Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:13 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [8]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.15
WE:Accounting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Few areas of neuron behavioral research seemed more promising is the e [#permalink]
can anyone explain the answers of 21, 22, 25,26 please ??
LBS Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 775 [3]
Given Kudos: 1577
Send PM
Re: Few areas of neuron behavioral research seemed more promising is the e [#permalink]
Kudos
bm2201 wrote:
tahvorian wrote:
"our initial response was simply to change dregs rather than our conceptual orientation. After many such disappointments, however, it now appears"
Are here the grammar issue? If so, are there any else? Many sentences seems overtangled.

Hi tahvorian,

The sentence: "our initial response was simply to change dregs rather than our conceptual orientation. After many such disappointments, however, it now appears" is correct.
"Dregs" means left over of some solution.

This passage is a GRE Passage, you can expect certain GRE passages to be on the harder side in terms of vocabulary.

Thanks.

Hi bm2201 I think the our friend is right here. There are a lot of mistakes in this passage, seems someone typed in a hurry and made silly mistakes. This rather reads like my AWA section. Also I think in this instance "drugs" makes sens (and not dregs). Some of the problems are highlighted given below:

Few areas of neuron behavioral research seemed more promising is [in] the early sixties than that investigating the relationship between protein synthesis and learning. The conceptual framework for the research was derived directly from molecular biology, which had shown that genetic information is stored in nucleic acids and expressed in proteins why not acquired information as well. The first step towards establishing a connection between protein synthesis and learning seemed to be to block memory (cause adhesion) by interrupting the production of proteins. We were fortunate in finding a non lethal dosage of puromycin that could, it first appealed, thoroughly inhibit brain protein synthesis as well as reliability produce amnesia.

Before the actual connection between protein synthesis and learning could be established however we began to have douche [doubts] about whether inhibition of protein synthesis was in fact the method by which puromycin produced amnesia. First, ocher [other] drugs, glutavimides themselves potent protein synthesis inhibitors either failed to cause amnesia in some situations where it could easily be induced by puromycin or produced an amnesia with a different time course from that of puromycin. Second, puromycin was found to inhabit protein synthesis by breaking certain amino acid chaim [chain], and the resulting fragments were suspected of being the actual cause of amnesia is some eases. Third, puromycin was reported to cause abnormalities in the train, including seizures. Thus, not only were decreased protein synthesis and amnesia dissociated, but alternative mechanism for the amnestic action of puromycin were readily suggested.

So, puromycin turned out to be a disappointment. It came to be regarded as a poor agent for amnesia studies, although, of course, it was poor only in the context of our original paradigm of protein synthesis inhibition. In our frustration, our initial response was simply to change dregs [drugs] rather than our conceptual orientation. After many such disappointments, however, it now appears unlikely, that we will make a firm connection between protein synthesis and learning merely by pursuing the approaches of the past our experience with drugs has shown that all the amnestic agents, often interfere with memory in ways that seem unrelated to their inhibition of protein synthesis. More importantly, the notion that the interruption or intensification of protein production in the train can be related in cause and affect [effect] fashion to learning non [now] seems simplistic and unproductive. Remove the battery from a car and the car will not go Drive [fullstop missing before Drive] the car a long distance at high speed and the battery will become more highly charged. Neither of these facts proves that the battery power the car, only knowledge of the overall automotive system will reveal it [its] mechanism of locomotion and the role of the battery with in [within] the system.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Talking about question No.1 .......In our frustration, our initial response was simply to change drugs rather than our conceptual orientation. ....this made me choose option A...Can anyone please explain this?...
Sajjad1994 Sir please explain this..
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 485 [1]
Given Kudos: 839
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Can someone give a reason as to why is A not the answer of question 1 ?
GMATNinja, AndrewN, CrackVerbal, IanStewart, GMATWhizTeam, EMPOWERgmatVerbal ?

D seems a little odd as the scientific investigations is plural whereas in this passage there is only one scientific research going on for which some set of experiments have been done.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 542 [0]
Given Kudos: 1656
Send PM
I don’t think you will get an expert response.

This can not be an official GRE Passage. If it is, someone did a poor job copying the original.

The sentences are very poorly written with many typos. Might be best to steer clear of this one....

Posted from my mobile device
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts