Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619014 [36]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [9]
Given Kudos: 500
General Discussion
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619014 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Sloan '23 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
From time to time, the press indulges in outbursts of indignation over [#permalink]
Kudos
Can an expert chime in about the quality of this question? Option D basically reiterates a premise in the paragraph ("No one endorses needless deception"). This does not seem like an assumption to me; in fact, it seems like a classic restatement of the premise that is used to trap test takers up in other CR problems?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: From time to time, the press indulges in outbursts of indignation over [#permalink]
The answer D seems like a correct answer cuz in the paragraph mentioned the fact that "no one endorses needless deception", so why the OA is C?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Re: From time to time, the press indulges in outbursts of indignation over [#permalink]
Though I have made it correct, still confused. Kindly explain.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 126
Send PM
From time to time, the press indulges in outbursts of indignation over [#permalink]
Kudos
AndrewN wrote:
Hello, everyone. I am writing in response to a request from Emeraldle, but I see a question above from another member as well, so I thought I would take the time to share my thoughts, in hopes of benefiting the community. Keep in mind, we are dealing with an EXCEPT question, so we are looking for an out-and-out wrong answer. This question also adopts an assumption framework, so we need to find an answer choice that would not have to be assumed by the author of the passage. I typically break down a passage line by line, but I think I will incorporate more of the passage in my analyses below to disprove or disqualify four of the five answer choices. How about we start from the top?
Bunuel wrote:
(A) Government deception of the press is often motivated by worthy objectives.

Analysis: Keep in mind, we are looking for an exception among reasonable assumptions. Does the author assume that the government deceives the press on purpose but does so for a worthy cause? The first two lines and the analogy that follows support this notion. Line 1 tells us that, straightened out, the U.S. government [uses] false or misleading information in support of its policies and programs. We understand, however, that such action is not needless deception (line 2), since the analogy reveals that Christopher Columbus deceived his skeptical crew and averted a potential mutiny, thereby allowing the mission to succeed, even if the discovery of the New World, rather than India, was happenstance. If the author has asked us to consider this historical analogy, then the why behind the analogy supports making the assumption in this answer choice. Presumably, the government, like Columbus before, has worthy objectives. This is NOT what we are after. Red light.

Bunuel wrote:
(B) Without government deception, popular support for worthwhile government policies and programs might well fade.

Analysis: We have to read into the analogy a bit more here, but latching onto the keywords without and might well helps us get to the bottom of the matter. The passage explicitly states in the final line that without this deception, Columbus's sailors might well have mutinied. Of course, a mutiny would indicate a lack of popular support, and again, if we are to ask ourselves why the author of the passage turns to this analogy to illustrate a point, then we can only conclude that this answer choice is a valid assumption. Keep looking. Red light.

Bunuel wrote:
(C) Attacks on the government by the press are often politically motivated.

Analysis: Line 1 of the passage indicates that the press indulges in outbursts of indignation over the use of false or misleading information by the U.S. government. There is no political motivation to be gleaned on behalf of the press. To my eye, the press is angry that the government has misled its own citizens, nothing more. Thus, we do NOT have to assume that the author of the passage above assumes this answer choice, and that fits an EXCEPT condition. Make sure you read the question stem carefully. Green light.

Bunuel wrote:
(D) Deception for deception’s sake should not be condoned.

Analysis: Yes, the passage states in line 2 that no one endorses needless deception, but if anything, the similarity between that statement and this answer choice underscores the notion that, once again, the author of the passage above assumes that deception for its own sake is condemnable or should not be condoned or endorsed. Others might disagree, but not the author of the passage. This is an assumption the author makes about the action of deception, and that is not what we are after. Red light.

Bunuel wrote:
(E) A greater good may sometimes require acceptance of a lesser evil.

Analysis: This is a nice summary of the analogy. Columbus deceived his crew, but it was so that they might remain obedient to his command, and the result was the discovery of the New World. Likewise, the U.S. government might deliberately deceive its citizens, but, to lift some of the language of an earlier answer choice, it is for a worthy end. If the author of the passage did not make this assumption, then there would be no point to the analogy. Thus, this answer choice does not meet the EXCEPT condition. Red light.

I think that sometimes people approach these questions too quickly, without considering what, exactly, the question is asking. There is simply no justification in the passage to support (C), and that is what we have been tasked to find. Of course, if anyone feels differently, please share your thoughts in an effort to help the community (i.e. serve the greater good).

Thank you, and good luck with your studies.

- Andrew

I think this question is not a good quality question. The reason why I didn't choose C is because the first line says "the press indulges in outbursts of indignation over the use of false or misleading information by the U.S. government in support of its policies and programs," which leads me to believe that the press executes outbursts of indignation when the U.S. government is publicly supporting its policies and programs. Therefore, the press' outbursts of indignation are directed toward the government supporting its policies/programs (politics), and whether the press' motivations are politically motivated is kind of unclear, there's a gray area there to me.

Also, the author does not have to assume A. Where in the passage does the author communicate that he believes government deception of the press is OFTEN motivated by worthy objectives? I think the author's passage could still work and be true/sound if he assumed that government deception was only SOMETIMES motivated by worthy objectives.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts