Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 09:53 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 09:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2804 [83]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64895 [32]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [7]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: Leadership, Finance
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618772 [2]
Given Kudos: 81587
Send PM
Re: For the writers who first gave feudalism its name, the existence of fe [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rohitgoel15 wrote:
For the writers who first gave feudalism its name, the existence of feudalism presupposed the existence of a noble class. Yet there cannot be a noble class, properly speaking, unless both the titles that indicate superior, noble status and the inheritance of such titles are sanctioned by law. Although feudalism existed in Europe as early as the eighth century, it was not until the twelfth century, when many feudal institutions were in decline, that the hereditary transfer of legally recognized titles of nobility first appeared.

The statements above, if true, most strongly support which one of the following claims?

(A) To say that feudalism by definition requires the existence of a nobility is to employ a definition that distorts history.

(B) Prior to the twelfth century, the institution of European feudalism functioned without the presence of a dominant class.

(C) The fact that a societal group has a distinct legal status is not in itself sufficient to allow that group to be properly considered a social class.

(D) The decline of feudalism in Europe was the only cause of the rise of a European nobility.

(E) The prior existence of feudal institutions is a prerequisite for the emergence of a nobility, as defined in the strictest sense of the term.

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

(A) Yes. According to the passage, feudalism existed in Europe from the eighth century to the twelfth century, which preceded the existence of a nobility. Hence, to say that feudalism requires the existence of a nobility contradicts history.

(B) No. This is the second-best choice. Choice (A) is better because it refers to the main idea of the passage that feudalism does not presuppose the existence of a noble class. Also choice (B) has a flaw in that we don’t know whether “dominant class” is synonymous with “noble class.”

(C) No. The opposite, however, is somewhat implied: The noble class was not deemed a social class until its titles were sanctioned by law.

(D) No. The passage implies that there was little or no cause and effect between nobility and feudalism.

(E) No. The passage implies that there was little or no cause and effect between nobility and feudalism.
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 2377 [4]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
Send PM
Re: For the writers who first gave feudalism its name, the existence of fe [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Conclusion :

The coexistence of feudalism and noble class is NOT to be treated causal in nature. Law is required to sanction titles of nobility. However its not true that existence of feudalism required the existence of noble class.

B, D and E contradict the arg.

C has no bearing on the argument.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 548 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Kudos
I pick E, but I think I understand why A is right now.

Argument:

History: Feudalism is in the same time with noble class, in 8th century.
Nobility, first appear in 12th century.

A - Nobility appear first Feudalism is wrong according to history ==> Like what the argument said

B - Dominant class could be king, knights... we don't know, so we can't say for sure feudaslim functioned without a dominant class -> WRONG

C - Societal group and social class were not discussed -> Out of scope -> WRONG

D - "The only cause" -> Too extreme, without proper evidence in the argument -> WRONG

E - Feudal institutions is a prerequisite of nobility -> sound like Feudal is a MUST for nobility to happen, there is no evidence in the argument suggest that -> WRONG
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 161 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
WE:Sales (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
"Although feudalism existed in Europe as early as the eighth century, it was not until the twelfth century, when many feudal institutions were in decline, that the hereditary transfer of legally recognized titles of nobility first appeared."
so feudalism appears first and then comes the nobility titles and the reverse will be distort the history------>A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
For the writers who first gave feudalism its name, the existence of feudalism presupposed the existence of a noble class. Yet there cannot be a noble class, properly speaking, unless both the titles that indicate superior, noble status and the inheritance of such titles are sanctioned by law. Although feudalism existed in Europe as early as the eighth century, it was not until the twelfth century, when many feudal institutions were in decline, that the hereditary transfer of legally recognized titles of nobility first appeared.

The statements above, if true, most strongly support which one of the following claims?

A. To say that feudalism by definition requires the existence of a nobility is to employ a definition that distorts history.

B. Prior to the twelfth century, the institution of European feudalism functioned without the presence of a dominant class.

C. The fact that a societal group has a distinct legal status is not in itself sufficient to allow that group to be properly considered a social class.

D. The decline of feudalism in Europe was the only cause of the rise of a European nobility.

E. The prior existence of feudal institutions is a prerequisite for the emergence of a nobility, as defined in the strictest sense of the term.

I think I've seen this in the official guide. Brilliant question none the less.
The key to answering this was understanding the link between the premises. If you missed it, you're most likely picking B as I was tempted to do, before I gathered myself and re-read my notes.

Writers presupposed the existence of a noble class.
BUT, noble class cannot exist unless sanctioned by law.
Feudalism however, existed as early as 8th century, BUT was only recognised by 12th century.

Writers say for 'F' to exist, 'NC' must have always existed.
BUT 'F' existed by 8th century, and was only recognised by 12th century.

A - 'F' requires 'NC' to exist goes against history. KEEP.
B - dominant classes could have existed prior to 8th century, they just might not have been recognised. OUT. A is better.
C - Legal status is not equal to social class. Same as B really. OUT.
D - Only cause? This is over-stretching. OUT.
E - Existence of institution is neither under discussion, nor a necessity. OUT.

A wins!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
(A) To say that feudalism by definition requires the existence of a nobility is to employ a definition that distorts history.
Since the 8 th century we didn't have nobility doesn't rule out the complete existence of it hence it definitely distorts history

(B) Prior to the twelfth century, the institution of European feudalism functioned without the presence of a dominant class.
We cannot rule out the exisrtence of noble classes during the prexistence of feudalism

(C) The fact that a societal group has a distinct legal status is not in itself sufficient to allow that group to be properly considered a social class.
Here to we cannot determine whether nobility was one among social class or a higher class

(D) The decline of feudalism in Europe was the only cause of the rise of a European nobility.
We cannot fetermine this was the only cause one among many factors

(E) The prior existence of feudal institutions is a prerequisite for the emergence of a nobility, as defined in the strictest sense of the term.
First of all i eleminated above passage soley on the basis of strong language you can be assured Gmat won't employ such strong language from there on to the point we cannot determine whether it was sufficient condition or one among the conditions
Hence IMO E
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
rohitgoel15 wrote:

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

(A) Yes. According to the passage, feudalism existed in Europe from the eighth century to the twelfth century, which preceded the existence of a nobility. Hence, to say that feudalism requires the existence of a nobility contradicts history.

(B) No. This is the second-best choice. Choice (A) is better because it refers to the main idea of the passage that feudalism does not presuppose the existence of a noble class. Also choice (B) has a flaw in that we don’t know whether “dominant class” is synonymous with “noble class.”

(C) No. The opposite, however, is somewhat implied: The noble class was not deemed a social class until its titles were sanctioned by law.

(D) No. The passage implies that there was little or no cause and effect between nobility and feudalism.

(E) No. The passage implies that there was little or no cause and effect between nobility and feudalism.

Hi Bunuel,

Thanks for sharing the explanation. I'm still trying to get my head around this one. See, I chose B over A because A mentioned that author indicates a distortion in history which is not mentioned in the passage anywhere (but agree that it can be inferred).

On the other hand, I was able to solve for both the limitations that you mentioned for option B
1. It is not the main idea, but the question stem asks which claim is most supported, and I have seen plentiful questions where the correct answer is just true and not the main idea
2. The equation of noble class with dominant class seemed fine to me because it is referred to as 'superior' in the passage. Agree that its still a long shot inference.

How do you suggest I pivot my pre-thinking while choosing between A and B. Would be super helpful

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts