GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 16 Feb 2020, 19:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT 640 (v35 q43) - should I retake?

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 640 (v35 q43) - should I retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2019, 03:07
Hey guys,

I just finished my first GMAT attempt w/ 640 V35 Q43. IMD is one of the top schools I want to apply to. Is this score too low given some of the below mentioned facts:

1. Indian Male
2. 9 years of work ex - currently Director of Operations for a startup, previously Country Head/VP for a Research firm managing about 40 people directly.
3. Lived in Hong Kong for 4 years managing a multinational team based in Singapore, Hong Kong, Mumbai and New York.
4. Owned P&L of USD 1m in both roles as Director of Operations and Country Head
5. Completed MSc in Finance from Cass Business School in 2009

Look forward to hearing from you.
Mihir
HEC & IMD School Moderator
P
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
Schools: HEC'22 (J), IMD '22
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
GMAT 640 (v35 q43) - should I retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 Apr 2019, 03:25
Hi,
I am also going to apply to IMD soon. GMAT for Indian nationals are required higher than 640. Though IMD doesn't put stress on GMAT but still, it would be better for you to give another try in a quick time. You must focus on Quant, which looks your weaker part. If re-take is not possible, then I suggest you to apply. If they will not like only the GMAT score, they will ask you to re-take if your overall application is strong. Just to inform you, R3 deadline is August 1 for Jan 2020 intake. All the best for your application.

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by Leadership on 21 Apr 2019, 03:16.
Last edited by Leadership on 21 Apr 2019, 03:25, edited 1 time in total.
INSEAD School Moderator
V
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: GMAT 640 (v35 q43) - should I retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2019, 03:20
mihirsuvanam wrote:
Hey guys,

I just finished my first GMAT attempt w/ 640 V35 Q43. IMD is one of the top schools I want to apply to. Is this score too low given some of the below mentioned facts:

1. Indian Male
2. 9 years of work ex - currently Director of Operations for a startup, previously Country Head/VP for a Research firm managing about 40 people directly.
3. Lived in Hong Kong for 4 years managing a multinational team based in Singapore, Hong Kong, Mumbai and New York.

Mihir
I don't mean to be rude but I'm kind of surprised you're even asking the question given that the average is 670. You are Indian, so for you is going to be *at least* 20 points above that.

As amazing as your background might be, it's actually very common there and you're always going to find another amazing Indian applicant with an amazing background *and* a high test score.

Also, I always tell everybody if you have a better score in you than your score is too low and you need retake it okay?

This process is not about evaluation but selection it's not about is the score good enough it's how is the score going to fare against my competition. There's a limited number of seats for dealing with, 90 people.

So yes I would definitely retake the test, if the GRE comes out as more favorable you might want to go that direction. I've had people prepare for the GMAT for years and then take the GRE and do far better even without a lot of preparation.

You're not going to want to hear this but it's unfortunate that you're not going to be able to submit for round two, as an Indian you really need to get those earlier rounds. If you can wait a year I would strongly recommend that.

You might consider the strategy of applying first to hit that deadline and let them know you are in the process of improving your GMAT. Sometimes it works. But you would need to submit a score soon after and let them know when you're taking the test.

This should only matter if they're very interested in your profile of course and that should be pretty well articulated. the positive is that the application essays are not too big of a deal, CV is annoying and you do need to come up with a compelling branding statement but it's something you could do in a weekend.

http://mbaprepcoach.com
Director
V
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2019, 08:57
mihirsuvanam wrote:
Hey guys,

1. Indian Male

Mihir

Hi, for your profile 640 is a very decent score. If you put efforts on profile building like Essay and CV you have fair chances to get admission in IMD. all the best. :thumbup:
CAT Forum Moderator
D
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 21 Apr 2019, 10:35
mihirsuvanam wrote:
Hey guys,

1. Indian Male

Mihir

You have a very good profile and therefore I would recommend you to give it another shot. Invest in an online course to ensure that you can fully focus on getting a higher score.

Best wishes!:)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT 640 (v35 q43) - should I retake?   [#permalink] 21 Apr 2019, 10:35

GMAT 640 (v35 q43) - should I retake?

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Leadership