It is currently 19 Sep 2017, 15:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

QOTD: The deer, despite having traveled hundreds

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16179 [1], given: 1951

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
QOTD: The deer, despite having traveled hundreds [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 11:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

32% (01:35) correct 68% (01:34) wrong based on 346 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 85: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

The deer, despite having traveled hundreds of miles to reach the Canadian wilderness and being free to roam without fear of highway traffic or other man-made dangers, has struggled to acclimate to the habitat that wildlife biologists had predicted would enable them to thrive.

(A) despite having traveled hundreds of miles to reach the Canadian wilderness and being free to roam without fear of highway traffic or other man-made dangers, has struggled
(B) in spite of having traveled hundreds of miles to reach the Canadian wilderness where it would be free to roam without fear of highway traffic or other man-made dangers, struggled
(C) despite having traveled hundreds of miles to reach the Canadian wilderness that offered freedom to roam without fear of highway traffic or other man-made dangers, had struggled
(D) after traveling hundreds of miles to reach the Canadian wilderness that offered freedom to roam without fear of highway traffic or other man-made dangers, struggles
(E) which traveled hundreds of miles to reach the Canadian wilderness where they would be free to roam without fear of highway traffic or other man-made dangers, struggled

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 16179 [1], given: 1951

Expert Post
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
G

Kudos [?]: 1322 [0], given: 362

GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 12:00
Quote:
(A) despite having traveled hundreds of miles to reach the Canadian wilderness and being free to roam without fear of highway traffic or other man-made dangers, has struggled

I’m not crazy about the “despite having traveled… and being free…”, but I’m not 100% sure that it’s wrong. I guess the sequencing makes sense, but it sounds awkward. Then again – “awkwardness” is a lame reason to eliminate an answer choice, especially on the first pass through. (See our beginners’ guide to SC for more on why “awkwardness” shouldn’t be your primary concern.)

But the verb tenses are a legit problem. “The deer… has struggled to acclimate to the habitat that wildlife biologists had predicted would enable them to thrive.” That doesn’t quite work: why would we pair the past perfect (“had predicted”) with an action in present perfect (“has struggled”)? I’d be OK if “has struggled” just said “struggled”, but this version doesn’t work.

More importantly: “the deer” is plural. More on that in a moment. Either way, (A) is out.

Quote:
(B) in spite of having traveled hundreds of miles to reach the Canadian wilderness where it would be free to roam without fear of highway traffic or other man-made dangers, struggled

Sneaky! “Deer” could be either singular or plural, so you have to let the question somehow “tell you” how to handle it. (Here’s an official example of this concept.) In this case, the word “them” is not underlined, so we know that “deer” has to be plural. So the “it” in (B) is wrong.

Quote:
(C) despite having traveled hundreds of miles to reach the Canadian wilderness that offered freedom to roam without fear of highway traffic or other man-made dangers, had struggled

I'm OK with basically everything here, except for the verb tenses: there’s no good reason to use the past perfect “had struggled” here, since we have no “time marker” (usually, another action in simple past tense) that occurred later. (C) is gone.

Quote:
(D) after traveling hundreds of miles to reach the Canadian wilderness that offered freedom to roam without fear of highway traffic or other man-made dangers, struggles

I feel kinda bad for the poor deer, because they’re still struggling in the present. But I can’t figure out why we would use present tense here, considering that we have another action in past perfect (“had predicted”). I think we need simple past tense in this case. (D) is gone.

Quote:
(E) which traveled hundreds of miles to reach the Canadian wilderness where they would be free to roam without fear of highway traffic or other man-made dangers, struggled

The “which” looks fine, “they” agrees with “them” later in the sentence, and the verb tense is finally correct. (E) is the winner.

www.gmatninja.com + GMAT blog + food blog + I'm really bad at PMs

Want expert SC and CR explanations? Check out our verbal Question of the Day! All of them are available here.

Need an expert reply? Hit the request verbal experts' reply button -- and then please be specific about your question for us. Feel free to tag @GMATNinja and @GMATNinjaTwo in your post.

Verbal Experts' Topics of the Week:
All Topics of the Week | Ultimate RC Guide for Beginners | Ultimate CR Guide for Beginners | Ultimate SC Guide for Beginners | 7 reasons why your actual GMAT scores don't match your practice test scores | How to get 4 additional "fake" GMAT Prep tests for $29.99... in any section order | How to go from great (760) to incredible (780) on GMAT SC | Using LSAT for GMAT CR & RC | That "-ing" Word Probably Isn't a Verb | That "-ed" Word Might Not Be a Verb, Either | No-BS Guide to GMAT Idioms | "Being" is not the enemy | WTF is "that" doing in my sentence?

YouTube verbal webinars: "Next-level" GMAT pronouns | Uses of "that" on the GMAT

Kudos [?]: 1322 [0], given: 362

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 100 [2], given: 115

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 12:15
This post received
KUDOS
My answer: E (Awaiting OA)

The deer, despite having traveled hundreds of miles to reach the Canadian wilderness and being free to roam without fear of highway traffic or other man-made dangers, has struggled to acclimate to the habitat that wildlife biologists had predicted would enable them to thrive.

(A) despite having traveled hundreds of miles to reach the Canadian wilderness and being free to roam without fear of highway traffic or other man-made dangers, has struggled -SV agreement. "has" should be "have".
(B) in spite of having traveled hundreds of miles to reach the Canadian wilderness where it would be free to roam without fear of highway traffic or other man-made dangers, struggled -SV agreement. "it" should be "they".
(C) despite having traveled hundreds of miles to reach the Canadian wilderness that offered freedom to roam without fear of highway traffic or other man-made dangers, had struggled -"perfect tense" can be avoided.
(D) after traveling hundreds of miles to reach the Canadian wilderness that offered freedom to roam without fear of highway traffic or other man-made dangers, struggles -SV agreement + tense issue
(E) which traveled hundreds of miles to reach the Canadian wilderness where they would be free to roam without fear of highway traffic or other man-made dangers, struggled -Correct.

Kudos [?]: 100 [2], given: 115

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7578 [0], given: 360

WE: Education (Education)
Re: QOTD: The deer, despite having traveled hundreds [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Aug 2017, 13:50
Top Contributor

(A) despite having traveled hundreds of miles to reach the Canadian wilderness and being free to roam without fear of highway traffic or other man-made dangers, has struggled --- Note the pronoun 'them' in the non-underlined part. The deer is plural; therefore, 'has struggled' is SV number mismatch

(B) in spite of having traveled hundreds of miles to reach the Canadian wilderness where it would be free to roam without fear of highway traffic or other man-made dangers, struggled -- do not see any point in the contrast marker 'in spite of'. The Canadian habitat would be helpful not because of their odyssey

(C) despite having traveled hundreds of miles to reach the Canadian wilderness that offered freedom to roam without fear of highway traffic or other man-made dangers, had struggled ---- 'The Struggle' was neither earlier nor simultaneous to 'had predicted'. Therefore, use of past perfect 'had struggled' is wrong

(D) after traveling hundreds of miles to reach the Canadian wilderness that offered freedom to roam without fear of highway traffic or other man-made dangers, struggles ---The singular 'struggles' is plain wrong.

(E) which traveled hundreds of miles to reach the Canadian wilderness where they would be free to roam without fear of highway traffic or other man-made dangers, struggled -- correct choice.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7578 [0], given: 360

Director
Director
G

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 41

Schools: Cambridge'16
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2017, 03:43
by meaning there is no need in "despite", "in spite of". So, ABC out. This sentence has Past Perfect in the end, so Simple Past should exist somewhere.

E

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 41

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2017, 06:45
Could someone help shed some light here? Is there a difference between 'in spite of' and 'despite'?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

VP
VP
G

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 489

Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: 314 Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2017, 10:39
souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 85: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

The answer is E

Which can refer to animals

A being free is not correct
B in spite of takes a noun
C there is no need of had
D present tense is wrong
E correct

We are more often frightened than hurt; and we suffer more from imagination than from reality

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 489

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 113

GPA: 3.7
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2017, 19:07
Paulli1982 wrote:
Could someone help shed some light here? Is there a difference between 'in spite of' and 'despite'?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 113

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 15

Concentration: General Management, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 640 Q40 V38
GPA: 3.05
WE: Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 22 Aug 2017, 19:55
The terminal segment of non underlined part "would enable them to thrive" tells us that "The Deer" refers to the deer species as a whole. So any options which contains "IT" will be wrong.

Sometimes you have to burn yourself to the ground before you can rise like a phoenix from the ashes.

Dr. Pratik

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 15

Manager
Manager
S

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 08:20
Hi,
Can we use 'which' fr animal?

Top Contributor
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7578 [1], given: 360

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 08:39
This post received
KUDOS
Top Contributor
VKat
Why not? e.g. The cow, which yielded 15 liters of milk in the competition got the first prize. We can also use 'that' as an alternative for an animal, but with different connotations.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7578 [1], given: 360

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2017, 13:02
For Me A, B and C are out because the non underlined part does not hint any contrast, so we dont need contrast words like despite and inspite. please correct me if I am wrong

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 317

Concentration: Finance, Marketing
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2017, 08:31
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:

I’m not crazy about the “despite having traveled… and being free…”, but I’m not 100% sure that it’s wrong. I guess the sequencing makes sense, but it sounds awkward. Then again – “awkwardness” is a lame reason to eliminate an answer choice, especially on the first pass through. (See our beginners’ guide to SC for more on why “awkwardness” shouldn’t be your primary concern.)

But the verb tenses are a legit problem. “The deer… has struggled to acclimate to the habitat that wildlife biologists had predicted would enable them to thrive.” That doesn’t quite work: why would we pair the past perfect (“had predicted”) with an action in present perfect (“has struggled”)? I’d be OK if “has struggled” just said “struggled”, but this version doesn’t work.

More importantly: “the deer” is plural. More on that in a moment. Either way, (A) is out.

Quote:

Sneaky! “Deer” could be either singular or plural, so you have to let the question somehow “tell you” how to handle it. (Here’s an official example of this concept.) In this case, the word “them” is not underlined, so we know that “deer” has to be plural. So the “it” in (B) is wrong.

Quote:

I'm OK with basically everything here, except for the verb tenses: there’s no good reason to use the past perfect “had struggled” here, since we have no “time marker” (usually, another action in simple past tense) that occurred later. (C) is gone.

Quote:

I feel kinda bad for the poor deer, because they’re still struggling in the present. But I can’t figure out why we would use present tense here, considering that we have another action in past perfect (“had predicted”). I think we need simple past tense in this case. (D) is gone.

Quote:

The “which” looks fine, “they” agrees with “them” later in the sentence, and the verb tense is finally correct. (E) is the winner.

Although E is correct in grammar but if you remove WHICH modifier, the meaning is lost.
I think DESPITE mentions the paradox clearly.

What do you think?

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 317

Re: QOTD: The deer, despite having traveled hundreds   [#permalink] 01 Sep 2017, 08:31