It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 13:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

free time at b-school

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: Darden Class of 2013
Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 1834

Kudos [?]: 393 [0], given: 37

Schools: University of Virginia
free time at b-school [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2010, 22:19
Hi all, I've all of a sudden had a question in regards to what b-school students do during free time. I ask this because I'm a pretty big gamer and while I know how to control my time in terms of gaming, I'd like to know that from time to time if I'll still be able to game a little. Are there gamers in b-schools? Or am I just completely out of the norm? I'm especially excited about WoW's newest expansion (cataclysm) (yes, don't hate :P ) and Diablo 3, whenver that's coming out.

And ya, I think I'll probably continue to game until I'm 85 or until I develop carpel tunnel syndrome, unless of course, school and work do not permit enough time.
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 393 [0], given: 37

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 05 Mar 2008
Posts: 1468

Kudos [?]: 300 [2], given: 31

Re: free time at b-school [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2010, 06:54
2
This post received
KUDOS
bakfed wrote:
Hi all, I've all of a sudden had a question in regards to what b-school students do during free time. I ask this because I'm a pretty big gamer and while I know how to control my time in terms of gaming, I'd like to know that from time to time if I'll still be able to game a little. Are there gamers in b-schools? Or am I just completely out of the norm? I'm especially excited about WoW's newest expansion (cataclysm) (yes, don't hate :P ) and Diablo 3, whenver that's coming out.

And ya, I think I'll probably continue to game until I'm 85 or until I develop carpel tunnel syndrome, unless of course, school and work do not permit enough time.


Think back to when you were a kid and imagine your parents playing video games. The thought is hilarious. Times have changed and now we will be playing games with our kids. Funny to think about.

Back to the original question. You will have time I'm sure. Don't think you will have lots of time, but you will have time here and there.

Kudos [?]: 300 [2], given: 31

2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 11 Dec 2006
Posts: 1430

Kudos [?]: 223 [2], given: 6

Location: New York, NY
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Re: free time at b-school [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2010, 07:40
2
This post received
KUDOS
One of the girls I went to school with was HUGE in WoW. As in developed a leading marketplace on there or somesuch.

I tuned out when I realized she was talking about elves, otherwise I might be able to provide more information.

In the final semester there was a contingent of people involved in large-scale games of Football Manager during Game Theory classes (said class often also clashed with Champions League football, which meant there were about four machines on all of the available ESPN 360 channels).

I think most people are relatively moderate in their gaming, so I am sure you will be at an extreme, but it shouldn't really pose a problem.
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 223 [2], given: 6

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: Darden Class of 2013
Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 1834

Kudos [?]: 393 [1], given: 37

Schools: University of Virginia
Re: free time at b-school [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2010, 08:00
1
This post received
KUDOS
good to know, folks, good to know.

I am, by no means, one of those addicted gamers who sit home all day just to play games. I play moderately, but seeing how busy things get in b-school, I just got curious if there are even gamers in b-schools.

Thanks for the feedback though!
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 393 [1], given: 37

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Status: Burning mid-night oil....daily
Joined: 07 Nov 2008
Posts: 2400

Kudos [?]: 746 [1], given: 548

Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Reviews Badge
Re: free time at b-school [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2010, 08:01
1
This post received
KUDOS
3underscore wrote:
In the final semester there was a contingent of people involved in large-scale games of Football Manager during Game Theory classes (said class often also clashed with Champions League football, which meant there were about four machines on all of the available ESPN 360 channels).

:shock:

OMG! We do this @ YSOM too! Except, replace "Football Manager" with "Championship Manager 2010" and "ESPN 360" with "skipping class altogether and find a dark irish bar"
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 746 [1], given: 548

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Posts: 937

Kudos [?]: 236 [1], given: 113

Location: New Haven
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Reviews Badge
Re: free time at b-school [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Oct 2010, 18:43
1
This post received
KUDOS
not a lot of people that i know play games, but some definitely do. you'll have free time; it's just that you will most likely wind up spending that time doing other things (like going to the gym, or going out drinking).

i brought my TV and my ps3 to my new apt at school, but a month went by before i actually hooked them up. the first month or so of school comes at you very quickly, so gaming won't be too high on anyone's list.
_________________

GMAT Debrief

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 236 [1], given: 113

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
avatar
Status: Darden Class of 2013
Joined: 28 Jul 2009
Posts: 1834

Kudos [?]: 393 [1], given: 37

Schools: University of Virginia
Re: free time at b-school [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2010, 09:03
1
This post received
KUDOS
shadowsjc wrote:
not a lot of people that i know play games, but some definitely do. you'll have free time; it's just that you will most likely wind up spending that time doing other things (like going to the gym, or going out drinking).

i brought my TV and my ps3 to my new apt at school, but a month went by before i actually hooked them up. the first month or so of school comes at you very quickly, so gaming won't be too high on anyone's list.


Does that mean now you're actually playing the ps3? :P
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 393 [1], given: 37

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Mar 2010
Posts: 412

Kudos [?]: 47 [1], given: 26

Location: Europe
Re: free time at b-school [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2010, 09:44
1
This post received
KUDOS
lagomez wrote:
You will have time I'm sure. Don't think you will have lots of time, but you will have time here and there.

If I recall correctly from IMD's website, they announce a 14 hours work day :shock:

Kudos [?]: 47 [1], given: 26

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
User avatar
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Posts: 937

Kudos [?]: 236 [1], given: 113

Location: New Haven
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Reviews Badge
Re: free time at b-school [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2010, 07:47
1
This post received
KUDOS
bakfed wrote:
shadowsjc wrote:
not a lot of people that i know play games, but some definitely do. you'll have free time; it's just that you will most likely wind up spending that time doing other things (like going to the gym, or going out drinking).

i brought my TV and my ps3 to my new apt at school, but a month went by before i actually hooked them up. the first month or so of school comes at you very quickly, so gaming won't be too high on anyone's list.


Does that mean now you're actually playing the ps3? :P


nah, i actually unplugged it after playing it once. i do watch TV on sundays for football, and occasionally for other sports games. maybe once midterms are over i can get the ps3 back on though
_________________

GMAT Debrief

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 236 [1], given: 113

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Posts: 256

Kudos [?]: 18 [1], given: 1

Location: Washington, DC
Schools: Ross 2010
Re: free time at b-school [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2010, 10:01
1
This post received
KUDOS
I guess it just depends how you allocate your free time. I know people would get together at someone's house from time to time and play rock band or guitar hero or Wii. Never heard of anyone playing the games you mentioned.

On a side note we actually did a case study and simulation on Wow in marketing....haha

Kudos [?]: 18 [1], given: 1

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2010
Posts: 6

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: free time at b-school [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Oct 2010, 01:22
I just watch movies. It's a good way to veg out for an hour and a half, then get back to work

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: free time at b-school   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2010, 01:22
Display posts from previous: Sort by

free time at b-school

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.