Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 891 [0]
Concentration: Strategy - Finance
 Q49  V36
Send PM
[#permalink]
Darwazah

I don't really think you should modify your habits of studying or switch to noteboard. If you already have one, then you'd better practice with it. Otherwise, it would be a waste of money to purchase one.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would recommend buying the pad. (I got mine from Testdayscratch, but the Gettingtogradschool's pad looks good too; I just wanted the closer imitation.) I took my test 5/30/06, and I felt that it dropped my score a bit too (from my 760 Kaplan diag to an actual 710). I am looking to take it again end of Feb, and I hope the $25 investment will prove useful.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Note Pads [#permalink]
I personally think that the notepads have absolutely nothing to do with fairness for all test participants. This is so that the test administrator can maximise profits by recycling the boards - apparently, there are over 250,000 test takers every year - a significant amount of cash can be saved by recycling the pads.

As to whether the are prejudicial to certain test takers, then the answer is absolutely yes. They totally discriminate against left handers whose hands come into contact with the ink when they write. Especially when during a test like the GMAT, the pressure can make your palms sweat slightly, which means the ink rubs off even easier than when you practice. Any right handers who have taken the tests and have had no problems, this is due to the way in which you write. You should think about what a nightmare it is for us lefties.

In my view forcing applicants to use this paper is totally unfair - i can't wait for Gmat to end this absurd practice.

I also think I should point out that this is not pearson vue's fault. They act as agents of GMAT and the terms of their license to administrate the test, means that they have to do anything that GMAT says. The inflexibility that some of you might have experienced is to do with GMAT, who decides on exceptions to the rules.

If you want to get this practice changed, write to the business schools. Gmat will not listen to what most test takers say if any change in procedure will hurt their bottom line, but they will pick up the phone to the Dean of a high profile business school. If you want to get this practice changed, I recommend that you complain to your business school.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
sorry, but can somebody explain to me these noteboards???
Intern
Intern
Send PM
paper and pencil way different [#permalink]
I just finished writing my exam. I had ink stains on my palm.
Could not differentiate between x and n on the writing board due to the smudge. And guess what, you cannot erase what youve written.
Uve got to rewrite which wastes a lot of time.

darwazah wrote:
Hi all,

I just found this site and signed up and consequently just learned about the new noteboard rule.

I've been studying for the past 2 months using scratch paper and pencil. Should I switch to use a noteboard from now on?

Any input would be really appreciated!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I just bought testdayscratch for 25 bucks and I believe it is not worthy the price, because the material and pen are too cheap that you can build your own scratch pad!!!

l :shock: :shock: :shock:

Originally posted by andrehaui on 29 Mar 2007, 10:53.
Last edited by andrehaui on 30 Apr 2007, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: paper and pencil way different [#permalink]
tkhan wrote:
I just finished writing my exam. I had ink stains on my palm.
Could not differentiate between x and n on the writing board due to the smudge. And guess what, you cannot erase what youve written.
Uve got to rewrite which wastes a lot of time.

darwazah wrote:
Hi all,

I just found this site and signed up and consequently just learned about the new noteboard rule.

I've been studying for the past 2 months using scratch paper and pencil. Should I switch to use a noteboard from now on?

Any input would be really appreciated!

why cant u erase? i thought it all dry erase markers markings can be wiped off with an eraser
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
while the notepads may suck... i can not believe the test is 250!!!! OMMGG! i went to sign up for it and was in complete utter shock!!! the LSAT was only 120! i was planning on writing teh GMAT like 4x.. ahahaha! now i am thinking against that!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
andrealittrell wrote:
while the notepads may suck... i can not believe the test is 250!!!! OMMGG! i went to sign up for it and was in complete utter shock!!! the LSAT was only 120! i was planning on writing teh GMAT like 4x.. ahahaha! now i am thinking against that!

Some schools are starting to accept the GRE to address the high cost of the GMAT. I know a couple people who have spent 500-1,000 dollars on taking the tests and still never got the scores they are hoping for. It has to sting to spend all that money (especially for one who took the classes) and still feel like you aren't going to be very competitive.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
yess! i mean, the LSAT is 100.. so i dont understand why this test has to be that much!! it is absurd!!! i actually am good at math.. and i would prefer to do the GMAT over the GRE. also, at the school i hope to get into the GMAT is a must! i am hoping for 600... so i just need to NAIL the math.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Are the notepads letters size (8.5x11)?

And what kind of markers are they? Someone earlier said they're not eraseable (Sharpies?)

And are we allowed to bring our own earplugs? Or are some type of headphones provided?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
Someone should make this thread a sticky. It is one of the most commonly asked questions by first time GMAT takers.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
[#permalink]
andrealittrell wrote:

CFA is around 1000, CPA is around 2300...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think it's F'in ridiculuous for them to make use those goofy pens/paper. I am not sure how they think we will smuggle paper out. We are being taped and there is a monitor there the whole time..

I have VERY bad handwriting with a regular pencil/paper. You can imagine how it is with that crap they give you there...totally uncalled for. I think I lose about 3 Q points from home tests because it takes me so long to write stuff out and understand it
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just some personal opinions.... nothing offensive.

Is the aim of using noteboards just to save money?
-> Perhaps some of you are right... they save money by recycling the pads, but they are being environmental friendly too, isn't it? In this age where the weather is started to turn really wicked, any form of recycling seems good to me... but that's just a personal opinion

Are left-handers discriminated?
-> I'm a left-hander myself, so I think I'm in a good position to judge. I believe all of you would by now already know that you are given these so called white boards (just laminated grid paper) and markers. In fact, you should even know about this when you do your prep. As some of you pointed out, right handers have no problems. For left-handers, this is where prep comes into play. The way i did was to write from right to left on the scratch paper I'm using. By writing that way, your hand don't come into contact with the ink, and even if it does, only minimally...

I think the rule is here to stay... but instead of worrying about it, why not make it part of your prep and see how can work around a problem? I can also tell you now the work area is going to be very limited. But we don't let that get in the way isn't it? We shift the keyboard out of the way after AWA, or do some re-arrangment to make more space...etc...

Here's what I suggest:
-> If you're left hander, start all your prep today by using the scratch paper from right to left. Get used to this paper management.

-> If you're still not comfortable, laminate some grid paper and get fine tip markers for your own prep. That way you can get used to writing on laminated paper.

Finally, I assume your test center keeps the fine tip markers in good condition, but that's really beyong your control. At least on the paper management part, we want to be covered, right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: Fight the Noteboards [#permalink]
Intern
Intern
Send PM
umashg wrote:
I've read the posts on the subject and wanted to throw in my 2c:

While I agree that the noteboards can be a cause of heartburn for some people, I think the most important point for each test taker is to be mentally prepared for the setup (overall, not just the notebaords) before going to the test center. I've taken the test twice - first time with ETS, using paper and pencil, and then with Vue, using the noteboards. I honestly dont think the noteboards make that much of a difference. Like someone said earlier, any external factor can have a psychological impact on the test taker - it could be the awful cologne worn by the person in the adjacent desk, noise from the AC units, etc. During my second test, I had to endure a somewhat sick student who was coughing most of the time - the earplugs could only do so much.

The best strategy is to tune out all the extraneous factors and focus on the test. Specifically for the noteboards, I'd suggest using a similar setup on your very last practice test at home just to get a feel for it. About the only concern I really had with the noteboards was that all my fingers were soaked in ink by the time I was done - and the ink doesnt wash off easily.

Sorry about reviving an old thread...this person said earplugs! Are earplugs allowed? If so, can I take them or are they provided? Also, if you feel the pen's tip is no longer "fine", can you ask for another one? Or once you get a pen, that's it? Thanks.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4