Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:03 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [1]
Given Kudos: 155
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: General Management, Economics
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
Send PM
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
Mbamissionimp wrote:
goalieman688 wrote:
Seems like the class is pretty full already. At least looking at the Facebook group there is already 350 members....

I don't think your nos are accurate or I don't think all of them are attending fuqua as the total no is students admitted last yr is 437 so no way 350 spots are taken already. Round 2 is the biggest round in terms of no of applicants and hence most seats go to round 2 candidates even though acceptance rate may be less than r1 or Ea but in aggregate nos round 2 will receive more admits than any other round. Also remember fuqua has a 50% yield

Posted from my mobile device

I hope you are right just interesting looking at the FB group for Fuqua 2016 and it being that high. I do not know what the yield and acceptance for Ed and R1
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Interview went well, afterward he walked me around campus and showed me the building (I missed the tour due to flight delays). After that, I got dinner with a fellow gmatclubber (who's AA flight was also cancelled [from a different airport too] and had to take a 5am flight instead) and someone from the consulting club who got a McKinsey offer. Really like the culture here. Hanging at millennium hotel now, lots of drunk people from the basketball game haha. If I attend here, will make sure I take delta and not AA though.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Sustainability
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
mgh234 wrote:
American Airlines continues to claim its glory as the worst airline in existence, and cancelled my flight without even notifying me (found out when I tried to check in). Found a new flight tomorrow, but I'm landing an hour and a half before my interview tomorrow. Hopefully this doesn't get delayed...

My flight was cancelled the week before and there were no flights going down that day, so I ended up doing a Skype interview which was a bit weird. Don't have a good vibe about it and the interviewer did not acknowledge my thank you email. :(

Fingers crossed.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
goalieman688 wrote:
Seems like the class is pretty full already. At least looking at the Facebook group there is already 350 members....

Oh don't even look at those numbers. The group includes currents students - a lot of them. C/O 2015 FB group has around 850 people.

R2 is when they admit around 40% of the class, so you guys have plenty of space to fill in.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Does anyone know the rough percentage of those INVITED to interview who are accepted on average?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GRE 1: Q164 V167
GPA: 3.36
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Flyte wrote:
Does anyone know the rough percentage of those INVITED to interview who are accepted on average?

Generally 55% to 60% of interviewed students are accepted.
Director
Director
Send PM
Does Duke call people who were accepted the day before notification date? Do they immediately let financial aid known?

I have to pay the down-payment on a Round 1 school by EOD March 12th, but duke official notification day is March 13th. Would be cool if I could find out if I got in before taking the $ loss.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
mgh234 wrote:
Does Duke call people who were accepted the day before notification date? Do they immediately let financial aid known?

I have to pay the down-payment on a Round 1 school by EOD March 12th, but duke official notification day is March 13th. Would be cool if I could find out if I got in before taking the $ loss.

For R1, they called the morning of the official notification date. In a meeting I had with ADCOMS during a visit, they stated and reiterated that notifications will not go out early and the day posted is the day people are notified.

I know it's a lot of money, but it's better than being short changed. You could always send the payment on March 12th but then cancel the check that next day if Duke gives you the nod?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
mgh234 wrote:

You can do these two things:

1) Politely email Anderson asking them if they can extend the deposit date by 1 day.

2) Email Duke mentioning that they are your top choice and you will absolutely attend if admitted, but the notification day is 1 day after your Anderson deposit deadline. See if they can notify decision a day earlier and save you few thousand bucks.

Try with first option and if that doesn't work, go for option 2.
Director
Director
Send PM
CheeseNcrackers wrote:
mgh234 wrote:

For R1, they called the morning of the official notification date. In a meeting I had with ADCOMS during a visit, they stated and reiterated that notifications will not go out early and the day posted is the day people are notified.

I know it's a lot of money, but it's better than being short changed. You could always send the payment on March 12th but then cancel the check that next day if Duke gives you the nod?

Haha, while I enjoy the outside-the-box thinking, I think cancelling the check on them would burn a few bridges...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.86
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Would someone be able to shed some light on whats the deal with Fuqua denying interviews to almost all Indian candidates this year? I mean, I got invited to interview for LBS, Said, UNC, Kellogg(adcom, not alum), Wharton, just not Duke....And it was a pretty great app too, since I lived nearby for a couple of years...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Supply Chain Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
sayak57 wrote:
Would someone be able to shed some light on whats the deal with Fuqua denying interviews to almost all Indian candidates this year? I mean, I got invited to interview for LBS, Said, UNC, Kellogg(adcom, not alum), Wharton, just not Duke....And it was a pretty great app too, since I lived nearby for a couple of years...

I thought I was probably the only Indian who was not invited to interview. My Fuqua application was my best application and I felt bad that even so much hard work did not suffice.

May be too many Indians were already accepted in their earlier rounds. Remember, schools look for a diverse class room.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
sayak57 wrote:

There are Indians in our FB group, so, no, they are not denying interviews to them. It could be just the case of you not displaying fit at Fuqua or they already accepting people who had similar profiles as of you.

This whole process is like a dating game: you can be on your best behavior, look like Brad Pitt (or even hailmary :lol: ), be charismatic and even throw money at the girl, but if she doesn't click with you, she won't marry you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
sayak57 wrote:

well first and foremost indian applicant pool is huge so your acceptance rate naturally goes down..second indians and asians have the highest grades so your competing against them and so you usually need to be at the higher end of the range...third affirmative action exists and schools have unofficial quotas and while diversity over talent is debatable it exists...ex-if you had the stats you do and you were from uganda or some african country you would have 100% got in but india and china are super competitive ...fourth-get over it - you got interviewed at wharton and other good schools so relax..not every school you apply to is going to roll out interviews! you also need to talk to professors attend events speak to adcom etc to get in...!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Kudos
Mbamissionimp wrote:
sayak57 wrote:

well first and foremost indian applicant pool is huge so your acceptance rate naturally goes down..second indians and asians have the highest grades so your competing against them and so you usually need to be at the higher end of the range...third affirmative action exists and schools have unofficial quotas and while diversity over talent is debatable it exists...ex-if you had the stats you do and you were from uganda or some african country you would have 100% got in but india and china are super competitive ...fourth-get over it - you got interviewed at wharton and other good schools so relax..not every school you apply to is going to roll out interviews! you also need to talk to professors attend events speak to adcom etc to get in...!

While I can agree with your first two points to some extent, I see no reason for you to bring up "affirmative action," "quotas" and "diversity over talent." I find the latter half of your comment to be pretty distasteful. Was it necessary to compare this Indian candidate to a made up Ugandan candidate (who would "100% get in")? That was pretty offensive.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
sobe1hopeful wrote:
Mbamissionimp wrote:
sayak57 wrote:

While I can agree with your first two points to some extent, I see no reason for you to bring up "affirmative action," "quotas" and "diversity over talent." I find the latter half of your comment to be pretty distasteful. Was it necessary to compare this Indian candidate to a made up Ugandan candidate (who would "100% get in")? That was pretty offensive.

sorry if you thought it was offensive but my point is simple that affirmative action exists...a candidate from an under-represented group or country would get in with a 750 gmat and a good gpa but asian students don't...i honestly don't even know what is offensive about it though? thats a proven fact. as i mentioned it is debatable whether diversity should be valued over talent ...some may argue that a diverse group even though its less talented may do a job better than a less diverse group with more talent or brainpower...so i am not saying whether its a right policy or wrong one but don't kid yourself affirmative action exists and the bar is set low for some groups thats just a fact of life...i can give you stats to prove that...

Students seeking admission to graduate schools of business are in most cases required to take the Graduate Management Admission Test. In 2005, 8,448 African Americans took the GMAT test. They made up 7.9 percent of all GMAT test takers that year.

The mean black score on the GMAT was 425. (The test is scored on the familiar 200 to 800 scale used for each section of the SAT test.) For whites, the mean GMAT score was 532. This is 107 points or 18 percent higher than the mean score for blacks.

1) The racial scoring gap on the GMAT test has increased in recent years. In 2003 the scoring gap was 101 points. The next year the gap increased to 104 points. And now the gap has increased further to 107 points.

The average GMAT score for admitted students at the nation's leading business schools is over 700. Perhaps only 1 or 2 percent of all black GMAT test takers score at this level. Therefore, without continuing affirmative action admissions programs at Harvard, Penn, Stanford, Northwestern, MIT, and other top MBA programs, the nation's leading business schools will have very few black students.The latest JBHE survey shows that blacks make up about 5 percent of the students at the nation's leading business schools. If affirmative action admissions programs were to be discontinued, African-American enrollments at these schools might drop by 75 percent.

2)Students seeking admission to the nation's highest-ranked law schools such as Yale, Harvard, and Stanford have a mean LSAT score of about 170. Data obtained by JBHE from the Law School Admission Council shows that very few blacks nationwide score at this level.

In 2004, 10,370 blacks took the LSAT examination. Only 29 blacks, or 0.3 percent of all LSAT test takers, scored 170 or above. In contrast, more than 1,900 white test takers scored 170 or above on the LSAT. They made up 3.1 percent of all white test takers. Thus whites were more than 10 times as likely as blacks to score 170 or above on the LSAT. There were 66 times as many whites as blacks who scored 170 or above on the test.

Even if we drop the scoring level to 165, a level equal to the mean score of students enrolling at law schools ranked in the top 10 nationwide but not at the very top, we still find very few blacks. There were 108 blacks scoring 165 or better on the LSAT in 2004. They made up 1 percent of all black test takers. For whites, there were 6,689 test takers who scored 165 or above. They made up 10.6 percent of all white students who took the LSAT examination.

The nation's top law schools could fill their classes exclusively with students who scored 165 or above on the LSAT. But if they were to do so, these law schools would have almost no black students.

3) Some stats from duke undergrad- It is true that if admission were based solely on test scores, more students of Asian descent would be admitted. In one recently published study, Asian American students who enrolled in Duke averaged 1457 out of 1600 on the math and reading portions of the SAT, compared to 1416 for whites, 1347 for Hispanics and 1275 for blacks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
ritinster ,

There was no need to write a dissertation defending your comment. Sayak57 asked about Indians, not American Blacks or Ugandans. Also, you imply that sayak57 has more "talent" than people from the previously mentioned groups, and compared them negatively to him. That was not cool IMHO. No amount of stats or story-boarding will change my impression of your comment. No need to respond back to me. Best of luck with your applications.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  62   63   64   65   66   67   68  ...  82   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts