It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 01:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

from 650 to 760

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 83

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.74
WE: Engineering (Health Care)
from 650 to 760 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Oct 2016, 09:59
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
My first diagnostic test gave me 650. It was an official test. I was worried more about my GMAT score because other aspects of my profile are a bit week so I needed a good score desperately. This post is meant for GMAT takers who have a good hold on quant but struggle with verbal.

Here is what I did right:
    I did not read material from too many different sources. I picked the most reputable ones, Manhattan and Veritas.
    There are a lot of methodologies for answering different types of question. During the mock tests I tested most of them out until I discovered the perfect matches for me.
    I gave a test almost every week. After every test I noted down my most weak section. For the next whole week, I practiced mostly that section.
    I practiced gmatclub's posts and collected resources. I found them to be most useful. Bunuel hats off to you for quant problems.
    Some of the forum's 700+ questions have low accuracy because they are controversial and have debatable origin. IGNORE these questions
    I did not try to trick the exam's algorithm. Although I digested it very late that I don't have to get every question right.
    Once I digested it, I started to think like a manager who is allocating his resources in order to maximise output. The resource here being time. Given enough time, you can get mostly all questions right, but that's not what is being tested.

Advice for sentence correction:
    If you have a lot of time between now and your exam, start reading a lot of good american literature. Most probably you have heard a decade's worth of bad english(If you are a fellow Indian, you know I am right.) and your ear is trained to omit the errors. Go read a fing novel.
    Meaning is everything. Each and every type of error modifies the meaning in some or the other way.
    GMAT will never test you with questions in which multiple statements have the same meaning. If you have a good trained ear, you will be able to spot the difference. Remember, the game is rigged in your favor; out of 5 choices, 4 are definitely incorrect.
    Dont go digging for long forgotten grammar rules. No need to dig out your kindergarten english grammar book. Read manhattan SC and Veritas for pin point information on what you will need on the D-day. Also, re-read these books atleast 3-4 times.

Advice for Critical Reasoning:
    You will not get tired of reading explanations like, "out of scope", "too broad an assumption". Understand the crux of these explanations. If you have an analytical mind, think often in terms of venn diagrams. :wink:
    When statistics are used, you can be almost sure that it is used incorrectly. :idea:
    In boldface questions, the real inference lies in the construction of answer choices. Sentences there are constructed weirdly and I am certain question maker uses online thesaurus to get some of the words. Dont panic when you come across any such sentence. Just focus on the theme of the sentence. Same technique is demonstrated in Manhattan CR.
    The SWIM methodology in Veritas is a good framework to keep in mind.

Do's and Dont's for the exam day:
    Visit the testing center before your exam day. I had to travel to a different city to give the exam and testing centers tend to be located in a small corner of an ally. Be safe and avoid a lot of anxiety.
    Treat this day as any other day of your life. Feel good about yourself. Go for a jog in the morning. No pressure.
    Be good to the test administrator. He/she is your best friend in there. Be courteous to your fellow examinees and keep the noise level to a minimum.
    Don't overeat or overdrink before the exam. Feel light. If you are a heavy smoker, train yourself to go 4/5 hours without smoking during mock tests.

P.S. In my opinion, Kaplan 800 is an overrated resource. You can stick to gmatclub instead, for practicing high difficulty questions.

Will update the post as and when something else important crosses my mind. All the best and may the force be with you.

Kudos [?]: 7 [1], given: 83

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
S
Affiliations: ND

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 471

Schools: Rotman '21
WE: Marketing (Consulting)
Re: from 650 to 760 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Nov 2017, 09:36
Congrats lifetantrik

This is very concise and to the point

Thanks

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

High achievement always takes place in the framework of high expectation Charles Kettering
If we chase perfection we can catch excellence Vince Lombardi

GMAT Club Live: 5 Principles for Fast Math: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-club-live-5-principles-for-fast-math-251028.html#p1940045
YouTube sessions by GMATNinja: https://gmatclub.com/forum/verbal-live-with-gmat-ninja-sc-pronouns-that-parallelism-250568.html#p1936104
The Best SC strategies - Amazing 4 videos by Veritas: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-best-sc-strategies-amazing-4-videos-by-veritas-250377.html#p1934575

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 471

Re: from 650 to 760   [#permalink] 19 Nov 2017, 09:36

from 650 to 760

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap