Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:11 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [22]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q41 V28
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 203 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [5]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 588
Send PM
Re: From 590 to 740 in a month! [#permalink]
Congratulations on your great score. Could help to shed some light. I have this problem. I have read the concept book and done few questions, but when I attempted the mock CAT, I get confused with the questions. How do you strengthen your understanding and able to answer the questions correctly based on the theory that you have read.
Hope to hear from you.

Many thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
apple08 wrote:
Congratulations on your great score. Could help to shed some light. I have this problem. I have read the concept book and done few questions, but when I attempted the mock CAT, I get confused with the questions. How do you strengthen your understanding and able to answer the questions correctly based on the theory that you have read.
Hope to hear from you.

Many thanks

It's normal to feel overwhelmed at first. The GMAT is designed so that every question you see, it's a new challenge that you feel you have never seen before... Now that you know the theory, the best way to develop your skills is through practicing.

How long have you been studying? You mentioned you've done a few questions? If you're not in a time rush, don't do the CATs yet. Save them for later, especially that you get a limited amount. I suggest taking the time to do more problems from the OG, as all the problems there are from past GMAT exams. Make sure you do this under timed conditions. 2 min per question, Max 2:30-2:45, but only if you think you can get the question right. Otherwise move on and work on the solution later. Time management skill is crucial in doing well on the GMAT. In my opinion, that is the absolute worst and hardest part of the exam.

Some wise advice that really helped me: Don't be discouraged by your mistakes. Be happy if you make mistakes! the more mistakes you make, the more you can learn from them. And you are less prone to making the same mistake on the actual exam.

Now as you do the problems, take the time to review each problem. The best way to improve is to analyze what was the mistake in your approach. Were you able to recognize what the question was asking? was it a rates word problem or a disguised statistics problem? At which part did you get confused? Do not move on in your studying until you understand what was wrong in your thought process and can repeat the solution for each problem that you got missed. Always keep an error log and review your errors later on in your studies as well. There's many ways to learn from your mistakes: Copy and paste the question into google, I'm sure there's already a discussion on a forum for the question and you can see various approaches people took to solve the question.

I don't know what books you are using. I used MGMAT and for any question I got wrong, I used their GMAT navigator software where often, they have video solutions to many questions. Those really helped me understand since the person explaining it goes step by step through their logic to solve the question. Also, as mentioned before, for logic I thought the Thursdays with Ron videos were great.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT Date: 02-02-2015
GPA: 3.86
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
jul126 wrote:
I can't believe I'm writing this! I read a lot of helpful posts on how people improved their grade, but never expected it to work so well for me, especially that I never got higher than 690 on any practice test! So if I can do it, you can too. The forums have really helped me in my studying so I would like to share my own experience, hoping that it could be beneficial to someone. I only had 30 days to improve my score in order to make it for the application deadlines.

I scored a sad 590 (Q41, V28) in my first attempt in April. I was scoring 610-680 on my practice tests, but I really managed to screw up on the test day.

Mistakes I made:
- I didn't read any forums. Since I was in a panicked rush to do the exam, I asked a friend who had already passed it what I should do. He said to buy the OG book. That is all I did. There was absolutely no strategy involved in my studying. The OG is the best for practice problems, but you also NEED to strategize on the GMAT. Most of the test is not about what you know, but how you can outsmart the actual exam. It's not like any university exams for those people, including me, who haven't done a standardized test before.
- on the day of the exam, I "cared" too much. I did not manage my time appropriately at all and spent too much time and effort trying to get every question right. It resulted in me not finishing my integrative reasoning section (scoring a sad 3) and having to guess 11 remaining questions on the Quant section
- For verbal, I had 3 bold face CR questions. I didn't practice/improve those skills during my studying as I thought the bold questions weren't common, and I believe that was one of my weaknesses. If you're not good at something, make sure to improve the skill.
- Be afraid to guess and move on. You HAVE TO DO THIS in order to optimize your score. It's absolutely counter-intuitive, I know. But this is how you beat the GMAT. Get the points where you can. An extra minute you spend on one problem is an extra minute you can use to get another one right. I guessed a lot on my 740 score exam. I had NO idea I scored remotely so well, until I saw the score.
- I was obsessed with doing as many practice problems as I could. But for the GMAT, It's quality over quantity. Better to take time to understand each problem you do, and take the time to review it. If you make a mistake, note that question number in your log and make sure to review it later.

Strategies that helped me: (not in any particular order)
- I bought the 10 MGMAT strategy guide (Manhattan Prep) and went through all the books as quickly as I could (I only had 30 days total to improve my score for this round). As my time was limited, I didn't have time to practice all the problem sets, but I made sure to do the recommended midterm and final tests (moderate and hard) for each book
- Used the MGMAT navigator that came with the book. The video solutions were great! and even the written solutions are much better than the ones in the OG
- Joined the beat the gmat Verbal and Math question of the day (they email you a question every day)
- I had an error log. Yes, everyone will tell you how annoying it is but that it's useful. It's not AS bad as I imagined. I simply would write down in an excel spreadsheet all the questions I got wrong, and why I thought I got them wrong (careless mistake, missing the concept knowledge, or perhaps just a really tough question). It's equally as important to record your careless calculation mistakes to analyze whether you have any pattern for those. Keep good track of your errors to see which are your weak areas... for example- percentages or evaluate the argument CR questions, etc.
- The MGMAT general strategy guide suggested developing a one-minute timer, where you try to estimate every passing minute. That helped me with my huge time management issue, but the best way to improve time management was to set up my answer sheets in the grid style they suggest (5 problems per page for Quant, remaining minutes written at the top). REALLY really useful, I cannot express the importance of that enough. I knew exactly which question I should be at with the remaining time. It helped me keep track of time and not focus on calculating which question I should be at.

- For critical reasoning, think like the GMAT. Try to think from their point of view and what they want you to answer. Before reading the answer choices, try to predict the answer yourself - think of what could weaken/strengthen/needs to be assumed. For me, the MGMAT critical reasoning book really helped. Especially for those boldface questions that previously seemed impossible! Now I probably get 19/20 of those right! :)
- For reading comprehension, again, try to think like the GMAT. What do they want from you. The MGMAT book helped me identify all the types of wrong answer choices they like to trick you with. The worse one is when they state something true from the text, but it's not the right answer to the question. Watch out for those! I really improved my RC with that book. I went from getting 1/10 to getting about 8/10 questions right.
- For sentence correction, just learn the idiom rules, practice questions... its just grammar. The more you study, the better you do.

- My weak points were Quant (extremely ironic, I'm an engineer. Still can't figure that one out!) as well as Reading comprehension. For the Problem solving questions, the biggest mistake I would make is to start trying to solve immediately, using algebra (it's the engineer in me). The Quant part is not a math exam, it's not traditional, no one is going to check how you got your answer. Quite often, it's better and quicker to use the answer choices and back solve to see if they fit the question, or to pick numbers. I had to often remind myself and get rid of the algebra solving habit in order to improve my problem solving skills.
- data sufficiency is my worst enemy. I still can't say I'm any good at those questions, but at least I learned to solve them strategically. I would say the biggest help for DS is to listen to the Thursdays with Ron videos (vimeo. com/manhattanprep/videos it won't let me post the link properly ). He taught me about the infamous C trap, as well as some other useful techniques to solve data sufficiency questions.
- Practice your guessing skills first, on every question. Then try to opt for the answer. You will get better at guessing which will help you on the day of the exam. It's inevitable to have to guess some questions.
- I saw somewhere on a forum that GMAT club has practice tests you can subscribe to. Those were good for studying as well
- The last step of my studying this week consisted of trying some practice tests. I scored 610, 690 and then 590 on my MGMAT practice tests. I was so disappointed. Nothing had changed after a whole month of studying so hard. I think the 590 was just because of exhaustion. I couldn't focus anymore.

Having said all of this, the MGMAT practice tests were actually much harder than the exam. I had no idea how I was performing during the exam itself, except that I managed to stay within the time limit much easier than on the MGMAT practice tests. I now realize the practice tests were very good, they were much harder than the exam itself and really trained me for it. (Although they did demoralize me a lot). I kept my focus during the exam, I stayed within the timelines and was not afraid to guess some questions. Needless to say, since I never scored above 690, I nearly jumped for joy when I saw my score of 740. The miracle GMAT stories I was reading in these forums are in fact... possible!

I hope I didn't forget anything in the strategies I mentioned above. I definitely recommend the MGMAT 10 strategy guides. Feel free to ask me any questions if you need clarification on anything. Best of luck to everyone!! Most important is... Don't give up!!!
:)

Congratulations on ur great score. I have been studying for almost 6 months, took 4 free CATs from different companies like (Veritas prep, Gmat Club,etc..). and scored 430 to 600. I was disappointed after seeing those scores, but I have maintained an error log which contains all the wrong ones. Now Im going thru the MGMAT quant books basics and OG questions(2nd time). My weakness area is DS in Quant & RC in verbal. Is this the right strategy or not? and give some insights on how to improve DS & RC?

Actually I got some wrong in first 10 questions of the 4 Mocks. My doubt here is this the reason behind my low scores?

Iam planning to take the Real GMAT next month. How to improve in short time?

Thanks in Advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
RAVICHANDRA15091988 wrote:
jul126 wrote:
I can't believe I'm writing this! I read a lot of helpful posts on how people improved their grade, but never expected it to work so well for me, especially that I never got higher than 690 on any practice test! So if I can do it, you can too. The forums have really helped me in my studying so I would like to share my own experience, hoping that it could be beneficial to someone. I only had 30 days to improve my score in order to make it for the application deadlines.

I scored a sad 590 (Q41, V28) in my first attempt in April. I was scoring 610-680 on my practice tests, but I really managed to screw up on the test day.

Mistakes I made:
- I didn't read any forums. Since I was in a panicked rush to do the exam, I asked a friend who had already passed it what I should do. He said to buy the OG book. That is all I did. There was absolutely no strategy involved in my studying. The OG is the best for practice problems, but you also NEED to strategize on the GMAT. Most of the test is not about what you know, but how you can outsmart the actual exam. It's not like any university exams for those people, including me, who haven't done a standardized test before.
- on the day of the exam, I "cared" too much. I did not manage my time appropriately at all and spent too much time and effort trying to get every question right. It resulted in me not finishing my integrative reasoning section (scoring a sad 3) and having to guess 11 remaining questions on the Quant section
- For verbal, I had 3 bold face CR questions. I didn't practice/improve those skills during my studying as I thought the bold questions weren't common, and I believe that was one of my weaknesses. If you're not good at something, make sure to improve the skill.
- Be afraid to guess and move on. You HAVE TO DO THIS in order to optimize your score. It's absolutely counter-intuitive, I know. But this is how you beat the GMAT. Get the points where you can. An extra minute you spend on one problem is an extra minute you can use to get another one right. I guessed a lot on my 740 score exam. I had NO idea I scored remotely so well, until I saw the score.
- I was obsessed with doing as many practice problems as I could. But for the GMAT, It's quality over quantity. Better to take time to understand each problem you do, and take the time to review it. If you make a mistake, note that question number in your log and make sure to review it later.

Strategies that helped me: (not in any particular order)
- I bought the 10 MGMAT strategy guide (Manhattan Prep) and went through all the books as quickly as I could (I only had 30 days total to improve my score for this round). As my time was limited, I didn't have time to practice all the problem sets, but I made sure to do the recommended midterm and final tests (moderate and hard) for each book
- Used the MGMAT navigator that came with the book. The video solutions were great! and even the written solutions are much better than the ones in the OG
- Joined the beat the gmat Verbal and Math question of the day (they email you a question every day)
- I had an error log. Yes, everyone will tell you how annoying it is but that it's useful. It's not AS bad as I imagined. I simply would write down in an excel spreadsheet all the questions I got wrong, and why I thought I got them wrong (careless mistake, missing the concept knowledge, or perhaps just a really tough question). It's equally as important to record your careless calculation mistakes to analyze whether you have any pattern for those. Keep good track of your errors to see which are your weak areas... for example- percentages or evaluate the argument CR questions, etc.
- The MGMAT general strategy guide suggested developing a one-minute timer, where you try to estimate every passing minute. That helped me with my huge time management issue, but the best way to improve time management was to set up my answer sheets in the grid style they suggest (5 problems per page for Quant, remaining minutes written at the top). REALLY really useful, I cannot express the importance of that enough. I knew exactly which question I should be at with the remaining time. It helped me keep track of time and not focus on calculating which question I should be at.

- For critical reasoning, think like the GMAT. Try to think from their point of view and what they want you to answer. Before reading the answer choices, try to predict the answer yourself - think of what could weaken/strengthen/needs to be assumed. For me, the MGMAT critical reasoning book really helped. Especially for those boldface questions that previously seemed impossible! Now I probably get 19/20 of those right! :)
- For reading comprehension, again, try to think like the GMAT. What do they want from you. The MGMAT book helped me identify all the types of wrong answer choices they like to trick you with. The worse one is when they state something true from the text, but it's not the right answer to the question. Watch out for those! I really improved my RC with that book. I went from getting 1/10 to getting about 8/10 questions right.
- For sentence correction, just learn the idiom rules, practice questions... its just grammar. The more you study, the better you do.

- My weak points were Quant (extremely ironic, I'm an engineer. Still can't figure that one out!) as well as Reading comprehension. For the Problem solving questions, the biggest mistake I would make is to start trying to solve immediately, using algebra (it's the engineer in me). The Quant part is not a math exam, it's not traditional, no one is going to check how you got your answer. Quite often, it's better and quicker to use the answer choices and back solve to see if they fit the question, or to pick numbers. I had to often remind myself and get rid of the algebra solving habit in order to improve my problem solving skills.
- data sufficiency is my worst enemy. I still can't say I'm any good at those questions, but at least I learned to solve them strategically. I would say the biggest help for DS is to listen to the Thursdays with Ron videos (vimeo. com/manhattanprep/videos it won't let me post the link properly ). He taught me about the infamous C trap, as well as some other useful techniques to solve data sufficiency questions.
- Practice your guessing skills first, on every question. Then try to opt for the answer. You will get better at guessing which will help you on the day of the exam. It's inevitable to have to guess some questions.
- I saw somewhere on a forum that GMAT club has practice tests you can subscribe to. Those were good for studying as well
- The last step of my studying this week consisted of trying some practice tests. I scored 610, 690 and then 590 on my MGMAT practice tests. I was so disappointed. Nothing had changed after a whole month of studying so hard. I think the 590 was just because of exhaustion. I couldn't focus anymore.

Having said all of this, the MGMAT practice tests were actually much harder than the exam. I had no idea how I was performing during the exam itself, except that I managed to stay within the time limit much easier than on the MGMAT practice tests. I now realize the practice tests were very good, they were much harder than the exam itself and really trained me for it. (Although they did demoralize me a lot). I kept my focus during the exam, I stayed within the timelines and was not afraid to guess some questions. Needless to say, since I never scored above 690, I nearly jumped for joy when I saw my score of 740. The miracle GMAT stories I was reading in these forums are in fact... possible!

I hope I didn't forget anything in the strategies I mentioned above. I definitely recommend the MGMAT 10 strategy guides. Feel free to ask me any questions if you need clarification on anything. Best of luck to everyone!! Most important is... Don't give up!!!
:)

Congratulations on ur great score. I have been studying for almost 6 months, took 4 free CATs from different companies like (Veritas prep, Gmat Club,etc..). and scored 430 to 600. I was disappointed after seeing those scores, but I have maintained an error log which contains all the wrong ones. Now Im going thru the MGMAT quant books basics and OG questions(2nd time). My weakness area is DS in Quant & RC in verbal. Is this the right strategy or not? and give some insights on how to improve DS & RC?

Actually I got some wrong in first 10 questions of the 4 Mocks. My doubt here is this the reason behind my low scores?

Iam planning to take the Real GMAT next month. How to improve in short time?

Thanks in Advance.

I had the exact same weaknesses as you. I have been bad at reading comprehension questions my whole life. For the GMAT, I didn't even feel like trying to improve RC because I felt like it was a dead end. However, since I had bought the 10 strategy books, I did the MGMAT book on reading comprehension, and I magically improved! So I definitely suggest you going through that book!! As I mentioned above, it helps you analyze the answers, because that's the most tricky part about RC. You may know how to answer the question yourself, but then you look at the answers and they are just confusing.

I think the MGMAT quant book basics are a good bet. They were useful for strategy. It's great that you have an error log! I definitely recommend working through all your problems in there and reviewing them, before attempting any new problems from the OG. For my first attempt at the GMAT, I focused too much on doing too many problems. I didn't review them enough. For my second one, I did each problem with care and really focused on analyzing where my mistakes and weaknesses stemmed from. I didn't nearly do all the problems in the OG, but the ones I did practice, I did so very attentively.

Try to analyze where you go wrong. Do you have a preference for a certain answer in Data Sufficiency? For example, I used to put C a lot, and got rid of that habit when I learned about the C trap. Focus on building your skills instead of attempting to do too many practice problems without taking away any lessons. Here are some videos about the C trap:
Note: for all the links I post, remove the space between the . com. It's the only way it lets me post them :(

vimeo. com/77253280
vimeo. com/80144021

And its definitely helpful is to check out the following links, since DS is simply a mind game. There are many tricks associated with it:
manhattanprep. com/gmat/blog/2012/07/31/4-common-types-of-data-sufficiency-traps/
bloomberg. com/bw/articles/2013-01-09/gmat-tip-data-sufficiency-landmines
veritasprep. com/blog/2015/01/warning-dont-fall-into-the-c-trap-on-data-sufficiency-questions/
veritasprep. com/blog/2014/06/easy-ab-trap-in-data-sufficiency-questions-on-the-gmat/ and these ones have endless other DS links you can click on at the bottom..

I read about the 10 first questions myth. I don't know if I believe it, because I don't think I ever got the first 10 questions all correct. Manhattan prep gives a free mock exam for you to try, you can try that later on in your studies! I noticed if you export your results to excel, there is a column on the right hand side that shows your percentile rating going up/down with each question. It's interesting to see how getting different questions wrong affects your score. You can try that!

A month is very little time, so you definitely have to be very smart about your studying. Focus on improving your skills in problem areas. But it is definitely possible to improve! Best of luck to you!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT Date: 02-02-2015
GPA: 3.86
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM