Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:35 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4799 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Female/33/survivor - Next move? [#permalink]
OK, I'm feeling generous and will answer questions #2 and #3.

#2. Yes, all three companies you mentioned have rotational programs. Do a google search for details.

#3. You can try. Consulting is usually open to anyone, although not everyone has the aptitude for it. You need to be very structured and analytical in your thinking. I know some VERY smart people who couldn't land consulting jobs (at least not for the top firms).

RF
Director
Director
Send PM
refurb wrote:
Your asking too many questions! People reply if it will take them a minute or so, not 15 mins!

I'll answer the first question.

No.

RF

Refurb...Thanks for replies. But with all respect I dont agree with your "People reply if it will take them a minute or so, not 15 mins! " comment ( I wanted to call "crap" but I want in "want to be polite mood" so calling it "comment). GmatClub is such a wonderful resource for MBA aspirants. Look at posts from Rhyme, RiverRipper,BB,Bunuel,Walker and other legends here. For sure they have typed pages on a single post and I bet it has taken them more than 15 minutes. That is the spirit of Gmatclub.

Now coming to my point about too many questions. If you read posts about career/choice of schools/evals Gmatclubbers usually ask for more information so they can provide they inputs.
Thats the only reason I typed a detailed post to give people an idea about my background, reason for the delay and so on so forth.

Nevertheless, Thanks for your inputs. I appreciate your effort.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 433 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 3: 750 Q51 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
I think the ratio of number of responses to number of views is pretty low because most of the people who saw your post were not in a position to supply you with the required info! In come cases people get lucky and the first person to read the post would coincidentally be able to address the query in the best manner possible.
However, the questions you ask are tough to answer. I for one am not qualified to answer them ;)

I posted because I feel the time to type a response (1 minute... 15 minutes or 1 billion minutes) has nothing to do with the number of replies.

You're a veteran member of this community :) and I hope your questions are answered soon!
Director
Director
Send PM
Entwistle wrote:
I think the ratio of number of responses to number of views is pretty low because most of the people who saw your post were not in a position to supply you with the required info! In come cases people get lucky and the first person to read the post would coincidentally be able to address the query in the best manner possible.
However, the questions you ask are tough to answer. I for one am not qualified to answer them ;)

I posted because I feel the time to type a response (1 minute... 15 minutes or 1 billion minutes) has nothing to do with the number of replies.

You're a veteran member of this community :) and I hope your questions are answered soon!

Entwisle,
:)
If those are some tough questions to answer I hope you can imagine how Iam dealing with those day in day out ! Maybe not many applicants go thru this phase and hence many clubbers here may not have anything to share. Thats OK. I plan to go with a consultant .

I just went thru 760 quest and admire you for your determination. All the best Buddy.You will do well. Keep the faith!
Current Student
Send PM
goalsnr wrote:

Refurb...Thanks for replies. But with all respect I dont agree with your "People reply if it will take them a minute or so, not 15 mins! " comment ( I wanted to call "crap" but I want in "want to be polite mood" so calling it "comment). GmatClub is such a wonderful resource for MBA aspirants. Look at posts from Rhyme, RiverRipper,BB,Bunuel,Walker and other legends here. For sure they have typed pages on a single post and I bet it has taken them more than 15 minutes. That is the spirit of Gmatclub.

Well I think one difference is that a lot of the stuff those guys post is relevant to a pretty large group, not just one person. Your questions were quite personal in nature. I do think there is a correlation between how long your post is, how many questions you ask and how many replies you get. Straightforward, short questions get a lot more attention!

RF
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.26
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
As for the age question there are two thoughts I have.

1) European schools favor older candidates for their one year programs, not sure if the US auto companies you want to work at hire there though...then again I imagine the European auto companies do if that's an option for you.

2) If you can convey a message of why you waited so long to get your MBA, which it sounds like you have a reasonable story, that is more important than your raw age. What schools don't want to see is someone who was "lazy" with their career and only just (after 10+ years) decided to get serious about their career. In your case you've had decent career growth while dealing with your illness. How admissions perceives your story is all in how you tell it. If you spin a tale of perserverence and dedication to excellence dispite hardship and adversity, that's a much stronger story than just simply saying I was sick so I had to wait.

Nos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hey - as someone currently in insead - some quick comments

1.My age: Too old for B-school?
Not sure about other schools - but INSEAD should be fine. Mean age is around 29, and I have classmates who are in the mid 30s. Its strange, but age isn't really that big of an issue here. Yes you'll find some kids (26ish) but generally rare. I'll advise you to do the straight mba, especially if you want to career change (or geography change). But nevertheless, just go for an open day to find out more.

2. Question abt careers.
To be honest, there is no sure-shot. For industry, there are a couple of rotational programmes, but networking is really critical. Meet-ups with alum, going for various campus events, landing an internship.. all these are probably necc for getting in. Generally, for consulting, it should be relatively "easier" (partly because the school does throw quite a lot of resources to train you up to get past the interviews, also M/B/B throws a lot of resources into hiring from insead) but again, theres no guarantee.

Hope it helps
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
I think if your story is as compelling as you suggest, all age limits and experience limits fall by the wayside. These "limits" are never set in stone because exceptional items will mean that people will reconsider them.

Given that you are changing career track I would recommend an internship, though I know Samsung picks up a lot of people straight into FT. Does involve moving to Korea though.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92883 posts
GMAT Tutor
1907 posts