Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:30 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: First Time GMAT Practice Test [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi BuschLeague22,

Many GMATers are unhappy with their initial practice scores, but you really shouldn't be. If you were rushing so much that you finished each section 10 minutes EARLY, then you likely moved too quickly through a number of prompts that you could have correctly answered (if you had slowed down, taken more notes, double-checked your work, etc.). As such, this 220 might not be a completely accurate assessment of your 'ability level' at this point - and you'll improve on that result over time as you learn more about the content, Tactics and little 'secrets' of the Exam.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) Have you done any studying yet for the GMAT or are you just getting started?
2) What study materials - if any - do you currently have access to?

Goals:
3) What is your overall goal score?
4) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
BuschLeague22 wrote:
I scored a 220. I was distracted and I was rushing because of time even though I was left with 10 extra mins for each section. Does anyone recommend certain GMAT prep? I am just rusty and need to brush up on my verbal/quant. A little discouraged given the fact I am not a good standardized test taker.

Hi BuschLeague22,

You diagnostic score is pretty low but do not take this score too seriously as it's just to assess your current level. I have a couple of articles for you which can help you understand the right way to prepare for GMAT.

How to start your GMAT Preparation?

How to effectively plan your studies for GMAT?

The 3 key skills you need to develop to score well on GMAT

I would suggest you to choose a resource which can help you:
  • Learn the concepts
  • Learn the methodology (Most important)
  • Practice questions
  • Analyze detailed solutions
  • Follow a study plan
  • Work on your weak areas

The best thing to do would be to check out the free trials of the online courses out there and choose the one which suits you the most. But make sure you choose the one which can help you with the above factors. You can check out the below article to know more about the factors to consider while evaluating an online course.

Key factors to consider while evaluating an online course

And I would suggest you to check out the free trial of GMATWhiz before taking a decision. It is an AI driven course which focuses on the application and strategy. If you wish to have a detailed discussion regarding the study strategy, you can get in touch with me using the below link.

Click here to schedule a call
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 485 [0]
Given Kudos: 839
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
First Time GMAT Practice Test [#permalink]
Hey BuschLeague22, Welcome to GMATClub.
I agree with what bb has said above. I would recommend that you go through the reviews of the various on-demand courses that you can find on our forum.
Then take a trial of whatever courses interests you. I think then you are in a position to take a call on what course do you want to opt for.

I would recommend that you can try Target Test Prep, the way they teach quant and verbal is amazing.
ScottTargetTestPrep, MartyTargetTestPrep.
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16594 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello BuschLeague22,

Welcome to the GMAT club. It is one of the great platforms to get information about the GMAT official test, Study plan, Section wise instructions, and many more. You are recommended to visit various posts and utilize this forum in the best efficient way.

Learning is a continuous process, and it shines with practice. Success in GMAT is entirely based on vital concepts, rigorous practice, complete knowledge of math question types and patterns, quick approaches, and time management.

Your current mock score is shaky. You can schedule a free counseling(https://calendly.com/mathrevolution/1-on-1-session) session for 20 mins with one of our experts to have detailed advice on your current study plans.

A score of 220 in the mock test tells that neither the Math nor the Verbal is above average. Hence, both sections have to be taken care of simultaneously. To improve, you will require consistent learning and practice. Also, keep your motivation high to learn.

Since we are a math expert, we will recommend you go through our post on the GMAT club, which gives a complete Breakdown of GMAT math questions and types: https://gmatclub.com/forum/overview-of-gmat-math-question-types-and-patterns-on-the-gmat-211809.html#p1641411

Also, make a note of various possible combinations to achieve your target score. The possible scores will help you track your performance after taking the mock or practice test. It will also help you maintain balance in both the sections, and you will always be in a great position to allot the study hours to a specific area accordingly.

After visiting the post, now is the time to start with the basics. To strengthen the basic concept on various topics like arithmetic, algebra, geometry, and word problems, you may refer to many free materials available in GMAT Club. Our website also helps strengthen the necessary "skills of math”.

Solve as many questions as you can related to different topics, and it is recommended that you try to connect with many proven experts. You can visit the Math Revolution and get access to our 7-days on-demand course for free trial lessons.

While concept learning, try solving 600 level questions by topic and be habitual of creating the error log. Prepare a list of all the doubts you face during solving and practicing questions. This practice will help you assess the topics in which you need more time to prepare. After solving as many questions as possible, take the 1st mock test and assess your performance. You may try our free diagnostic test once. Let some experts evaluate it to make you understand it better.

Continue the process with 650+ level by topic and then 700+ level questions by topic. The entire mock test should be completed in a disciplinary manner. Since this is a bit long journey, 1-on -1 tutoring can also be helpful to shorten the study period if your study budget is affordable.

Regular tests will reflect the positive change in the score, and hence, your confidence will boost up. Gradually, with the help of mock tests, you will be able to compete with time and hence will be able to learn time management.

We appreciate your time and patience in reading this reply.
If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

You can reach us at info@mathrevolution.com.

Success is within your reach.

Good luck!
Math Revolution Team
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 345 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
You can start by reading this awesome guide by BB GMAT Study Plan - 2021 Edition . This discusses what are the different ways to prepare, which different resources are available, which ones to pick etc.
Also you can opt in for GMAT Club partners course at a trial basis then choose the one that you like the most Master List of all Free GMAT Course Trials
Best of luck!
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22047 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Regarding prep courses, in addition to seeking advice in this thread, take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses, and also read through some GMAT success stories to see what materials have worked well for other test-takers.

Also, would you like some general advice on how to improve your verbal and quant skills?

You also may find it helpful to read this article about how to score a 700+ on the GMAT.

Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [1]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.15
WE:Accounting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Go for a good online course.