GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 09:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • 10 Keys to nail DS and CR questions

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

06:00 PM PST

07:00 PM PST

Join our live webinar and learn how to approach Data Sufficiency and Critical Reasoning problems, how to identify the best way to solve each question and what most people do wrong.
  • R1 Admission Decisions: Estimated Decision Timelines and Chat Links for Major BSchools

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

From Dec 5th onward, American programs will start releasing R1 decisions. Chat Rooms: We have also assigned chat rooms for every school so that applicants can stay in touch and exchange information/update during decision period.

Feeling distorted after second horrible GMAT score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Feeling distorted after second horrible GMAT score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Feb 2018, 05:48
Hi Folks, i am studying for GMAT from past 1 year and given exam twice within this duration.

Scores :

1st: 530 (cancelled) V14 Q 49
2nd: 590 (cancelled) V22 Q 49 - (19/02/2018)

As you can see that in my 1st attempt i scored quite well in quants but fell miserably in verbal (scored only 14). After that i started working on my verbal part. One of my friend has egmat verbal videos for Sentence Correction. I went through it thoroughly. Then i started doing exercise questions of OG and GMAT Verbal reviews.

In my mock tests of MGMAT, i scored at an average of 35 in VA. But after my exam, i feel totally distorted as i have left with zero confidence in verbal part. I am now not able to understand which books i have to refer, how can i improve my verbal part. As in mock also i scored 35 but not able to repeat the same in test, i am quite confused about the mocks.

I am targeting April for my next exam. Please suggest me how can i improve my verbal score to atleast 35-36.

I have attached my esr report also. Please have a look.

bb and GMATNinja please have a look into this.
Attachments

File comment: Please please help me..
590_ESR.pdf [431.44 KiB]
Downloaded 35 times

To download please login or register as a user

Originally posted by adiryapunter on 20 Feb 2018, 00:55.
Last edited by adiryapunter on 20 Feb 2018, 05:48, edited 3 times in total.
BSchool Forum Moderator
P
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Reviews Badge
Re: Feeling distorted after second horrible GMAT score  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2018, 05:06
adiryapunter wrote:
Hi Folks, i am studying for GMAT from past 1 year and given exam twice within this duration.

Scores :

1st: 530 (cancelled) V14 Q 49
2nd: 590 (cancelled) V22 Q 49 - (19/02/2018)

As you can see that in my 1st attempt i scored quite well in quants but fell miserably in verbal (scored only 14). After that i started working on my verbal part. One of my friend has egmat verbal videos for Sentence Correction. I went through it thoroughly. Then i started doing exercise questions of OG and GMAT Verbal reviews.

In my mock tests of MGMAT, i scored at an average of 35 in VA. But after my exam, i feel totally distorted as i have left with zero confidence in verbal part. I am now not able to understand which books i have to refer, how can i improve my verbal part. As in mock also i scored 35 but not able to repeat the same in test, i am quite confused about the mocks.

I am targeting April for my next exam. Please suggest me how can i improve my verbal score to atleast 35-36.

I have attached my esr report also. Please have a look.

HI, first of all thank you for not giving up and I'm sure this time you wouldn't do as bad as before

What was the arrangement of sections in your mocks and the actual gmat? under what conditions did you take the test?
did you utilise your breaks? was is under exam - environment ? did you take the mock at the same time of your actual gmat?
how was your mood/mind on the day of the exam? did you have difficulty in reaching the centre?

a lot of questions to be asked before such abysmal performance in verbal

your quant is very good. So focus 20% of your preparation on that and 80% on verbal.

Now for how to improve at Verbal, looking at your ESR let me point something out

you have answered the first few questions of the exam incorrectly. I see the first 1-9/10 questions 50% are wrong. These are the easiest questions in the exam. Now considering you have average V35 score how did you do so poorly at the start of verbal? did something happen?

the answers to your questions are within yourself b/c only you know what happened during the exam

Have a look at these links -

CR -

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-most-com ... 40375.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/critical-rea ... 45178.html

RC -

https://gmatclub.com/forum/guide-to-rea ... 21112.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-most-com ... 40373.html

SC -

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-most-com ... 40372.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/all-sc-rules ... 45563.html

Plan -

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ultimate-ver ... 33279.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-impro ... 13013.html

Just brush your scores of the past, focus again. Rely on official materials and start with basics, maintain an error log and note down your mistakes. Don't just read just write down and keep revising.
Good luck. Work hard and you'll score 700+ for sure ( Try for Q49+ V35+)

Regards,
HK
VP
VP
G

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2018, 05:42
Hi adiryapunter, from your ESR, Sentence Correction emerges as a clear area of concern for two reasons

i) Your percentile ranking in SC is the least among the three sections in Verbal
ii) The average time spent per SC question is the highest among the three sections in Verbal

So basically, despite spending the most time in SC in the exam, your score in SC was the lowest. In fact, generally speaking, SC should consume lesser time per question on the exam, than CR or RC.

Also, would like to highlight that our sentence correction book Sentence Correction Nirvana is perhaps the only book that offers a score improvement guarantee, and is especially designed for non-native speakers.

After reading the book twice (yes! it's an academic book, and so must be read twice in all seriousness, to reinforce the concepts), you will start looking forward to solving SC questions!

The book is available on Flipkart and Amazon.in. You might want to refer to these sites, to also read testimonials of how readers have benefited.

See here how Mohit, who scored 750 on GMAT, vouches for our book.

If you want to sample a chapter before deciding to go ahead with our book, please PM me your mail-id (along with the chapter that you would like to sample) and I will be happy to send that chapter to you by mail. In addition, the entire Grammar section of the book is also available for free preview at pothi.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2018, 15:40
Hi adiryapunter,

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What study materials have you used so far?
2) On what dates did you take the Official GMAT?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
6) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

*****Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!*****

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Feeling distorted after second horrible GMAT score &nbs [#permalink] 20 Feb 2018, 15:40

Feeling distorted after second horrible GMAT score

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap