It is currently 20 Aug 2017, 14:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Former Harvard Admissions Interviewer Q & A

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
Admission Consultant
B
Affiliations: Harvard University

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 4

Former Harvard Admissions Interviewer Q & A [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2015, 12:19
Thinking of applying to HBS this year? I'm a former Harvard interviewer and a Harvard graduate, and would be happy to use this post as an informal Q & A, if anyone has any questions.

You can read more about my credentials here, at: www.MBAIvyLeague.com

Former Harvard admissions interviewer and Harvard grad, currently running the award-winning MBA & EMBA admission firm and blog: http://www.MBAIvyLeague.com. Contact me for a free consultation today!

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Schools: HBS '18 (A)
Re: Former Harvard Admissions Interviewer Q & A [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2015, 23:54
I will be a re-applicant to HBS this year. I interviewed last year, was then placed on the waitlist, but then released.

How should I go about preparing my strategy? Should I just focus on how I've improved since my last application, or give another all-round picture of myself? Any other tips for a re-applicant?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Jun 2015, 20:39
Hi, thank you for your question and sorry it has taken me a few days to get back to you. There are two things you need to consider when reapplying:

1. Has your story in fact changed since your previous application? Was there a promotion, or have you've worked on a project at work that either increased your level of responsibility (in terms of number of people you manage, or in terms of financials or budget)? These are the specific things the schools look for -- so, to summarize this point, what I am really asking, and what you should ask yourself is, HAS anything actually changed?

2. The second thing to look at, is the fact that perhaps your application didn't advance to the next level for a reason. Perhaps your essays were weaker than they should have been, or your goals weren't clearly defined. I've written two blog posts here:https://mbaivyleague.wordpress.com/2015/03/26/dinged-why-your-mba-application-didnt-make-it/

and here: https://mbaivyleague.wordpress.com/2014 ... lications/

...that may help your focus in on the problem. Beyond that, I would also reexamine your interview and what transpired with someone who may be able to help you dissect it for any weaknesses or issues. You first need to discover where the weakness lies to then strengthen it.

That is what I work on with my own clients, and would be happy to work with you. The above though should give you some general guidelines to strengthening your reapplication. The fact that you did get on the waitlist at Harvard tells me you weren't so far off, but still, they didn't choose you, so you need to do something different to figure out the problem this time around.

Hope that helps!

Jillian
MBA Ivy League
(646) 276-7042
www.MBAIvyLeague.com

Former Harvard admissions interviewer and Harvard grad, currently running the award-winning MBA & EMBA admission firm and blog: http://www.MBAIvyLeague.com. Contact me for a free consultation today!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 09 Jun 2015, 12:31
Hi!Thanks for doing this. My Questions:
1. Does HBS have an unofficial GPA cutoff?
2. Can a really high GMAT (or any other exceptional piece of the application) make up for a very low GPA? I'm currently a senior really interested in the 2+2 program but I'm worried my GPA might put me out of the running even though the rest of my application is pretty decent?
3. Specifically for the 2+2 program, is there any disadvantage to applying R3?

TY!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Jun 2015, 19:51
1. No, there is really no cutoff, though obviously a higher GPA is always going to be better!
2. Yes, a high GMAT score can offset a low GPA, and in general the schools tend to value the GMAT over GPA, as it gets rid of the ambivalence in criteria when comparing schools = especially internationally, for non-U.S. students.
3. R3 is a viable round, there are usually just more spots open (and so less competition for those spots) when you applying earlier.

Hope that helps!
Jillian
MBA Ivy League
(646) 276-7042
MBAIvyLeagueConsulting@gmail.com
www.MBAIvyLeague.com

Re: Former Harvard Admissions Interviewer Q & A   [#permalink] 10 Jun 2015, 19:51