GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2018, 11:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Algebra Webinar

December 09, 2018

December 09, 2018

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Attend this Free Algebra Webinar and learn how to master Inequalities and Absolute Value problems on GMAT.
  • Free lesson on number properties

December 10, 2018

December 10, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

Genetic research suggests that after cheetah ancestors had migrated fr

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior SC Moderator
V
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Genetic research suggests that after cheetah ancestors had migrated fr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 06:13
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

45% (01:35) correct 55% (01:38) wrong based on 1019 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Genetic research suggests that after cheetah ancestors had migrated from North America to Asia more than 100,000 years ago, when sea levels were thought to have been much lower, they quickly spread to Africa, where the species is safe from the ice ages that have wiped out its populations on other continents.

A. had migrated from North America to Asia more than 100,000 years ago, when sea levels were thought to have been much lower, they quickly spread to Africa, where the species is safe from the ice ages that have wiped out its

B. migrated from North America to Asia more than 100,000 years ago, when sea levels are thought to have been much lower, they quickly spread to Africa, where the species was safe from the ice ages that wiped out its

C. had migrated from North America to Asia more than 100,000 years ago, when sea levels are thought to have been much lower, they quickly spread to Africa, where the species was safe from the ice ages that wiped out their

D. migrated from North America to Asia more than 100,000 years ago, when sea levels are thought to be much lower, they quickly spread to Africa, where the species has been safe from the ice ages that wiped out its

E. migrated from North America to Asia more than 100,000 years ago, when sea levels were thought to have been much lower, they quickly spread to Africa, where the species is safe from the ice ages that wiped out their

OFFICIAL SOLUTION

This problem offers a variety of decision points related to verb tenses and pronouns, and the key to solving it correctly lies in determining which decisions are fatally flawed - they provide an illogical, incorrect meaning - and which are more a matter of preference.

For example, the first major difference - "had migrated" vs. "migrated" - is really just a matter of preference. The past-perfect "had migrated" puts extra emphasis on the sequence of events, but the simple past "migrated" works just as well (think about it - saying "after I finished at the gym, I took a shower" works just as well as "after I had finished at the gym, I took a shower").

One completely illogical verb choice in this problem, however, is the "were thought to be" (or "were thought to have been") in choices A and E. The time period in question is more than 100,000 years ago, so "were" puts that "thought to be" in that timeframe. And clearly no one was thinking about sea level comparisons back then - that's current scientific analysis, so you must have "when sea levels are thought" with the "are" putting the thinking in the present.

Choice D commits a similar error: while the thinking "are thought to be" is in the proper, current tense, the verb "to be" there is incorrect. While the thinking is in the present tense, the lower water levels themselves were in the past, so a past-tense verb such as "are thought to have been" is required.

From there you might consider the pronoun decision between "its" and "their." The antecedent is "the species," requiring the singular "its" and helping you eliminate choice C.

Choice B uses logical verb tense and accurate pronouns throughout, and is therefore correct.

"Be challenged at EVERY MOMENT."

“Strength doesn’t come from what you can do. It comes from overcoming the things you once thought you couldn’t.”

"Each stage of the journey is crucial to attaining new heights of knowledge."

Rules for posting in verbal forum | Please DO NOT post short answer in your post!

Advanced Search : https://gmatclub.com/forum/advanced-search/

Manager
Manager
B
Genetic research suggests that after cheetah ancestors had migrated fr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 08:57
Genetic research suggests that after cheetah ancestors had migrated from North America to Asia more than 100,000 years ago, when sea levels were thought to have been much lower, they quickly spread to Africa, where the species is safe from the ice ages that have wiped out its populations on other continents.

A. had migrated from North America to Asia more than 100,000 years ago, when sea levels were thought to have been much lower, they quickly spread to Africa, where the species is safe from the ice ages that have wiped out its

B. migrated from North America to Asia more than 100,000 years ago, when sea levels are thought to have been much lower, they quickly spread to Africa, where the species was safe from the ice ages that wiped out its

C. had migrated from North America to Asia more than 100,000 years ago, when sea levels are thought to have been much lower, they quickly spread to Africa, where the species was safe from the ice ages that wiped out their

D. migrated from North America to Asia more than 100,000 years ago, when sea levels are thought to be much lower, they quickly spread to Africa, where the species has been safe from the ice ages that wiped out its

E. migrated from North America to Asia more than 100,000 years ago, when sea levels were thought to have been much lower, they quickly spread to Africa, where the species is safe from the ice ages that wiped out their

Answer is B
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Genetic research suggests that after cheetah ancestors had migrated fr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Apr 2017, 10:19

I eliminated B, C, and D due to the use of 'are' as the time period in consideration is 100,000 years ago. Can someone please point out the flaw in my understanding? Thanks a lot!
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Genetic research suggests that after cheetah ancestors had migrated fr  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 01:21
I eliminated B, C, and D due to the use of 'are' as the time period in consideration is 100,000 years ago. Can someone please point out the flaw in my understanding? Thanks a lot!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2017, 02:49
ziyuen wrote:

Use of had Migrated is wrong

Correct Choice

Same as A

Has been safe - Wrong

Species is singular and hence singular verb.
Species is safe is present tense. Does not go with verb migrated in Past tense.

OFFICIAL SOLUTION

This problem offers a variety of decision points related to verb tenses and pronouns, and the key to solving it correctly lies in determining which decisions are fatally flawed - they provide an illogical, incorrect meaning - and which are more a matter of preference.

For example, the first major difference - "had migrated" vs. "migrated" - is really just a matter of preference. The past-perfect "had migrated" puts extra emphasis on the sequence of events, but the simple past "migrated" works just as well (think about it - saying "after I finished at the gym, I took a shower" works just as well as "after I had finished at the gym, I took a shower").

One completely illogical verb choice in this problem, however, is the "were thought to be" (or "were thought to have been") in choices A and E. The time period in question is more than 100,000 years ago, so "were" puts that "thought to be" in that timeframe. And clearly no one was thinking about sea level comparisons back then - that's current scientific analysis, so you must have "when sea levels are thought" with the "are" putting the thinking in the present.

Choice D commits a similar error: while the thinking "are thought to be" is in the proper, current tense, the verb "to be" there is incorrect. While the thinking is in the present tense, the lower water levels themselves were in the past, so a past-tense verb such as "are thought to have been" is required.

From there you might consider the pronoun decision between "its" and "their." The antecedent is "the species," requiring the singular "its" and helping you eliminate choice C.

Choice B uses logical verb tense and accurate pronouns throughout, and is therefore correct.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 May 2017, 08:49
Top Contributor
Whatever the attempt to justify the use of a present tense to say ' are thought to have been' to describe the sea levels', it is still jarring to hear that "more than 100,000 years ago, when sea levels are thought to have been".
The thought about sea levels is also not an eternal factor, as the thought itself is dependent upon the changing sea levels.
In that same vein, can we also say that ' where the species is (instead of was) safe from the from the ice ages that wipe out its" since we can say that the species is safe now from the ice ages that can wipe it out at any point of time?
All the same, I agree that VERITAS knows better

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Originally posted by daagh on 15 May 2017, 05:08.
Last edited by daagh on 18 May 2017, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 May 2017, 09:02
hi experts,

could you please explain how the usage of "are" in option b is correct ?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 18 May 2017, 10:09
From the official solution above:
Quote:

This was in a "spoiler", so it was easy to miss. Let me know if this doesn't address your question, Aketa!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Beginners' guides to GMAT verbal
Reading Comprehension | Critical Reasoning | Sentence Correction

YouTube LIVE verbal webinars
Series 1: Fundamentals of SC & CR | Series 2: Developing a Winning GMAT Mindset

SC & CR Questions of the Day (QOTDs), featuring expert explanations
All QOTDs | Subscribe via email | RSS

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

Sentence Correction articles & resources
How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning, and other articles & resources
All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 May 2017, 01:04

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2017, 18:57
mikemcgarry, GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja

Could anyone of you moderators please explain to me why option B is correct? I choose option E instead. I am confused with the following things:

1. The usage of "are thought to have been"- I was wondering why are we using "are thought..." instead of "were thought to have been"? The sentence says, "100,000 years ago" which is in the past.

2. Usage of "its"- Species is plural I believe. I thought the usage of "their" would have been correct. Please explain why we are using "its" instead of "their"?

Would immensely appreciate it!
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2017, 12:50
csaluja wrote:
mikemcgarry, GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja

Could anyone of you moderators please explain to me why option B is correct? I choose option E instead. I am confused with the following things:

1. The usage of "are thought to have been"- I was wondering why are we using "are thought..." instead of "were thought to have been"? The sentence says, "100,000 years ago" which is in the past.

2. Usage of "its"- Species is plural I believe. I thought the usage of "their" would have been correct. Please explain why we are using "its" instead of "their"?

Would immensely appreciate it!

Three thoughts on this:

1. Like all non-official questions, this one should be taken with a grain of salt. Your questions are totally legit, but.... well, when in doubt, don't lose too much sleep over this one.

2. You could argue that "are thought to have been" is OK here, since the act of thinking is occurring now -- not 100,000 years ago. That's clearly what the question-writers were thinking, but it seems like we would typically use the past tense in this case, since the grammatical subject is technically the "sea levels" from 100,000 years ago. At the very least, I can't think of any actual GMAT questions that make you choose in circumstances like these. In other words: you have a point, and don't worry about it too much.

3. The question has it right on the "species" issue, though! There are plenty of weird nouns in English that can be either singular or plural (media or data or deer or diabetes or starfish), but the GMAT will always give you a hint about whether the word is used as a singular or plural in that specific case. And in this question, "species" is clearly singular, since all five answer choices use a singular verb ("is" or "was") with "species." So the singular pronoun "its" is appropriate later in the sentence.

I hope this helps!

GMAT Club Verbal Expert | GMAT/GRE tutor @ www.gmatninja.com (Now hiring!) | Instagram | Food blog | Notoriously bad at PMs

Need an expert reply?
Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and please be specific about your question. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja in your post. Priority is always given to official GMAT questions.

How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

All GMAT Ninja articles on GMAT Club | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC |7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99 | Time management on verbal

BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2017, 13:14
Hello GMATNinja,

I have a doubt regarding the use of "lower". Isn't it a GMAC standard that whenever we use a comparative form a "than" must be used to show the comparison. In all the choices this comparison is missing.

Am I right in my understanding?

Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!
Preparing for RC my way
RC Summary Activity - New Project to imporve RC Skills
Bloomberg's US Bschool Ranking

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant | 2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation | 3. LSAT RC compilation | 4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal | 5. QOTD RC (Carcass) | 6. Challange OG RC | 7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2018, 07:13
can someone explain the grammar behind it this one is really bugging me! please exlpain the grammar
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2018, 10:38
saarthak299 wrote:
can someone explain the grammar behind it this one is really bugging me! please exlpain the grammar

I think the quickest way to solve this one is to look for the items that make answers definitely wrong (or to look at differences in the answer choices and realize which option is correct):

- the species is single and has to refer to its, not their. this eliminates C and E immediately
- the verb before safe from the ice ages has to be past tense, not present, since the ices ages refers to a time period in the past. this eliminates A ("is safe") and D ("has been")

You're left with B. If you can immediately identify simple differences that make sentences definitely wrong (I think the two examples above qualify), then you don't have to think about more ambiguous differences for each sentence.

For example, I wasn't sure if had migrated or migrated was correct, because it seemed like one event happened before the other. But this was irrelevant after I was able to eliminate answers based on these other issues.

hope this helps.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
P

Show Tags

New post 29 Jan 2018, 12:58
gmatexam439 wrote:
Hello GMATNinja,

I have a doubt regarding the use of "lower". Isn't it a GMAC standard that whenever we use a comparative form a "than" must be used to show the comparison. In all the choices this comparison is missing.

Regards

You probably won't like my answer to this, gmatexam439. :?

For starters, I can't think of an official GMAT question that uses "lower" without using the word "than." But we can't possibly say with a straight face that it's a GMAC standard that "lower" must be accompanied by "than." In general, there are very, very few things that can possibly qualify as GMAC "standards": test-prep folks are mostly just trying to infer rules from the published questions, and most of the things that appear in GMAT SC test-prep books as "rules" end up having exceptions.

Don't get me wrong: some of those "rules" are still really, really useful, even if they have exceptions. But if we're being 100% accurate, it's dangerous to think of something like this as a rule. And I don't think that it's automatically wrong to say something like "100,000 years ago, when sea levels were lower..." -- if we don't have a better alternative and the meaning still makes sense from the context, it could be perfectly fine, even on an official question.

Our lives would be much easier if the GMAT had more standardized (and enthusiastically capitalized) RULES for SC, but there unfortunately aren't too many of them. And this probably doesn't qualify as one.

I know: unsatisfying answer. But I hope it helps a little bit, anyway!

Need an expert reply?

BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2018, 03:40
GMATNinja wrote:
gmatexam439 wrote:
Hello GMATNinja,

Regards

You probably won't like my answer to this, gmatexam439. :?

For starters, I can't think of an official GMAT question that uses "lower" without using the word "than." But we can't possibly say with a straight face that it's a GMAC standard that "lower" must be accompanied by "than." In general, there are very, very few things that can possibly qualify as GMAC "standards": test-prep folks are mostly just trying to infer rules from the published questions, and most of the things that appear in GMAT SC test-prep books as "rules" end up having exceptions.

Don't get me wrong: some of those "rules" are still really, really useful, even if they have exceptions. But if we're being 100% accurate, it's dangerous to think of something like this as a rule. And I don't think that it's automatically wrong to say something like "100,000 years ago, when sea levels were lower..." -- if we don't have a better alternative and the meaning still makes sense from the context, it could be perfectly fine, even on an official question.

Our lives would be much easier if the GMAT had more standardized (and enthusiastically capitalized) RULES for SC, but there unfortunately aren't too many of them. And this probably doesn't qualify as one.

I know: unsatisfying answer. But I hope it helps a little bit, anyway!

Hello GMATNinja,

I don't completely disagree with you, but one can't just use a comparative form without a "than". Comparative form is meant for comparison. I find this usage illogical.
Since, none of the answer choices uses a "than", we don't have much choice in this question.

I was merely curious about such usage because if I come across 2 options in which the ONLY difference is absence of a "than", then I shouldn't take into account this exception. Am I right in my understanding now?

Regards

Kudos if my post helps!

Long And A Fruitful Journey - V21 to V41; If I can, So Can You!!
Preparing for RC my way
RC Summary Activity - New Project to imporve RC Skills
Bloomberg's US Bschool Ranking

My study resources:
1. Useful Formulae, Concepts and Tricks-Quant | 2. e-GMAT's ALL SC Compilation | 3. LSAT RC compilation | 4. Actual LSAT CR collection by Broal | 5. QOTD RC (Carcass) | 6. Challange OG RC | 7. GMAT Prep Challenge RC

Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2018, 00:24
hazelnut wrote:

OFFICIAL SOLUTION

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2018, 09:25
Quote:

Spoiler: ::

Approach -

1)Eliminate A and C, had should not be used as the timeline is already clear through ago.
2)Eliminate E, species is singular and their is plural.
3) Eliminate D, use of has been is incorrect, ice ages were in the past.
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 06 Jul 2018, 11:58
Top Contributor
Doesn’t B suggest by the use of the past tense 'was' that the species was safe only at the time of migration?
However, the Cheetah is still safe today and therefore, shouldn't we take that the present perfect 'has been' is a better verb than the simple past?
Also, the question seems to jumble the issue of low sea levels with the migration and the ice ages. The species could not have migrated from North America to Asia other than by swimming, high-level or low-level of seawater.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 10 Oct 2018, 00:10
I marked D because "has been" is the correct usage rather than (was) in option B .
I fully agree with daagh sir.
Please need explanations for option B and Option D
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Genetic research suggests that after cheetah ancestors had migrated fr &nbs [#permalink] 10 Oct 2018, 00:10

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 24 posts ] 

Genetic research suggests that after cheetah ancestors had migrated fr

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap