Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Duke ($) vs Tuck ($)

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
UCLA School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 71
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 4
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
UCLA School Moderator
Send PM
UCLA School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Send PM
Re: Fuqua vs Tuck [#permalink]
Kudos
Also bb, There were also a couple more considerations that some of the Alumni pointed out. Would love to get your take on these as well.

1. In case I choose to go the MBB route, Fuqua places most of its students in the south in offices such as Dallas, Atlanta, etc. which are smaller in comparison to Boston, New York, or Chicago where the majority of the Tuck folks seem to end up at - In your understanding, what would be the difference between offices in a small city and big city - is it just the experience of living or is there a faster growth trajectory at the bigger ones?
2. Work-life balance is an important factor to me and my inclination towards Tech to some extent stems from this too. In your understanding, are MBBs really as bad as they are made out to be in WLB? I have started to consider MBB for 3-4 years and then shifting into a tech firm as I mentioned above so just wanted to get a sense of what I would be getting myself into if I go down this road!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Send PM
Fuqua vs Tuck [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi. I am not a huge MBB expert but you want to check our MBB panel on YouTube from 2021. It was pretty insightful…. I would say most offices at MBB are good. They often have specialization. For example the Chicago New York officers will be more management consulting a strategy and maybe some of the south ones will be more of healthcare or perhaps technology. So the location is sometimes determined more by your specialization rather than other factors. You should be able to get a pretty good sense about the consultant life from the many consultants floating around and I assume blogging or YouTubing.

I would say that having a management consulting name on your résumé is an awesome thing to have. Having a name of one of the MBB’s is strong!

The life and work balance is something you can say goodbye to. There’s no life and work balance when you just graduated from business school. You have to prove your worth and you have to get as high up corporate ladder as you can. If you want to Kushi job, it won’t pay well. So if you want to take Fridays off, or you can move to France 😂 but if you’re pointing to be competitive and want to have high rankings and you want to get promotions and eye-popping stock grants, you gotta pull your weight and not only - you have to be better than others….

Posted from my mobile device
UCLA School Moderator
Send PM
Thanks a lot for the reply bb, I checked the video you referred to as well, was pretty insightful!
UCLA School Moderator
Send PM
Any thoughts on this bb??

catechol wrote:
Hello bb,

Thanks for your insights and apologies for the late reply, I was holed up working on my R2 applications and interviews.

I do have an update on my conundrum between Duke and Tuck. Just as I was making up my mind to go to Duke, Tuck has matched the scholarship amount so the difference in COA has halved to $35K and I do believe in the long run $35K shouldn't be too big a factor. So I'm not considering cost any more and am back to square one again!

I've also had the chance to think deeper into other aspects such as the smaller alumni base at Tuck, brand name in my home country, weather, etc., and realized that the only two factors that are actually important to me are:
1. Fit and Culture - Where I like Tuck better, I like the community being close-knit and I interacted with admitted students from both schools over the last 2 months from my country and felt more at ease with the Tuck folks
2. Tech recruiting options - Where I like Fuqua better (And with apple, google opening campuses in the triangle area it seems as if the gap will only widen, I was also surprised to see the sheer number of folks going to Apple from Fuqua, which seems to be more than some M7s too and in some roles exclusive to Fuqua!). One other interesting insight I saw here was that though Tuck doesn't place too many people in Google and Microsoft right out of B-school, there are a good number of people who do MBB and end up in these firms in 3-4 years' time, which seems like a good option too

Essentially my heart's pointing toward Tuck because of the culture and since I believe I'll enjoy the whole experience a little more and I like the peer group better but logically Fuqua seems better since it opens up opportunities at Apple, Google, and Microsoft. (And potentially lose an option to go to Apple if I go to Tuck, If you didn't make it out already, Apple is on my dream company's list :lol: )

Any new insights basis these new updates?? Also, thank you for creating this tool, It has helped me immensely over the last 2 years right from GMAT prep to B-school interviews and everything in between and it is now helping me in choosing the right program for me too!
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sorry I have missed your post :angel:

I have not heard of Fuqua being that strong in tech and with Tech recruiting scaling down (likely only a temporary trend) I think in the immediate future, I would not count on it a whole lot. I am hearing about traditional tech schools having a harder time getting scholarships for people... so I think Tuck is a great option/choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
­hiii! I'm literally in the same boat as you! I am curious about which school did you choose??? and how is it going with recruiting?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Fuqua is not terrible for tech - they have been up and down. Pretty much everyone is down on tech in the last 18 months. But both good and bad times have an end.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/best-mba-pro ... 21312.html

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts