Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:21 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 03-02-2015
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 225 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 03-02-2015
GPA: 3.88
Send PM
Re: First REAL GMAT test …DEVASTATION at my 420 [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi nrazavi,

Sorry to hear that.
My story is much similar to your story.
Just before 2-3 weeks before my actual exam, i consistently scored 700+ in GMATprep mocks.
On actaul paper, I scored mere 480.

So I have again started my preparation and will give GMAT in coming month.

One thing to add on, GMAT doesn't only test your knowledge, but your attitude and state of mind as well.
It's just an exam, mate and there is always a second chance.
Prepare again, brush up your skills and work on your weak areas.
I'm sure you will nail the exam in your second attempt. Just don't give up.
Staying Calm and confident during the test are two key factors.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
WE:Account Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Nrazavi,

I think I got a score in the high 400s, low 500s when I first took the GMAT. Do not let that discourage you! Put together a general plan like this:

- Learn the concepts and do a lot of practice questions (1 1/2 months). Make notes on where you are doing well and where you are struggling.
- Spend additional time on reinforcing the concepts that you struggle with by going over the concept again and doing more practice questions. This is a bit more straightforward approach for the quantitative section and trickier with the verbal section. With sentence correction, read things out to yourself to make sure they sound correct. For reading comprehension, go through tougher passages like LSAT passages to really test yourself. If you have trouble reading dense passages, pick up an economist or New Yorker and get used to reading that language.
- Take more practice tests to see where you are. Track where are you struggling and continue to work on the trouble areas. Keep doing this until fix those weak points.

Just remember to be as efficient as possible. If you are doing the questions, but not learning anything, don't expect to gain much. Additionally, do not rush through any of the practice. If you are making silly mistakes because you didn't read the question correctly or didn't do a calculation all the way through, then you're rushing. If you rush through practice questions and mock tests now, you'll do the same on the actual exam and make mistakes. The best test takers make VERY few mistakes. Lastly, make sure that you breathe and relax during the exam. A certain level of anxiety is good to keep focus, but too much anxiety can really hurt you.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts