GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 02:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Genetic research suggests that after cheetah ancestors had migrated fr

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.6
Re: Genetic research suggests that after cheetah ancestors had migrated fr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2018, 14:25
Just to confirm the past vs past perfect in C and B is not factor in decision, correct? It's the SV error that distinguishes right and wrong?
Director
Director
P
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.92
WE: Operations (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Genetic research suggests that after cheetah ancestors had migrated fr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2018, 23:41
VeritasKarishma VeritasPrepBrian

is it okay to use comparative "lower " without "than "... why cant we use " are thought to have been LOW" ??

mikemcgarry daagh chetan2u - please address my concern
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 05 Nov 2018, 23:50
GMATNinja All the options have a comma splice problem by having 2 independent clauses joint just by a comma right ?? Any thoughts...
Veritas Prep Representative
S

Show Tags

New post 06 Nov 2018, 15:37
Top Contributor
AdityaHongunti wrote:
VeritasKarishma VeritasPrepBrian

is it okay to use comparative "lower " without "than "... why cant we use " are thought to have been LOW" ??

mikemcgarry daagh chetan2u - please address my concern

For this question, think of the sentence "I hope you feel better."

"Better" is the same part of speech as "lower" and it's implied that you're talking about "than you are now." So you don't always need a "than" in order to use an -er comparative adjective if there's a clear implied comparison point. Now I don't know that the GMAT would directly test that, but here where you don't get another way to say it - no answer choices give you a "than" option - I'd say it's fair game.

You could of course use "low" - if you said "when sea levels are thought to have been low" that works, too. Instead of an implied "lower than today" it would just mean "low" as compared to "high" but it's still valid.

Curriculum Developer, Instructor, and Host of Veritas Prep On Demand

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.22
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2019, 10:57
rahimk7 wrote:
ziyuen wrote:
Genetic research suggests that after cheetah ancestors had migrated from North America to Asia more than 100,000 years ago, when sea levels were thought to have been much lower, they quickly spread to Africa, where the species is safe from the ice ages that have wiped out its populations on other continents.

A. had migrated from North America to Asia more than 100,000 years ago, when sea levels were thought to have been much lower, they quickly spread to Africa, where the species is safe from the ice ages that have wiped out its

Use of had Migrated is wrong

B. migrated from North America to Asia more than 100,000 years ago, when sea levels are thought to have been much lower, they quickly spread to Africa, where the species was safe from the ice ages that wiped out its

Correct Choice

C. had migrated from North America to Asia more than 100,000 years ago, when sea levels are thought to have been much lower, they quickly spread to Africa, where the species was safe from the ice ages that wiped out their

Same as A

D. migrated from North America to Asia more than 100,000 years ago, when sea levels are thought to be much lower, they quickly spread to Africa, where the species has been safe from the ice ages that wiped out its

Has been safe - Wrong

E. migrated from North America to Asia more than 100,000 years ago, when sea levels were thought to have been much lower, they quickly spread to Africa, where the species is safe from the ice ages that wiped out their

Species is singular and hence singular verb.
Species is safe is present tense. Does not go with verb migrated in Past tense.

OFFICIAL SOLUTION

This problem offers a variety of decision points related to verb tenses and pronouns, and the key to solving it correctly lies in determining which decisions are fatally flawed - they provide an illogical, incorrect meaning - and which are more a matter of preference.

For example, the first major difference - "had migrated" vs. "migrated" - is really just a matter of preference. The past-perfect "had migrated" puts extra emphasis on the sequence of events, but the simple past "migrated" works just as well (think about it - saying "after I finished at the gym, I took a shower" works just as well as "after I had finished at the gym, I took a shower").

One completely illogical verb choice in this problem, however, is the "were thought to be" (or "were thought to have been") in choices A and E. The time period in question is more than 100,000 years ago, so "were" puts that "thought to be" in that timeframe. And clearly no one was thinking about sea level comparisons back then - that's current scientific analysis, so you must have "when sea levels are thought" with the "are" putting the thinking in the present.

Choice D commits a similar error: while the thinking "are thought to be" is in the proper, current tense, the verb "to be" there is incorrect. While the thinking is in the present tense, the lower water levels themselves were in the past, so a past-tense verb such as "are thought to have been" is required.

From there you might consider the pronoun decision between "its" and "their." The antecedent is "the species," requiring the singular "its" and helping you eliminate choice C.

Choice B uses logical verb tense and accurate pronouns throughout, and is therefore correct.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

why is had migrated wrong??

migrated is the earlier past activity after which they spread to africa, the later past activity.........use of past perfect is ok....

Please refute!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Genetic research suggests that after cheetah ancestors had migrated fr   [#permalink] 18 Mar 2019, 10:57

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 25 posts ] 

Genetic research suggests that after cheetah ancestors had migrated fr

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics