GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Oct 2019, 18:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Fisrt GMAT prep practice 640 Q50 V27, need help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.37
Fisrt GMAT prep practice 640 Q50 V27, need help  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 00:28
Hello guys!

I have been planning my MBA journey for 3 months and just started to learn the GMAT. I didn't study the GMAT in details. And I have read half of the Math and Verbal guide on the OG19. I tooked 4 mock tests until now and did 65 practice questions in total:
- Hult online gmat mock: 480 in June
- LBS online gmat half test: 680-710 (for two times) Q51 V40 in August and September, Q and V for 32 questions each.
- LBS online gmat full test (old gmat format): 585 Q49 V25 in October
- GMAT official practice examen: 640 Q50 V27 in October

Please tell me how accurate they are? I know that most of people out there think the official practice examen to be the best. But the results are so different that I almost lost my confidence. Besides, it seems that my weekness is in SC and RC. The average time spent on those questions is 1:35.

Personal information:
- non native speaker; french and mandarin speaker
- Schedule for application: end of 2018 to March 2019
- Planned intake: Sept 2019 or Jan 2020

Thank you all.
V
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 2.77
WE: General Management (Other)
CAT Tests
Re: Fisrt GMAT prep practice 640 Q50 V27, need help  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 06:07
Hey hi,
I see you have given 4 different mock exams, and would like to inform you that the Official GMAT mocks are as close as it can get to the actual GMAT tests.

Please find below link with overview of different GMAT mock exams and will find the official GMAT mock exams are also recommended by everyone:-
https://gmatclub.com/forum/all-gmat-pra ... 28289.html

You have also mentioned that you are a non native English and would like to suggest the Egmat course which focuses mainly for verbal section:-
More details about various courses available with their strengths and weakness
https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-gmat-co ... ml?fl=menu

Also I would like to share some inspiring GMAT experiences of few others who have gone from 640 to a 700 score and above:-
https://gmatclub.com/forum/from-a-640-t ... 53403.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/640-to-760-o ... 88506.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/640-to-750-h ... 56812.html

If you find the post helpful hit the kudos button :grin:
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 15:14
Hi PierreWU,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. The most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC (the 2 free CATs, and each of the 2 that come with Exam Pack 1 and Exam Pack 2), so assuming that you took this most recent CAT in a realistic fashion, then we have to assume that your current 'ability level' is in the low-600s to mid-600s.

Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how your timeline and your goals:

1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) What are the exact application deadlines for the Schools that you plan to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
e-GMAT Representative
P

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2018, 23:56
Hi PierreWU,

GMAT Prep mocks are the closest there is to actual test. Coming to your preparation, ideally you shouldn’t start taking mocks until you have completed all the learning. Mock tests are not designed to teach. They only expose your strengths and weaknesses. OG is a good source for practice but it is not enough by itself. You must complement it with some source which will help you strengthen your concepts and process in the section that you are weak; verbal in your case.
    • Chintan gave too many mocks in his first attempt and ended up getting only a 630. In his second attempt, he realized his mistake, followed a methodical approach, got his fundamentals strong and improved to a 710. Click here to read his de-brief.
    • Murali (740) started his GMAT journey only by practicing questions from OG. Soon realized that it requires a methodical approach to ace GMAT. Click here to read his amazing debrief.
Average time of 1 min 35 seconds in RC is not bad and you should not consider that a parameter to think RC is your weak section. And the same is true for SC as well. While reference time is a good measure to know it is not possible for every student to stick to it and still maintain high accuracy. We recommend that you focus on getting more questions correct in the beginning than focusing on time alone. I think you will find this article on Timing Strategies to be useful in understanding how to manage time efficiently in GMAT.

Hope this helps! Please feel free to reach out to us at support@e-gmat.com for any further queries or clarifications.

Regards,
Aditee
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2018, 18:07
Hi PierreWU,

I’m glad you reached out, and I’m happy to help. First off, when you take practice tests from companies other than GMAC, you may find some variation in algorithms used and thus variations in your score. Thus, your official practice test score of 640 is the probably most accurate and actually a pretty good start!

That being said, I’m happy to provide some further advice but would like to learn some more about your situation with the GMAT, so please respond to the questions already asked.

You also may find my article with more information regarding
how to score a 700+ on the GMAT helpful.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Fisrt GMAT prep practice 640 Q50 V27, need help   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2018, 18:07

Fisrt GMAT prep practice 640 Q50 V27, need help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: souvonik2k