works as an aperitif and pairs beautifully with such a wide array of foods. I don’t know of a dish or occasion that sparkling wine doesn’t complement! Champagne is my all-time favorite, but there are incredible and more affordable alternatives made in the ‘Méthode Champenoise’ way, which I adore, like Austrian Sekt, Italian Franciacorta, and French Crémant.”

Catch up on our earlier profiles with [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/04/08/if-you-work-in-my-office-you-know-i-attend-darden-kris-greens-enthusiasm-for-the-execmba-experience/]Kris Green[/url] (Class of 2022), [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/04/01/network-of-growth/]Collins Marshall[/url] (Class of 2022), [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/03/24/helen-yao/]Helen Yao[/url] (Class of 2022), [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/03/09/nate-scott-exec-mba-22/]Nate Scott[/url] (Class of 2022), [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/02/16/working-toward-something-better-execmba-student-aisha-pridgen/]Aisha Pridgen[/url] (Class of 2022), [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/02/11/jean-borno/]Jean Borno[/url] (EMBA ’17), [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/02/03/christy-sisko-exec-mba/]Christy Sisko[/url] (Class of 2022) and [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/01/21/grammy-awards/]Stephen Beaudoin[/url] (Class of 2022)

[b]Q: What is your current role? What is your professional/academic background?[/b]

[img]https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/files/2021/04/Santorini1-1024x1024.jpg[/img]
Elizabeth (Liz) Mathews, Class of 2022
A: I am the Senior Vice President of Portfolio Management at a preeminent national fine wine importer, leading a team responsible for brand management of over one hundred brands. Brand management is fascinating because it is the intersection of the business’s many critical functions – supplier relations, marketing, sales, supply chain, legal and finance.

I have the privilege of working closely with many multi-generational family-owned wine estates worldwide, helping them define and adapt their brand strategy to achieve long-term success. My entire 20-year career has been in the wine industry, and I am a passionate advocate for high-quality wines made sustainably. These are wines that reflect a ‘sense of place’ and are grown taking a holistic approach that gives back to the land.

[b]Q: How did you decide to pursue an MBA? [/b]

A: A thirst for knowledge of advanced business principles and inspirational leadership led me to pursue an MBA. The challenges facing the wine industry and the fine wine segment, in particular, are numerous. They include consolidation, regulatory hurdles, a failure to engage a younger demographic, a reliance on traditional channels, and a reluctance to embrace digital transformation. I sought inspiration, perspective and relationships from outside the wine world to position myself to lead innovation and future change in the industry.

[b]Q: What led you to Darden? [/b]

A: In researching executive MBA programs, Darden continued to rise to the top and capture my attention. Besides its reputation as a premier business school with top-ranking faculty and its case method approach, I was impressed by the level of genuine care and support of the Darden community at every step along the way. Everyone from the admissions team, the program team, career advisors, and of course, the students demonstrated a willingness to go above and beyond, which struck me. Darden is a real community, and you cannot help but feel its deep sense of commitment with every interaction.

[b]Q: [/b][b]What has been the impact of your Darden experience so far?[/b]

A: Darden has invigorated me; I am energized and excited about my potential and future! Besides learning how to navigate an income statement and create a financial forecast, I have gained confidence, broadened my perspective, and enhanced my communication skills.

Perhaps what has resonated the most with me is the significance of Darden’s mission to improve the world by inspiring responsible leaders, which is a deeply embedded element of the experience. I find myself thinking much more about the human aspect of leadership, the courage required to lead and the power and responsibility business leaders hold in making a positive difference in the lives of their employees, customers, suppliers and community.

[b]Q: What is your best piece of advice for prospective students?[/b]

A: If you find yourself continually drawn to this program, yet you are hesitant to apply, don’t wait – do it!  I was considering Darden for quite some time[img]https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/files/2021/04/Liz-M-802x1024.jpg[/img]
before applying. It was a big decision, and I was worried about balancing school demands with family (as a mother of two) and a demanding full-time job. I still remember exactly where I was when I shared this dilemma with a very close friend, and she said, “If it’s that important to you, you will make the time!”

Looking back, I am so grateful for that push that I desperately needed to pull the trigger and apply. The program is not easy; the workload is intense and demanding, but it is so rewarding, and the incredible support of the Darden community makes it possible. I have found hours in my day that I didn’t know I had by prioritizing what’s most important. In the evenings, I look forward to turning my attention to schoolwork and class after finishing my regular workday and spending some time with my family.

Be sure to consult the [url=https://news.darden.virginia.edu/]Latest News[/url] regularly for the most updated news releases and media hits. Check out faculty thought leadership published on [url=https://ideas.darden.virginia.edu/]Ideas to Action[/url]. And stay connected with us via social media: [url=https://www.facebook.com/DardenMBA]Facebook[/url], [url=https://www.instagram.com/dardenmba/]Instagram[/url], [url=https://www.linkedin.com/edu/school?id=19605]LinkedIn[/url], [url=https://twitter.com/DardenMBA]Twitter[/url], [url=https://brand.darden.virginia.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/qrcode_for_gh_23920314812f_860.jpg]WeChat[/url]
The post [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/04/15/liz-mathews-2022/]Fine Wine Brand Management, Balancing Family and School, and Gaining Confidence: EMBA Student Liz Mathews[/url] first appeared on [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/]Discover Darden[/url].
VP
VP
Send PM
Fine Wine Brand Management, Balancing Family and School, and Gaining C [#permalink]
FROM Darden EMBA Blog: Fine Wine Brand Management, Balancing Family and School, and Gaining Confidence: EMBA Student Liz Mathews
Our Executive MBA profile series continues with a Q&A with first year student Liz Mathews (Class of 2022). Liz is based in the Richmond, Virginia area where she works for a fine wine importer. Like many of our Executive MBA students, her passion for learning and a desire to grow as a leader led her to pursue an MBA.

And, naturally, for our oenophile readers, we asked Liz for her best wine recommendation in light of the arrival of spring and (thankfully) warmer temps – “I’m on a big bubbly kick at the moment! Sparkling wine is perfect for warmer weather days because of its refreshing and cleansing nature. It’s the wine I reach for most often. I love its versatility – it works as an aperitif and pairs beautifully with such a wide array of foods. I don’t know of a dish or occasion that sparkling wine doesn’t complement! Champagne is my all-time favorite, but there are incredible and more affordable alternatives made in the ‘Méthode Champenoise’ way, which I adore, like Austrian Sekt, Italian Franciacorta, and French Crémant.”

Catch up on our earlier profiles with [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/04/08/if-you-work-in-my-office-you-know-i-attend-darden-kris-greens-enthusiasm-for-the-execmba-experience/]Kris Green[/url] (Class of 2022), [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/04/01/network-of-growth/]Collins Marshall[/url] (Class of 2022), [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/03/24/helen-yao/]Helen Yao[/url] (Class of 2022), [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/03/09/nate-scott-exec-mba-22/]Nate Scott[/url] (Class of 2022), [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/02/16/working-toward-something-better-execmba-student-aisha-pridgen/]Aisha Pridgen[/url] (Class of 2022), [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/02/11/jean-borno/]Jean Borno[/url] (EMBA ’17), [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/02/03/christy-sisko-exec-mba/]Christy Sisko[/url] (Class of 2022) and [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/01/21/grammy-awards/]Stephen Beaudoin[/url] (Class of 2022)

[b]Q: What is your current role? What is your professional/academic background?[/b]

[img]https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/files/2021/04/Santorini1-1024x1024.jpg[/img]
Elizabeth (Liz) Mathews, Class of 2022
A: I am the Senior Vice President of Portfolio Management at a preeminent national fine wine importer, leading a team responsible for brand management of over one hundred brands. Brand management is fascinating because it is the intersection of the business’s many critical functions – supplier relations, marketing, sales, supply chain, legal and finance.

I have the privilege of working closely with many multi-generational family-owned wine estates worldwide, helping them define and adapt their brand strategy to achieve long-term success. My entire 20-year career has been in the wine industry, and I am a passionate advocate for high-quality wines made sustainably. These are wines that reflect a ‘sense of place’ and are grown taking a holistic approach that gives back to the land.

[b]Q: How did you decide to pursue an MBA? [/b]

A: A thirst for knowledge of advanced business principles and inspirational leadership led me to pursue an MBA. The challenges facing the wine industry and the fine wine segment, in particular, are numerous. They include consolidation, regulatory hurdles, a failure to engage a younger demographic, a reliance on traditional channels, and a reluctance to embrace digital transformation. I sought inspiration, perspective and relationships from outside the wine world to position myself to lead innovation and future change in the industry.

[b]Q: What led you to Darden? [/b]

A: In researching executive MBA programs, Darden continued to rise to the top and capture my attention. Besides its reputation as a premier business school with top-ranking faculty and its case method approach, I was impressed by the level of genuine care and support of the Darden community at every step along the way. Everyone from the admissions team, the program team, career advisors, and of course, the students demonstrated a willingness to go above and beyond, which struck me. Darden is a real community, and you cannot help but feel its deep sense of commitment with every interaction.

[b]Q: [/b][b]What has been the impact of your Darden experience so far?[/b]

A: Darden has invigorated me; I am energized and excited about my potential and future! Besides learning how to navigate an income statement and create a financial forecast, I have gained confidence, broadened my perspective, and enhanced my communication skills.

Perhaps what has resonated the most with me is the significance of Darden’s mission to improve the world by inspiring responsible leaders, which is a deeply embedded element of the experience. I find myself thinking much more about the human aspect of leadership, the courage required to lead and the power and responsibility business leaders hold in making a positive difference in the lives of their employees, customers, suppliers and community.

[b]Q: What is your best piece of advice for prospective students?[/b]

A: If you find yourself continually drawn to this program, yet you are hesitant to apply, don’t wait – do it!  I was considering Darden for quite some time[img]https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/files/2021/04/Liz-M-802x1024.jpg[/img]
before applying. It was a big decision, and I was worried about balancing school demands with family (as a mother of two) and a demanding full-time job. I still remember exactly where I was when I shared this dilemma with a very close friend, and she said, “If it’s that important to you, you will make the time!”

Looking back, I am so grateful for that push that I desperately needed to pull the trigger and apply. The program is not easy; the workload is intense and demanding, but it is so rewarding, and the incredible support of the Darden community makes it possible. I have found hours in my day that I didn’t know I had by prioritizing what’s most important. In the evenings, I look forward to turning my attention to schoolwork and class after finishing my regular workday and spending some time with my family.

Be sure to consult the [url=https://news.darden.virginia.edu/]Latest News[/url] regularly for the most updated news releases and media hits. Check out faculty thought leadership published on [url=https://ideas.darden.virginia.edu/]Ideas to Action[/url]. And stay connected with us via social media: [url=https://www.facebook.com/DardenMBA]Facebook[/url], [url=https://www.instagram.com/dardenmba/]Instagram[/url], [url=https://www.linkedin.com/edu/school?id=19605]LinkedIn[/url], [url=https://twitter.com/DardenMBA]Twitter[/url], [url=https://brand.darden.virginia.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/qrcode_for_gh_23920314812f_860.jpg]WeChat[/url]
The post [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/2021/04/15/liz-mathews-2022/]Fine Wine Brand Management, Balancing Family and School, and Gaining Confidence: EMBA Student Liz Mathews[/url] first appeared on [url=https://blogs.darden.virginia.edu/admissions/]Discover Darden[/url].
VP
VP
Send PM
Former Olympian Takes on Executive MBA [#permalink]
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Former Olympian Takes on Executive MBA
It is often said that a rising tide raises all ships. At least, that’s how EMBA student and former sailing Olympian Sarah Lihan (Class of 2022) views the appropriately nautical and punny summary of her Darden Executive MBA program experience so far and the support she has received from her Darden teammates.

After representing the United States at the 2012 Olympic Games in London, then spending several years working for Lyft, Lihan found herself in an operations strategy role with Spin Scooters, a smart mobility company where she focuses on deploying scooter charging infrastructure to try and solve the scooter parking problem “which anyone who lives in a city with scooters knows is a huge pain in the butt,” quips Lihan.

Big picture thinking is exactly the way Lihan prefers to set her goals. “It doesn’t occur to me that I couldn’t change the world or that I couldn’t change the things that I have set out to change. The phrase ‘mission-driven’ gets thrown around in companies, and Lyft and Spin both live that value and practice what they preach. These tech companies that I’ve worked with have really bring values to the forefront in the way that we think, in the way that we dream, in the ways that we set goals, and most importantly in the way that we work as a team.”

Lihan grew up in south Florida, where sailing (a family sport) has been a part of her every day life since her earliest memories. “I thought I just wanted to win when I was younger, I realized that it’s really the community that speaks to me. Yes, I worked incredibly hard, but it didn’t feel like work. It was truly the most fulfilling and just rad thing I’ve ever done and has really shaped who I am today.”

In the recent ExecMBA podcast episode, Lihan noted that there were parallels between being an Executive MBA student and being a professional athlete and Olympian — but there are also some lessons to unlearn, especially when it comes to perfection. “Perfection isn’t realistic outside of that (professional sports) environment. Sometimes you really just need to get the job done.” Podcast host and Senior Director of Admissions Brett Twitty and Lihan discussed the idea that “perfect is the enemy of good”, and how there are important takeaways for working professionals pursuing a MBA. Lihan shared, “I feel like I learn this lesson day after day. When you look at your class and you look at your work schedule, and you think ‘How will this all happen?’ But you get there, and you make it happen. And maybe you’re not the one leading it that day, maybe you’re leaning on your learning team – and that’s an important lesson from both sailing and from Darden.”

“Maybe you’re striving for perfect and to do the work yourself, but it’s really important to learn when to lean on your classmates or teammates to get you successfully through the things that you might not have time for or can’t prioritize that day.”

Lihan shared that the challenges of transitioning between full-time sport and full-time business have been “great and many and large”, and just when she thought the door had closed to pursue her MBA, she learned about the Executive MBA program opportunities for working professionals.

“I don’t know that there’s ever been a period of my life where I’ve learned more. Every single hour that goes by (sometimes it’s against my will – I may not be ready to take in information just yet), there’s just this incredible growth. (The program) is going be uncomfortable. It’s going be difficult. But when you get those moments to zoom out and realize that you’re totally different than you were six months ago, how incredible is that?”

On why the Darden program specifically stood out to Lihan after she explored other programs, “One of my personal chief values is about people. I want to work with and be around the kind of people that I respect and want to work with, as opposed to compete against. I spent many years of my life winning and trying to win (and losing, a lot of times!) and I knew that when I took this next step into my business education, I really wanted to be part of a community. The thing that stuck out to me about Darden, and still, to this day, every minute, is how much the people that are involved in the class and in the School care about each other and care about learning from each other and becoming better as a group.”

The post Former Olympian Takes on Executive MBA first appeared on Discover Darden.
VP
VP
Send PM
Former Olympian Takes on Executive MBA [#permalink]
FROM Darden EMBA Blog: Former Olympian Takes on Executive MBA
It is often said that a rising tide raises all ships. At least, that’s how EMBA student and former sailing Olympian Sarah Lihan (Class of 2022) views the appropriately nautical and punny summary of her Darden Executive MBA program experience so far and the support she has received from her Darden teammates.

After representing the United States at the 2012 Olympic Games in London, then spending several years working for Lyft, Lihan found herself in an operations strategy role with Spin Scooters, a smart mobility company where she focuses on deploying scooter charging infrastructure to try and solve the scooter parking problem “which anyone who lives in a city with scooters knows is a huge pain in the butt,” quips Lihan.

Big picture thinking is exactly the way Lihan prefers to set her goals. “It doesn’t occur to me that I couldn’t change the world or that I couldn’t change the things that I have set out to change. The phrase ‘mission-driven’ gets thrown around in companies, and Lyft and Spin both live that value and practice what they preach. These tech companies that I’ve worked with have really bring values to the forefront in the way that we think, in the way that we dream, in the ways that we set goals, and most importantly in the way that we work as a team.”

Lihan grew up in south Florida, where sailing (a family sport) has been a part of her every day life since her earliest memories. “I thought I just wanted to win when I was younger, I realized that it’s really the community that speaks to me. Yes, I worked incredibly hard, but it didn’t feel like work. It was truly the most fulfilling and just rad thing I’ve ever done and has really shaped who I am today.”

In the recent ExecMBA podcast episode, Lihan noted that there were parallels between being an Executive MBA student and being a professional athlete and Olympian — but there are also some lessons to unlearn, especially when it comes to perfection. “Perfection isn’t realistic outside of that (professional sports) environment. Sometimes you really just need to get the job done.” Podcast host and Senior Director of Admissions Brett Twitty and Lihan discussed the idea that “perfect is the enemy of good”, and how there are important takeaways for working professionals pursuing a MBA. Lihan shared, “I feel like I learn this lesson day after day. When you look at your class and you look at your work schedule, and you think ‘How will this all happen?’ But you get there, and you make it happen. And maybe you’re not the one leading it that day, maybe you’re leaning on your learning team – and that’s an important lesson from both sailing and from Darden.”

“Maybe you’re striving for perfect and to do the work yourself, but it’s really important to learn when to lean on your classmates or teammates to get you successfully through the things that you might not have time for or can’t prioritize that day.”

Lihan shared that the challenges of transitioning between full-time sport and full-time business have been “great and many and large”, and just when she thought the door had closed to pursue her MBA, she learned about the Executive MBA program opportunities for working professionals.

“I don’t know that there’s ever been a period of my life where I’ve learned more. Every single hour that goes by (sometimes it’s against my will – I may not be ready to take in information just yet), there’s just this incredible growth. (The program) is going be uncomfortable. It’s going be difficult. But when you get those moments to zoom out and realize that you’re totally different than you were six months ago, how incredible is that?”

On why the Darden program specifically stood out to Lihan after she explored other programs, “One of my personal chief values is about people. I want to work with and be around the kind of people that I respect and want to work with, as opposed to compete against. I spent many years of my life winning and trying to win (and losing, a lot of times!) and I knew that when I took this next step into my business education, I really wanted to be part of a community. The thing that stuck out to me about Darden, and still, to this day, every minute, is how much the people that are involved in the class and in the School care about each other and care about learning from each other and becoming better as a group.”

The post Former Olympian Takes on Executive MBA first appeared on Discover Darden.
VP
VP
Send PM
Alumna Heads Sustainability Efforts, Works to Achieve Net-Zero Carbon [#permalink]
FROM Darden Admissions Blog: Alumna Heads Sustainability Efforts, Works to Achieve Net-Zero Carbon Emissions
For this year’s Earth Day, MBA-focused publication Poets & Quants featured B-School sustainability graduates, including Katherine Neebe (MBA ’04) VP National Engagement and Strategy and Chief Sustainability Officer at Duke Energy. She also serves as president of the Duke Energy Foundation. In these capacities, she leads Duke Energy’s stakeholder engagement efforts to develop solutions to meet customer needs for continued reliable and affordable energy – while simultaneously working to achieve the company’s goal of net-zero carbon emissions by 2050. Neebe was also recently named to the National Diversity Council’s Power 50. The National Diversity Council is a forerunner of community based, national organizations that champion diversity and inclusion across the country.

Katherine Neebe
Over the past 20 years, Neebe has worked with a wide range of corporate, government and nonprofit organizations. Weaving together her intensive business experience and commitment to social and environmental responsibility, she brings in-depth insight to effective stakeholder engagement and an ability to ground sustainability into actionable terms.

In the full profile published on Poets & Quants, Neebe shared more about how she views the role of business in society.

What does World Earth Day mean to you?

World Earth Day provides me with an opportunity to pause and reflect on the work to date and the challenges that lie ahead. This year is an incredible year where we should see the global community – government, civil society, business and other institutions – come together to discuss our ambitions with respect to climate change as well as what is necessary to deliver progress. This week, we have the Leaders Summit on Climate and, over the balance of the year, convenings such as Climate Week and COP26 in Glasgow. Hopefully, these should prove to be powerful events that will serve as important touchstones in the years to come.

How has your business school experience helped your career in this area?

I attended business school roughly 20 years ago at a time when the field of corporate sustainability was in its nascency and I was a relatively young practitioner. To be an effective influencer and changemaker, I knew that I needed to learn the language, structure and rhythm of “traditional” businesses. Business school taught me not only the fundamentals of business but also important soft skills such as organizational behavior. Being able to see an issue from multiple perspectives and navigate across different systems has been invaluable.

What are your hopes for the future of the planet?

The three big issues on my mind are climate change, ecosystem health (or natural capital) and human rights – particularly issues of diversity, equity and inclusion as well as inequality. We need to solve for all of them, together. My hope is that we deepen our understanding of the interconnectedness of these issues, build on the important progress that has already been made and help create a world that provides for all – people and planet.

The post Alumna Heads Sustainability Efforts, Works to Achieve Net-Zero Carbon Emissions first appeared on Discover Darden.
VP
VP
Send PM
Alumna Heads Sustainability Efforts, Works to Achieve Net-Zero Carbon [#permalink]
FROM Darden EMBA Blog: Alumna Heads Sustainability Efforts, Works to Achieve Net-Zero Carbon Emissions
For this year’s Earth Day, MBA-focused publication Poets & Quants featured B-School sustainability graduates, including Katherine Neebe (MBA ’04) VP National Engagement and Strategy and Chief Sustainability Officer at Duke Energy. She also serves as president of the Duke Energy Foundation. In these capacities, she leads Duke Energy’s stakeholder engagement efforts to develop solutions to meet customer needs for continued reliable and affordable energy – while simultaneously working to achieve the company’s goal of net-zero carbon emissions by 2050. Neebe was also recently named to the National Diversity Council’s Power 50. The National Diversity Council is a forerunner of community based, national organizations that champion diversity and inclusion across the country.

Katherine Neebe
Over the past 20 years, Neebe has worked with a wide range of corporate, government and nonprofit organizations. Weaving together her intensive business experience and commitment to social and environmental responsibility, she brings in-depth insight to effective stakeholder engagement and an ability to ground sustainability into actionable terms.

In the full profile published on Poets & Quants, Neebe shared more about how she views the role of business in society.

What does World Earth Day mean to you?

World Earth Day provides me with an opportunity to pause and reflect on the work to date and the challenges that lie ahead. This year is an incredible year where we should see the global community – government, civil society, business and other institutions – come together to discuss our ambitions with respect to climate change as well as what is necessary to deliver progress. This week, we have the Leaders Summit on Climate and, over the balance of the year, convenings such as Climate Week and COP26 in Glasgow. Hopefully, these should prove to be powerful events that will serve as important touchstones in the years to come.

How has your business school experience helped your career in this area?

I attended business school roughly 20 years ago at a time when the field of corporate sustainability was in its nascency and I was a relatively young practitioner. To be an effective influencer and changemaker, I knew that I needed to learn the language, structure and rhythm of “traditional” businesses. Business school taught me not only the fundamentals of business but also important soft skills such as organizational behavior. Being able to see an issue from multiple perspectives and navigate across different systems has been invaluable.

What are your hopes for the future of the planet?

The three big issues on my mind are climate change, ecosystem health (or natural capital) and human rights – particularly issues of diversity, equity and inclusion as well as inequality. We need to solve for all of them, together. My hope is that we deepen our understanding of the interconnectedness of these issues, build on the important progress that has already been made and help create a world that provides for all – people and planet.

The post Alumna Heads Sustainability Efforts, Works to Achieve Net-Zero Carbon Emissions first appeared on Discover Darden.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  43   
Moderator:
Darden and UNC Moderator
102 posts