GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Nov 2018, 10:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Expert advice for Emory Goizueta from Admissions Consultant blogs

new topic post reply Update application status  
Director
Director
Expert advice for Emory Goizueta from Admissions Consultant blogs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2018, 17:28
The Goizueta Business School at Emory University has posted the following required essays for the 2018-19 MBA admissions season.
Essay One
Define your short-term post-MBA career goals. How are your professional strengths, past experience and personal attributes aligned with these goals? (300 word limit)
Essay Two
The business school is named for Roberto C. Goizueta, former Chairman and CEO of The Coca-Cola Company, who led the organization for 16 years, extending its global reach, quadrupling consumption, building brand responsibility, and creating unprecedented shareholder wealth. Mr. Goizueta’s core values guide us in educating Principled Leaders for Global Enterprise.

Provide an example of your leadership – professional or personal – and explain what you learned about yourself through the experience. (300 word limit)
Essay Three
Complete one of the following statements. (250 word limit)
  • I am passionate about…
  • The best piece of advice I’ve received is…
  • The best day of my life was…
  • A personal goal I want to accomplish is…
Essay Four
Share with the committee and your future classmates a fun or noteworthy fact about you. (25 word limit)
Optional Essay
If you have additional information or feel there are extenuating circumstances which you would like to share with the MBA Admissions Committee (i.e. unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, academic performance issues or areas of weakness in application). Please limit your response to 250 words.
Reapplicant Essays
Applicants who have applied to Goizueta Business School in the past are required to answer the following questions:
  • Define your short-term post-MBA career goals. How are your professional strengths, past experience and personal attributes aligned with these goals? (300 word limit)
  • Explain how you have improved your candidacy for Goizueta Business School’s MBA Program since your last application. (250 word limit)

You may also submit the optional essay if you wish.

For additional information on applying, please visit the Emory/Goizueta admissions website.

If you are looking for guidance on your MBA application, Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with hourly and comprehensive consulting services. Contact us to learn more. Visit the website for Stacy Blackman Reviews, and check out the company’s e-publications for more in depth school-by-school guidance.
Director
Director
Re: Expert advice for Emory Goizueta from Admissions Consultant blogs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2018, 11:36
“I wrote 24 applications over two years and was turned down nineteen times in a row before anyone said yes, and all said-and-done I received only two “yeses.”  Hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars I spent trying to get in, and was rejected over and over,” shares Ed Luggen.

Perseverance paid off for Ed Luggen, who graduated first in his class at Goizueta Business School and started a career with The Boston Consulting Group in July.

When Luggen signed up with Stacy Blackman Consulting in 2015, he had received more rejections than almost anyone we had ever worked with. The fact that he wanted to persevere was a true testament to his character, his resilience, drive and problem-solving abilities.

Recently, Luggen received his MBA from Emory’s Goizueta Business School, graduating #1 in the class. He was on the dean’s list for four semesters at Goizueta, receiving the most outstanding academic achievement award. Before going to Emory, Luggen was an associate attorney at Kurtz & Blum in the Raleigh-Durham area for just over three years.

He had graduated summa cum laude with his law degree from Michigan State University in 2012 and earned his bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering from Miami University. He did his MBA internship at Ford Motor Co. in global strategy before starting a career with The Boston Consulting Group in July.

This accomplishment was a test of character. Throughout his long journey, Luggen leveraged the challenges he faced and the wisdom he acquired through the admissions cycles to gain an admit to Emory GBS, even with a low undergrad GPA and a career that MBA admissions likely viewed as unfocused.

Within his story are five learnings that all applicants can benefit from.
#1 Embrace being the underdog
Ed’s success should serve as an engaging example for those who have had difficult setbacks and imperfect academic statistics.  His advice to others in this underdog category: “It’s going to be tougher for you than it will be for many other applicants and future classmates.  You are going to have to work harder to get admitted, know your story and how to tell it in a compelling fashion, spend more time networking to create opportunities, and suffer from more rejection.”

When Ed finally signed up with SBC he learned to embrace his shortcomings rather than trying to hide them. He learned to reveal the character created by his hardship and shortcomings.  MBA admissions officers know that struggle builds character.  Ed advises, “If you can turn your weakness into a strength, show the toughness your life has instilled in you, exercise the determination that’s gotten you this far, and package it in a polished and compelling story, you will find a school and a company that value you.”
#2 Don’t let adversity trip you up
“The biggest challenge in the application process was finding a school that would believe in me and my potential, and staying resolved in the face of rejection,” shared Luggen.  Ed knew he was good enough and stuck with it using the strategy developed with the Stacy Blackman Consulting team.

“I see now that it was a necessary process that landed me exactly where I should have been: at a school that appreciated my strengths and cared for my success.  Emory GBS was the perfect place for me, and my early struggles made me appreciate the school and the opportunities it brought me all the more.  Goizueta believed in me, and two years later I graduated first in my class.” Developing resilience is incredibly important during the MBA process, but it’s also essential in life. To be successful, you need to learn how to bounce back and try again.
#3 One size doesn’t fit all
The MBA is not a one-size-fits-all degree, and not every business school is equipped to help every person reach his or her unique professional goals.  After his experience at Goizueta with peers he described as “remarkable, yet down-to-earth,” Luggen advises future students to carefully consider student culture and community.

Ed shared, “Building a network of former classmates who will answer when you call and alumni who will go out of their way for you because they know where you’ve come from and the character your shared experience has built, that’s what it’s really about.”

Find an MBA program that appreciates what you have to offer, as it will be better suited to helping you achieve your unique professional aspirations. “I’ve left GBS feeling like I grew as a person and belonged to something very special.  Every student there was impressive in some way or another, and it was rewarding to get to know them as people and learn their strengths. You can take basic corporate finance anywhere, but leaving school feeling like you’ve been enriched in all facets of your life is a priceless benefit.” As well, Luggen shared, “GBS’s career opportunities well outpaced its position in the rankings.”
#4 Be Laser Focused
Nothing beats hard work and defined goals.  Luggen shared, “Many pursue an MBA… because it seems like a good next step in their life process; a foregone conclusion. But the people who really succeed both in their recruiting and academically know what they want and what they’re working toward. Knowing what you want will likely help you craft the story you tell to the MBA admissions committee, to recruiters, to contacts, and to classmates.  People love stories, and particularly they like good stories.  If you can tell a good story about yourself and why you have chosen your goals, it will help in many ways.”
#5 Stay tough and enlist the support you need
“My other advice is to stay tough,” says Luggen. After so many rejections, he could have given up, but he regrouped, and tried again with a different approach. When it came to recruiting, he similarly had to keep the faith.

“We had a few rock-star students who seemed to get every interview they applied for, but the majority of us would get dinged for reasons unknown, walking out of an interview thinking it went great.  We get declined for a first-round interview without explanation, even though we think ourselves a good fit.  We get to the final decision round and go home empty-handed on the same flight as our cheering classmates thinking ‘why them instead of me?’ That’s the life, though. Embrace it, keep faith in yourself, and let it make you stronger.”

In closing, a big thank you to Ed for placing his trust in SBC and for agreeing to be highlighted in the article. We are confident that many of you will be as inspired by Ed’s journey as we have been!

Ed’s journey first appeared as a guest post for the business school news portal Poets & Quants.

If you are looking for guidance on your MBA application, Stacy Blackman Consulting can help with hourly and comprehensive consulting services. Contact us to learn more. Visit the website for Stacy Blackman Reviews, and check out the company’s e-publications for more in depth school-by-school guidance.
Director
Director
Re: Expert advice for Emory Goizueta from Admissions Consultant blogs  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Aug 2018, 11:41

The Emory MBA program at Goizueta Business School in Atlanta offers a variety of programs, including a one-year MBA, a business analytics program and the traditional two-year MBA. The program is designed to give students practical, hands-on experience to be “day one ready” for their careers. Emory also provides a wide range of joint degree programs, expanding options for the MBA. Prospective students start working with a personalized career coach before setting foot on campus, and Emory claims high rankings with recruiters.

Before approaching your Emory MBA essays, you may benefit from viewing some of the video tips posted by the admissions committee. One tip that is especially useful to everyone preparing MBA applications is to take some time to brainstorm and really think about each essay question. As the student in the video describes, sometimes your immediate reaction is not actually the essay topic you will end up with.

ESSAY ONE
Define your short-term post-MBA career goals. How are your professional strengths, past experience and personal attributes aligned with these goals? (300 word limit)

This career goals essay focuses on the short-term and asks about your strengths, past experiences and personal attributes in support of those goals. Rather than reciting your resume, think about the key moments that have formed your experience, accomplishments and shaped your goals. Once you have identified a few defining career moments, you can describe how they demonstrated the strengths and personal attributes that will help you achieve your goal.

This essay is most effective if you are able to clearly show the through line between your past experience, the Emory MBA program and ultimately reaching your short-term post-MBA goals.

For example, if you have been working in management consulting and want to use your Emory MBA to shift into a strategy roll internal to a company, you might talk about how your past experience will help you to understand advising company’s on strategy, and how your classes and clubs at Emory will help you gain the relevant industry experience and academic knowledge to contribute to your new company.

ESSAY TWO
The business school is named for Roberto C. Goizueta, former Chairman and CEO of The Coca-Cola Company, who led the organization for 16 years, extending its global reach, quadrupling consumption, building brand responsibility, and creating unprecedented shareholder wealth. Mr. Goizueta’s core values guide us in educating Principled Leaders for Global Enterprise.
Provide an example of your leadership – professional or personal – and explain what you learned about yourself through the experience. (300 word limit)

When you are asked to provide an example, the admissions committee is trying to understand how you think, act and behave in a specific circumstance. The best predictor of your future behavior is your past, and this question asks you to think about how the past has shaped your development as a leader.

Use a specific story as your example and make sure you provide detail about the situation, what you did, and what you accomplished. Think about the lessons you learned and the way you were able to grow as a result of the experience. To be thoroughly convincing, a recent example of a time that you used these learnings would be effective.

Because Emory is asking specifically about a leadership element based on the school’s namesake, this is also a great place to incorporate your research on Goizueta’s leadership programs and values. In researching the program you will want to take advantage of the formal programs available, from school visits to admissions information sessions, as well as informal networking with current and former students.

ESSAY THREE
Complete one of the following statements. (250 word limit)
• I am passionate about…
• The best piece of advice I’ve received is…
• The best day of my life was…
• A personal goal I want to accomplish is…

This essay is open-ended and provides an opportunity to express yourself. Starting with the topic you want to cover and then backing into the question you will answer is a more structured way to approach this essay if you are daunted by the options.

Think about what examples, stories and ideas you have communicated in the prior questions and fill in the gaps with this response. You have covered your career progress thus far and your goals, and you have described your leadership style. Your resume and recommendations will provide more insight along both angles. This essay is an opportunity to add something additional to your application and round out the admissions committee’s view of your profile.

Your passions can be from your personal life, community involvement or career. For example, if you have entrepreneurial plans you are most likely passionate about building a business or your specific business idea. The best day of your life might be when you ran a marathon, earned a promotion, or got married. The question about the best piece of advice you have received is similarly open. The last option, “a personal goal I want to accomplish is…” is the only option that limits you to a personal response.

ESSAY FOUR
Share with the committee and your future classmates a fun or noteworthy fact about you. (25 word limit)

This essay introduces a classic icebreaker as a way for you to set yourself apart and show another side of your candidacy. What is the most surprising fact about you? Or perhaps the largest accomplishment you have achieved thus far? Since MBA applications tend to focus mostly on recent events in your life, this might be a place to tell the admissions committee that you were a champion volleyball player in high school, or that you wrote and directed a high school play.

OPTIONAL ESSAY
If you have additional information or feel there are extenuating circumstances which you would like to share with the MBA Admissions Committee (i.e. unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, academic performance issues or areas of weakness in application). Please limit your response to 250 words.

Ideally you have focused on your personal attributes and goals in the prior question, and can use this optional essay purely for anything you need to explain about your profile and application. For example, if you have periods of unemployment and need to describe how you spent your time, this is the place to do it. Other gaps might be a low GPA or GMAT, lack of advancement at work, or a recommender that is not a current supervisor.

To focus on one possible topic, if you do have unexplained gaps in your resume, how do you handle it? The ideal explanation is that you were doing something productive. That something productive could be traveling the world and learning more about yourself, volunteering, or even taking care of a family member or handling a family crisis.

Perhaps you were unemployed but wanted to be working and your job hunt took up most of your time. Even so, ideally you volunteered, pursued other hobbies, or took time to conduct informational interviews to learn about your career goals during the gap in employment. Think about how you can frame your activities to show that you are motivated and responsible.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Expert advice for Emory Goizueta from Admissions Consultant blogs &nbs [#permalink] 31 Aug 2018, 11:41

Expert advice for Emory Goizueta from Admissions Consultant blogs

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap