Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Columbia, Duke
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 322 [0]
Send PM
Re: **First time post, took GMAT twice, both 640, need help** [#permalink]
Yeah you can't leave out any question unanswered otherwise GMAT will punish you severely. So, you have to pick your battles and learn to pass the question you know would take forever - remember Tiger does not score birdie or eagle in each hole to win the championship. Get yourself https://www.gmatter.biz for verbal and quantitative questions more in CAT format. I would also order MGMAT sentence correction book if you arent very comfortable with SC.

BTW, I have, also, seen that nasty 640: 47Q, 31V. So, yes I can relate!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1726 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi TFA

Man... sorry to hear that bro. 640 is a big hump - it's not too high and not too low. You're certainly capable of scoring 700+.

You took the test twice:
1: Q40 V38
2: Q47 V31

The big drop seem to come from the Verbal. So I would focus on that. SC is the most rigid of the three types. Memorize the common rules and you will rock it.

I will try to answer the three questions at the bottom of your post:

1) I went through the OG. I feel that the OG is a great way for one to get use the type of questions and structure of questions on the GMAT. It may not have the tough questions, but it certainly helps. Should you do it? For the Quant, I would not (you're at 47, above what the OG can provide). For the verbal, yes.
2) I never cared for the 10-15 first-questions rule. The difficulty of the test moves with whether you have made a correct choice. The only rule I abid by is: Answer the question right in 2 minutes or guess.
3) My personal model: Answer the question right in 2 minutes or guess. Stick with the 80/20 rule is also helpful. Don't spend 80% of your time trying to get that 20% of the questions correct. Just make sure you finish.

GL homie.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
You might not need any more practice at all, as you have demonstrated you can score Q47 V38. Have you ever scored like this in practice?
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Thanks all for the suggestions!

I think I will definitely get the MGMAT SC book as two of you had suggested it already.

leeye84: Thanks, glad to know that there are some people who don't adhere to the first 10 questions rule and still get high scores. I have this psychology urge to spend more time on them, but now the 2 minute rule makes most sense. OG 11 verbal definitely makes sense too.

tarmac: When I took the GMATPrep tests I usually score above 690, but I don't think it is a good indicator since some questions came up repeatedly. However I do think that I had alot of luck when I got V38 on my first test, because on my second test I got some relatively harder questions all the way.

Another question, do any of you use the GMAT Club forums to study? If so, was it helpful?

Thanks again!

TFA
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
I feel compelled to reply to the post of a fellow Columbia SEAS graduate.
Though I am older and will be 30 at matriculation....

Anyways, first thing first.
If you can make Q48, V38.. that'll give you a 710.
How do I know? I just did it on Monday this week.
From the look of your top score both in V & Q, you can make it to 700+ with no problem.

However, I don't feel like I am in a good position to teach people how to study, since I can honestly say that I did not study too hard.... :oops:
Below is what I did:
1. Princeton Review's sample test -- to understand GMAT format better
2. OG11 evaluation -- see where I stand with just basic understanding
3. Finish all questions in verbal OG11, since it is my weakness
4. Finish first 125 questions of problem solving sections in QG11
5. GMATprep, test 1 -- got 710
6. Finish 2nd 125 questions of problem solving section in OG11
7. Started preparing for AWA 1 month before the actual exam by writing practice essays
8. GMATprep, test 2 -- 720 2 days before the actual exam
9. Review all of the wrong answers day before the exam (both CAT & OG11)
10. Take the actual exam

In the end, I wrote 8 practice essays, about 10 or so outlines of topics, and the questions stated above. I probably would've had a better score if I did some questions on DS... but math has not been overly difficult for me and my main focus was to familiarize myself and raise the score in verbal....

In any case, do all problems in OG11, at least the last 3rd of all sections.... Those are the harder problems and will help you a lot. You need to be do enough problems to have an intuition of what the answer should be and trust your instinct. This is how it has been for me for all the exams, be it SAT, GRE, or GMAT.

Lastly, I do believe that the very beginning of the section matter more. So take your time with the first few questions and make sure you get them right. Once you feel the questions are a bit challenging, that usually means you are in good shape.

Hope to see you in school next year!
The walk from Mudd to Uris is not too long. :wink:
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V35
Send PM
thanks fellow alumn! i am currently focusing much more on the OG, and like you said, the later parts of the sections are much more challenging, and i find the explanations useful. hopefully this will do!

thanks much again!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Have you looked at Manhattangmat's verbal books? they are pretty good.
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V35
Send PM
I just took it again last Saturday, and...

