GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 13 Dec 2018, 10:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • GMATbuster's Weekly GMAT Quant Quiz, Tomorrow, Saturday at 9 AM PST

December 14, 2018

December 14, 2018

09:00 AM PST

10:00 AM PST

10 Questions will be posted on the forum and we will post a reply in this Topic with a link to each question. There are prizes for the winners.
  • The winning strategy for 700+ on the GMAT

December 13, 2018

December 13, 2018

08:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

What people who reach the high 700's do differently? We're going to share insights, tips and strategies from data we collected on over 50,000 students who used examPAL.

For decades mirrors have been used to trigger aggressive responses in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
For decades mirrors have been used to trigger aggressive responses in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 05:32
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (00:40) correct 38% (00:36) wrong based on 112 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

For decades mirrors have been used to trigger aggressive responses in territorial and less self-aware species such as birds or fish, but a new study revealed that in many cases the fish did not react to its own reflection as it was to a rival fish.

A. was to a
B. it reacted; just to a
C. it did to a
D. it would to a
E. its

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Want to improve your Score:
GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

SC Moderator
V
Re: For decades mirrors have been used to trigger aggressive responses in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 05:36
Vinodsai1995 - Can you help me understand ... why C is the answer ? A detail POE will help :)

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 1| GMAT Ninja YouTube! Series 2 | How to Improve GMAT Quant from Q49 to a Perfect Q51

My Notes:
Reading comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Absolute Phrases | Subjunctive Mood

Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests
For decades mirrors have been used to trigger aggressive responses in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 07:03
Both C and D looks correct. I chose D over C as D is more hypothetical and a reaction of a fish to it's rival may not have happened and looks better of the two.

Upon re-reading, I realize C is better grammatically as DO should follow would and to be silent, it should be used earlier in the sentence.

Here DID is used earlier and A Fish DID not react to X as it would (DID) to Y doesn't sound right.

Waiting for OE on this.
SC Moderator
V
Re: For decades mirrors have been used to trigger aggressive responses in  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 07:12
rahul6019 - You should take care for parallel structure first. The fish is reacting to its own reflection and rival's. Both of these should create right structure.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:

My Notes:

Manager
Manager
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 07:16
aragonn - I have modified my answer above. Can you tell me if it's correct?
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 08:17
+C

For decades mirrors have been used to trigger aggressive responses in territorial and less self-aware species such as birds or fish, but a new study revealed that in many cases the fish did not react to its own reflection as it was to a rival fish.

A. was to a
B. it reacted; just to a
C. it did to a
D. it would to a
E. its

Honestly i was looking for as it did to the reflection of a rival fish , but there is norm in comparing the reaction to its reflection to reaction to a rival fish because at te end we are comparing reactions only.

So C for me

Others do not make sense

A. was to a - Fish did not react to its own reflection as Fish was to rival fish
B. it reacted; just to a- As fish reacted; ( absolutely incomplete) ; Just to a rival fish ( what is just to doing here )
C. it did to a - CORRECT for reason mentioned above
D. it would to a - as it would to a rival fish ( its a conditional would but the study has already happened in past and the result is known )
E. its - Fish did not react to its own reflection as its rival fish ( the construction will have to entirely different to make sense out of this one .On the lines of- Fish did not react to its rival fish did

you are welcome to point the errors out .i would be grateful

Thanks
Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 19:04
I chose C but I could see D being correct as well. For me, if you replace did with reacted, you get the answer and I assumed the did refers to reacted.
SC Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 01 Dec 2018, 19:46
You need to understand the meaning ----- we are talking about a historical event. 2 things in past. both already happened. using would means you are comparing a past event with a hypothetical one. does not making sense. D can not be answer.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:

My Notes:

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Dec 2018, 23:13
Hey guys! Thanks for posting.

My bet on this: Answer (D) "would" expresses a conditional, over that something that might happen in the future, if a condition is fullfilled. However, here we are talking about an observation in the past.
Hence, conditional is incorrect

Only posible remaining answer is (C), as it respestcs the past tense in both side of the sentence.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: For decades mirrors have been used to trigger aggressive responses in &nbs [#permalink] 04 Dec 2018, 23:13

For decades mirrors have been used to trigger aggressive responses in

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap