Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 07:07 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 07:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33036 [0]
Given Kudos: 5781
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Get into a Top 10 Business Program - Ask me Anything with mbaMission. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Sajjad1994 wrote:
I have one question in mind too. Do courses passed on Coursera actually help in one’s professional growth?

Good question! While schools like to see continuous learning, graded courses and official certifications definitely carry more weight (especially if a candidate is trying to demonstrate quant abilities)
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Re: Get into a Top 10 Business Program - Ask me Anything with mbaMission. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mbaMissionNishaT wrote:
Good question! While schools like to see continuous learning, graded courses and official certifications definitely carry more weight (especially if a candidate is trying to demonstrate quant abilities)

Thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 257
Send PM
Hi Nisha! Indian female here, aged 24.

Undergrad - B.Tech CSE (CGPA 8.71/10)
3 years experience in business development at an IT company (almost 4 years by the time I enroll)
IELTS - 8.5, planning to write the GRE and aiming for a 330
Target schools - NYU Stern, USC Marshall, UCLA
Post MBA sector: Entertainment Business

I’ve had leadership experience as part of clubs in college plus I’m part of a few organisations and projects in the music business which is what I’m aiming to get into.

How likely are my chances to get into my target schools and where can I improve to have a better chance?
Send PM
Expert Reply
rollingtides wrote:
Hi Nisha! Indian female here, aged 24. Undergrad - B.Tech CSE (CGPA 8.71/10) 3 years experience in business development at an IT company (almost 4 years by the time I enroll) IELTS - 8.5, planning to write the GRE and aiming for a 330 Target schools - NYU Stern, USC Marshall, UCLA Post MBA sector: Entertainment Business I’ve had leadership experience as part of clubs in college plus I’m part of a few organisations and projects in the music business which is what I’m aiming to get into. How likely are my chances to get into my target schools and where can I improve to have a better chance?

Hello! It looks like you have a strong GPA, and I’m glad you’re aiming high on GMAT. A couple of things to think about: 1. given how competitive the process is for Indian applicants, I would expand your target list past the U.S. Top 20 and 2. your post-MBA goals - positions in entertainment are limited, so you might think about a short-term goal that will position you for that industry in the longer term
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mbaMissionNishaT wrote:
Hello! It looks like you have a strong GPA, and I’m glad you’re aiming high on GMAT. A couple of things to think about: 1. given how competitive the process is for Indian applicants, I would expand your target list past the U.S. Top 20 and 2. your post-MBA goals - positions in entertainment are limited, so you might think about a short-term goal that will position you for that industry in the longer term

Would you mind elaborating a bit more on point number 2?

mbaMissionNishaT wrote:

Also, would you maybe have suggestions for other schools to expand my target list? I’m looking at schools that would have an attached music schools within campus that would allow me to take certain classes from that school as well

Originally posted by rollingtides on 27 Jun 2023, 11:15.
Last edited by rollingtides on 27 Jun 2023, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.
Send PM
Expert Reply
rollingtides wrote:
Would you mind elaborating a bit more on point number 2?

Yes: I would think about what function you ultimately want to enter in the entertainment industry. For example, if you want to do marketing, you might first enter a marketing role within tech (since you’ll have the transferrable skills/industry knowledge from IT). Also, keep in mind that many companies do not sponsor international applicants (though the OPT does help for the first few years)

rollingtides wrote:
Also, would you maybe have suggestions for other schools to expand my target list? I’m looking at schools that would have an attached music schools within campus that would allow me to take certain classes from that school as well

Unfortunately I’m not aware of which schools have music programs, but I would take a closer look at the US Top 25-50
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Will keep these in mind, thank you so much!
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
Everyone, we have around 10 minutes left in this chat session. Ask your questions quickly
GRE Forum Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply
niloferm1984, Hi

niloferm1984, What is your question?

All right, we are closing this chat session. Thank you Nisha and mbaMission for your time and inputs. We greatly appreciate it.

Thank you everyone for joining us, This chat is officially over

Originally posted by Sajjad1994 on 27 Jun 2023, 11:21.
Last edited by Sajjad1994 on 27 Jun 2023, 11:31, edited 2 times in total.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you everyone! Best of luck with your MBA application endeavors
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2