GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 18:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.
  • Free GMAT Prep Hour

December 11, 2018

December 11, 2018

09:00 PM EST

10:00 PM EST

Strategies and techniques for approaching featured GMAT topics. December 11 at 9 PM EST.

First mock (690 Q49 V34) - Target 700ish, book exam in 1 month?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
First mock (690 Q49 V34) - Target 700ish, book exam in 1 month?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jun 2018, 14:27
Hi everyone,

I just did my first mock and got 690 Q49 V34 (please see below for some snapshots). I intend to score within the range of 700 - 750, and I can study at least 20 hrs/week. In terms of material, I still have >50% of the OG, VR and QR questions (mostly hard), the questions from GMATPrep software and of course the 2nd mock. For the remaining guide books, I have the MPrep's advanced quant. guide and Veritas' verbal guides.

Is having the exam 1 month from now a realistic goal? I will appreciate any tips or advices. :)

Some highlights of this mock experience:
- Incorrectness by section: DS - 6, PS - 6, SC - 6, CR - 4, RC - 1; The incorrectness profile is very similar to my timed practice sets so far.
- I was behind by few minutes at half of Quan. section, so I ended up rushing and getting a lot of questions wrong (including 6 wrong in a row near the end). I was really surprised I walked out with a 49 with that kind of mistake.
- I didn't really have a timing strategy for Verbal section: I reached my last 5 questions with 15 minutes left. I typically finished my timed practice sets ~10 minutes early as well. Perhaps I should put greater emphasis on refining Verbal now that Quan. is pretty solid?
- I got 8 on IR (!!), perhaps I can forgo studying for this section altogether. :)

Thanks,

Kuja

Director
Director
V
Reviews Badge
Re: First mock (690 Q49 V34) - Target 700ish, book exam in 1 month?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jun 2018, 08:02
Hi kuja,

You're pretty close to your target score. Booking a test can help to be more dedicated and avoid slacking.

Non progredi est regredi

Intern
Intern
B
Re: First mock (690 Q49 V34) - Target 700ish, book exam in 1 month?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jun 2018, 17:23
Hi Akela,

Sounds good! Will do.

I can assure you that I am no slacker - In fact, I am worried that I might push too hard and get myself burnout. It happened few times already before.

Do you think that full length timed sets every other day would be a bit too much and too frequent?
e-GMAT Representative
D
First mock (690 Q49 V34) - Target 700ish, book exam in 1 month?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2018, 02:57
Hey kuja,

Let me begin my reply by saying that you are on the right track on your preparation – your score is a reflection of that.

Now, coming to the last mile of your preparation, it is imperative to maintain a few points to ensure you don’t miss the final touch to surpass your target score. Let’s have a look at them:
    • Analyse the mistakes that you have made so far, in your preparation.
      o This is where the importance of maintaining an error log comes into picture. Do check those questions, approaches, and the concepts related in a regular interval to ensure those errors are not getting repeated.
    • Complete any pending concepts early so that you have sufficient time to solve application type questions on that concept.
    • Do practice a good mix of questions, in terms of variety as well as difficulty level, to ensure minimum level of surprises in the original GMAT exam. A platform like Scholaranium can be of a great help for this purpose.

Finally, maintain your focus for the test – a focused approach in the last one month ensures you are on the peak of your performance on the real test day.

Good luck for your preparation. Feel free to reach us anytime if you need any help regarding the preparation. :-)

Register for free sessions
Number Properties | Algebra |Quant Workshop

Success Stories
Guillermo's Success Story | Carrie's Success Story

Ace GMAT quant
Articles and Question to reach Q51 | Question of the week

Must Read Articles
Number Properties – Even Odd | LCM GCD | Statistics-1 | Statistics-2 | Remainders-1 | Remainders-2
Word Problems – Percentage 1 | Percentage 2 | Time and Work 1 | Time and Work 2 | Time, Speed and Distance 1 | Time, Speed and Distance 2
Advanced Topics- Permutation and Combination 1 | Permutation and Combination 2 | Permutation and Combination 3 | Probability
Geometry- Triangles 1 | Triangles 2 | Triangles 3 | Common Mistakes in Geometry
Algebra- Wavy line | Inequalities

Practice Questions
Number Properties 1 | Number Properties 2 | Algebra 1 | Geometry | Prime Numbers | Absolute value equations | Sets

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 24 Jun 2018, 07:38
Hi Payal,

Thank you for the tips!

I do currently maintain an error log, but I must confess that I haven't been reviewing it much - I devote majority of the time doing practice sets, and whatever time that's left I focus on fixing glaring weaknesses with the guides (ex. sentence correction).

If I have to choose between doing more sets or reviewing errors, which is more value-adding? At this point, I still have 600+ questions to go from the books and it's likely I will not finish them all by the exam date.
e-GMAT Representative
D

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2018, 00:48
Hey kuja,
if you have to choose between doing more sets and reviewing errors, definitely your priority should go to reviewing errors first. Only in that way you can ensure that you are not repeating your mistakes again.

On the other hand, if you keep on doing new sets while repeating the same mistakes, you can figure it out that you are not learning from your previous errors and committing the same mistakes again and again.

Hope you have got an idea about the priorities you want to set and how to proceed in your preparation. write us back for any clarification – we will be happy to help. :-)

Register for free sessions
Number Properties | Algebra |Quant Workshop

Success Stories
Guillermo's Success Story | Carrie's Success Story

Ace GMAT quant
Articles and Question to reach Q51 | Question of the week

Must Read Articles
Number Properties – Even Odd | LCM GCD | Statistics-1 | Statistics-2 | Remainders-1 | Remainders-2
Word Problems – Percentage 1 | Percentage 2 | Time and Work 1 | Time and Work 2 | Time, Speed and Distance 1 | Time, Speed and Distance 2
Advanced Topics- Permutation and Combination 1 | Permutation and Combination 2 | Permutation and Combination 3 | Probability
Geometry- Triangles 1 | Triangles 2 | Triangles 3 | Common Mistakes in Geometry
Algebra- Wavy line | Inequalities

Practice Questions
Number Properties 1 | Number Properties 2 | Algebra 1 | Geometry | Prime Numbers | Absolute value equations | Sets

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: First mock (690 Q49 V34) - Target 700ish, book exam in 1 month? &nbs [#permalink] 25 Jun 2018, 00:48

First mock (690 Q49 V34) - Target 700ish, book exam in 1 month?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap