GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2018, 18:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

For any integers a, b, c, and d, sechigh(a, b, c, d) is the second...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Premium Member CAT Tests
For any integers a, b, c, and d, sechigh(a, b, c, d) is the second...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2018, 10:09
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

56% (02:19) correct 44% (02:40) wrong based on 43 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

For any integers a, b, c, and d, sechigh(a, b, c, d) is the second highest integer when the integers are placed in an ordered list. For example sechigh(2, 5, 4, 6) = 5 and sechigh(6, 5, 3, 6) = 6 . For the integer y, what is the value of sechigh(6, 7, 11, y)?

(1) y = sechigh (7, 13, 12, x) for some integer x.

(2) y = sechigh (7, 13, 8, z) for some integer z.

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

Director
Director
G
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Premium Member CAT Tests
For any integers a, b, c, and d, sechigh(a, b, c, d) is the second...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2018, 11:38
CAMANISHPARMAR wrote:
For any integers a, b, c, and d, sechigh(a, b, c, d) is the second highest integer when the integers are placed in an ordered list. For example sechigh(2, 5, 4, 6) = 5 and sechigh(6, 5, 3, 6) = 6 . For the integer y, what is the value of sechigh(6, 7, 11, y)?

(2) y = sechigh (7, 13, 8, z) for some integer z.

case 1
x>13
y =13

case 2
x< 12
y=12

in any case sechigh(given set) = 11

sufficient.

(2) y = sechigh (7, 13, 8, z) for some integer z

case 1
z > 13
y = 13

case 2
8< z< 13
y=z

case 3
x < 8
y = 8

insufficient

A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: For any integers a, b, c, and d, sechigh(a, b, c, d) is the second...  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Aug 2018, 16:58
Official Answer:

This problem contains a Formula. Since formulas are rules that apply only in the specific problem, take your time to understand what the formula means: sechigh is equal to the second highest integer in the group. The question asks what the value of sechigh is for a specific group of integers containing one variable. Consider the possible scenarios depending on the value of y because y is the only unknown value in the set.

1) If y ≤ 7 then the sechigh(y, 6, 7, 11) = 7

2) If 7 < y < 11 then sechigh(6, 7, y, 11) = y

3) If y ≥ 11 then sechigh(6, 7, 11, y) = 11

What do these scenarios mean about the information needed to answer the question? If Scenario (1) or (3) applies, you don’t need the exact value of y to answer the question; you just need to know enough to know that scenario applies. If Scenario (2) applies, you need to know the value of y to answer the question.

y ≤ 7 ?

y ≥ 11 ?

if not, y = ?

(1) SUFFICIENT: Think about the different possible values for sechigh (7, 13, 12, x) depending on the value of x.

If x ≤ 12 then sechigh (7, x, 12, 13) = 12.

If x > 12 then sechigh (7, 12, 13, x) = 13.

Since sechigh (7, 13, 12, x) = y it must be true that y = 12 or y = 13. In either of these cases, Scenario (3) applies because y is greater than 11; the answer to the question is 11. Since there is only one value possible, this statement is SUFFICIENT. Eliminate choices (B), (C), and (E).

(2) INSUFFICIENT: Think about the different possible values for sechigh (7, 13, 8, z) depending on the value of z.

If z ≤ 8 then sechigh (7, z, 8, 13) = 8.

If 8 < z < 13 sechigh (7, 8, z, 13) = z.

If z ≥ 13 then sechigh (7, 8, 13, z) = 13.

Since the result of this formula is equal to y that means y could be any integer between 8 and 13 inclusive: 8 ≤ y ≤ 13. These value mean that Scenario (2) or (3) from the question might apply. So the answer to the question could be 11 or y if y < 11. Since more than one value is possible, this statement is INSUFFICIENT. Eliminate choice (D).

The correct answer is (A).

"Please hit :thumbup: +1 Kudos if you like this post" :student_man:

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me"

Re: For any integers a, b, c, and d, sechigh(a, b, c, d) is the second... &nbs [#permalink] 19 Aug 2018, 16:58

For any integers a, b, c, and d, sechigh(a, b, c, d) is the second...

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap