GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2019, 04:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: CBS '22 (S)
GMAT 1: 490 Q37 V22
GPA: 2.5
Re: Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 07:26
Background and nationality: I'm 29 years old, male, Egyptian.
Undergrad Information: I graduated from Ain Shams University's engineering school in Cairo, Egypt in 2013, (GPA ~ 2.5-3.0). Studied Civil Engineering. I consulted with CBS admission team since my university did not report a figure for my GPA and they advised me to write it as 0 in my application.
GMAT: Targeting 720+ score, did 3 GMAT official practice test scoring an average of 550 in the three exams and took the official GMAT last Saturday scoring a horrendous score of 490. I am now on a mission with an a comprehensive study plan to retake the exam by August 31 with my target score of at least 720.
Work experience and leadership: Worked as a civil engineer for one and half years, then joined a financial services firm working as a research equity analyst covering the industrial sector of the MENA region equity markets.
Community and others: I am a long time volunteer in the CFA society in Egypt serving in its branding committee helping raising public awareness of the society's role in the investment management and research profession; Other activities include some intermittent volunteering to charity organization in Egypt related to helping the poor in Egypt through material donations from backers of such activities.
Post MBA goals : To continue in the field of investment management (a field I chose to work in following for the past 3 years). I would like to join a mutual/hedge that adopts a value investing approach.
Anything else? I am applying for only CBS
Sia Admissions Representative
G
Affiliations: NYU, Yale

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2019, 10:24
Hi samjones2013,

I visited Egypt a few years ago; it's such a beautiful country with a very rich history, albeit poverty is prominent at every turn. I like that you are involved in helping the poor.

Placing "all eggs in one basket," as the saying goes, is risky. That said, you will require a 720+ GMAT especially because of your undergraduate performance (assuming the GPA listed is out of 4. scale system). The Columbia adcom needs to know you will be able to not only succeed in securing a job in Investment Management but also be able to succeed in the academically rigorous environment there.

Are you a CFA charterholder? If so, be sure to speak to that as well.

In your application, you should speak to the diversity of experience you bring to the table and demonstrate your ability to succeed through emphasizing your accomplishments. I welcome speaking further about your background and see how we can help you in this process. If interested, please reach out.

Good luck!

Susan

samjones2013 wrote:
Undergrad Information: I graduated from Ain Shams University's engineering school in Cairo, Egypt in 2013, (GPA ~ 2.5-3.0). Studied Civil Engineering. I consulted with CBS admission team since my university did not report a figure for my GPA and they advised me to write it as 0 in my application.
GMAT: Targeting 720+ score, did 3 GMAT official practice test scoring an average of 550 in the three exams and took the official GMAT last Saturday scoring a horrendous score of 490. I am now on a mission with an a comprehensive study plan to retake the exam by August 31 with my target score of at least 720.
Work experience and leadership: Worked as a civil engineer for one and half years, then joined a financial services firm working as a research equity analyst covering the industrial sector of the MENA region equity markets.
Community and others: I am a long time volunteer in the CFA society in Egypt serving in its branding committee helping raising public awareness of the society's role in the investment management and research profession; Other activities include some intermittent volunteering to charity organization in Egypt related to helping the poor in Egypt through material donations from backers of such activities.
Post MBA goals : To continue in the field of investment management (a field I chose to work in following for the past 3 years). I would like to join a mutual/hedge that adopts a value investing approach.

+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a complimentary profile evaluation
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: CBS '22 (S)
GMAT 1: 490 Q37 V22
GPA: 2.5

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2019, 06:06
SiaAdmissions wrote:
Hi samjones2013,

I visited Egypt a few years ago; it's such a beautiful country with a very rich history, albeit poverty is prominent at every turn. I like that you are involved in helping the poor.

Placing "all eggs in one basket," as the saying goes, is risky. That said, you will require a 720+ GMAT especially because of your undergraduate performance (assuming the GPA listed is out of 4. scale system). The Columbia adcom needs to know you will be able to not only succeed in securing a job in Investment Management but also be able to succeed in the academically rigorous environment there.

In your application, you should speak to the diversity of experience you bring to the table and demonstrate your ability to succeed through emphasizing your accomplishments. I welcome speaking further about your background and see how we can help you in this process. If interested, please reach out.

Good luck!

Susan

samjones2013 wrote:

Thank you so much Susan. I am applying within a month. I am a CFA level 2 candidate. thank you for offering your help, truly appreciate it.
Sia Admissions Representative
G
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2019, 06:09
samjones2013,

Happy to help, and good luck!

Susan

samjones2013 wrote:
SiaAdmissions wrote:
Hi samjones2013,

Good luck!

Susan

samjones2013 wrote:

Thank you so much Susan. I am applying within a month. I am a CFA level 2 candidate. thank you for offering your help, truly appreciate it.

+1 (646) 690 - 9996

Contact us for a complimentary profile evaluation
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2019, 14:12
Background and nationality: 27F Asian Indian from USA

Undergrad Information:
Public university, Chemical Engineering
GPA: 2.97 -- Ouch, I know. No real excuse, was super involved on campus (I wanted to do everything, especially my passion for outreach/education but I was still learning how to time manage. Maturity and experience has made me better about that now) and I really, REALLY struggled with organic chemistry (we had to take all the pre-med classes in our curriculum, it sucked)

GMAT: 750 (50Q, 41V)

Work experience:
- (Current) 2 yrs (will be almost 3 years by matriculation) Product Manager at a mid-size (~1000 employees) software company with a promotion after 1 year, leading a team of ~10 engineers (no direct reports). Presented at company conference to launch new features.
- Before that, my first job out of undergrad, ~3.5 yrs in tech consulting at a wall street bank (pick one JPM/GS/MS) with 1 promotion (rigid promotion cycle based on # of years)

Extracurriculars:
In college
- Worked all 4 years in the Engineering school's office of student outreach to help increase under-represented minorities in STEM careers (planning visits to inner-city HS, helped launch a summer program for SAT/college prep, helped students find and apply to scholarships)
- VP and Charity lead for a religious club that I was part of all 4 years (planned an annual charity dinner, local volunteering events at place of worship)
After college
- Participating in diversity networks at first company (wall street bank), helping with Girls Who Code events, campus recruiting, and helping to plan a consulting skills training week at HQ
- Founder and president of the diversity network at my current company. Launched the network within 3 months of joining, after meeting with HR and company founders for sponsorship. Since then, we have held several networking events, from social (happy hour) to educational (book talk/speakers). Personally developed the first official employee in-person training on discussing diversity at work, reaching ~100 employees in the first year. Currently have a network of ~150 members and allies.

Post MBA goals
Transition from product management to strategy
Intern
Intern
Schools: CBS '22
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.21
Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Aug 2019, 11:42
Nationality:Zimbabwe
Sex: Male
Education: Bachelors in Economics with emphasis on statistics and math from a Top 50 State School
GPA: 3.2
Lower GPA is due to transfer from small, private school to large state school in Junior year.
3.2 GPA is a split between 3.5 at the private school and 2.9 at the state school (my last 4 semesters). Drop in grades is due to difficulty of adjusting to a radically different learning environment, need to work part-time to support myself and the need to take an extra class in order to graduate on time.
I transferred because financial instability in my family forced me to attend a cheaper school, I thus applied and received a scholarship to the state school, leaving the private school at the end of my Sophomore year.
GMAT: 710
Work Experience: 3 years at BB(think JP Morgan, Morgan Stanley, Goldman Sachs) IB firm as Corporate Finance Analyst/Associate. Was promoted to Associate quickly and relocated to work with the CFO of the bank's Private Equity Division in New York City. Very strong performer.
Volunteer Experience: Worked with several immigration and refugee focused non-profits as a volunteer and coordinator for events. Have been volunteering consistently for 2 years.

I am interested in strategy consulting for businesses interested in working in South Africa. I would like to be based in Africa for a few years, working with an international strategy consulting firm doing business in South Africa.

Thank you for taking a look!
GMAT Club Bot
Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2019, 11:42

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   [ 186 posts ] 

Fit for Columbia? Post profiles here!

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Zakyfish22