GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 00:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Global Mim LBS - One of a kind! (2015 intake)

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: LBS
Premium Member
Global Mim LBS - One of a kind! (2015 intake)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2014, 12:18
Hi!
I wanted to create a space where people who are interested in this course can share their views. Global MiM is a two-year, practice based degree delivered jointly by London Business School and leading Chinese institution, the Fudan School of Management.
The requirements for this program are the same as the requirements of the traditional LBS MIM except that competency in Mandarin is encouraged but is not mandatory. There is no doubt about the fact that this program will provide immense eastern and western exposure but is it worth studying this program due to the language barrier in Shanghai? (I am an Indian)

Replies/Queries are welcome!
Intern
Intern
Premium Member
Global Mim LBS - One of a kind! (2015 intake)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Jan 2015, 21:37
Urv27 wrote:
Hi!
I wanted to create a space where people who are interested in this course can share their views. Global MiM is a two-year, practice based degree delivered jointly by London Business School and leading Chinese institution, the Fudan School of Management.
The requirements for this program are the same as the requirements of the traditional LBS MIM except that competency in Mandarin is encouraged but is not mandatory. There is no doubt about the fact that this program will provide immense eastern and western exposure but is it worth studying this program due to the language barrier in Shanghai? (I am an Indian)

Hi there,

I attended the info session at LBS and my perception is that LBS is targeting those who wish to work in China/East Asia, or be involved with the region in some capacity (e.g. IB in Singapore but working on cross-border deals in China etc.). And a good way of demonstrating that interest is an attempt to learn about the Chinese culture and Mandarin.

If you can't present a convincing case on why China interests you and how you intend to use the Global MiM to further your intended career/job role after graduation, then your chances of getting in with a decent profile are slim. The exception to this is that if you have a stellar academics, work experience and a strong 'spike'- if so, then even a cursory mention of how you are 'learning Mandarin and are inspired by China's xyz and wish to work there', may be enough to at least bag an interview.

Ask yourself:
a) Do the potential benefits outweigh the financial and other opportunity costs involved in doing an additional year?
b) Does your intended career path require an understanding of China, and is a one-year academic experience the ideal way to go about this?
c) Do you enjoy stretching yourself, and venturing out of your comfort zone?
d) Have you researched about history and culture of China (India shares many commonalities with China, and has historically been a strong ally)?

As for your concerns about the language barrier, that's part of the experience and is not something which will hinder your learning and experience as the content will be taught in English- in fact, I think immersing yourself in a different culture for an extended period of time is the best way to gain an 'immense eastern exposure'. In addition, you will be able to take Mandarin language classes while at Fudan.

Also, send the admissions staff an email with your queries.

Originally posted by 0123456789r on 01 Jan 2015, 21:36.
Last edited by 0123456789r on 01 Jan 2015, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Premium Member
Re: Global Mim LBS - One of a kind! (2015 intake)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2015, 01:56
0123456789r wrote:
Urv27 wrote:
Hi!

Hi there,

I attended the info session at LBS and my perception is that LBS is targeting those who wish to work in China/East Asia, or be involved with the region in some capacity (e.g. IB in Singapore but working on cross-border deals in China etc.). And a good way of demonstrating that interest is an attempt to learn about the Chinese culture and Mandarin.

If you can't present a convincing case on why China interests you and how you intend to use the Global MiM to further your intended career/job role after graduation, then your chances of getting in with a decent profile are slim. The exception to this is that if you have a stellar academics, work experience and a strong 'spike'- if so, then even a cursory mention of how you are 'learning Mandarin and are inspired by China's xyz and wish to work there', may be enough to at least bag an interview.

Ask yourself:
a) Do the potential benefits outweigh the financial and other opportunity costs involved in doing an additional year?
b) Does your intended career path require an understanding of China, and is a one-year academic experience the ideal way to go about this?
c) Do you enjoy stretching yourself, and venturing out of your comfort zone?
d) Have you researched about history and culture of China (India shares many commonalities with China, and has historically been a strong ally)?

As for your concerns about the language barrier, that's part of the experience and is not something which will hinder your learning and experience as the content will be taught in English- in fact, I think immersing yourself in a different culture for an extended period of time is the best way to gain an 'immense eastern exposure'. In addition, you will be able to take Mandarin language classes while at Fudan.

Also, send the admissions staff an email with your queries.

Hi!
Thank you for sharing such important information. After going through the brochure sent by the Admissions team I understand that Global Mim is for those who wish to work in China/East Asia.
The reason that I am interested in this course is that it will open job opportunities for me in the eastern as well as western markets.
Considering the on going discussions relating to the immigration laws in the UK which support sending back the foreign students after their studies, I feel that this course might be more beneficial for me in terms of securing a job if not in the UK then at least in the eastern markets.
Intern
Intern
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Jan 2015, 09:42
Glad I could help! Yes, the growing anti-immigrant sentiment has unfortunately cast its shadow on students, and the government considered a proposal to send all foreign students back after graduation and hold their respective schools responsible for ensuring this.

However, this plan was shelved even before it could be brought into the open (it was leaked and it led to a furore from both sides of the House), and it is highly unlikely that the government will enact a law which forces students to return to countries irrespective of their level and type of qualification. London is the financial and commercial hub of the UK, and all the top companies are aware that they need a diverse and qualified workforce, of which non-EEA citizens comprise a healthy proportion of.

In addition, LBS has a stellar reputation and its recruitment rate of international students was hardly affected when the government made its visa requirements more stringent sometime in 2012 I believe. It is a hell of a competitive market out there- you are competing with not just UK applicants, but outstanding graduates across the whole of Europe applying to London. But you ought to at least land a couple of first-round interviews with the MiM, a good undergrad degree, solid work experience and ECs, (which I presume you have to be even considering LBS).

Considering that you are an Indian applicant, I presume you must be younger than 22 and if the financial aspect is not a concern, then I would strongly encourage you to consider the Global MiM as it is an amazing opportunity with long-term benefits and pretty much one of those 'once-in-a-lifetime' things. Plus, having a network of ambitious students and potential high-fliers in China can't be a bad thing! :wink:

Kudos, if I helped please. Thank you. :)
Intern
Intern
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2015, 08:26
0123456789r wrote:
Glad I could help! Yes, the growing anti-immigrant sentiment has unfortunately cast its shadow on students, and the government considered a proposal to send all foreign students back after graduation and hold their respective schools responsible for ensuring this.

However, this plan was shelved even before it could be brought into the open (it was leaked and it led to a furore from both sides of the House), and it is highly unlikely that the government will enact a law which forces students to return to countries irrespective of their level and type of qualification. London is the financial and commercial hub of the UK, and all the top companies are aware that they need a diverse and qualified workforce, of which non-EEA citizens comprise a healthy proportion of.

In addition, LBS has a stellar reputation and its recruitment rate of international students was hardly affected when the government made its visa requirements more stringent sometime in 2012 I believe. It is a hell of a competitive market out there- you are competing with not just UK applicants, but outstanding graduates across the whole of Europe applying to London. But you ought to at least land a couple of first-round interviews with the MiM, a good undergrad degree, solid work experience and ECs, (which I presume you have to be even considering LBS).

Considering that you are an Indian applicant, I presume you must be younger than 22 and if the financial aspect is not a concern, then I would strongly encourage you to consider the Global MiM as it is an amazing opportunity with long-term benefits and pretty much one of those 'once-in-a-lifetime' things. Plus, having a network of ambitious students and potential high-fliers in China can't be a bad thing! :wink:

Thank you!
It is a big relief to hear that those immigration decisions are not getting enough support. I can be less worried now.
I will try my level best to put forward a good application. Hoping for the best :D
Intern
Intern
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2015, 09:28
Urv27 wrote:
0123456789r wrote:

Thank you!
It is a big relief to hear that those immigration decisions are not getting enough support. I can be less worried now.
I will try my level best to put forward a good application. Hoping for the best :D

No worries! All the best, and let me know how it goes! :)
Intern
Intern
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2015, 01:56
Hi all!
Did anyone get an interview call for this programme?
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2015, 18:32
Urv27 wrote:
Hi all!
Did anyone get an interview call for this programme?

Hi Urv27! I was interviewed for this exact program (entering class of 2015) on January 30th, 2015 in New York City. I was admitted into the program this morning, right when I woke up :)

How about you? Have you applied or heard anything from the Admissions Committee?
Current Student
Schools: LBS (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2015, 04:51
Hi everyone,

I just received my admission notice yesterday. Super excited for the program!
Would like to get to know some other people on the program, so don't be shy and reply :)
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V24
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V37

Show Tags

New post 05 Sep 2018, 23:36
Hi!

I'm in the process of writing essays for the Global MiM program but not quite sure what the video questions are like. If the questions are known prior to the submission of initial essays, I can make a comprehensive record of what could be written now and while answering the video questions later. Can anyone share their knowledge on what they could be or any current student (or alumni) could share what they were when he/she applied. Thanks in advance!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Global Mim LBS - One of a kind! (2015 intake) &nbs [#permalink] 05 Sep 2018, 23:36

Global Mim LBS - One of a kind! (2015 intake)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap