It is currently 15 Dec 2017, 14:00

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Olin (St. Louis) R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Fuqua R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

First time practicing AWA. Any comment is welcome!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

First time practicing AWA. Any comment is welcome! [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2017, 15:44
Hi!

I've just come across this board and, well, there's quite a lot of stuff to learn here! I decide to practice the AWA with the same time limit as the real test(30 minutes) for the first time and it's somewhat subpar - as in, I ran out of time before I could type everything out. I'd appreciate it if anyone could grade my response below, along with any advice on how to manage my time for it.

I was also following chineseburned's infographic guide on how to write a 6.0 AWA, but my skill wasn't exactly up to the snuff yet - I remembered maybe half (or less) of his template while I was writing this response.
---
The prompt comes from the 2017 official guide:

"If the paper from every morning edition of the nation's largest newspaper were collected and rendered into paper pulp that the newspaper could reuse, about 5 million trees would be saved each year. This kind of recycling is unnecessary, however, since the newspaper maintains its own forests to ensure an uninterrupted supply of paper."
---
My response:

The argument states that a recycling effort, which it also claimed to save about 5 million trees per year using the paper from every morning edition of the nation's largest newspaper, is unnecessary since newspaper already maintains its own forests to ensure an uninterrupted supply of paper. This argument is very flawed due to missing key factors, such as its assumption that every newspaper owns forests to supply themselves or that the quoted figure of trees saved per year is valid.

First, the argument suggests that such a recycling effort is unnecessary since newspaper maintains its own forest in order to maintain an uninterrupted supply of paper. This is a very weak statement since it assumes that every large newspaper can afford or want to own its own primary supplier. With recent shift in technology, more and more news begin to migrate to the Internet, where the cost to publish is greatly minimize and the scope of its audience extends far beyond national boundary. What the argument should show, instead, is that there are other benefits to recycle paper besides the idea that newspaper are trying to ensure its survival by keeping a tight control over its supply line.

Second, the argument made a claim that 5 millions trees could be saved per year through the recycling effort. With zero proof to back this figure up, one cannot determine its validity. For example, some environmentalist group might have published this figure in order to further its agenda. Instead, this argument should have provided a reference to this figure, be it from an established scientist or company.
---
Edit: not sure why this post showed up twice on the board when I clicked only once. Sorry about that.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

First time practicing AWA. Any comment is welcome!   [#permalink] 06 Mar 2017, 15:44

First time practicing AWA. Any comment is welcome!

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap