GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 10:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus the high

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

SVP
SVP
Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus the high  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Oct 2017, 19:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

69% (00:35) correct 31% (00:32) wrong based on 720 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Source : GMATPrep Default Exam Pack

Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus the high costs and low ethics of campaign finance, but they have generally overlooked the cost of actually administering elections, which includes facilities, transport, printing, staffing, and technology.

(A) Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus

(B) Analyses of campaign expenditures by the media has been focus on

(C) In analyzing campaign expenditures, the media have focused on

(D) Media analyses of campaign expenditures have had as a focus

(E) In their analysis of campaign expenditures, the media has been focusing on

hey ya......

Originally posted by nakib77 on 13 Oct 2005, 13:49.
Last edited by hazelnut on 17 Oct 2017, 19:35, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus the high  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Feb 2011, 07:07
By focusing only on the number of the word ‘media’, a larger issue has been ignored.

C refers to ‘media’ as plural while D maintains the plurality by referring to the subject as media analyses, Some may debate that it is the media that can analyse and focus and not the analyses by themselves. This is an aberrant proposition, because in any survey or study or report, it is the people behind that do the action, although we do mention that the survey reveals, study indicates and report points out and so on.

But still, can we equate media with media analyses? Logically yes, but not contextually, I suppose. The original text keeps the media as the subject. So C must be the answer for not distorting the subject.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Most Helpful Community Reply
Knewton GMAT Instructor
Schools: BA New School, PhD Candidate CUNY
Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus the high  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2011, 17:14
I think what's cool about this question is you don't need to be 100% certain of has/have to be tempted by the right answer. The modifying clause at the beginning is made clearer, and the main verb is simplified. Stylistically, it's a much better choice.

Here's a hint on how to be sure about whether "media" is singular/plural: Do you see another singular/plural world, in the non-underlined portion of the sentence, that tells us the number of "media" as used here?

--
Adam
GMAT Instructor
Knewton, Inc.

View Knewton's latest discount for GMAT Club members.

General Discussion
Manager
Manager
S
WE 1: 4.6 years Exp IT prof
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2010, 22:57
Can you please tell me the source as well....

I will give a Fight till the End

"To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
- Bernard Edmonds

A person who is afraid of Failure can never succeed -- Amneet Padda

Don't Forget to give the KUDOS

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 Sep 2010, 10:31
amneetpadda wrote:
Can you please tell me the source as well....

hi

if you see carefully its avery old post hence the author may not be very active on the forum !!...

Guys , for a second I was confused in deciding whether the media is singular or plural word ......

So i read the question again ....see carefully in the second part it says but they have generally overlooked

hence the question itself tells you ....once this as done then straight C ...cheers
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2011, 17:17
Hi Adam.....you nailed it ....its the word media that led me to choose a wrong ans. I do see expenditures as plural. How do you suggest i tackle this..thanks

Verbal:new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ajit

Knewton GMAT Instructor

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2011, 17:28
Again, there's another word later on that tells us whether "media" is singular or plural. Once you see this, there's no longer any question.

--
Adam
GMAT Instructor
Knewton, Inc.

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2011, 17:34
ah !..have focussed on high costs !

Verbal:new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ajit

Knewton GMAT Instructor

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2011, 17:37
The clue I'm actually talking about is the pronoun "they" later in the sentence. They is plural, and it's not underlined, and it without question refers to the "media." Thus, MEDIA IS PLURAL, so if media is the subject, it must be "have."

Whenever you have a confusion over subject/verb, look for a pronoun clue; whenever you have confusion over pronoun/antecedent, look for a verb clue. It doesn't always work, but sometimes there's extra info dropped for you there!

--
Adam
GMAT Instructor
Knewton, Inc.

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2011, 21:16
+1 C

"...has had as a focus" sounds ackward, doesn't it?

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Feb 2011, 22:31
metallicafan wrote:
+1 C

"...has had as a focus" sounds ackward, doesn't it?

Yes and it's grammatically incorrect as well ... I am curious though if "Have had as a focus" can be accepted if all other choices are wrong grammatically

Posted from my mobile device
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 21 Feb 2011, 00:28
True- the textual ‘the media has had as a focus' is grammatically wrong because of number disagreement.

However the issue here is whether choice D is correct. If that choice were to be discussed in an independent context, I would say it is a perfect sentence with a plural subject and a plural verb. But if the topic were a GMAT question, and if there were serious grammatical errors in choices ABCE, leaving only D as the best of the bads, then we may have to reconcile to D in spite of the distorted intent. In GMAT can you skip a question? You won't get the next question.

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2014, 21:58
Can anyone explain why D is incorrect here?

Media can very well be either singular or plural. D takes into account the use of "they" by using a plural subject. Also, I'm not sure how it can be reasoned in good faith that "analyses" cannot focus or ignore.

I just can't see why D is the wrong option. Since media can take either a plural or singular verb, while analyses must take a plural verb, is D not the more fool proof option?

I have read everything in this thread and the MGMAT thread. The common line is that the analyses cannot "overlook" something. However, can we not say "his analysis of the problem overlooks several key factors...." Is that not a correct sentence?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2014, 00:57
forevertfc wrote:
Can anyone explain why D is incorrect here?

Media can very well be either singular or plural. D takes into account the use of "they" by using a plural subject. Also, I'm not sure how it can be reasoned in good faith that "analyses" cannot focus or ignore.

I just can't see why D is the wrong option. Since media can take either a plural or singular verb, while analyses must take a plural verb, is D not the more fool proof option?

I have read everything in this thread and the MGMAT thread. The common line is that the analyses cannot "overlook" something. However, can we not say "his analysis of the problem overlooks several key factors...." Is that not a correct sentence?

Before we start looking at the options, let's do some pre-thinking and remove modifiers and prep phrases (that are not underlined)

Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus the high costs and low ethics of campaign finance, but they have generally overlooked the cost of actually administering elections, which includes facilities, transport, printing, staffing, and technology.

Also, the subject of the second independent clause is plural, and hence media must be plural.

A. Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus
Wrong option as media is singular. Doesn't agree with the question stem.

B. Analyses of campaign expenditures by the media has been focus on
they seem to refer to analyses. Wrong.
C. In analyzing campaign expenditures, the media have focused on
The media have focused on X, but they have overlooked Y - perfect construction with SV agreeing in number. Also, the co-ordinating conjunction 'but' separates the independent clauses well. No issues.
D. Media analyses of campaign expenditures have had as a focus
they refers to media analyses and hence this choice is wrong. How can media analyses overlook the cost of actually administering elections ? So D, is wrong.
E. In their analysis of campaign expenditures, the media has been focusing on
SV error again

Hope this is clear.

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Show Tags

New post 09 Sep 2017, 12:00

(A) Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus
- "media has" = incorrectly singular. hint: in the non-underlined part of the passage, "they have" -- so media = plural.

(B) Analyses of campaign expenditures by the media has been focus on
- same as "A"

(C) In analyzing campaign expenditures, the media have focused on
- correct as is

(D) Media analyses of campaign expenditures have had as a focus
- "media analyses ... have had as a focus" = awkward, wordy, and passive.

(E) In their analysis of campaign expenditures, the media has been focusing on
- same as "A"

definitely a helpful tip to pay attention to pronouns/other info that is not underlined so you can anchor what words to use in the underlined portion

kudos please if you find this helpful :)
Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 23:55

(A) Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus - Subject-verb agreement issue -- Media is plural here -- they have..

(B) Analyses of campaign expenditures by the media has been focus on - they refers to analyses

(C) In analyzing campaign expenditures, the media have focused on - Correct

(D) Media analyses of campaign expenditures have had as a focus - parallelism issue - have had as a focus... but have overlooked...

(E) In their analysis of campaign expenditures, the media has been focusing on - Subject-verb agreement issue as A

Answer C

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Re: Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus the high &nbs [#permalink] 25 Nov 2017, 23:55

Analyzing campaign expenditures, the media has had as a focus the high

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap