Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [34]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [15]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [3]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 344 [1]
Given Kudos: 482
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.65
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Film studies, an academic discipline that deals with various theoretic [#permalink]
Film studies, an academic discipline that deals with various theoretical, historical, and critical approaches to movie-making, is less concerned with advancing proficiency in film production than to explore the cultural, economic, and political implications of the cinema.

A) than to explore // the correct idiom is "to be concerned with/for/about/to. this option is a challenging contender. "to be less concerned with advancing proficiency in film production than to explore the cultural, economic, and political implications of the cinema." is grammatically correct. it seems to me that, it is meaningful as well. options C and D are better because they maintain the parallelism with the same word, "with".

B) than in the exploring of // to be less concerned in??? the correct idiom is "to be concerned with/for/about/to" plus, "exploration" is the correct noun.

C) than with the exploration of // "to be less concerned with advancing proficiency in film production than with the exploration of the cultural, economic, and political implications of the cinema." is grammatically correct. "advancing proficiency" and "the exploration" can be considered a noun. to be less concerned with [a noun] than [a noun] maintains parallelism. it seems to me that, it is meaningful as well.

D) than it is with exploring // "it is" is unnecessary and can be omitted. "exploring" is parallel with "advancing". so, this option maintains parallelism and thus can be considered OK, too.

E) than in the exploration of // to be less concerned in??? the correct idiom is "to be concerned with/for/about/to" [/quote]

hehe, I got stuck.

Originally posted by tyildirim92 on 10 Jul 2020, 01:19.
Last edited by tyildirim92 on 10 Jul 2020, 01:42, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 140 [1]
Given Kudos: 151
Concentration: Marketing, Sustainability
Send PM
Film studies, an academic discipline that deals with various theoretic [#permalink]
Film studies, an academic discipline that deals with various theoretical, historical, and critical approaches to movie-making, is less concerned with advancing proficiency in film production than to explore the cultural, economic, and political implications of the cinema.

I'm just going to shorten the statement first so that it's easy to focus on the bit that needs to be corrected. Let's begin by omitting the modifier, the condensed version:

Film studies is less concerned with advancing proficiency in film production than to explore the cultural, economic, and political implications of the cinema.
(Much better, isn't it ? :P)

Now let's further break down the statement

Film studies ( subject)
is less concerned with .... ( is as we know is the verb)

The statement highlights a contrast between 'less concerned with' and 'to explore'

'explore' features 'to' - an infinitive. So this isn't parallel to 'advancing'-ing construction.

The correct option should correct this to state :

than film studies is with exploring

Option C replaces film studies with an appropriate pronoun -it. And hence, that's going to be our pick

OA : C

6 weeks to Round 1 deadlines . Let's nail it !

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by VERBAL1 on 10 Jul 2020, 01:37.
Last edited by VERBAL1 on 10 Jul 2020, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Re: Film studies, an academic discipline that deals with various theoretic [#permalink]
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Sentence Correction (SC2)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

A) than to explore

B) than in the exploring of

C) than with the exploration of

D) than it is with exploring

E) than in the exploration of

Cross out the part after the comma from"an academic discipline....movie making"

A) than to explore

C) than with the exploration of - CORRECT, as it fixes parallelism

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 185 [0]
Given Kudos: 140
Send PM
Re: Film studies, an academic discipline that deals with various theoretic [#permalink]

POE:
Eliminate (A),(B),(D) & (E)- Comparison error; 'with advancing proficiency..........than with...'

A) than to explore

C) than with the exploration of - CORRECT

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3964 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
generis wrote:

A) than to explore

A) than to explore

Less concerned with ..... than with ..... is correct parallelism in C

IMO C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM

A) than to explore

- Parallelism error; "less" & "than" should be parallel.

- Incorrect

- Parallelism error

- Incorrect

- it removes the parallelism error

- Correct

- Parallelism error

- Incorrect

- parallelism error

- Incorrect

IMO(C)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM

Film studies is less concerned with advancing proficiency in X than Y

A) than to explore (parallelism error) wrong

B) than in the exploring of (parallelism error "in the exploration of" would be much more appropriate) wrong

C) than with the exploration of (parallelism error)

D) than it is with exploring (parallelism error)

E) than in the exploration of (correct)

IMO E

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3964 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Hi generis
What is the OE?

generis wrote:

A) than to explore

Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35490 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The official explanation is here.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [0]
Given Kudos: 655
Send PM
Dear generis

I can see why D works. I have seen similar examples from Ron
here :

- Chemistry involves philosophy less than it does physics.

However, I think E also works, pretty much in the way that Ron explains here and here :

- It is nearly four times more likely that minority graduates will plan to practice in socioeconomically deprived areas than to work for multinational pharmaceutical corporations.

When we compare “minority graduates” with “minority graduates”, it’s ok if “that minority graduates will plan” interferes the construction. In other words, in the construction “more likely A than B”, A and B don't have to be similar structures. We can compare B with some parallel part of A.

- It is nearly four times more likely that minority graduates will plan to practice... than that other graduates will.

However, when we compare “minority graduates” with “other graduates”, A and B should be similar structures. Now, let’s take a look at E:

- E) Film studies is less concerned with advancing proficiency in film production than in the exploration of the cultural implications of the cinema.

Since we are comparing “film studies” with “film studies”, it’s ok if “with advancing proficiency” interferes the construction. “Film studies is more concerned with advancing proficiency in the exploration of the cultural implications of the cinema” doesn’t sound ridiculous. So, there is no need to eliminate E.

I searched multiple reputable publications for the phrase “advancing proficiency in the exploration of”, and it seems pretty common. Even though, Film studies is actually not about advancing proficiency in the exploration but just about exploring, we are not supposed to know this. Am I right?

Your comments on my thoughts are much welcome.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hi Generis,

Thanks for your explanation and it makes complete sense to me.

However I am at very early stage of my preparation and trying to understand the meaning of the sentence from different perspectives. So I need some guidance in understanding why my thinking in flawed.

What if I think like this: "less concerned with proficiency in film production" and advancing is just an adjective/modifier to state that the proficiency is still in advancing stage. Would like to know what is wrong in this thought process? If we think "proficiency" as the main noun which is being compared here then option C should be a better choice.

Any further explanation will really help to broaden my understanding.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Hi Generis,

Thanks for your explanation. I just have a question. Is it possible to compare in film production with in exploration?

In this case, the sentence will be Film studies is less concerned with advancing proficiency in film production than [film studies is less concerned with advancing proficiency] in exploration of
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 226
Send PM
I have a doubt: Film studies is...than (it) is... this means "studies" is a singular noun, but isn't it a plural noun?
Anybody can tell? thanks.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts