Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Executive MBA Dubai: Orientation and reflections so far [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Executive MBA Dubai: Orientation and reflections so far

By Executive MBA Dubai 2024 students

[b][url=https://www.linkedin.com/in/dina-aljuaid-0b872bba/]Dina Aljuaid[/url], EMBADJ2024[/b]

As a first-year Executive MBA student at London Business School, I had the pleasure of attending orientation week. This week was an exciting experience that marked the beginning of my journey towards achieving my career goals. The orientation week helped me gain a better understanding of what to expect during my time at the school and the numerous opportunities available to me.  I had the pleasure of meeting a diverse group of classmates from different backgrounds and industries, I was impressed by the school’s efforts to foster diversity and inclusiveness. The different cultures and backgrounds made the learning experience richer and more engaging.

We had the chance to network and build relationships with faculty, and alumni who shared their experiences and insights on how the program would benefit us. The orientation week was well-structured and informative. We had numerous sessions covering various topics such as leadership, communications, and ethics. The sessions were led by experienced professors,  career coaches, and professionals who provided us with invaluable insights into different areas that would be significant during and after the program. I also appreciated the networking opportunities available, which allowed us to establish connections with alumni in my intended post-MBA industry.

Overall, the orientation week was an immersive and exceptional experience. I felt more prepared and excited to begin my Executive MBA program. The events and sessions were well-planned and thoughtfully executed, and I learnt new skills, developed my existing ones, and established valuable connections. I am looking forward to the rest journey at London Business School, and I am grateful for the experience that orientation week provided me.

[b][url=https://www.linkedin.com/in/noor-rizvi-31389216/]Noor Rizvi[/url], EMBADJ2024[/b]

As a busy and seasoned professional seeking to increase my knowledge and business acumen, all whilst juggling a full-time career, family and other commitments, London Business School was the ideal choice to embark on my Executive MBA journey. The program offers an incredibly well-structured schedule and curriculum which allows you to prioritize all of your commitments whilst extracting the best possible value.

The admissions process was smooth and transparent, and the admissions team do an incredible job coordinating with you at the various stages, always ready to provide any support and clarifications you may need. The orientation week in London delivers great exposure and is an opportunity to network with key faculty, administrators, fellow students (both with yours and the London cohort) and alumni.

Spending the block weeks with my cohort in Dubai has enabled me to not only strengthen and hone my skills and learning through access to great courses and faculty but has also empowered me to make, foster and sustain strong friendships with my fellow classmates which I know will be with me a lifetime. London Business School is more than just an institution – it’s a community.

[b][url=https://www.linkedin.com/in/abdulkarim-alzakari-cfa-cqf-prm-6976a134/]Abdulkarim Alzakari[/url], EMBADJ2024[/b]

The LBS orientation week in London was such a great way to start the EMBA. It was well organized and packed with motivating and thoughtful activities that helped us kick start and build lasting connections with both cohort members (London and Dubai). Meeting so many great minds, working with them and getting to learn from them is a privilege.

The experience energized us all and got us back into the learning zone effectively. An unforgettable week and a truly thoughtfully organized orientation.

For further information about our Executive MBA Dubai programme, please click[b][url=https://www.london.edu/masters-degrees/executive-mba-dubai] here.[/url][/b]
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
Executive MBA London: Orientation and reflections [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Executive MBA London: Orientation and reflections
By Salima Fajal, EMBAL2022

Start your journey to success.

The Executive MBA (EMBA)program at London Business School is a world-class program that is designed to help experienced business professionals take their careers to the next level. Here are 10 reasons why you should choose the program at London Business School:

1.       World-class faculty: The faculty at London Business School are some of the most respected and renowned in the world. With years of experience in the business world, they bring a wealth of knowledge and expertise to the classroom.

2.       Diverse student body: The EMBA London program attracts students from all over the world, creating a rich and diverse learning environment. This provides a unique opportunity to learn from people with different perspectives and experiences. Many experts have recognised the importance of cognitive diversity for embracing the learning curve better. It is not all about work either, you go to sporting events, you make long-lasting friendships and you travel endlessly.

3.       Cutting-edge curriculum: The EMBA London program is constantly updated to reflect the latest developments in business theory and practice. You will learn the latest tools and techniques that are being used by successful businesses today. All lessons of negotiation included a component of negotiation in a virtual context for example. In the world economy class, we discuss the rise of populism as well as the cost of living crisis.

4.       Flexibility: The EMBA London program is designed to fit into your busy schedule. With a part-time format, you can continue working while you earn your degree. The program is also offered in a modular format, so you can spread out your learning over a longer period of time. I managed it while being a mummy and working full-time, it helps to explore your full superhero potential.

5.       Global reach: London Business School has a global network of alumni and partners. This provides opportunities for international study, networking, and career advancement. You have the ability to study in Hong-Kong, the US, and many more. I have always enjoyed jet-setting in all those beautiful locations, I now have friends on each continent.

6.       Leadership development: The EMBA London program is designed to help you develop the leadership skills you need to succeed in today’s business world. You will learn how to inspire and motivate your team, and how to make strategic decisions that drive growth. It did help me to inspire people, to aim higher, and make my team flourish.

7.       Real-world application: The EMBA London program is designed to be practical and applied. You will learn through real-world case studies, simulations, and projects. This will help you apply your learning directly to your work.

8.       Career development: London Business School has a dedicated Career Centre that offers support and guidance to help you achieve your career goals. You will have access to career coaching, job search resources, and networking opportunities. It does help to get your career to the next level, many of us received raises and promotions during our journey, and a few of us changed careers and were supported through the transition.

9.       Entrepreneurial focus: London Business School has a strong focus on entrepreneurship. You will learn how to develop and execute a business plan, and how to identify new business opportunities.

10.   Prestige: London Business School is consistently ranked as one of the top business schools in the world. By earning your EMBA London degree from London Business School, you will be joining an elite network of alumni and business leaders. Get those bragging rights!

These are just some of the many reasons why you should consider earning your EMBA degree from London Business School. So what are you waiting for to make your mark on the world?

For further information about our Executive MBA London programme, please click here.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
London Business Challenge Week: Everything you need to know [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: London Business Challenge Week: Everything you need to know
By Joao Miguel Rodrigues Pereira (MFA2023)

London Business Challenge Week (LBCW) is one of the Masters in Financial Analysis’ unique selling points. It’s an intensive but rewarding experience that allows students to address complex business challenges and develop solutions with real impact. Simultaneously, it constitutes a chance for businesses to gain fresh ideas and insights from our MFA cohort.

The company project champion and mentor present the project brief, clarifying the scope, objectives and expected deliverables of the project on the first day, with a final presentation and live feedback on the last day. The LBCW allows students to develop the skills that employers will be looking for, through immersion in a pressured environment. Students can build on their academic learning and gain insight and exposure to how companies work, whilst also developing their networking skills and improving their virtual presence.

Over the years, the MFA cohorts have built a strong track record and have become known for their diversity and talent and the insights and recommendations delivered by the MFA project team have helped organisations like The Raine Group to tackle pressing challenges.

As LBCW moved closer, we were provided with a list of companies that had a partnership with LBS, including both start-ups and established firms. We ranked our preferences according to our interests and I was super excited to be selected – along with 6 of my peers – to support INDIGO Fund.

INDIGO is a crypto hedge fund that invests across the entire spectrum of the market; from blue chip digital assets such as bitcoin and ether to the hottest tokens in the fast-growing GameFi, metaverse, and DeFi sectors. The INDIGO Fund is managed by a team of experienced professionals who have extensive experience in the institutional cryptocurrency ecosystem. The team also includes the well-known crypto DJ Blondish, bringing a unique creative perspective and insights to the fund. The fund’s investment strategy is centred on identifying and investing in high-quality, liquid tokens that have the potential for strong long-term growth.

After working groups were formed, we had our first contact with the project hosting companies in the form of an introductory pitch. For us, the presentation was held by Thomas Puech and Nathaneal Cohen from INDIGO Fund, who not only introduced their company and the project at hand but also explained their expectations regarding the quality of our work and the key deliverables. The project was focused on the NFT lending market, which at the time the NFT lending market was valued at 350 million US dollars. Despite the challenges faced by financial markets as a whole, the NFT lending market was proving to be “bear resistant,” with the ability to provide additional leverage during bull markets.

Our job was to perform a deep-dive analysis of the NFT lending/borrowing market across platforms using Crypto analytics data. Our analysis was expected to cover all important aspects of the loans, including structuring, the underlying price mechanisms, differences across platforms as well as a potential optimal loan structure. A second important deliverable of the project was to find what could be the next generation of NFT (e.g. fractionalized assets).

We started our work on the project right after the pitch by deconstructing the tasks into several milestones and creating a road map of when we would complete them. Over the next two days, we effectively assigned responsibilities among our group members and made great progress with our deliverables. In the middle of the week, we had the chance to discuss our status with the client, who provided us with constructive feedback on our approach and answered clarifying questions that had emerged during the process. I particularly enjoyed that every single member of our team brought a distinctive skillset to the table that they had acquired through previous work experiences. For me, the brainstorming and analysis of what could be the next generation of NFT was where I could provide the biggest impact.

At the end of Wednesday, we were able to merge the individual parts of our presentation and had a great time going through it together as everyone explained the intuition behind their work. I highly appreciated the respectful, professional and communicative mindset that every single member of our team demonstrated during the process – despite coming from vastly different geographical and cultural backgrounds, we were able to establish a strong communal spirit that made the teamwork not only very productive but also truly enjoyable. Towards the end of the week, we discussed our outcomes and prepared everything for the presentation at INDIGO’s office.

On Friday, the day of the presentation, we were able to successfully communicate our findings and answered all the questions posed by INDIGO. Besides Thomas Puech and Nathaneal Cohen, a private banker joined and tested our understanding of the topic by asking in-depth questions. We closed our presentation by providing an overview of the potential of web3 in the sports industry, where we demonstrated that assuming football properties are willing to adopt a long-term strategy when analysing possible web3 initiatives, this technology could become a major source of revenue within their commercial model.

For me, LBCW has been one of the best experiences during the MFA programme due to several reasons: firstly, the week allowed me to gain deep insights into the fascinating topic of Web 3 and why is it important in an exciting and motivating real-world environment. Secondly, the project gave me the chance to not only further develop my technical skills but also to put my intercultural team-working and communication skills to the test. Finally, the week was an amazing opportunity to get to know my team in a great way and it certainly forged a strong bond between us. I believe that all of these things incorporate what London Business School stands for and I am very grateful to everyone who made this experience possible: Thomas Puech and Nathaneal Cohen from INDIGO Fund, the MFA programme office and of course my fantastic teammates Cadman Long, Michelle Xue, Minxin Liu, Nina Ferrer-Eriksson and Susan An!

Interested in the MFA programme? Submit your CV or LinkedIn profile to have an informal chat with our team.
Director
Director
Send PM
Clubs at LBS: What you may be missing out on [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Clubs at LBS: What you may be missing out on
By [b][url=https://www.linkedin.com/in/kanaka-babshet/]Kanaka Babshet[/url][/b], MBA2024

Hey there, folks! I’m here to tell you about some of the wonderful clubs at London Business School.

Trust me when I say that LBS clubs do not entail your average extracurricular activities; they are an integral part of the LBS experience and offer an incredible way to get involved in the school community and beyond.

Firstly, let’s talk about the clubs’ diversity. LBS has over 80 clubs catering to professional, social, and cultural interests and covering a plethora of backgrounds and hobbies. From the Entrepreneurship Club to the Acting & Comedy Club, from the Geopolitics & Business Society to the Wine & Spirits Club – there is something for everyone.

One of the best things about the LBS club ecosystem is that you can take on ExCo roles to develop your leadership and organisational skills, work on event planning, network with industry professionals and really just organise cool things for your peers. As an ExCo member in the Product team of the Tech and Media Club (TMC), I’ve helped organise several talks featuring speakers from various tech scale-ups, helping students that are looking to pivot into product roles. But we’re not just about talks in the TMC. Recently, we organised ProductX: a four-week series covering crucial steps from ideation to execution in product management. We ended the series with an interactive mock interview between a Product Leader and a Product Manager at Meta (both LBS alumni). Oh, another one of the best things about the LBS clubs by the way – the alumni stay connected and generally love an opportunity to come back and talk about their experiences.

You may also have a passion for empowering, and working with, your peers from minority backgrounds. As the Professional Development team in the Women in Business (WiB) Club, we also organise company presentations and skills workshops for women from technical and diversified careers. Our aim is to connect women that can truly help each other and enable them to break down barriers to land the jobs they want and deserve, even if in a non-traditional background.

[img]https://admissionsblog.london.edu/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/Blog-Photo.jpg[/img]

But LBS isn’t just about work. I also play in the LBS Women’s Touch Rugby team. Now, I know you may be thinking, “Touch Rugby? Is that a real sport?” but let me tell you, we take it seriously. We have our own songs and nicknames, and we can’t forget about the post-game fines! It’s a great way to unwind and bond with some very fit LBS women.

Speaking of bonding, the regional clubs also organise some very exciting trips and cultural events. As an Indian-born, South African-raised person, these clubs have been a fantastic way for me to feel connected with my roots, while learning about other cultures and meeting incredible people. You can dance the night away at the India Club’s annual Diwali ball and join a HOST of international treks – I am personally currently planning to join the Jordan trek with the Middle East Club and even considering organising a Namibia and South Africa trek with the Africa Club.

Overall, getting involved in clubs at LBS is an absolute must. Not only do they provide valuable learning experiences, but they also help you build relationships with people across the school (outside your designated class) and form a community. And let’s face it, after hours of studying and working on assignments, it’s great to have a group of people to decompress with over a pint (or two).

So, immerse yourself in the ecosystem. You never know what talents and interests you might discover, and who knows, you might end up loving Touch Rugby, discovering a new city, or dancing away to foreign-language tunes!

For further information on London Business School’s student clubs, please click [url=https://www.london.edu/masters-degrees/activities-clubs-and-groups]here[/url].

Director
Director
Send PM
Is it too late to apply? Top tips from the Masters in Finance Recruitm [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Is it too late to apply? Top tips from the Masters in Finance Recruitment and Admissions team on applying in the later rounds
Some of the common questions we typically get asked around this time of year are:

Are there any spaces left on the programme?

Do I have less chance to be successful as a late applicant?

Can I still be eligible for a scholarship?

Considering the fact we do strongly encourage our prospective students to apply in the earlier rounds, it is completely understandable and valid to have these questions or hesitations if you are thinking of applying.

Yes, it is true, applying in the later stages can mean it is more competitive as many spaces have been filled in the earlier rounds (1-3 for full-time and 1-4 part-time). However we do ensure there are adequate places available for our later applying candidates. 

At London Business School, our priority is to curate classes to be as diverse as possible to enrich the student experience. We want not only diversity of nationalities, but also diversity of finance sector experience, therefore keeping a proportional number of spaces available and some merit scholarships mean we do not miss out on excellent candidates who are applying in those later rounds.

So the answer is no, it is not too late to be successful but it is more crucial than ever to submit a high quality application.

Here are some top tips:

1. Submit your profile here– Our Recruitment team would love to hear from you. If we believe that you are suited to our programme we will arrange a consultation with you.

2. Do your research

3. Essay questions

• Be clear in articulating your motivations for wanting to join the programme, why MiF, why LBS, why now?
  • Clearly think through your career goals and aspirations, are they realistic? Have you thought of a plan B? Is this right programme for you to achieve those goals?
  • Reference some core courses and electives, particularly those that align with your goals and aspirations.
  • Talk about how you may see yourself contributing to classroom discussions and the wider LBS community. Are there any student clubs or societies that you are keen to join?
  • Highlight any relevant leadership and international exposure you may have acquired and elaborate on how this will add value to your student community.
  • Be authentic – Don’t tell us what you think the Admissions Committee want to hear, tell us your unique story!

Here’s some advice from one of our MiF student ambassadors:

‘As a current student who applied during a later round, I would offer the following advice:

Most importantly, don’t just submit. Take a look at the website and contact the LBS Admissions team. They are extremely helpful. You want to make sure that this is the right programme for you. Review the core courses, the format of the programme and then take a look at the broader electives and features of the LBS community. Undoubtedly you will get benefits from the programme, be it the education, the community or the London location, so whilst it may feel a bit scary, that is always the best time to jump! Completing the application goes faster than you think, as does the remainder of the interview process. This is especially true if you’re interested in developing yourself in the field of finance and increasing your knowledge and exposure. Lastly, if you’re passionate about finance, then this is the programme for you.’

– Cameron Macdonald MIFFT2024

So, if you’ve read this and are keen on studying for a Masters in Finance, you have a few weeks before the final deadline for our full-time programme and still a couple of rounds to go before the final deadline for our part-time programme.

You can find our full deadline calendar for the full-time programme here and for the part-time programme here.
Director
Director
Send PM
London Business Challenge Week: How a hedge fund internship can turn y [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: London Business Challenge Week: How a hedge fund internship can turn you into a better consultant
By Fred Li (MFA 2023)

London Business Challenge Week background

The London Business Challenge Week is a unique one-week experience that allows MFA students to work with real-world clients in solving business challenges. Our team of seven was assigned to an innovative company that was disrupting food and beverage retail. I was particularly excited about this project, as I had zero consulting experience.

Talent and teamwork

On a bright Monday morning, we met our client on campus and the project was officially kicked off. The client introduced their business model and explained that they are currently considering a few growth opportunities across different verticals. Our task was to analyse two different verticals- gas stations and hotels and then gather data and generate insights that was useful to our clients.

At first, our team was quite worried about the challenge. The verticals were extremely niche and we were afraid that data made might be hard to come by. Second, we were not sure if we could find available research reports that would satisfy the scope of our clients.

One of the benefits of attending MFA is that most of your classmates have had internships experiences across various fields of finance. As we spent lunchtime getting to know each other, we discovered that within our team of seven, we had multiple experiences in real estate private equity (REPE), consulting, banking, equity research and hedge fund. Our REPE teammate quickly rose to the occasion, shared her experience analysing the hotel industry and pointed us towards potentially useful reports.

Since she had experience in real estate, we quickly split the team into two, with her leading the hotel team with two other teammates and the rest of us covering the gas station segment. We also elected our leader who demonstrated strong interest in this project and had excellent communication skills to coordinate the team.

Transferrable skills

I joined the gas station team with teammates from equity research and banking backgrounds. One of the first things we did was leveraging databases to find existing industry research reports. As we exhausted these reports, we were only able to find some aggregate number and big industry trends. However, we decided that we needed to dive into the unit economics level to generate extra insight. The research reports had mentioned a few listed companies and they became our natural next step.

On day two, we started our research into companies. Since I have done a hedge fund internship, analyzing annual reports (10-k) and reading IPO prospectus were right up my alley. I quickly delved into the footnotes and began painting a picture that would best reflect the operational reality of these stores. The process was arduous and a few key data points were unavailable from our research. After a day of scouring through 10-ks, I decided that some of the data points were impossible to find and we needed to resort to extrapolation.

By day three and thanks to the help of our teammate with a consulting background, we were extremely clear on what our final deliverables would look like. We would provide a total addressable market (TAM) analysis that would paint a macro picture for our client, accompanied by a per-store analysis that would explain the unit economics of this industry. Although we had not found all the numbers yet, we had developed a clear logic on how we would size the market. A few key drivers such as penetration rate, daily traffic, and $ per order were identified and we began to create sensitivity analysis on these key assumptions.

By the end of day four, we had mostly finished our data gathering, turned our model into a reusable template and shifted to generating insights. It was remarkable how people from different backgrounds could complement each other. While I provided the data gathered from 10-ks and came up with a few quantitative insights, our banking teammate was exceptional at generating clean and precise graphics that perfectly matched the talking points of our presentations. Our consulting teammate was able to convert quantitative insights into easy to understand one line summaries, such as Urban > suburban, and Company owned > franchised. Our equity research teammates were able to find other reports that supported our viewpoint and helped made our final pitch much more convincing.

Result and takeaways

On the afternoon of day five, we presented our findings to the clients. While preparing for our final presentation, we could not help but feel quite proud with how much we had achieved within a span of five days. While we were still clueless on Monday morning, we had become quite knowledgeable in the gas station economics across UK and Europe by Friday morning. We were familiar with top names, their strategies and had generated a strong view on where our client should target their next growth opportunity.

After our delivery, the clients were very pleased and positively surprised with the amount of insights that we had generated. They quite enjoyed our emphasis on sensitivity analysis, providing them with a range of results instead of one “correct answer.” They also provided us with feedback such as having less text on our slides and putting more information to appendix. I was extremely happy when the clients confirmed that their views had actually aligned with ours and they were already collaborating with one of the names that we had recommended in our report.

I had three takeaways from this experience:

[*]Embrace teamwork and analyse what each person brings to the table. When you are working with capable and talented individuals, there is so much that you can learn from one another.[/*][*]Understand each person’s strength and structure the project so that everyone could play to his or her strengths. For example, the REPE teammate would maximize her value add by leading the hotel team and I would maximize my value add by sticking to analysing 10-k reports.[/*][*]Last but not least, it is important to stay committed to your team members and clients. Everyone from our team took ownership of the project, held each other accountable and that was what made the experience so enjoyable.[/*][/list]
Director
Director
Send PM
Developing the Next Generation of Leaders: London Business Schools Lea [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Developing the Next Generation of Leaders: London Business School’s Leadership Incubator
The Leadership Incubator is a platform for student leaders at London Business School to discover, develop and practice their leadership competencies. Now in its eighth year, the Leadership Incubator is a partnership between three teams at LBS: [url=https://www.london.edu/masters-degrees/experiential-learning]Experiential Learning[/url], the [url=https://www.london.edu/faculty-and-research/leadership-institute]Leadership Institute[/url], and the [url=https://know-how.london.edu/]Career Centre[/url].   

The learning journey starts in September each year and takes students with leadership roles within our community on an iterative process of collective exploration and experimentation. The key components of the Leadership Incubator include [url=https://admissionsblog.london.edu/unlocking-high-performance-team-dynamics-with-the-leadership-incubator/]insight from faculty[/url], reflective practice, coaching from an executive coach, action learning and practical workshops.

Recently, the students participated in an interactive workshop focused on using their whole body to communicate effectively as a leader. This was facilitated by Esam Bakhsh. One of the concepts he introduced was the [b]Trust Equation[/b]. This can be a powerful tool for leaders to build trust with their team members and colleagues. Students learnt that the Trust Equation is based on four key components: credibility, reliability, intimacy, and self-orientation.

Credibility

Credibility is the foundation of the Trust Equation. It refers to the leader’s competence, expertise, and knowledge. Credible leaders inspire confidence and trust in their team members. The team believes that the leader has the necessary skills and expertise to guide them towards success.

Reliability

The second component of the Trust Equation is reliability. Does the leader follow through on their commitments and promises? Leaders who are reliable build trust with their team members by delivering on their promises and consistently meeting expectations.

Intimacy

Intimacy is the third component of the Trust Equation. In a business context, intimacy refers to the leader’s ability to connect with their team members on a personal level. Intimate leaders build trust by showing empathy, being approachable, and demonstrating that they care about their team members’ well-being.

Self-orientation

The final component of the Trust Equation is self-orientation. It refers to the leader’s focus on themselves rather than their team members. Leaders high in self-orientation may be perceived as selfish or self-serving, eroding trust.

Applying the Trust Equation

In this Leadership Incubator workshop, students learnt that leaders can build trust with their team members and colleagues by focusing on the four components of the Trust Equation. They can demonstrate credibility by sharing their expertise and knowledge, reliability by following through on their commitments, intimacy by connecting with their team members on a personal level, and low self-orientation by putting the needs of their team members first.

[b][url=https://www.linkedin.com/in/vishalkhandheria/]Vishal Khandheria[/url][/b] is the Co-President of the LBS Acting & Comedy Club and a member of the Leadership Incubator. “I am responsible for coaching and leading the school improv comedy team. So, this workshop hit close to home. Often in business situations, we unknowingly block ideas or think too much before speaking. I notice this with every new improviser that I have coached. The exercises in this session helped my peers break out of those habits. Esam demonstrated the power of saying “Yes, And” to acknowledge new ideas from team members. It shows how a simple change in behaviour can build creativity in a team and lead to innovation”.

In this Leadership Incubator workshop, students learnt that using their whole body to communicate, including nonverbal cues such as body language and tone of voice, can help them build trust as a leader. By communicating clearly and authentically, all leaders can reinforce their credibility, reliability, intimacy, and low self-orientation, which can enhance trust and improve their ability to lead effectively.

[b]If you’d like to know more about the Leadership Incubator, please contact [email=student-led@london.edu]student-led@london.edu[/email].[/b]
Director
Director
Send PM
My Journey to securing a Summer Internship in Investment Banking [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: My Journey to securing a Summer Internship in Investment Banking
ByPalak Gupta, MFA 2023

I have always been intrigued by the challenging and fast-paced work environment of investment banking, and the LBS MFA was the best place to equip myself with the knowledge and skills for my chosen career arc. With the aim of gaining valuable experience in this field, I was determined to secure a summer internship in London for the upcoming year. However, I was aware of the intense competition for such internships and the situation of the London Job market and recognized the need to prepare myself thoroughly in order to stand out from the rest of the applicants.

Where did I start?

[*]Research: My preparation for the recruitment process began with extensive research into various investment banking firms, their cultures, and their work opportunities. I perused numerous materials on the job descriptions, roles, and responsibilities within the investment banking industry, which helped me in identifying and selecting companies that would suit my skills and interests. After careful consideration, I applied to several boutiques and bulge bracket firms, which required a tailored resume that could showcase my academic achievements, relevant coursework, and previous work experiences.

[/*][*]Networking: Networking was also an essential part of my preparation, and I sought out opportunities to interact with alumni, professors, and professionals in the finance industry. I attended industry events, workshops, and careers where I could network with individuals in the field, introduce myself, and inquire about their experiences. I made sure to follow up with them afterwards to express my gratitude and maintain communication. I must add that LBS provided a vast and diverse network that I was able to leverage to my advantage, and the feeling of community in the LBS circle is something I am very grateful for. I was able to get all my reservations and doubts answered by LBS graduates from across all cohorts and graduation years, who worked in the most prestigious of banks in major financial hubs of the world.

[/*][*]Applications: I made sure to tailor my cover letter to each of the company’s values and to highlight my relevant skills and experiences. I submitted my application well before the deadline and followed up with the company’s recruitment team to confirm that my application had been received.[/*][/list]

Why Moelis?

After interacting with several LBS alumni in the industry, I was particularly drawn to Moelis for its unique corporate culture and alignment with my career aspirations. The role was of a generalist nature and perfectly suited my short-term ambitions. When they reached out to me for an interview, I was elated and immediately began to prepare for the opportunity.

What was the preparation like?                                              

I delved deeply into the company’s website, perused annual reports, and familiarized myself with its services, operations, and reputation. I completed relevant courses and online certifications in financial analysis, including financial modelling, valuation, and accounting, to enhance my knowledge and skills. In addition, I engaged in mock investment banking case studies with other members of the finance club at LBS and practised responding to interview questions in front of the mirror and with peers, thereby honing my soft skills and interview techniques.

Preparing for the technical aspects of the internship was also crucial, and I sharpened my problem-solving and analytical skills through practice and resources such as “Breaking into Wall Street” and the “Investment Banking Interview Prep Guide.” By focusing on the development of these skills, I was able to approach case studies and financial problems with confidence and proficiency.

For each stage of the interview process, I made sure to arrive early and dress professionally. I made sure that I entered feeling confident and well-versed in common behavioural and technical questions. I was also familiar with Moelis’s recent deals and demonstrated a strong interest in the company’s culture and values, which seemed to have impressed my interviewers. After completing the interview process, I sent an email to them to express my appreciation for the opportunity after each progressive stage.

The moment of truth: The Offer

Finally, the long-awaited news arrived sometime in early October, and I was thrilled to receive a call from the HR team offering me the internship. This feels like an incredible opportunity to acquire the ability to contextualize data to craft high-impact business narratives and engage in real, hands-on work. I am certain that these 12 weeks will not only provide me with valuable experience and exposure to the industry but also open doors to potentially challenging opportunities for me in the future.

For further information about our Masters in Financial Analysis programme, pleaseclick here.
Director
Director
Send PM
Getting to know Themba Muchaneta [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Getting to know Themba Muchaneta
Themba Muchaneta was a much-loved MBA2021 alumnus who sadly passed away in 2022. The Themba Muchaneta scholarship will support one Black in Business MBA scholar, who will commence study in 2023. This scholar will carry forward the legacy of Themba’s impact at LBS; the positive impact he had on everyone around him and on all the important initiatives he was a part of. Like Themba, the scholar will contribute to racial equality at LBS and beyond and the Black in Business Club.

[b]Getting to know Themba; the gentle giant, the symbol of hope, the change-maker[/b]

Within this article, we are honoured to share some heartwarming contributions from those that knew Themba best, his family and friends. We hope the following contributions shine a light on how wonderful Themba was as a person, how he advocated for equality, and how he became a voice for anyone that was struggling.

[b]Themba’s early years[/b] can best be described as a symphony of struggle and success. Themba attended St Augustine’s Missionary School in Zimbabwe and studied Systems Engineering at Loughborough University in the UK. Themba strived and evolved to be the best, he recognised that there was always so much to learn and so many ways to grow, and through it all, he was never deterred by challenges. Themba had to take on part jobs to supplement his tuition and living expenses when financing his studies. He would later comment that the experience built his resilience to succeed in whatever circumstance. It was this life journey that gave birth to his quote, “Failure was not an option.”

[b]Themba’s early professional years[/b], the next nine-year period prior to London Business School, was captured by Themba’s work with Mott Macdonald. He took on different roles in the London and South Africa offices as a systems engineer consultant. In this role, he travelled a lot and was exposed to wealth disparities in different communities. He learned to lead by example, seeking potential in every individual, and finding huge satisfaction in seeing individuals thrive under his leadership. He was known for connecting the dots to processes, providing a fresh perspective for those he worked with. Themba had a brilliance of mind that excelled and illuminated other’s paths.

[b]The man, the dream, the legacy.[/b] Themba constantly challenged himself, pushing himself to move forward. It was this drive that led him to LBS. Themba chose to study for a Master of Business Administration (MBA), and while studying he interned for the startup company ALCHERA Technologies. 

Themba actively contributed to the LBS Africa Club where he found space to highlight the disparities that exist within societies due to unequal distribution of wealth and lack of opportunities, especially among minority, marginalised and poor communities in Africa, the UK and all around the world.  

He was appointed the President of the Africa Club in 2020. Themba Muchaneta in many ways became the opportunity and the possibility that we all needed. He became a symbol of hope, and he was the light that beckoned to all who knew him and those who came to know him to aim higher. Just as fire gives off warmth and draws people to it, so did Themba’s legacy of inclusion.   

London Business School, as an international institute, gave Themba the opportunity to have influence locally and internationally, using the space of his presidency of the LBS Africa club and his involvement with the Black in Business community. These platforms allowed him to shine a light on issues close to his heart like social injustice, wealth distribution disparities and lack of educational opportunities.  

Even as Themba embarked on his next phase at Amazon, he did so with passion, dedication, integrity and a sense of adventure that made everyone want to participate. His curiosity and imagination challenged him to step into uncharted territory.  He sought to facilitate change. At times from the background, he played a significant role as a change-maker, remaining present, consistent, engaged, and graceful yet full of energy, life and ideas. 

Themba’s presence and impact will forever be felt because it remains in all of us whose lives crossed his as we carry the ideals forward, by being forces of change in our spheres of influence. He saw beyond the horizon.  

[b]Themba volunteered[/b] his time at the Greenlight refugee response, where he connected with people searching for opportunities. He shared this with his friends and family at the time, “I volunteered to go to Calais thinking I was going to make a difference by helping individuals who had no hope. Instead, I met resilience at its best. I met individuals who were not deterred by obstacles but were stirred forward by dreams and the hope that lay ahead. I was challenged to dream and hope! I count it a blessing that I do not have to face some of the challenges that these determined individuals face.”

Themba’s legacy embodies humanity at its best, selfless and seeking out the best in everyone. Whether brief or long, Themba never touched a life and left it the same.  

With this honour, we imagine a huge smile on Themba’s face, yet still not satisfied that the work is done, but feeling that there is more to be done to make the world a better place for everyone. He believed if we all played our part, individually and collectively we could turn dreams into reality.

We trust that this scholarship, named in honour of Themba K.I.G. Muchaneta will transform a life which in turn will transform lives. To London Business School, we thank you for nurturing the best in Themba. You created and allowed him space to flourish and indeed he did flourish.  Within these walls, he evolved as he turned his dreams into reality.  Themba thrived and he was happy at LBS. He was proud to be part of its community. He dreamt of a future he wanted for himself and for others with a smile that belied the long hours of assignments. 

[b]For those who didn’t know Themba well, [/b]you would assume he was quiet, maybe reserved, but you would never underestimate his strength. For those of us who were fortunate enough to share close moments with him, he was our beloved gentle giant. He was our fearless sole leader of The Africa club. He was our photographer during hikes in the UK and travels in South Africa and Kenya. He was a basketball player in his free time whether through the LBS Basketball club or in his neighbourhood and could be spotted in the distance by his bright yellow Warriors cap.  He never hesitated to pick up the phone for a quick or hours-long call to catch up. He would always show up and lend an ear to anyone in the LBS community, even after graduation. He was a comedian in his own right, his humour coming across as subtle, yet refreshing. He taught us that you don’t need to be the biggest or loudest person to have a great impact. He put thought into the words he spoke, often captivating our attention and expanding our minds. Themba was a classmate, a resource, and a friend who genuinely cared about the people he came in contact with. 

It is fitting that a BIB scholar will have the honour of receiving a scholarship bearing his name because we’re sure that in some way he will have contributed to that student’s presence at LBS. It was a pleasure to feel the passion he had for promoting opportunities for people of Black and African descent. [b]Themba, we look forward to carrying on your good work and ensuring that your legacy lives on in all of us. [/b]

[img]https://admissionsblog.london.edu/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/IMG-20230411-WA0001-edited.jpg[/img]

[img]https://admissionsblog.london.edu/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/IMG-20230411-WA0018-edited-1.jpg[/img]

[img]https://admissionsblog.london.edu/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/IMG-20230411-WA0010-1024x768.jpg[/img]

Director
Director
Send PM
Exploring the Entrepreneurship Summer School [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Exploring the Entrepreneurship Summer School
By Eric Saikali – Recruitment Associate for Leadership Programmes

As a prospective student of London Business School, you may be wondering what opportunities there are for entrepreneurship within our degree portfolio. A large number of students on our Sloan Masters in Leadership and Strategy choose to take the Entrepreneurship Summer School (ESS) elective, which runs during the School break in July each year and is a great opportunity to further your studies throughout the School holidays.

The ESS is open to students across all programmes at LBS and is even popular among our Executive MBA students. It is ideal for students who want to gain further entrepreneurial knowledge and familiarise themselves with the entrepreneurial way of life. It is also ideal for those who wish to assess the viability of a new venture idea.

This highly experiential programme consists of one week of intensive study followed by several weeks of field research and will culminate in presentations to panels of investors and successful entrepreneurs accustomed to assessing entrepreneurial opportunities. 60 spaces are allocated to students each year and students can apply individually or in teams of two or three.

Lily, an alumna of the Sloan 2022 class, told us a bit about her experience taking the elective:

“London Business School has an outstanding reputation and implements high standards of business education worldwide. One of its most well-known elective modules is the Entrepreneurship Summer School, which welcomes both LBS students and external participants. The program challenges the conventional notion that entrepreneurs are born, not made.

Its curriculum is structured into practical and theoretical components and includes six forces: peers, mentors, faculty, customers, research, and investors. Through macro and micro-level approaches, students gain a deep understanding of industry statistics, market trends, and customer expectations. The faculty’s expertise in selecting relevant business literature ensures that participants get a holistic view of entrepreneurship. Also, the program’s experiential nature allows learners to experiment with playful activities, games, and simulations.

From my personal point of view, the Entrepreneurial Summer School provides three key outcomes: confidence, opportunity, and connections. I naturally gained confidence and self-belief through comprehensive research, feedback from peers and mentors, and the use of the right metrics. The program also offers the opportunity to meet with investors who may fund their projects. The mentors are experienced business owners and entrepreneurs who are keen on supporting new ideas. Moreover, the program builds a diverse network of participants from different industries and geographic locations, allowing students to connect with potential business partners or co-founders.

I have come to the conclusion that London Business School’s Entrepreneurship Summer School is one of the most successful entrepreneurship programmes in the UK. The elective equips participants with the skills and knowledge necessary to gain an integrated perspective of entrepreneurship.”

The course is directed in 2023 by Jeff Skinner and Rupert Merson, whose faculty profiles you can read here.
Director
Director
Send PM
How LBS Helps Students from Diverse Backgrounds Enter Consulting [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: How LBS Helps Students from Diverse Backgrounds Enter Consulting
Consulting is one of the key industries that LBS Graduate Masters students choose to pursue. In 2022, about 50% of Masters in Management & Masters in Analytics and Management and 10% of Masters in Financial Analysis (MFA) Graduates worked as consultants after graduating from LBS. However, the process of securing a consulting offer can appear intimidating for many students. Many think that to become a consultant, one must have studied business as their undergraduate degree, completed multiple consulting internships, be an extrovert, and prepare cases since elementary school. However, the reality is very different. Consulting firms value candidates with diverse experiences and have historically hired students coming from a plethora of backgrounds.

In this article, we (seven Graduate Masters students) aim to show that there is not one right way to go into consulting by sharing the experiences of current students and explaining the many resources that LBS provides to help students, even without any prior consulting experience, land a job in the industry.

Diversity Does Not Hurt – It Helps

When Chris Ng (MiM2023, incoming BCG) joined LBS, he had spent the past four years of his undergraduate pharmacology degree conducting medical research and interning in the healthcare industry. Like many students from a non-traditional business background, he was uncertain whether consulting firms would be interested in his profile. However, he soon realised that many firms were interested in his unique experiences. He states: “Coming from an unconventional background, I thought it would be much more difficult for me to land a role in consulting, but this couldn’t be further from the truth. Many firms value people with different experiences, and my unique profile allowed me to stand out in interviews compared to other candidates.”

Regardless of the relevance of their previous experiences, many LBS students have found that their unique background has only helped them in their consulting recruitment process. For example, Drishti Hoskote (MAM2023, incoming Pearson Ham), a computer science graduate from PES University Bangalore, says: “I thought that coming from a non-business background with zero full-time experience would be a disadvantage for me. But I think that streamlining my internship experiences into learnings that I can use in Consulting helped me boost my application further. Motivation and fit also formed a large part of my application: even if you are good at cases, fit can be a make or break.”

“I would definitely encourage students with non-traditional backgrounds to still apply for consulting.” Fangchen Wang (MAM2023, incoming Delta Partners), a computer science graduate from Nanjing University, says. “You should leverage your unique experiences rather than letting them hinder you in achieving your career aspirations”.

To showcase the diversity of student profiles that go into consulting, we have compiled a brief overview of seven students’ paths to land a job in the industry. You can download these one-pagers here.

LBS Consulting Resources

Landing a job in consulting is far from easy, regardless of the background. Luckily, LBS helps you tremendously throughout the entire recruitment journey in four ways: The Career Centre, the LBS community, the student clubs, and the Consulting Guide.

The Career Centre can be a great help even before your LBS programme begins! For example, Chris already scheduled 1:1 calls with the Career Centre in July, two months before his programme started! This preparation helped him fix his CV, save a lot of time during the year, and begin applying early. Furthermore, during the programme, the Career Centre offers many options to help you land a job: it organises networking events, coaches you in 1:1 sessions, and shares sector knowledge through dedicated sector experts.

Second, LBS offers an extensive student & alumni network. Joao Pereira (MFA2023, incoming McKinsey & Company) argues that this network made the difference for his applications. Not only did he case with MBA students who have previously worked for McKinsey, he even got a referral through this great network and eventually ended up interviewing with LBS alums at McKinsey. Fangchen advises everyone to proactively contact alums and seek mentorship; they’ll be happy to help!

Third, several student clubs at LBS are focused on consulting. Janis Wolfisberg (MiM2023, incoming Oliver Wyman) profited hugely from these consulting clubs. He got access to preparation resources and gained real-life experience in pro-bono consulting projects.

Finally, the team of current LBS students that composed this article also wrote the Graduate Masters Consulting Recruitment Guide. This extensive document will be available to all accepted LBS students and summarises key information across the entire application journey. It starts with the introduction to consulting & the firms and then summarises all aspects of an application, including CVs, cover letters, and personal fit & case interviews. We specifically tailored this guide to LBS students, e.g., it includes a whole section on how to network at LBS. Highlights include example phrases you can use in cover letters and a complete transcribed interview to showcase how one can structure interview answers.

In conclusion, consulting can be an excellent opportunity for business school students regardless of background or experiences. Although landing a job in the industry is difficult and full of obstacles, LBS provides many resources to help students land their dream consulting offer.

Christopher Ng (MiM2023) and Niklas Gaertner (MAM2023)
Director
Director
Send PM
Elevate 2023 [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Elevate 2023

[img]https://admissionsblog.london.edu/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/FLII.png[/img]

The FLII in Business Club is excited to announce its inaugural conference ELEVATE on Friday, May 12th featuring a day of speakers and panels on the topic of social mobility.

At ELEVATE, we are bringing together leaders and experts from diverse backgrounds to discuss how we can promote social mobility and create a more equitable and inclusive business world. Our speakers will provide insights on education, investing, diversity, equity, and inclusion in organizations, all with the goal of breaking down systemic barriers and levelling the playing field for everyone. We are thrilled to announce our first set of notable speakers –

[list][*][b]Orla Mc Gouran[/b] – Partner at EY [/*][*][b]Mikael Down[/b] – Executive Director, EMEA diversity action council at Morgan Stanley [/*][*][b]Peter Cooper[/b] – Associate Partner, Mckinsey & Company [/*][*][b]Susanna Kempe[/b] – CEO of Laidlaw Foundation [/*][*][b]Charlotte Smith[/b] – Associate Director, Scholarships and R&A at London Business School  [/*][*][b]Tim Roberts[/b] – Co-lead of AlixPartners UK, Chair of Trustees for Mayor’s Fund London [/*][/list]

Keep an eye out for further update on our list of speakers. You can find the full agenda and tickets here.

[url=https://lbs.eventscase.com/EN/flii-elevate2023][b]Buy Ticket[/b][/url] 

The ELEVATE conference is being sponsored by [b]The Leadership Institute[/b][b] [/b]and [b]The Wheeler Institute of Business and Development[/b]. 
Director
Director
Send PM
An Experience Like No Other The MBA at LBS [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: An Experience Like No Other – The MBA at LBS
As someone born and raised in Bucharest, and having worked as an M&A lawyer in Romania before pursuing the MBA, I did not fully grasp how transformative the experience would be. After completing the programme, I moved to consulting in Sydney for three years, and then landed back in London in a strategy role in renewable energy. In hindsight, I can confidently say that the MBA journey was an experience like no other; so I would like to share three lessons I distilled over the years that might help you as a prospective student considering your options.

An MBA is for life

The MBA might seem a tool for personal and professional development limited to those 15 to 24 months spent taking the course, but the degree also opens up opportunities for lifelong learning, valuable friendships, and a strong network. It’s a valuable investment in your future that will continue to pay dividends throughout your life.

During the programme, I had the privilege to meet and work alongside talented individuals from different backgrounds and cultures. The intensity of the two MBA years has accelerated and deepened the friendships I formed with classmates, meaning that our connection has lasted beyond graduation and has been instrumental in my growth.

In addition to expanding my network, the course equipped me with the skills necessary to become a lifelong learner, something key in staying relevant and keeping up with the ever-changing business landscape: how to ask the right questions, how to research and analyse complex problems, and how to synthesize and present my findings in a clear and concise manner.

Moreover, the school provides its alumni with ongoing learning opportunities, ensuring that we continue to grow and develop our careers long after graduation. In recent years for example, I have been regularly attending the events organised by the Wheeler Institute for Business and Development.

Benefits go far beyond the ROI

When I decided to pursue an MBA, I did so with the expectation that it would provide a good return on investment (ROI). I wanted to improve my earning potential and have better job prospects. However, what I didn’t fully realise was that the benefits of an MBA go far beyond just financial gain.

One of the most significant benefits of an MBA is personal growth. During the programme, you’re exposed to new ideas, challenged to think differently, and pushed out of your comfort zone.

Another benefit of an MBA is the exposure to different cultures and perspectives. My study group in year one was made up of a Chinese accountant, a Mexican consultant, an Indian banker, another consultant, this time from the US, and I, a Romanian lawyer. I completed an exchange in the US, I travelled to China, Japan, Peru, Chile and Bolivia, and I worked in India and the UK. This gave me the opportunity to learn about different cultures and ways of thinking. It also helped me become a more effective leader, as I learned how to communicate and work with people from diverse backgrounds.

Outside your comfort zone is where you should be

In the summer between the two MBA years, I had the opportunity to complete an internship in Mumbai, India, which turned out to be a life-changing experience. This was my first time working in a corporate role outside of the legal area and my first time in India altogether.

Initially, I was nervous about the internship, as it was far outside of my comfort zone. However, I quickly realised that stepping outside of your comfort zone is where growth and learning occur. Working in a new culture and environment provided me with a unique set of challenges that helped me develop new skills and adaptability.

The experience also taught me the importance of approaching problems with an open mind and being flexible when faced with the unexpected. These skills have proven invaluable in my career and personal life, allowing me to tackle new challenges with confidence and ease.

All in all, when deciding to pursue an MBA, I would suggest you make sure you think of the big picture. And when you go through the experience, make sure you fully embrace it.

Anca Velicu, MBA2017
Director
Director
Send PM
My MBA Experience and What I Learnt at LBS [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: My MBA Experience and What I Learnt at LBS
As an engineer with 12 years of military experience (both full-time and reserve) and several years of work in various engineering roles, I joined the MBA2020 programme at LBS to shift my career to a more business-oriented path with no specific role or industry focus in mind.

My main goal was to experience new things, step out of my comfort zone, and be open to all career paths and opportunities. I wanted to diversify my knowledge and skill set to be better equipped to handle any challenge that may come my way in the future as a manager. I therefore intentionally diversified my courses instead of taking a concentration in a specific topic. This allowed me to gain exposure to different fields of study, including business analytics, organizational behaviour, branding, and corporate finance, among others. I learned valuable analytical and strategic thinking skills that I can now apply in my current role at Amazon.

Reflecting back, these are the main things I learnt in the programme and I’ve carried to my current role:

[*]Business Analytics: One of the key takeaways from the programme was the importance of data-driven decision-making. In Amazon, decisions are made based on detailed analysis of relevant data. The advanced business analytics courses I took at LBS provided me with the skills to mine data, build complex models around it, analyse it to get to statistical-based evidence, and finally present it in a way that could justify a business case. This has been an invaluable asset for me in my current role, as I am often involved in making decisions that impact the company’s operational strategy.[/*][*]Exposure to real-life business cases: An important aspect of my MBA experience was the exposure to real-life business cases and hands-on consulting. Throughout the programme, I participated in LondonCAP and several extra-curricular pro-bono consulting projects, such as Impact Consulting and the IXL case competition. These activities gave me a glimpse into the challenges that managers face in steering their companies and helped me feel more comfortable in my first days at Amazon. One of the most memorable pro-bono projects I worked on involved mapping the product landscape to recommend the product that fit best with the company’s long-term strategy. This year, I have been working on a very similar task at Amazon, and the skills and knowledge I gained from the project proved invaluable in helping me to succeed in my role.[/*][*]Diversity: Learning and working in a highly diverse environment was one of the most rewarding aspects of my MBA experience. At Amazon, I operate across more than 10 countries, and the highly diverse student body at LBS was an excellent preparation for this. It allowed me to be exposed to and learn about cultures, work habits, and opinions I never knew before. This experience has been helpful in creating meaningful connections with my colleagues, adjusting my working style based on geography, and better communicating internally and externally.[/*][/list]

Overall, the MBA programme at LBS has been instrumental in helping me transform my career. I have gained valuable skills and knowledge that I can now apply in my career. I find also other LBS courses to be helpful along the way and I often revisit my notes and business cases from my MBA courses for inspiration in solving problems I face at work. I am confident that the knowledge and skills I gained from the programme will continue to influence and shape my career in the future.

Edan Naiberg, MBA2020
Director
Director
Send PM
LBS from a Londoners perspective Insights from a Masters in Finance St [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: LBS from a Londoner’s perspective – Insights from a Masters in Finance Student
By Ben Gauna (MIFFT2023)

LBS prides itself on its diverse and international community, attracting students from over 100 countries. You can look at all the numbers and stats, but you don’t truly appreciate how diverse LBS is until you get here. I can recall a distinct moment early in my first week when the depth of this diversity truly hit me. There I was, nestled amongst my peers in an auditorium, listening to Dean François Ortalo-Magné. As he guided us through a unique ‘roll call’, having us stand when our respective countries/regions were called out, to my surprise the fewest stood for the UK.

London is known for its diversity and having worked in London for 6 years I have worked in some very diverse environments. However, I have learnt more about different cultures and backgrounds in the last year at LBS than I have during my work experience in London.

A classic icebreaker question you’ll hear in your first term and intermittently throughout your time at LBS is “Where are you from?” – it’s virtually the LBS anthem!

This cultural melting pot offers a unique opportunity to learn from your peers, gain insights into different markets, and expand your global network. Furthermore, LBS provides various exchange programs and global immersion opportunities, allowing you to study and work in different business environments worldwide.

The first term can be very overwhelming, and you can feel at times that you are juggling too many things. Whilst everyone is focused on meeting fellow classmates, you must balance these social interactions with your friendship base already in London, family commitments and there might be times when you feel stretched thin. This hectic schedule may make you feel like you’re missing out when you can’t attend every social gathering or event.

Yet, it’s essential to strike a balance between embracing the LBS experience and staying connected to your life outside of school. After all, being a Londoner gives you a unique perspective and an opportunity to share your love for the city with your classmates. It also gives you the opportunity to take a break and reset amidst familiar surroundings from all that’s going on at LBS.

LBS provided me with the tools to succeed in the business world, but it also offered so much more. My time at the school allowed me to forge lifelong friendships and create memories that will stick with me forever.

And so, my fellow Londoners, while our experiences at LBS might be different from those of our international classmates, it’s a fantastic experience. A voyage of learning, growth, and unforgettable memories – truly, an experience of a lifetime. After all, isn’t that what studying at LBS is all about?
Director
Director
Send PM
SLOAN INTERVIEW SERIES REAL ESTATE SECTOR [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: SLOAN INTERVIEW SERIES – REAL ESTATE SECTOR
Sloan is an immersive programme that brings together a variety of industries and expertise, from finance to manufacturing, IT to oil/gas, law to agriculture.

We will start an interview series with Sloan alumni coming from different backgrounds whose aim is to share successful pre and post-programme stories as well as to offer direct insights on how London Business School and Sloan supported their career goals. We will explore further thoughts from consulting, finance, IT, real estate and entrepreneurship.

Our first esteemed alum is Suhail Y Tayeb, based in the US, who completed the Sloan programme in 2021. Given his heavy experience and expertise in the real estate sector, he felt that this programme will allow him to expand further his knwoeldge and skillset. Let’s hear more from Suhail himself:

[*]What did you use to do before attending the Sloan program, and what are you doing now?[/*][/list]

I worked as a real estate developer and an educator. I split my time 80-20 in developing impactful projects and imparting that knowledge to aspiring professionals who wanted to achieve the same results.

Post Sloan, my focus has switched to syndicating larger real estate deals to deliver more impact. My commitment to sustainable real estate investing and affordable housing sets me apart.

I have authored two books post the Sloan program that allows me to share my knowledge with real estate professionals worldwide looking to make an impact. The first book, “Profitable and Sustainable Real Estate Investing,” delves into strategies that enable investors to generate substantial returns while making sustainable choices. It provides directions on how to incorporate ESG factors into real estate investments.

My second book, “Accurate Property Valuation,” equips investors remodeling properties with valuable insights they can use to make profitable valuation-based decisions.

• What goals did you have during the program? Are you currently following those goals, or have they changed?

My primary goal was to expand my knowledge and skill set. With no formal education in finance, I recognized the importance of gaining a deeper understanding of this field to enhance my capabilities as a real estate developer and investor.

While I had a strong affinity for my current industry, I remained open-minded during the program, eager to explore new avenues of knowledge and opportunity. Relocating to London for the year was intentional since it allowed me to disconnect and fully immerse myself in the program.

I focused on studying private capital, corporate finance, strategy, and M&A. The high-level, broad insights and skills I learned in acquiring, operating, and divesting assets have proven invaluable in pursuing my goals.

• Why did you choose the real estate industry? What is the most important lesson you have learned in this sector?

My choice to end up in the real estate industry is unusual, considering that I am an electrical/computer engineer by education. I was lucky that the tech company I worked for right out of college went public. My father advised me to purchase real estate with the money I had made. My first investment property was a significant learning experience for me. Facing the consequences of my mistakes, I delved deeper into the complexities of real estate investing, financing, renovating, and valuation, determined to rectify my errors. During this process, I developed an affinity for the industry.

One important lesson I learned is that positive social and environmental impact and profit can coexist harmoniously. Real estate offers a unique opportunity to have enormous control over the asset, make a lasting impact, and generate substantial returns.

• How did the program help you in your career?

The Sloan program helped improve my financial vocabulary, enhancing my ability to articulate my thoughts effectively. The rigorous coursework, engaging discussions, and some client-facing assignments honed my communication skills, enabling me to clearly present my actionable ideas.

The program also facilitated the establishment of a robust network comprising like-minded professionals and industry experts. Connecting with thought leaders and fellow participants allowed me to exchange ideas, gain diverse perspectives, and forge valuable, enriching relationships.

One distinctive aspect of the Sloan program was the opportunity to interact with professors and guest speakers who are active practitioners in the field. This invaluable exposure allowed me to learn from experienced professionals who brought real-world insights into the classroom.

• Do you have any advice for those willing to switch to real estate?

Start by exploring residential and commercial real estate and identify your interests. Learn about valuation, financing, and the legal side of the business. You don’t need to become an expert just yet; just explore if that interests you and consider how you would apply your existing skill sets to any of those areas. While tactics such as value-add, distressed, growth, or ground-up development may interest you initially, remain open to learning more before choosing. Research the companies that align with your interests.

If possible, secure an internship locally or remotely to gain hands-on experience. An internship allows you to set your ego aside, escape the dreaded issue of proving seniority and meaningless job titles and get to learn. Working at any level will provide valuable insights and networking opportunities and, more importantly, help you validate your career choice.

For further information about our Sloan programme click here.
Director
Director
Send PM
MBA Application Preparation: GMAT/GRE [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: MBA Application Preparation: GMAT/GRE
GMAT (or GRE). These could be the simplest set of 3-4 letters that strike fear into some prospective business school candidates. Although it is just one part of our mandatory application process, it is one that candidates do seem to dwell on. In the first of a planned series of blogs from MBA Recruitment and Admissions on application preparation, I’m hoping to ease some of these worries, and provide a little bit of advice on what to consider when preparing for GMAT/GRE.

What is GMAT or GRE?

Both exams are multiple-choice, computed-based standardised exams. They were created in order to provide graduate and business schools with a common way to compare applicants’ capacity for rigorous graduate/business programmes. Either test will have several sections, including but not limited to, verbal reasoning and quantitative reasoning.

Your GMAT/GRE score forms just one part of your application to business school. At London Business School, we review extremely holistically, so your GMAT/GRE score will be considered alongside the other application elements like your previous academics, your work experience so far, your essays, what your referee says about you etc. Think of it a bit like a jigsaw puzzle – no one piece is more important than the others and it’s only when all the pieces are slotted together that you see the full picture!

So why do business schools like LBS ask for a GMAT or GRE score?

We see applicants from all over the globe, with varying educational experiences. As mentioned above, GMAT/GRE is the only standardised element of the application materials we require at LBS. As we recruit extremely diverse classes, not only from a nationality perspective but also from a sector perspective, the GMAT/GRE is a useful indicator of academic capabilities, taking regional and educational differences out of the equation.

GMAT/GRE is also a great indicator of what your verbal and quantitative skills are like now. It can show the Admissions Committee any changes you’ve made since your undergraduate degree – for example, if your undergraduate degree results were not as strong as you hoped, a strong GMAT/GRE score goes some way to counteract this.

What scores do you look for?

Our GMAT average in the MBA class is currently 702. For those looking for a GRE equivalent, a good ballpark figure to aim for is 163 and 164 in both the verbal and quant sections. Our range in the class is anywhere from 600 up to 780.

It’s important to reiterate that GMAT/GRE scores are just one part of the application. A higher score does add weight to a profile, but it doesn’t guarantee admission. Similarly, a low score doesn’t automatically discount you from the process.

Which test is right for me?

My advice here is to take practice tests for both GMAT and GRE. For some candidates, there is just more of a personal fit to one test or the other, so it’s important to explore both options.

At London Business School, for most of our programmes, including the Full-Time MBA, we accept either GMAT or GRE, and we truly mean this! It doesn’t have any impact on your application whether you choose to do GMAT or GRE, we look at them both equally.

You can practice GMAT on our GMAT simulator here. GMAT practice tests are available via mba.com and GRE practice tests available via ets.org.

Any other pieces of advice?

Do take some time to self-reflect when it comes to GMAT/GRE. Consider not only which test is best suited to you, but also reflect on the time it will take to prepare for the tests. For some candidates, standardised tests have been a feature of their educational lives already and so the format of preparing feels familiars. For others, this will be an entirely new thing! It may also require some balancing with your full-time working life. Preparation and practice will be extremely key to achieving a strong GMAT or GRE score!
GMAT Club Bot
MBA Application Preparation: GMAT/GRE [#permalink]
   1  ...  11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22