GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Oct 2018, 13:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Experts Global - RC too tough

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
S
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V40
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Experts Global - RC too tough  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 08:24
Hi guys,

I used a couple of experts global CATs and found that their questions are of good standard, particularly in Quants. However, I feel the RC passages are too tough and too complicated. I went through GMAT club 700-800 RC passages and did not feel that they were so tough as compared to experts global ones. Does somebody else feel the same? Or am I missing something here?
Manager
Manager
P
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.82
WE: Corporate Finance (Retail Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Experts Global - RC too tough  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2017, 18:17
I too felt the same. Practice verbal from manhattan!

If you like my posts, please give kudos. Help me unlock gmatclub tests.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2017, 10:42
Hey, are you guys talking about the free 15 mock exams that they have provided?
If yes, as you have tried them, how close to the real GMAT exam do you guys think these are in terms of the difficulty level?
I know these are not adaptive but still how should one perceive the scores in these mocks?
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2017, 10:50
shauryadutt wrote:
Hey, are you guys talking about the free 15 mock CAT exams that they have provided?
If yes, as you have tried them, how close to the real GMAT exam do you guys think these are in terms of the difficulty level?
I know these are not adaptive but still how should one perceive the scores in these mocks?

Yeah the 15 free CATs.
I guess they are adaptive. Quants are good. But there was one particular question related to triangles that I felt is not a GMAT like question. But otherwise they were fine.
Regarding verbal, RCs were too tough. I couldn't comprehend most of passages, leave alone the questions. However in GMATprep software or OG, it wasn't so tough that I couldn't even comprehend the passage. SCs and CRs were OK. I scored a 720, 690 and 650 in three CATs. I can't comment about the algorithm, as I am not sure.
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Wharton '20
GMAT 1: 650 Q39 V40
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 23 Dec 2017, 13:37
They are very good for practice but may not be very reflective, the reading passages are not really too difficult, I found Veritas RC to be more challenging than those. On the global experts I scored 740 couple of times - can't replicate that in other CATs. It inflated my quant which I brought to par with GMAT club CATs, now I am trying to increase my verbal - never thought it would be a problem

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 00:53
shauryadutt wrote:
Hey, are you guys talking about the free 15 mock exams that they have provided?
Try to use only the GMATPreps for scoring. I'm not saying the tests you're doing cannot provide accurate scores, but it is really quite hard to match the content and algorithm of the GMAT exam.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 02:11
Hey! Thanks for the opinion guys.

Actually, I am a bit confused and frustrated right now. To give you all a brief idea, I gave my GMAT prep mock (second from exam pack 1, got 680 in the first) and got a 600
Q49 V23. I got 7 wrong in quant (was expecting a Q50 with 7 wrong with sufficient gaps though) and 15 wrong in verbal, 5 of which were in the first six questions. I know that's a lot but still, I don't think this could bring my verbal score down to 23. So, I am quite baffled too. I get V33 normally, so after this mock, my hopes are a bit shattered.

In general, I am pretty confident about my quant prep and scores, but I am seriously doubting my verbal aptitude after the GMAT prep mock. Can anyone suggest me what should I do to test my real ability and regain the lost confidence in verbal? Also, from where should I practice verbal at this stage as I have exhausted my Gmat prep Question pack and I am left with two mocks of Exam Pack 2.

PS - I want to give my exam within 20 days. My target score is 740.
SVP
SVP
V
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 21:17
shauryadutt wrote:
Hey! Thanks for the opinion guys.

Actually, I am a bit confused and frustrated right now. To give you all a brief idea, I gave my GMAT prep mock (second from exam pack 1, got 680 in the first) and got a 600
Q49 V23. I got 7 wrong in quant (was expecting a Q50 with 7 wrong with sufficient gaps though) and 15 wrong in verbal, 5 of which were in the first six questions. I know that's a lot but still, I don't think this could bring my verbal score down to 23. So, I am quite baffled too. I get V33 normally, so after this mock, my hopes are a bit shattered.

In general, I am pretty confident about my quant prep and scores, but I am seriously doubting my verbal aptitude after the GMAT prep mock. Can anyone suggest me what should I do to test my real ability and regain the lost confidence in verbal? Also, from where should I practice verbal at this stage as I have exhausted my Gmat prep Question pack and I am left with two mocks of Exam Pack 2.

PS - I want to give my exam within 20 days. My target score is 740.
The other GMATPrep practice tests remain your best bet. If V23 is well below your normal score, I suggest you not attach too much importance to it. Analyse your mistakes thoroughly and try to ensure that you don't repeat them, but don't let that score drag you down mentally.

Ascore Prep | Live Online

Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 23:30
I agree with Ajitesh here. Don't get bogged down by one bad result. If you were scoring V35 consistently, more often than not, you would score the same. Analyse the results. Check why you have got the wrong answers. Sometimes, it may be due to external factors like anxiety, rushing into the answers, etc. Take cue from that and do not repeat it.
Director
Director
G
Schools: ISB '20
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V50
GMAT 2: 730 Q51 V50
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V50
GMAT 4: 730 Q51 V50
GMAT 5: 730 Q51 V50
GMAT 6: 730 Q51 V50
GMAT 7: 730 Q51 V50
GPA: 3.85

Show Tags

New post 17 Feb 2018, 18:01
ss3617 wrote:
Hi guys,

I used a couple of experts global CATs and found that their questions are of good standard, particularly in Quants. However, I feel the RC passages are too tough and too complicated. I went through GMAT club 700-800 RC passages and did not feel that they were so tough as compared to experts global ones. Does somebody else feel the same? Or am I missing something here?

Hello Guys,

Thanks for the query, ss3617. Thanks all for your inputs.

Sorry for a delayed response...we have been busy with the application season.

The feedback that we generally get regarding our RCs is that that they challenge you. We have not heard anybody saying that they are outrageously difficult or 'beyond GMAT'. What you felt may be a coincidence of getting multiple RCs out of your comfort zone or may be because each of our 15 tests replicates the 700+ level difficulty.

Our scoring algorithm is adaptive- that means when you get an easy question incorrect, the penalty is higher than when you get a difficult one incorrect. However, the questions order has been deliberately kept non-adaptive so that all 15 tests give a candidate to experience 700+ level exams. Hence, you may need to sometimes sweat harder on our tests but eventually, the same prepares you for the difficulty you will face on the real GMAT, on your way to scoring 700+!

Hence, take each of these 15 tests considering how GMAT would feel if you were to score 700! The adaptive scoring algorithm commensurately accounts for the difficulty and rewards you the scores.

Further, please do not be bogged down by the dips in scores, once in a while; watching the score graph is the secondary (though meaningful) purpose of the mocks; the primary purpose is to learn from the mistakes! Rest, remember, we all can have bad days. So, just analyze well and prepare for another battle, your sweet revenge!

All the best!
Experts' Global Team

Experts' Global GMAT Online Program - Factually, the World's Most 'Complete' Program
Experts' Global GMAT Classroom Program in Noida
Experts' Global MBA Admissions Consulting- Admits in Each of the World's top 150 B-Schools | Students from 20+ Countries
15 GMAT Practice Tests with Video Explanations

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Experts Global - RC too tough &nbs [#permalink] 17 Feb 2018, 18:01

Experts Global - RC too tough

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap