Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:35 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 500 Q32 V26
GPA: 3.4
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: ISB '15
GPA: 3.49
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Operations, Technology
GMAT 1: 500 Q32 V26
GPA: 3.4
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3671 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: First Time GMAT taker - need your advice [#permalink]
Sounds like a very diverse study plan. Thanks for the mention igloo...just to clarify the link for the GMATPill RC videos you can find here:
https://www.gmatpill.com/practice-questi ... -guide-rc/

When it comes to reading, you'll also want to make sure you get some reading practice from outside sources. Try the Economist, Scientific American, or the Harvard Magazine online (try the research section: https://harvardmagazine.com/topic/research)

Give those a shot.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.51
WE:Other (Transportation)
Send PM
igloo wrote:
mj1072 wrote:
Hi Friends,

I shall be taking my GMAT in 1st week of June'13. Need a bit of advice here on the study material to use. Since I have to submit my applications by Fall this year itself, I have no choice but to ace the test in my first attempt itself. I have a plan to score atleast 730.

The following are the books with which I will be starting my preparation -

1) OG 12
2) OG 13
3) OG for GMAT for Quant - 2nd edition
4) OG for GMAT for Verbal - 2nd edition

Since I have been out of touch with any kind of educational exams for last 7 years, I am a bit uncertain about my preparation and the level that I should achieve, for my target score.

I live in Mumbai and my working hours are very hectic. Hence I was thinking of joining the '4GMAT Coaching Classes' for preparing for GMAT.

Request you all to drop in your suggestions within atleast a day or so since their batches are starting from Saturday-09/03/2013. Kindly share any pleasant or unpleasant experiences you may have had.

Also please tell me if I diligently study with the above books and give mocks in between, would this be sufficient for achieving my target score. Looking forward for a word of advice from BB.

Cheers!!!

MJ

P. S. - My educational background is LME (Licentiate Diploma), BE (Production)

Hi,

The books you have outlined are mostly for official practice once you have cornered the concepts / foundations. But what about books for foundations ? I would doubt if tutoring in India helps you to any extent except for imparting a disciplined approach. Consider global online coaching like e-gmat which is also affordable. I will break out the materials you might need for getting the foundations and for GMAT like practice below :

Sentence Correction - egmat SC (online) or Veritas Prep SC + Thursdays with RON SC videos or Aristotle SC Grail 3rd edition + Mgmat SC

Critical Reasoning - Powerscore CR bible ( You can buy the kindle edition for a good price now ) + a few chapters from Mgmat CR 5th edition

Reading Comprehension - Veritas Prep RC + Thursdays with Ron RC Videos or Gmat-Pill RC(online) or e-gmat RC(online). Also regularly read two articles a day, each from Economist and Newyork Times / Wall street journal.

Quant - Mgmat 5th edition set of 5 quant guides or Veritas prep individual Quant guides. Also check out GMAT Club MATH Book and problems in legendary Bunuel Signature !

Points to Note :

1. Take a Diagnostic test ( free Mgmat test or Gmat prep test ). If your quant score is decent you can go ahead with total gmat math book and follow up the weak areas though problems in Bunuel Signature / Mgmat Quant guides.

2. If your Verbal is too low or if English is not your first language and you do struggle with Gmat verbal, start off with Mgmat Verbal Foundations Guide and then go to individual books listed above.

3. For verbal Practice strictly stick to official Practice problems only (Stick to The Official Guide for GMAT® Verbal Review, 2nd Edition and OG 13). There is a lot of overlap between OG 12 and OG 13.

4. For Quant, you have many good resources. Practice from any one of the book combinations below :

1. End of chapter problems from Mgmat Quant guides + OG 13
2. End of chapter problems from Veritas prep Quant guides + OG 13
3. End of chapter problems from Total Gmat Math , Jeff Sackmann + OG 13

5. To raise your quant score further up, practice all problems from Bunuel signature or do the PS and DS sections from GMAT Prep extra Question pack (bought separately for 24 $ and closely resemble the actual GMAT standards)

6. For verbal, once you are done with OG 13 and OG verbal review, practice all verbal questions from GMAT Prep extra Question pack (bought separately for 24 $ and closely resemble the actual GMAT standards)

Hope this is helpful.

Hi Igloo :) Some advice needed.
For verbal, once you are done with OG 13 and OG verbal review, practice all verbal questions from GMAT Prep extra Question pack (bought separately for 24 $ and closely resemble the actual GMAT standards)
Could you elaborate on the effectiveness of the GMAT prep 1 questions, esp for Quant practice?? I regularly visit the GMAT club and solve random questions. However I feel i need some more practice in Quant. I am reluctant to go for GMAT club tests since i feel I would be much better off practicing questions that are representative of the actual GMAT in difficulty and not go for extremely hard stuff. How are the questions in the GMAT prep 1 set for practicing tough Quant questions(700 level questions similar to the ones someone doing well in quant may encounter on his test day)
The package costs about 30$. Is it good bang for the buck :wink:
Thanks in advance and all the best :)
GMAT Club Bot