680 (Q47, V35)

I have really mixed feelings about this score...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 65
Send PM
just took the gmat and got the same score as you did in your second test ... even the break up is same...this time verbal 31..last time verbal 34..this time quant 47..up from 45 last time... got 710 in prep but am not trusting gmat prep anymore... i guess am doomed if i don't bring up my verbal even if i manage to get a 49 in Q next time :cry:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
Was 680 your 3rd GMAT? I would stop here, don't go over 3.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1454 [0]
Send PM
I've heard this recommendation before from many. Take a look at my situation...All my practice exams I'm scoring 700-730, but on my first try scored a 660. On my 2nd I crashed and burned with a 520! So now I'm coming up on my 3rd try. Hopefully this will be my last...if I can score a 680+ I'll be satisfied, but the way I look at it I have nothing to lose by continuing to take the test. Hopefully, I can get that 700 in the real thing. Why not keep taking? Because it will look bad to adcoms? In my opinion, what will look worse is applying with a 660 and getting rejected because of GMAT score. My opinion is to keep taking until you score what you want...who cares if it takes 10 tries. It shows you dedicated yourself to hitting your goal. Now also...I'm saying keep trying BUT also concentrate the same on your apps as you would if you hit a 700 the first time. Apps are just as important.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I agree, if you feel that you can break 700. But remember, GMAT is only 1 component of your overall app.

You can also consider building an alternate transcript as well (obviously A s) 700+ isn't the only way to convince adcom that you can handle the work.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
I thought I'd might chime in. Looking at how your scores move around so much, I think you have the ability to do very well, 700+ definitely. But time seems to be your problem. I would definitely plan a time thing, when I took the exam, I just looked at the time every 10 question knowing where I should be at about 10,20,30th questions.

There has been alot of good advice above, but here's 2 suggestions.

also 2 suggestions, since you say OG is too easy, I would use Kaplan CAT. that exam is rediculously hard, I scored about 80 points lower on that then the actual exam, and after every kaplan one, I felt drained.

Also what I did for studying, is I took exams with the TV on and radio on, (sounds crazy I know) but when the exam came, with the headphones on, I was in a zone.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 322 [0]
Send PM
What schools are you planning to attend? If you are looking into part time programs, they may be a tad less competitive than their full time counterparts. For instance:

Median/Avg score for part time chicago is 680/685.
Median/Avg score for part time kellogg is 695.
Median/Avg score for part tiem Ross is 665.

IMO, if I were you I would have let one of those admission consultants review my profile and then let her suggest whether GMAT improvement is mandatory in your case. If it is required, I guess then you have no option but to work on improving that score.
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Thanks all.

I got mixed advice on whether to retake the test, but it seems like that the GMAT is only a small part of the application juice. I have decided to move on to my application with my current score. I am applying for Columbia ED and I want to perfect my application sooner than later.

I am not a good standardized-test-taker, that is apparent when I scored 1240 in my SATs six years ago. However I still managed to get into Columbia undergrad and excelled. If test scores are just a measure of how well I can handle school work, I am pretty convinced that my GMAT does not reflect my ability to do well in business school curriculum.

I noticed that Columbia has an optional essay to address any weakness in my application. Is it a good idea to talk about my GMAT scores in this area?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
I'm applying to Columbia ED also whoo whoo! 1200 SAT and 640 GMAT's aren't bad in my opinion. As for writing an optional essay, I don't know if it would be helpful, since I don't know what you can say about it. I think you're in the range that you can just let the other part of the application speak for itself. Again in my Opinion.. Although after ED, I would think you may want to retake it again, since it does seems like you can definitely score much higher.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
TheFreedomAngel wrote:
Thanks all.

I got mixed advice on whether to retake the test, but it seems like that the GMAT is only a small part of the application juice. I have decided to move on to my application with my current score. I am applying for Columbia ED and I want to perfect my application sooner than later.

I am not a good standardized-test-taker, that is apparent when I scored 1240 in my SATs six years ago. However I still managed to get into Columbia undergrad and excelled. If test scores are just a measure of how well I can handle school work, I am pretty convinced that my GMAT does not reflect my ability to do well in business school curriculum.

I noticed that Columbia has an optional essay to address any weakness in my application. Is it a good idea to talk about my GMAT scores in this area?

You've got age on your side. You're only 24, so if you don't get in this year you will have the opportunity to improve your application and reapply in the coming years. Average age of 1st year MBA students is what, 27-28?

Also, don't give up on the GMAT. It took me three attempts to break through, and I am really glad I didn't give up after my 2nd disappointment. The timing if this year's application cycle may not give you the opportunity to retake, but don't give up on the GMAT if you end up applying next year.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts