Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 07:31 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 07:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11668 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: [HELP] GMAT 6-9 Month Plan (600+ Score) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Hnoorshn,

How much time do you think you'll spend on this math 'prep' work? You certainly have plenty of time to get everything done and hit your score goals, so you might be tempted to be 'casual' about your studies. I recommend that you set a schedule that you can follow, even for this part of the process. Many Test Takers find that everything takes longer than they plan for - since you have so much time, you should work diligently through the process (and that just takes a bit of forethought and commitment on your part).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Hnoorshn,

How much time do you think you'll spend on this math 'prep' work? You certainly have plenty of time to get everything done and hit your score goals, so you might be tempted to be 'casual' about your studies. I recommend that you set a schedule that you can follow, even for this part of the process. Many Test Takers find that everything takes longer than they plan for - since you have so much time, you should work diligently through the process (and that just takes a bit of forethought and commitment on your part).

Rich

I haven't planned out anything yet but i make sure i study at least 2 hours/day on Weekdays and 5hours on weekends. I have already finished the Chapter on Basic Arithmetic. It was easy but as usual i spent way too much time solving each question. I want to finish this prep course by the end of October. I am not casual about it at all , actually i feel i am no where near the level i should be. Some questions took me more than 10 mins to solve and thats just BAD.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Hnoorshn,

You should NOT be focused on your pacing right now. At this point in the process, you're reacquainting yourself with the 'math' and developing your skills (it's not that much different from learning to play a musical instrument - there are 'mechanical aspects' to the process and patterns; it will take time to learn to perform everything correctly/quickly, etc.). Right now, the emphasis should be on accuracy. Speed will improve with time and repetition.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Hnoorshn,

You should NOT be focused on your pacing right now. At this point in the process, you're reacquainting yourself with the 'math' and developing your skills (it's not that much different from learning to play a musical instrument - there are 'mechanical aspects' to the process and patterns; it will take time to learn to perform everything correctly/quickly, etc.). Right now, the emphasis should be on accuracy. Speed will improve with time and repetition.

Rich

Finished my Math foundation course Yesterday and decided to try out a few Questions from the Verbal portion. I was totally wrong, the Math Section seems difficult but if you learn the basics and give it time , that it deserves , almost every single question can be solved. That's not the case with verbal.
I bought two books
I) Kaplan Verbal Foundation
II) Manhattan Foundations of GMAT verbal.
Nothing makes sense, everything seems arbitrary. There are no fix methods,Rules or solutions one can use to solve Verbal problems. I need to work on the Verbal portion way more than the Quant Portion. Where should i start ? The Foundation books are way too difficult for me.

PS
The Math foundation course was a little too easy. I scored a 100% in more or less every topic/section.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Hnoorshn,

If you're finding the Verbal section to be really challenging, then you'll probably need more than just a few books to help you improve your skills in this section. The truth is that the Verbal section of the GMAT is just as predictable and standardized as the Quant section is, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. The 'patterns' in the Verbal questions that you need to look for are more conceptual though (instead of using a 'formula' - as you would do with a Quant question, you have to look for grammar rules in SCs and logical 'constructs' in RCs and CRs).

For example, 'causality' (the idea that one thing causes another to occur) is a common pattern in CR questions. You have to learn how to spot it when it appears, what it ultimately 'means', how to strengthen and weaken it, etc. You would likely find it easier to learn all of these concepts, the Tactics to beat them, the patterns and 'secrets' of the Verbal section, etc., if you used an online Course of some type.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[HELP] GMAT 6-9 Month Plan (600+ Score) [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Hnoorshn,

If you're finding the Verbal section to be really challenging, then you'll probably need more than just a few books to help you improve your skills in this section. The truth is that the Verbal section of the GMAT is just as predictable and standardized as the Quant section is, so you CAN train to score at a higher level. The 'patterns' in the Verbal questions that you need to look for are more conceptual though (instead of using a 'formula' - as you would do with a Quant question, you have to look for grammar rules in SCs and logical 'constructs' in RCs and CRs).

For example, 'causality' (the idea that one thing causes another to occur) is a common pattern in CR questions. You have to learn how to spot it when it appears, what it ultimately 'means', how to strengthen and weaken it, etc. You would likely find it easier to learn all of these concepts, the Tactics to beat them, the patterns and 'secrets' of the Verbal section, etc., if you used an online Course of some type.

Rich

I have pin pointed my main weakness. Its Sentence correction and telling whether the word is a verb or NOT.
Detecting gerunds, Adjectives, pronouns, infinitives etc are relatively easy and i get 70% of the questions right but when asked to find Verb, i end up choosing the wrong word.

For example "The executive has been accused of embezzling funds"

I thought accused was the Verb but it's not. The right answer is "has been".

Lets say i get 50% SC questions wrong can i still get a 600+ score ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Hnoorshn,

There are a variety of different score 'combinations' that can get you a 600, so the answer to your immediate question is "YES" - but it's really too early to be thinking about that right now. It's ALSO too early to assume that you're capable of getting only half of SCs correct on Test Day. You have LOTS of time remaining to study. Keep working hard and remember that it takes time to build up all of the skills that you'll need to hit your score goal.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Hnoorshn,

There are a variety of different score 'combinations' that can get you a 600, so the answer to your immediate question is "YES" - but it's really too early to be thinking about that right now. It's ALSO too early to assume that you're capable of getting only half of SCs correct on Test Day. You have LOTS of time remaining to study. Keep working hard and remember that it takes time to build up all of the skills that you'll need to hit your score goal.

Rich

Hello,

I just gave my first CAT (Veritas) and as expected i scored a 450 (30Q, 20V), i wasn't expecting much to begin with, that's why i decided to give myself 9 months to prepare

I am quite sure i can improve my score.

1) I have another 8 months.
2) I haven't even touched data sufficiency and word problems.
3) This was the first time i saw SC,CR,PR questions ( I have yet to start the main Verbal course).
4) I had no idea what the IR section looked like before i gave the test.

Things that i learned from the test.
1)This is an Endurance and Stress test. (Learn how to manage stress and not break.)
2)Like most people i am not used to starring at the screen for hours.
3)One might feel extremely bored during the test.
4) Not used to concentrating on things for such lengthy periods.

Next on 14th December hopefully i can take it to 500.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Hnoorshn,

Considering the number of different areas of the Exam that you have not studied for yet, this initial CAT score is reasonable. One of the really important parts of any study plan is to do a full review of your CATs. By determining WHY you got certain questions wrong, you'll be in a better position to study more effectively and improve.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Having a lot of problems with the CR section right now.Most of the times i feel all the answer choices are illogical or based on assumptions which can neither be proven true nor false.
Every correct answer can be proven "wrong/false" by proving the premise wrong.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Hnoorshn,

Most of the CR 'arguments' that you'll read on Test Day are 'thin' (meaning that they're not particularly strong arguments - they're generally based on just 1-2 pieces of information). In that way, you should be able to define why the author thinks what he/she thinks (the assumption) or strengthen/weaken the prompt with additional information. You do NOT get to 'debate' the prompt though - it is information that you need to answer the question that is asked.

It might be that the resources that you're using are not properly preparing you to handle the Verbal section OR it might be that you haven't practiced enough yet. To start, do you understand the logic behind each of the CR prompts (do you understand the conclusion offered and the evidence to support it - regardless of how thin the logic is)?

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Hnoorshn,

Most of the CR 'arguments' that you'll read on Test Day are 'thin' (meaning that they're not particularly strong arguments - they're generally based on just 1-2 pieces of information). In that way, you should be able to define why the author thinks what he/she thinks (the assumption) or strengthen/weaken the prompt with additional information. You do NOT get to 'debate' the prompt though - it is information that you need to answer the question that is asked.

It might be that the resources that you're using are not properly preparing you to handle the Verbal section OR it might be that you haven't practiced enough yet. To start, do you understand the logic behind each of the CR prompts (do you understand the conclusion offered and the evidence to support it - regardless of how thin the logic is)?

Rich

I am using the Veritas On-Demand course . The problem isn't that i am getting a lot of CR questions wrong , the problem is that sometimes i feel the answer don't logically follow the premises.

I already know that there are 4 type of questions
1)Strengthen
2)Weaken
3)Inference (draw a conclusion)
4) Method of reasoning.

After reading your post i decided to go through a few OG16 CR questions and i got most of them right. I don't know but for some reason the same logic that was flawed Veritas CR questions worked fine when attempting OG16 CR questions. Maybe i was tired last night and stressed out maybe thats why i was getting most questions wrong which infuriated me and the answers not being as clear as "Quant" questions further angered me.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Hnoorshn,

There are more than just those 4 CR types, but maybe you haven't done enough study yet to have practiced them all. Since you're currently using a Course, it would make sense for you to finish up that Course. Based on how your CAT scores go in the coming weeks and months, you might need some additional resources. Thankfully, you have given yourself plenty of time to maximize your performance on Test Day.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Hnoorshn,

There are more than just those 4 CR types, but maybe you haven't done enough study yet to have practiced them all. Since you're currently using a Course, it would make sense for you to finish up that Course. Based on how your CAT scores go in the coming weeks and months, you might need some additional resources. Thankfully, you have given yourself plenty of time to maximize your performance on Test Day.

Rich

I still have 6-7 months. Initially i felt 9 months were sufficient but after reading posts online i have realized a lot of people need to study way more than just 9 months to get a 600+ score. Maybe i am one of them. Lets see what happens.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
OK here is one Veritas Prep CR Question.

Acid rain, caused by high levels of sulfur dioxide and mercury trapped in global air currents, affects one third of China’s territory.Coal-fired power plants are notorious for emitting large quantities of these pollutants.To combat the problem, the Chinese national government has set aggressive environmental goals for the next five years.These goals include a 20-percent improvement in energy efficiency and a pledge that, by the end of the five years, 10 percent of the nation’s energy will come from renewable resources such as hydroelectric or wind power.

Which of the following, if true, is the best criticism of the Chinese government’s strategy as a method for achieving a reduction in acid rain?
(A) Some forms of air pollution, such as heavy particulate fumes, would not be affected by the suggested energy improvements.
(B) Once the changes have been implemented, the actual reduction in acid rain would vary from region to region.
(C) The goals would be forced on every region in China, including those that have no problems with acid rain.
(D) Acid rain is also caused by other factors, such as volcanic eruptions or pollution from neighboring countries, over which China has no control.
(E) Regional Chinese officials tend to ignore environmental regulations in order to meet aggressive economic requirements imposed on their regions’ industries.

According to Veritas, the correct answer is (E).My reasoning was that if acid rain is caused by other factors over which China has no control, even if the official were serious about environmental issues, the plan still wouldn't work. (Answer choice D)

Further explanation.

This is how i saw the questions. The Chinese Govt wants to a) "combat the problem" by b) Setting up aggressive environmental goals.

Will implementing (b) necessarily reduce acid rain ?

I have to assume that these goals will necessarily lead to the reduction of acid rain. But why should i assume that ? Answer choice D clearly creates an opening for weakening this by challenging this assumption. What if the plan is inherently flawed and the implementation is not an issue at all.

How can i assume that the Chinese govt has taken all the factors into consideration except one i.e. officials don't take environmental issues seriously. What if they completely overlooked the fact that other factors over which they have no control cause acid rain.

So now why is Answer choice E correct and not answer choice D ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Hnoorshn,

To get the most responses/advice, you should post this prompt in the CR Sub-Forum here:

gmat-critical-reasoning-cr-139/

The correct answer to this question MUST focus on the Plan involved. The question asks you to critique the Government's Strategy, so you have to critique the plan (and not some other factor that the plan has no impact on). Answer D is one of the common wrong answer types I alluded to earlier.

Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Hnoorshn,

To get the most responses/advice, you should post this prompt in the CR Sub-Forum here:

gmat-critical-reasoning-cr-139/

The correct answer to this question MUST focus on the Plan involved. The question asks you to critique the Government's Strategy, so you have to critique the plan (and not some other factor that the plan has no impact on). Answer D is one of the common wrong answer types I alluded to earlier.

Rich

Thank you. Actually you were right, i didn't have enough practice .Just finished the Veritas CR section got 40 out of 49 right. (Got 3 questions wrong in the last 20 questions). Then tried some OG16 CR questions, which were way easier than the Veritas CR Questions, got all 21 right.

Once again thank you.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2