Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 15:47 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 15:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
What is a GMAT /GRE? and how to request a waiver for the Masters in Fi [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: What is a GMAT /GRE? and how to request a waiver for the Masters in Finance pre-application
What is a GMAT or GRE?

These tests are important tools which allow the Admissions Committee to assess your aptitude for rigorous graduate/business study. Both exams are multiple-choice, computer-based standardised exams, both tests will have multiple sections, including but not limited to, verbal reasoning and quantitative reasoning.

At London Business School, we review applications with a holistic approach so your GMAT/GRE score will be one component considered alongside other application elements, such as your previous academics, your work experience so far, the quality of your essays, your professional reference etc.

Do I have to take the GMAT or GRE test?

The GMAT or GRE is a mandatory requirement of the application process, acting as a supporting document to your online application. However, in some cases the Admissions Committee are able to grant waivers to applicants that can demonstrate previous academic excellence, strong grades with an emphasis in quantitative subjects and outstanding professional finance experience.

How will I know if I am eligible for a waiver?

Applicants that have obtained a CFA II or above will receive an automatic GMAT/GRE waiver. As this waiver is guaranteed, you do not need to contact our Recruitment and Admissions team in advance for this to be granted.

If you do not hold a CFA II or above but would like to be considered for a GMAT/GRE waiver, we encourage you to submit your CV, full academic transcripts and a short supporting statement demonstrating your quantitative skills and experience. In writing this statement you are welcome to include academic and professional qualifications, employment experience or any other relevant information. 

Please email the documents and statement to mif@london.edu before submitting your application.

What scores are Admissions looking for?

Our class scores range anywhere from 600 up to 780. Submitting with a high score (GMAT 670+ or GRE 155 verbal and 165 quantitative) can positively impact your Masters in Finance application, and can offset possible weaknesses in your university grades. However, it’s important to reiterate that GMAT/GRE scores are just one part of the application. A higher score does add weight to a profile, but it doesn’t guarantee admission. Similarly, a low score doesn’t automatically discount you from the process.

Does the Admissions committee have a preference over GMAT or GRE?

We have no preference between GMAT and GRE, it will not have any impact on your application whether you choose to do GMAT or GRE, we look at them both equally.  Our advice here is to take practice tests for both GMAT and GRE to determine which best suits you.

Practice the GMAT test with London Business School’s GMAT simulator .

GMAT practice tests are also available via mba.com and GRE practice tests available via ets.org.

If you have any further questions regarding a GMAT/GRE waiver please email mif@london.edu
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
What is a GMAT /GRE? and how to request a waiver for the Masters in Fi [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: What is a GMAT /GRE? and how to request a waiver for the Masters in Finance pre application
What is a GMAT or GRE?

These tests are important tools which allow the Admissions Committee to assess your aptitude for rigorous graduate/business study. Both exams are multiple-choice, computer-based standardised exams, both tests will have multiple sections, including but not limited to, verbal reasoning and quantitative reasoning.

At London Business School, we review applications with a holistic approach so your GMAT/GRE score will be one component considered alongside other application elements, such as your previous academics, your work experience so far, the quality of your essays, your professional reference etc.

Do I have to take the GMAT or GRE test?

The GMAT or GRE is a mandatory requirement of the application process, acting as a supporting document to your online application. However, in some cases the Admissions Committee are able to grant waivers to applicants that can demonstrate previous academic excellence, strong grades with an emphasis in quantitative subjects and outstanding professional finance experience.

How will I know if I am eligible for a waiver?

Applicants that have obtained a CFA II or above will receive an automatic GMAT/GRE waiver. As this waiver is guaranteed, you do not need to contact our Recruitment and Admissions team in advance for this to be granted.

If you do not hold a CFA II or above but would like to be considered for a GMAT/GRE waiver, we encourage you to submit your CV, full academic transcripts and a short supporting statement demonstrating your quantitative skills and experience. In writing this statement you are welcome to include academic and professional qualifications, employment experience or any other relevant information. 

Please email the documents and statement to mif@london.edu before submitting your application.

What scores are Admissions looking for?

Our class scores range anywhere from 600 up to 780. Submitting with a high score (GMAT 670+ or GRE 155 verbal and 165 quantitative) can positively impact your Masters in Finance application, and can offset possible weaknesses in your university grades. However, it’s important to reiterate that GMAT/GRE scores are just one part of the application. A higher score does add weight to a profile, but it doesn’t guarantee admission. Similarly, a low score doesn’t automatically discount you from the process.

Does the Admissions committee have a preference over GMAT or GRE?

We have no preference between GMAT and GRE, it will not have any impact on your application whether you choose to do GMAT or GRE, we look at them both equally.  Our advice here is to take practice tests for both GMAT and GRE to determine which best suits you.

Practice the GMAT test with London Business School’s GMAT simulator .

GMAT practice tests are also available via mba.com and GRE practice tests available via ets.org.

If you have any further questions regarding a GMAT/GRE waiver please email mif@london.edu
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Director
Director
Send PM
MAM YEAR END REFLECTIONS: A JOURNEY OF GROWTH & FUN WITH 80 AMAZING IN [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: MAM YEAR END REFLECTIONS: A JOURNEY OF GROWTH & FUN WITH 80 AMAZING INDIVIDUALS
As I approach the end of my journey as a student in the Masters in Analytics and Management programme at LBS, I find myself immersed in a whirlwind of emotions. These past months have been a transformative period, rich with challenges, growth, and unforgettable experiences. In this blog post, I aim to summarize my programme experience, share the invaluable takeaways I have gained, and shed light on the exciting next step that awaits me on this incredible journey.

The MAM programme at LBS offered an unparalleled learning experience. The programme’s curriculum was designed to equip us with the necessary skills and knowledge to tackle complex business challenges using analytics. From statistical modelling and machine learning to data visualization and decision-making frameworks. I acquired a comprehensive skill set that is highly sought after in today’s data-driven world. What sets this programme apart is its emphasis on practical application. We were presented with numerous opportunities to work on real-world projects in collaboration with industry partners. Applying analytics techniques to solve these challenges, not only honed our skills but also allowed us to make a meaningful impact. The invaluable experience of working on diverse projects provided me with the confidence to navigate the complexities of the business world. While the academic rigour was undoubtedly intense, it was undeniably worth the effort.

One of the most striking aspects of my program experience was the opportunity to collaborate with 80 brilliant minds from various backgrounds and nationalities. Whether it was working on group projects, engaging in spirited classroom discussions, participating in extracurricular activities, or grabbing a drink at the Sundowners, each interaction brought unique perspectives, enabling us to solve challenges collectively, foster creativity, and harness the strength of diversity.

The camaraderie we developed while burning the midnight oil, solving intricate case studies, and preparing for presentations created lifelong friendships and expanded my global network. LBS truly embodies the spirit of international collaboration, fostering a supportive community where everyone is encouraged to thrive. I am confident that the extensive network of industry professionals, alumni, and faculty members at LBS will pave the way for future collaborations and partnerships. Even though students from other programmes might have this impression, my time at MAM has been about much more than assignments and exams. I have had the privilege to travel to multiple countries, savour diverse cuisines, and engage in a variety of activities throughout the year. One of my best memories is when I was exploring Athens with my professor, delving into its vibrant streets, and indulging in its delicious food scene.

A dear friend from LBS recently posed a thought-provoking question: “Is the journey at LBS truly worth the sacrifices made?” Reflecting on this query, I find myself resolutely convinced that the answer is an unequivocal “yes.” When I consider the person I am today compared to the individual I was merely a year ago, the transformative power of my experience at LBS becomes abundantly clear.

The most invaluable treasure I have garnered, which transcends monetary value, lies in the extensive network I have cultivated throughout my journey — spanning across continents, connecting individuals from Taiwan to California, and encompassing a diverse spectrum of professionals ranging from incoming analysts to esteemed managing partners, from visionary entrepreneurs to globally renowned corporate leaders.

While the end of this programme marks the end of one chapter, it also opens the door to a world brimming with possibilities. I am excited to embark on the next step of my journey, armed with the confidence, knowledge, and passion that the MAM programme and its Class of 2023 have ignited within me. I am eagerly looking forward to tapping into the extensive network I have built, allowing me to embark on exhilarating journeys around the globe and indulge in diverse cultures and culinary delights.

Written by Nithish Kumar Akula MAM 2023

Director
Director
Send PM
MFA End of the Year Reflections at London Business School [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: MFA End of the Year Reflections at London Business School
As an economics undergraduate, my main goal when coming to LBS was to expand my horizons and step out of my comfort zone. I aimed to broaden my knowledge and skill set, ensuring I would be well-prepared to tackle any future challenges that might come my way as a strategy consultant. To achieve this, I intentionally pursued a diverse range of courses, opting against specializing in a particular field. This approach allowed me to explore various subjects, including business analytics, private equity, asset management, and M&A.

Now, as I reach the end of my Masters in Financial Analysis programme, I find myself reflecting on the profound impact it has had on both my personal and professional growth. This journey at LBS has gone far beyond obtaining a Master’s degree; it has been a transformative experience. Looking back, these are the main things I learned while on the programme, which I will carry with me to McKinsey.

Trust yourself and seize opportunities

From day one, I was amazed by the incredible experience of studying alongside a diverse and international cohort. The opportunity to engage with classmates who effortlessly conversed in multiple languages shared fascinating stories of their global experiences, and showcased their outstanding achievements as elite sports champions left me in awe. If you’re feeling a twinge of imposter syndrome, and questioning whether you belong among this extraordinary group, let me assure you: LBS has chosen you for a reason! Each of us worked thoroughly to secure our place here, and we all bring unique perspectives and experiences that contribute to the richness of this learning environment..

Embrace authenticity while embracing change

Bring your authentic self to LBS. Be honest and genuine, but also open and flexible. The beauty of the LBS cohort is diversity, and I’ve learned so much and experienced many of my classmates evolving as professionals and human beings.  This experience has helped me create meaningful connections with my colleagues, adjusting my working style based on geography, and better communicating internally and externally.

Join clubs to connect, network, and thrive

Clubsare the best place to meet like-minded people, share your passions, network, and have fun. Whether it’s a sport, professional or hobby-related club, LBS has one (or many!) that will suit you.

Prioritize passions and carve out time for them

What have you always complained your job was preventing you from doing? Was it reading, politics, sports, studying a new topic, or dedicating time to your friends? You will find time for it and explore new passions. My biggest lesson is if you’ve found something that brings you true joy, do not let your work or anything keep you away from it. Find the time, set priorities, and take care of yourself and the life you want to live.

Explore and build your path

We often start our masters with a bold idea of our path: job x, company y, city z. LBS allows us to be noticed by our dream companies, which is excellent. But it also gives a more challenging opportunity, to explore different careers, learn about new industries and discover new paths. Talk to classmates and alumni, take a part-time internship, and take a class on a topic that is new to you.

Find your tribe

In a cohort of 200+ people, it’s great to meet them all, but even better to find “your tribe”, the type of people that will energize you. I’ve found mine and am so grateful for them. They are my family in the U.K., with whom I can count on for anything, and I’m so excited to share my post-LBS life with them.

You get what you give: active engagement fuels growth

As with everything in life, your experience is shaped by what you give. You will benefit the LBS community if you make yourself part of it by organizing a student-led event, join a club, go to conferences, speaker sessions or sundowners. You will get your dream job if you work hard and attend the many cv workshops, networking events and interview prep sessions. You will make true friends if you are a true friend – be there for the ones you love, make time for them.

Avoid comparisons and embrace challenges

Recruiting can be tricky. Being away from family is challenging. The graduate schedule can be overwhelming, these things are all true. In these situations, the best thing to do is accept all journeys have ups and downs and the only thing within our control is doing our best. When facing a challenging and unexpected situation, avoid comparing yourself to others. Each of us has our own path; if you work hard, things will work out for you.

London – a city of endless wonders

Enjoy the city. A walk-in Regents Park, a picnic on Primrose Hill, cycling in Hyde Park, the markets, neighbourhoods, museums and musicals. We are so blessed to study here. Please take advantage of it!

Time flies: treasure each moment, choose what matters

You can’t avoid the “time flies” cliché. It does. This year went by so fast. Find your crowd and shape your path. Be yourself, and evolve as a human being, leader and professional. Enjoy London and work hard for your dream job, but be flexible to change some variables. Read a book, join a club, and take classes on topics you love. Travel somewhere you’ve always dreamt of. Cross items out of your bucket list and add new ones. But time is also limited. Do not try everything at once. Take time off if needed, set up your non-negotiables and discover what or who makes you happy, and make time for what is essential.

I hope this advice proves to be valuable to you. You might not understand all of it now, but you probably will soon. I have met amazing people and reconsidered my priorities. LBS has changed my life for good and I hope it changes yours too.

Written by Joao Miguel Rodrigues Pereira MFA 2023
Director
Director
Send PM
The LondonLAB Experience [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: The LondonLAB Experience
Greetings everyone! In this article, we, Tobias Delago and Niklas Gaertner, aim to provide a concise overview of our LondonLAB experience, which has been a highlight of our time at LBS. We will begin by introducing the LondonLAB course and then delve into our client organization, the project we undertook, and the key insights we gained.  Keep reading until the end for our suggestions on how to select suitable projects and make the most of this fantastic opportunity.

Both of us studied in the Masters in Analytics & Management (MAM) programme at LBS and recently graduated in the summer of 2023. One key element that sets the MAM apart from comparable programmes at other business schools is the “LondonLAB” course taking place in the last 10 weeks of the third term. While other Masters programmes culminate in a traditional Masters Thesis, LondonLAB focuses on acquiring real-world exposure and building one’s network in London’s vibrant business ecosystem.

The course is organized as follows: Each year, LBS collaborates with a selected group of seven companies, either headquartered in London or with a local presence in the city. All of these companies sponsor a project based on a real-world challenge they are currently facing. Students then have the chance to rank the companies in order of preference and are subsequently allocated to one of their top-three choices by an algorithm. Within ten weeks, the project team comprised of six students must devise a solution to the client’s challenge and present said solution in a final presentation.

While both the MAM and Masters in Management (MiM) programmes at LBS incorporate LondonLAB into their curricula, MAM projects specifically require a significant analytical component that usually involves finding insights from a real-world dataset.

To make this abstract description more tangible, we will quickly walk you through our project lifecycle.

We both worked for a large luxury retailer trying to increase revenue by improving their understanding of the customer purchase process. They gave us a large dataset (>20 GB) that contained all customer transactions from the past three years. This dataset demonstrates our client’s trust in LBS and our project team as this information is highly proprietary. The fact that the dataset was all the information we had received from the client is a key differentiator of LondonLAB compared to any other university course: We had to organize everything else on our own. In classic university projects, the objectives are delimited by faculty and the processes to get there are clearly defined. In contrast, LondonLAB is like an actual consulting project: Each group must independently organize client meetings and workshops, develop their own approach to address the problem statement, and tackle all complications arising along the way.

In our case, we first had to overcome the challenge of rendering our vast dataset readily accessible for further use. Since 20 GB exceeds most RAM capacities, we had to come up with new approaches that enabled us to work on the dataset without loading it into memory. In our case, we used Apache Arrow, a state-of-the-art software used for big data analyses.

This is a perfect example of what we encountered throughout our LondonLAB project, i.e., entirely new challenges that arise in real business contexts: Datasets from our LBS courses never exceeded 3GB, so we never practiced using frameworks such as Apache Arrow before.

After solving this challenge, we started to dive deep into the dataset, conducting an extensive exploratory data analysis (EDA) in PowerBI, R, and Python. We then researched and applied a wide range of data mining techniques to identify relationships between products sold by our client. While we can’t disclose our exact results, we found exciting and surprising associations between product categories for various customer personas. Having also made a business case for the identified patterns, the client can utilize our results to inform and execute targeted advertising campaigns. More than ten client employees, including senior management, attended our consulting-style final presentation, underlining the value attributed to the collaboration with our team and LBS as a whole.

To conclude this blog post, we would like to share our three key takeaways from this experience.

Number one: Achieving high client satisfaction.

The main goal is to find interesting and useful insights; however, how one communicates these insights to the client turned out to be almost equally important.

This ranges from using the client’s corporate identity colours in your slides to details such as adopting the client’s wording. For example, our client always described their marketing approach as “targeted CRM advertising”. However, in one of our first client workshops, we called their approach “marketing”, which led to some confusion.

Number two: Integration of proposed solutions.

Whenever feasible, utilize the client’s choice of visualization tools, coding languages and even coding style. Companies appreciate solutions that seamlessly fit their existing workflows.

Number three: project selection and team collaboration

The most successful groups shared two common traits: a strong team leader, ideally with prior consulting experience, and the team’s unwavering motivation throughout the ten-week duration to deliver a benchmark final presentation to the client. For us, the motivational aspect was never an issue since all team members selected a company they were genuinely interested in, either because they didn’t know anything about the subject matter and were eager to learn something new or because the topic aligned well with their career aspirations (yes, some students were able to leverage the direct client contacts to secure job positions).

In summary, it was an invaluable experience managing such a complex project. Everything about this project was demanding: The dataset was massive, the project scope was wide and left a lot of room for interpretation, and we only had ten weeks to execute it. LondonLAB gave us the necessary capabilities to effectively tackle such challenges and deliver outstanding solutions, making it an ideal preparation for our professional endeavours after graduation

Written by Tobias Delago and Niklas Gaertner MAM 2023

Admit Expert Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: LBS MBA Admissions & Related Blogs [#permalink]
Expert Reply
London Business School MBA Essay 2023 – Tips and Analysis

If you’re thinking about getting an MBA in the UK, you may have heard of London Business School (LBS). London Business School, located in one of the world’s most significant business capitals, offers a completely unique MBA experience. With the option to complete the program in just 15 months and a student body comprised of more than 60 different nationalities, London Business School is a top choice for many internationally-minded individuals.

London Business School has formally confirmed the essay prompts for the 2022-2023 admissions season. If you are interested in an MBA program with a worldwide community and access to a major metropolis, London Business School may be an excellent choice. Getting into such a highly competitive MBA program requires you to ace every component of your application, particularly the essay section.

Here are the 2022-2023 essays for London Business School and how to answer them..London Business School MBA Essay 2023 – Tips and Analysis

This post was first published on the Admit Expert Blog
Director
Director
Send PM
Reflecting on the 2-year MBA experience at LBS 10 takeaways [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Reflecting on the 2-year MBA experience at LBS – 10 takeaways
By Veronika Kuchinskiy, MBA2023

It feels just like yesterday that I entered through the doors of Lecture Theatre 1 at London Business School for my very first lecture back in August 2021. Yet here I am 2 years later having finished the programme and ready for the next chapter in my life. Before I say farewell to the institution that has allowed me to grow enormously over the last couple of years, I wanted to write a reflection blog that might be helpful to students embarking on the MBA journey at LBS in the future. Here are my 10 takeaways that worked very well for me:

[*]Don’t take on more than 2 leadership club roles – LBS has many clubs to offer and it can be easy to be tempted to take on quite a few roles. However, if the aim is to have a balanced MBA experience, it would be advisable to focus on 1 or 2 clubs per academic year. Choose a club and role that you are passionate about, where you like the team and see yourself being motivated to put in a lot of work. By doing only one leadership role, you can focus more on enhancing your leadership skills and experiment with them. When leading several clubs, it is easy to spread yourself thin and constantly be “putting out fires” instead of doing strategic work.

[/*][*]Take a language course – From the second term in the first year, students can choose among a variety of languages to start learning. Levels range from beginner to more advanced, and a prior language assessment is available if you are unsure of what level suits you best. I am a native Russian and German speaker and I am fluent in English, and a beginner in French, so I wanted to experiment and try out a new language. I chose Japanese for beginners and really enjoyed my experience. The course was over Zoom at the time, but the fantastic teacher and small group made the learning experience tremendous. I enjoyed the weekly lessons as learning a language not only engaged a different part of your brain, but also teaches you about a different culture. I can confidently say that learning Japanese has expanded my global mindset at LBS.

[/*][*]Invest in relationships – The MBA cohort consists of around 500 people and you start in a stream of around 80-90 people. Personally, I found for building long-lasting relationships, it was more helpful to meet in smaller gatherings rather than at large MBA social events. Both types of gatherings are great, but the former enabled me to get to know people better to avoid creating transactional relationships. Also, by immersing myself in the various initiatives the LBS MBA programme has to offer and through working in many different groups I got to know more people on a higher level. It is important to carve out time and think about the kind of relationships you want to build with your fellow classmates.

[/*][*]Attend Treks – At LBS there are career and social treks. Aside from expanding your horizon to countries, industries and topics, you effectively get an intensive relationship-building course with your fellow travellers. This brings me back to my previous point of the importance of building relationships and treks are a fantastic way to do so.

[/*][*]Do a GE – Recently the Global Experience (GE) became a voluntary part of the programme. I went to Abu Dhabi and Dubai for my GE and found the experience tremendously helpful as well as fun. Although I have been to the region many times before, the GE allowed me to look at the region through a different lens. I learnt a lot about working and living in the region and enjoyed meeting students from different programmes such as EMBA and Sloan.

[/*][*]Maximise your elective allowance – I maxed out all my elective credits and still didn’t take all the elective courses I wanted. LBS has so many great academic courses to offer that I found it hard to choose. Some students prefer to take the minimum credits, but being at LBS is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Why not take the opportunity to further expand my knowledge on a variety of topics, especially as we have already committed the time and resources to the MBA.

[/*][*]Do an international exchange – Having lived in the UK for 16 years prior to the MBA, I was excited to be able to go on an exchange to NYU Stern during my second year. This has been one of the highlights of my MBA as I was immersed into New York City life. I would encourage students to broaden their horizons as much as possible during the MBA and the exchange is one way to do it. During the exchange, I built long-lasting relationships not only with fellow LBS students who went on exchange with me, but also with MBA students from other global universities. The exchange gave me a unique opportunity to expand my network in a meaningful way – practically like a long trek!

[/*][*]Don’t just focus on getting a summer internship – From the first week of the MBA, there is an unnecessary race to get a summer internship offer. However, I found this stress unnecessary and unhelpful. There are many ways to structure your MBA and a summer internship might not work for everyone. For example, you could choose to do one or several term-time part-time jobs or even a full-time temporary role if you structure your elective choices this way. Another option in the summer is to join the LBS Entrepreneurship Summer School on campus. The main goal is to experiment as much as possible with different companies and roles during the MBA as this increases your chances of finding the right post-MBA career for you.[/*][/list]

9. Apply to the Leadership Incubator – When you are President or Treasurer of a student club in the second year, you have the possibility to apply for a place on the Leadership Incubator. I was fortunate to be selected for the programme and it became one of my highlights during the second year. It is a highly practical programme to experiment with leadership skills. Aside from our bi-weekly sessions, I was also able to work with a leadership coach as part of a fantastic group and 1-1. Attending the Incubator alongside leadership elective classes and leading student clubs really integrated my leadership learning.

10. Nurture your life outside of the MBA – The MBA programme is very demanding, and it is easy to devote all your time to various aspects of the programme. It is important to find a balance between focusing on the MBA and life outside of it. As I lived in London for many years prior to the MBA, I made a constant effort to see my friends outside of LBS. Also, having to look after my two young children naturally took up a lot of my time. Don’t forget about nurturing the relationships with your family and friends outside of the MBA.

These were my main takeaways but remember that everyone’s MBA experience is unique and what might have worked for me, might not work for you. If you take one thing away from my post, it is that you should build your own MBA experience, and not just copy what other students are doing. The more you personalise your time and focus on your goals and priorities, the happier you will be at the end of the two years.

Good luck on this very exciting journey ahead of you and see you on the other side as an LBS alumni!

Director
Director
Send PM
Why I chose London Business School: Women at LBS [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Why I chose London Business School: Women at LBS
By Adesola Ajayi (MBA2024)

I chose LBS for a number of reasons. First, I was drawn to LBS’s diversity. With over 60 nationalities represented and over 90% of the class coming from outside the UK, I was eager to immerse myself in a truly international community. The prospect of learning from and connecting with classmates from diverse backgrounds and professional experiences was appealing, as I knew it would provide me with a unique and enriching learning experience.

Another big attraction for me was the location in London. Being in one of the financial centres of the world, I was keen to leverage LBS’ strategic location to gain practical experience across various sectors. The buzzing business hub of Europe offered limitless opportunities, and with a background in consumer goods and emerging markets, I’ve had the opportunity to explore different industries, from start-ups in the Food Tech sector to consulting.

Additionally, I wanted time to reflect on my career journey so far, reassess my interests, and chart a path for my mid to long-term career goals. LBS’ flexible curriculum presented the perfect opportunity for this introspection. As I interacted with current students and alumni, I felt genuine warmth and support within the LBS community, reinforcing my belief that it was the ideal place for me to embark on this transformative journey.

As an Engineer, with a background in consumer goods at P&G and extensive business experience across sub-Saharan Africa, I recognised the unique perspective and value I could bring to the LBS community. I was thrilled by the prospect of contributing fresh insights and valuable perspectives to classroom discussions, while also enriching the cultural diversity of the class as a black woman.

One of my most memorable experiences at LBS thus far has been involvement in the Women in Business (WIB) Club’s executive committee. Serving as a WIB EQUALL Conference Speakers Lead, I was a part of the planning committee of our flagship WIB EQUALL Conference. I had the opportunity to engage with inspiring female leaders across different sectors, and I was honoured to speak at the Conference, where I moderated the “Sharing the Load: The Modern Household” panel. It was so inspiring to hear from the speakers, as they unravelled the art of balancing parenting and building successful careers.

I’ve been most excited about meeting people from diverse backgrounds, forging lifelong friendships, creating unforgettable memories by exploring never-before-visited cities with classmates as part of the international treks and Global Experience program, and broadening my business perspectives by exploring new sectors!
Director
Director
Send PM
Why I chose London Business School: Women at LBS Adesola Ajayi (MBA202 [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Why I chose London Business School: Women at LBS – Adesola Ajayi (MBA2024)
By Adesola Ajayi (MBA2024)

I chose LBS for a number of reasons. First, I was drawn to LBS’s diversity. With over 60 nationalities represented and over 90% of the class coming from outside the UK, I was eager to immerse myself in a truly international community. The prospect of learning from and connecting with classmates from diverse backgrounds and professional experiences was appealing, as I knew it would provide me with a unique and enriching learning experience.

Another big attraction for me was the location in London. Being in one of the financial centres of the world, I was keen to leverage LBS’ strategic location to gain practical experience across various sectors. The buzzing business hub of Europe offered limitless opportunities, and with a background in consumer goods and emerging markets, I’ve had the opportunity to explore different industries, from start-ups in the Food Tech sector to consulting.

Additionally, I wanted time to reflect on my career journey so far, reassess my interests, and chart a path for my mid to long-term career goals. LBS’ flexible curriculum presented the perfect opportunity for this introspection. As I interacted with current students and alumni, I felt genuine warmth and support within the LBS community, reinforcing my belief that it was the ideal place for me to embark on this transformative journey.

As an Engineer, with a background in consumer goods at P&G and extensive business experience across sub-Saharan Africa, I recognised the unique perspective and value I could bring to the LBS community. I was thrilled by the prospect of contributing fresh insights and valuable perspectives to classroom discussions, while also enriching the cultural diversity of the class as a black woman.

One of my most memorable experiences at LBS thus far has been involvement in the Women in Business (WIB) Club’s executive committee. Serving as a WIB EQUALL Conference Speakers Lead, I was a part of the planning committee of our flagship WIB EQUALL Conference. I had the opportunity to engage with inspiring female leaders across different sectors, and I was honoured to speak at the Conference, where I moderated the “Sharing the Load: The Modern Household” panel. It was so inspiring to hear from the speakers, as they unravelled the art of balancing parenting and building successful careers.

I’ve been most excited about meeting people from diverse backgrounds, forging lifelong friendships, creating unforgettable memories by exploring never-before-visited cities with classmates as part of the international treks and Global Experience program, and broadening my business perspectives by exploring new sectors!
Director
Director
Send PM
Why I chose London Business School & my MBA journey: Women at LBS [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Why I chose London Business School & my MBA journey: Women at LBS
By Noy Heifetz Kaplinsky (MBA2024)

The choice to attend LBS was one of the best decisions I had taken. On top of moving forward with my international aspirations and adding tools to my leadership toolkit, I was looking to interact and connect with diverse people from different cultures. I had lived in numerous places around the globe (including London in the past) and learned first-hand how differences in culture provide better perspectives and boosts creativity. LBS offers the exact unique setting I was looking for and like no other business school. Engaging with classmates from all over the world has broadened my perspective and equipped me with a global mindset, an invaluable asset in today’s interconnected business landscape.

Although the move to a new country is very exciting, it is also accompanied by a sense of uncertainty. In my case, it was even more challenging as I had made a transatlantic move as a mum with 2 toddlers. I had bulks of concerns and uncertainties and was stressed about how I would be able to navigate the demanding MBAprogramme in terms of socializing, academics and making progress with my career, all while managing my duties as a mum of two. However, right from the beginning, I realised how one-of-a-kind my experience is, and how my unique perspective can contribute to a more comprehensive understanding of global business dynamics. I also learned that each student goes through their own personal and distinct journey. This is one of the most beautiful things that LBS allows to each and every student – the ability to tailor their own experience, both personally and academically.

Now that my first year has ended, I can say with most confidence that my LBS journey has been transformative and empowering, and that the global business perspective it has given me was above my expectations. Above all, my time at LBS has reaffirmed my conviction that mothers possess the ability to make a profound impact on the world and overcome any barrier!
Director
Director
Send PM
SLOAN INTERVIEW SERIES: FINTECH SECTOR [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: SLOAN INTERVIEW SERIES: FINTECH SECTOR
Welcome back to the Sloan interview series. Our next distinguished alum is Leonard Della-Moretta, a Sloan 2021 graduate based in the UK. He has shared his story on his experience, from serving as an Officer in the American Army, to a career within the Fintech Sector, and how the Sloan programme has helped him along the way…

What role were you in before the Sloan programme, and what are you doing now?

My background is quite varied.  I have served as an Officer in the American Army, as a non-profit fellow working in microfinance, and as a service designer and consultant. 

Immediately before starting the Sloan, I was a consultant for seven years based in London. I spent about half of my time working in the EU and the other half working in LATAM.  My clients were primarily in financial services or large multinational trans-governmental organizations, and I was leading transformation engagements.  I spent of most of my days in meetings, workshops, building decks and presenting.  I lost a lot of hair and saved a lot of air miles during these years. 

I am now the Chief Operating Officer for StepEx, the world’s first regulate provider of Future Earnings Agreements (FEAs) , also known as Income Share Agreements, and we enable educational institutions to leverage their own balance sheets to expand access to their courses and remove the cost barrier to a life-changing education.  I also refer to myself as the “Chief Everything Else Officer” as I handle everything that isn’t sales or coding.

My days are incredibly varied today.  One day I am focused on building out a product roadmap to support customers, the next I am doing the accounting and analyzing our cash flow, and then I am building marketing collateral.  All the while, I lead and manage an operations team that is originating and servicing FEAs.  The days are long but exciting and incredibly varied and rewarding.

What were your goals for the programme? Did you meet those goals after completion of the Sloan programme?

I had three goals for the Sloan programme:

1.       Learn about how to leverage technology to transform how business is done

2.     “Brush up” on my business fundamentals (Accounting, Finance, Marketing, etc)

3.       Be academically challenged

I achieved everything that I wanted to in the program.  The technology-focused classes were great, from FINTECH to Product management.  One of the professors, Farhan Lalji, was a board member at StepEx while I was taking his class.

The professors were incredible.  We had incredibly rich debates on subject matters that were as diverse as our class was. From Andrew Scott to Jessica Spungin, their styles were engaging and unique.

And I use the coursework daily.  Whether it is calculating an APR for a borrower, analysing our performance in our accounts, or prioritising our technology backlog, I am using what I learned.

What interests you the most about the finance industry?

I was not actually drawn to the finance industry.  Having spent so much time working in it before, I wanted to do something different. I was more interested in having a purpose-aligned career, a position where I had more influence over the business and spending more time with my family. 

What drew me to a startup like StepEx was that its mission is aligned with my values (helping people achieve their potential, investing in education, making the world a better place,)

How did the programme help you develop your skills in this industry?

Sloan gave me technical skills, but more importantly, it gave me the confidence to take on such a new and varied role.  Before the Sloan, my default mindset was, “You want me to do what?”  I was always a risk taker but didn’t have full control of my destiny, partially due to a lack of confidence to take on tasks without being an expert at them.

Now my mindset is, “What are we going to do to push forward.”  I am driving the team towards growth, building our platform, and picking up new tasks so that the team can focus on what really matters, our customers and borrowers.

What advice would you give to students who are preparing an application?

There is never a perfect time to apply.  There are always reasons to push it off till next year.  Ignore them.  Take on the Sloan and tailor your experience to support you in your journey. 

I would also recommend sleeping.  You won’t get much on the Sloan.  There is too much work to do and too many new friendships to make. For further information about our Sloan programme click here.
Director
Director
Send PM
Reflections from my first year on the MBA programme [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Reflections from my first year on the MBA programme
By Azmeen Merchant (MBA2024)

Somehow, as I write this, I find it extremely hard to believe that I’m already one year into my MBA.

It feels like yesterday that we were at orientation, looking around the room with nervous excitement and great anticipation for what was (unbeknownst to us at the time) going to be one of our most transformational years. What a journey it has been! From learning both inside and outside the classroom, experiencing tremendous professional growth, overcoming obstacles to achieve personal development, and building lifelong friendships. The first year of my LBS MBA has been nothing short of incredible.

It would be impossible for me to highlight everything I have learnt and experienced across the first year. But some standout moments are as follows:

[*]Organising a pre-MBA trip to Brighton: Before the MBA started, I led a group of 260 just-landed-in-London MBAs to Brighton. I still have people come up to me and tell me that they made some of their best friends in the MBA on this trip, so this remains one of the highlights of my MBA!

[/*]

[*]Leading an Impact Consulting project: During the first term, I led a team of LBS students across different programmes, to undertake an Impact Consulting project for a startup in Kenya, which early on helped me solidify my interest in the impact space.

[/*]

[*]Learning how to ski at the LBS Snow Trek: During an incredible week in Val Thorens, France, I learned how to ski. And I will be going back!!

[/*]

[*]Taking The Science of People in Organisations: Quite possibly my absolute favourite class at LBS so far, taught by the brilliant Ena Inesi.

[/*]

[*]Getting my dream internship: One of my greatest career aspirations has been to drive investment into emerging markets. LBS offered me the opportunity to turn this into a reality, and I’m super excited to be interning this summer with the UK’s Development Finance Institution, British International Investment.

[/*]

[*]All the travels: I can’t pick just one, but as a Foodie Club ExCo member, I can’t help but commend the incredible culinary journey the MBA promises. From eating pintxos in San Sebastian to arancini in Sicily, from smoked salmon in Norway to incredible spreads with all the mezze in Jordan and Lebanon, not to mention the culinary scene in London…I’ve been truly blessed.

[/*]

[*]Building incredible friendships with people from all over the world: This is truly priceless, and if you ask me, the best part about the MBA.[/*]
[/list]

Before I started the MBA, my interviewer shared with me her 10 tips for an MBA, which was hugely invaluable to me. While many of the learnings in an MBA need to be experienced, as I reflect on my first year, I’d like to share my 5 (+1) tips for a great first year:

[*]Follow your own path: You will be told that you should apply to consulting and banking; that you should be case prepping in July; that you should have 10,000 coffee chats; that you should be in at least 3 ExCos. The FOMO gets real. While all of that may be exactly what YOU want to do, don’t do it because everyone else is doing it. Take the time and space early on in your MBA to understand what you want to achieve from the MBA and what you want your career to look like, and it will help you tremendously. No one else will do this for you.

[/*]

[*]Say yes and get involved, but mindfully, and prioritise and re-prioritise ruthlessly: Being involved and leaning in the MBA does pay back, but there is a true opportunity cost of your time. There are endless opportunities at LBS – on any given night, there will be multiple social, professional, sports, or other events to attend, and unfortunately, you just can’t do all of them! Be extremely mindful about how your chosen activities contribute to your overall personal or professional goals.

[/*]

[*]Try new things without fear: The MBA is a unique and special opportunity to try and test new things in a safe space. And with all the student clubs on campus, you will have your pick! From stand-up comedy and improv classes, to salsa dancing, to cycling from London to Paris, to touch rugby and football, to sailing trips, to song and dance performances at Tattoo – there is something for everyone.

[/*]
[/list]

4. If you are looking to pivot, build your brand and network by participating in a related activity or class. And then do it again: LBS offers you the opportunity to rebrand yourself in any way you choose, and offers unlimited resources to do so. If you’re interested in CleanTech, participate in the CleanTech challenge, go on the Sustainability or Impact Investing treks, and get involved with the Energy and Environment or Social Impact clubs. If you’re looking to switch to Tech, join the Tech and Media Club ExCo, participate in Product Games, and get involved in the rich entrepreneurial community at LBS. Focusing on related activities will help you learn, build your resume, and provide a signal to employers, which will ultimately help you get that dream internship or job.

5. Travel, travel, travel: When you apply to LBS, you are told that LBS is extremely international. What you are not told is how many potential local tour guides and hosts you might have access to in the form of your classmates, and how their local perspective will benefit your international aspirations. Go on the big treks and on the small group trips – these will not just be some of the best memories you will take from the MBA, but also some of the best learning experiences.

6. Most importantly, HAVE FUN: I cannot stress enough how quickly time will fly, and how stressful some parts of the MBA can be (read: recruiting). If you’re having fun, the most stressful parts won’t seem that bad, and the highlights will offer you some unforgettable experiences.

The MBA at LBS offers an incredible personal and professional journey. Make it your own, and make it everything you want.
Director
Director
Send PM
The choice between the Masters in Finance vs the MBA [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: The choice between the Masters in Finance vs the MBA

It’s that time of year again, applications for our Masters in Finance (MiF) programmes are now open and although we have an abundance of keen applicants ready to submit in those early rounds, many of you will still be pondering why the MiF? why LBS? and why now?

An even more common question you might be asking yourself is; MiF or MBA?

If you are still in the decision making process between the MiF and MBA, two highly reputable programmes, I encourage you to read the blog below written by one of our esteemed MiF full-time students, who has touched on some of the key factors she considered when choosing the programme.

Career path

From my perspective, one of the most important factors in my decision to choose the MiF was the career path. The MiF is a specialist, technical Masters that can be customised for your personal career development plan, while the MBA is a relatively generalist program that equips students with broader aspects of the business world. I have been interested in finance since my undergraduate studies. Further evidence of my interest in the financial market is witnessed by my studies in the CFA curriculum, and I passed level II before returning to campus.

In addition, I would like to accelerate my career and explore international opportunities within the finance industry. Therefore, the MiF is a suitable choice for me to build on existing knowledge and sharpen my skillsets.

Duration of the programme

In terms of the duration, MiF students can choose either 10 or 16 months to complete their studies. This mechanism truly offers optionality to MiF students who apply for summer internships or fourth-term global exchange. On the other hand, a faster track towards graduation is helpful to those with financial burdens or those who aim for direct hiring positions rather than structured programmes.

Learning experience

Both the MiF and MBA are exceptional platforms for professionals to further enhance their skills and build an international and diverse network. The lessons are immersive and practical, and some courses are even directly correlated with future daily work. Besides, learning with talents from various functional areas within finance makes the MiF more unique. For instance, it was amazing that my classmates working in banking and government institutions shared their own views on inflation and the economy in macroeconomics lecture. I would recommend for candidates to review the curriculum (core courses & electives), concentration and exchange opportunities of these two programmes before applying to understand which one is more suitable for them. Overall, I believe that my journey at LBS will equip me with the necessary skills I need to thrive in the next stages of my career.

By Eva Huang (Masters in Finance Full-time 2023)
Director
Director
Send PM
Unveiling Triumph: Johannas Journey on the Masters in Analytics and Ma [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Unveiling Triumph: Johanna’s Journey on the Masters in Analytics and Management Programme

The Masters in Analytics and Management programme stands out among the rest by nurturing a diverse skill set in its students. The core strength lies in the intersection between data science and business acumen, creating a powerful combination that prepares graduates for leadership roles. One standout feature of MAM students is their ability to excel in technical areas like data analysis while also demonstrating an aptitude for management and effective communication.

Building a Global Network of Diverse Perspectives

Johanna Jeffrey, a 2021 MAMalumnus, attributes her professional success at Plural, a prominent data-driven company, to her time at London Business School. In her role, she handles various internal data analysis tasks, such as market modelling and retention analysis. The skills acquired during the MAM programme have proven invaluable, allowing her to set up effective data analyses and glean valuable insights from the data at hand.

Another pivotal aspect of the MAM experience for Johanna was the opportunity to build a robust global network. Interacting with fellow classmates from diverse backgrounds broadened her view of the business environment. The collaborative environment at LBS fostered the exchange of experiences and ideas, enriching her learning journey.

Guidance from Career Centre: Mapping the Path to Success

One of the major highlights of the MAM programme is the support provided by the Career Centre. Whether students are looking for guidance in their career path or seeking advancement opportunities, the Career Centre is there to help. Johanna shares how the Career Centre played a significant role in helping her achieve her desired position at Plural, making her journey both enjoyable and challenging, personally and professionally.

The MAM Curriculum: A Comprehensive Skill Set

The MAM programme’s core course section covers a wide range of business toolkits, providing students with a well-rounded business acumen. Subjects such as accounting, finance, and management science are seamlessly integrated with technical abilities, including coding with R and Python. This combination allows students to tackle complex business problems with data-driven solutions effectively.

Real-World Impact: Experiential Learning and Global Projects

Further enhancing the learning experience, MAM students get the opportunity to engage in experiential learning through data science projects for real-life clients. This hands-on experience equips students with the skills needed to make a tangible impact in the business world. Additionally, the MAM programme offers students the chance to undertake global experiences at various locations worldwide, solving real challenges for specific clients, further honing their problem-solving and adaptability skills.

In conclusion, London Business School’s MAM programme stands as a unique and compelling choice for data scientists, analysts, and business professionals with a technical inclination. By combining technical ability with management and communication skills, the programme creates well-rounded graduates poised to become future leaders.

The success story of Johanna Jeffrey and the transformative MAM curriculum speak volumes about the programme’s effectiveness in preparing students for successful and fulfilling careers in the data-driven world. So, if you’re looking to propel your career to new heights, the MAM programme at LBS might just be the perfect stepping stone for you.

For more information about the MAM programme, contact mam@london.edu. We’d love to hear from you!

Written by Johanna Jeffrey’s, MAM 2021
Director
Director
Send PM
Leading the Wellbeing Club: A Journey of Impact and Growth at LBS! [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Leading the Wellbeing Club: A Journey of Impact and Growth at LBS!

By Alina Ursachi (MBA2024)

Finding Balance in the Midst of the MBA Rush

Imagine starting your MBA journey, buzzing with big dreams, countless classes, and the intricate puzzle of charting your career for the next ten years. It’s like a whirlwind, right? That’s exactly how my first term felt. Fuelled by the urge to challenge myself, I eagerly embraced new opportunities, often thinking, “Why not?”, but reality soon kicked in, reminding me that there are only so many hours in a day (unfortunately, still a mere 24 hours). My energy started to waver, and as someone who values quiet moments, I found myself swept up in the rush. And guess what? I wasn’t alone. I observed my fellow classmates coping in various ways such as skipping events or some wrestling with anxiety. But here’s the thing – we never really talked about it. The terms “wellbeing” and “mental health” seemed out of place in the context of a business school.

Beyond the regular path: Unveiling a Journey of Self-Discovery

My time at LBS went beyond exams and job offers. It transformed into a journey of self-discovery and personal growth. Late-night conversations with friends sparked profound questions: Can we build a thriving career while nurturing our personal lives? What defines a sustainable life? How can introverts flourish in this dynamic and sometimes overwhelming environment? And most importantly, when should stress be seen as an alarming symptom? These questions set me on a mission to explore wellbeing in its entirety.

Laying the Cornerstone: Uniting a Diverse ExCo

Armed with these questions, I took the helm of the Wellbeing Club. Just like any significant project, it all began with a strong foundation. I assembled a diverse Executive Committee (ExCo) encompassing varied backgrounds and perspectives. We engaged in open conversations about stress, the fear of missing out, and the delicate art of work-life balance. This ExCo transcended being a mere team; they shared my aspirations and held a firm belief in our mission.

A Blend of Activities: Empowering Holistic Wellbeing

Wellbeing isn’t a solitary entity; it’s a fusion of factors that contribute to our thriving. Drawing inspiration from my consulting background, I tackled this challenge with a structured approach. In essence, leading the club at LBS closely mirrored managing a project – there’s a team to guide, inspire and empower, outcomes to achieve, and some metrics to oversee. The effort for the year was divided into 3 streams: Firstly, we nurtured Physical Wellbeing through practices like yoga, meditation, and mindful eating. Then, we had the Speaker Stream, inviting inspirational voices like Dr. Selin Kesebir to share their insights. And to thread it all together, we established the Community stream. Under Omrane’s guidance, our Treasury, we organised rejuvenating “city detox sessions” across forests in the UK.

Mental Health Awareness Week – A Paradigm Shift

The turning point emerged at the end of March, as a greater number of individuals opened up about their personal struggles. That was the moment I realised that our perception of mental health needed a transformation. The momentum was building, and perhaps students were now ready to discuss it, or at the very least, listen. This is when I had the idea to host the Mental Health Awareness Week in LBS, a transformative event destined to reshape our views on mental health and ultimately establish an annual tradition at LBS. The aim wasn’t for it to be a one-time event, but rather to spark a recurring event for the future of LBS. Our beautiful Sussex Campus was the ideal place for the opening ceremony of our week-long event. Given that we were in business school, we aimed to also have some level of emphasis on the concrete financial consequences of mental health issues on employee performance and, consequently, on broader business outcomes to showcase the importance of such topics even in a business context.

An Idea Put into Action: Navigating Challenges

With this idea in mind, I started to organise the week-long event. As a summary, it was a mix of last-minute organisation stress, fear of failure, coupled with the excitement of excelling. Indeed, we had to manage organising such a big event in under a month without a substantial budget as well as convince students to consider attending despite stressful job hunting. But, I was determined to initiate discussions at LBS, gain the Dean’s endorsement, and make students realise the paramount importance of wellbeing.

Highlights of Event Organisation: A Triumph of Teamwork

[*]Collaborating with my amazing team – with a special shout-out to the marketing maestros, Chenyu and Palak, whose dedication and hard work truly stood out.[/*]

[*]Garnering support from all quarters: From securing the approval and support (and sponsorship) of the Student Association to convincing teachers and the Dean about our cause.[/*]

[*]Unexpected Allies: Fellow clubs and classmates took me by surprise. Their support wasn’t a mere nod; it was an assertion that we all believed in the wellbeing cause.[/*]
[/list]

A Week of Transformation: Major Success!

Over 400 people participated, extending beyond students to include alumni and external attendees. Mental health took centre stage, and the impact was profound.
The week offered a diverse range of experiences – serene forest walks, soul-soothing sound therapy, resilience workshops, candid discussions about anxiety, and enlightening talks by wellbeing pioneers.

A Call to Sustain: Infusing Wellbeing into LBS’s Essence

This achievement wasn’t mine alone; it was a collective triumph. It illustrated the remarkable outcomes possible when we unite. And we shouldn’t stop here.

So, here’s my call to you, the future LBS community. Let’s continue this positive discussion in the future. Together, we can create an environment where everyone thrives – physically, mentally, and emotionally. And as we progress, let’s remember, our transformation goes beyond our own selves. We’re evolving into leaders who grasp and cater to the diverse needs of those around us. Let’s weave wellbeing into one of the core values of LBS, because leaders who prioritise wellbeing hold the power to redefine the game.

A Moment of Pride

As I look back at this rewarding journey, it became evident that taking on this leadership opportunity had completely changed my MBA journey. LBS instilled the wisdom that expressing our convictions and taking proactive steps can set monumental change in motion. As I envision this event as a cornerstone for future conversations, I am reminded that even the smallest actions can spark remarkable ripples. To top it all off, as a recognition of the efforts, I was awarded the London Business School’s yearly Dean’s Award. It acknowledged the impact my team and I initiated within the LBS community. It was among my proudest moments, and a testament to the ripple we had initiated.
Director
Director
Send PM
Why I chose London Business School: Women at LBS Kirsty Clafton, MBA20 [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Why I chose London Business School: Women at LBS – Kirsty Clafton, MBA2024
By Kirsty Clafton, MBA2024

I chose LBS simply because it is the best Business School in the UK. However, the experience has offered me so much more than this. Not only am I gaining a top-class education, but I’ve also been able to diversify my network due to the international cohort that LBS attracts.

I grew up in the North-East of England and studied maths at the University of Edinburgh. Following this, I joined the army where I served as an officer in the Royal Engineers for 11 years. Most veterans I know sacrificed salary or responsibilities to secure jobs after leaving the military. I wanted to build on my experiences attained in my career to date to leap forward, not take a step back. I also wanted to switch industries and move overseas in the future, so felt that the MBA at LBS would be the key to unlocking this.

Despite not having accounting or finance skills, I’ve really felt able to enrich classroom discussions through my leadership experience. Conversely, I’ve relied upon my new friendships to help me navigate the topics I’ve struggled with. LBS is excellent for encouraging this support network through clubs and societies. I’ve tried to get involved in as many as possible and last year became the treasurer for the Women in Business Club. This was a role that I knew nothing about but in which I felt I’d be supported and learn. Seeing the club flourish and host another successful EQUALL conference has been great. This year, I’m President of the Military in Business Club, another club close to my heart.

I’ve had to be relatively selective when choosing which clubs and activities I wish to spend my time in, it is easy to become overwhelmed with the amount on offer. My life outside of LBS is very demanding of my time – I have two young boys and my husband is also still serving in the military, so it is essential that I am around to support them. My priority is always my family, and so finding the activities that enhance my career, see friends, and learn new skills have to fit in around my family life. This is why my decision to choose LBS was relatively simple as I had to remain in the UK. It is also worth mentioning that I applied in round three, in March just before the round closed. I also hadn’t sat the GMAT/GRE so had limited time to apply to multiple schools, it was a case of putting all my eggs in one basket and hoping for the best.

The sheer number of scholarships on offer also influenced me. LBS seemed to offer the most of any school in the UK. I simply wouldn’t have been able to afford to attend without the generous support of the Laidlaw Foundation which offers a number of full and half scholarships to women to help them to progress and excel in their careers.

I’m now commencing my second year at LBS after completing my summer internship with American Express. Amex were among the many recruiters who come to LBS to recruit although many students source their internships through the LBS network or LBS alumni. It really is a great network to be a part of, I feel that no matter where I am in my career or what problem I’m working on, I’ll be able to connect with other LBS alumni to help me succeed.
Director
Director
Send PM
Why I chose London Business School: Women at LBS Denise Xu, MBA2024 [#permalink]
FROM LBS Admissions Blog: Why I chose London Business School: Women at LBS – Denise Xu, MBA2024

By Denise Xu, MBA2024

If I had a time machine and travel back, I would tell myself “My only regret is that I should have applied earlier and joined LBS, knowing that I would grow so much, both personally and professionally”.

Joining LBS in the beginning was a pure career-oriented decision: my career aspiration is to make a career transition into consulting and establish a global career; Being one of the most reputable MBAschools and located in London, the energy and financial hub of EMEA, LBS could open all the doors for me to continue to thrive and pursue my goal. Indeed, the school not only helped me to achieve my career ambition but also provided an ideal training ground for me in the direction of becoming an influential female leader.

Throughout my first year at LBS, the school’s emphasis on global experiential learning and student-led impact was deeply attractive to me. I was in a humble position to help organisations across the globe solve real-world business issues and create concrete deliverables with like-minded peers within the Impact Consulting Club. I was also fortunate to explore a global career during my summer internship in Dubai – those opportunities would not come if I had not chosen LBS. Another memorable moment was the empowerment piece of the programme, where students were often given the opportunity to hold leadership positions and run impactful events within the community such as the famous TEDxLBS, Global Energy Summit, and China Business Forum. Those events provided an extraordinary opportunity to prepare students to become future leaders while uplifting the community!

My favourite part of the programme is the unique opportunities to interact with world-class firms and to gain insights from those firms through innovative events like Focus on Finance and MBA Impact Investing Competition. I also particularly appreciate LBS’s commitment to preparing women for leadership roles and am excited by the Women in Business Club’s impact as one of the largest, most active student clubs.

My experience at LBS is beyond my expectations with its supportive, collaborative, and warm culture in a community that is surrounded by all the enthusiastic, intelligent, and welcoming people!
GMAT Club Bot
Why I chose London Business School: Women at LBS Denise Xu, MBA2024 [#permalink]
   1  ...  11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19   20   21   22