GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 20 Nov 2019, 12:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

GMAT 740 should I retake?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 740 should I retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 19 Oct 2019, 03:59
Hi, I'm hoping you would be able to help. I just took the real GMAT and scored 740 (V41, Q49, IR 8)

To be honest I'm a little upset as my last two official practice tests had been 760 (V35-36). I suppose the nerves must have gotten to me as I did feel like the verbal was difficult.

I'm aiming for Harvard. I'm a 28 year old female who has been working in a FTSE 100 company for 5 years in a tech role. I went to one of the best unis in the UK and have an equivalent of a 4.0

What would you do?

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by lcarpenter on 19 Oct 2019, 03:30.
Last edited by lcarpenter on 19 Oct 2019, 03:59, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
V
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V30
GPA: 3.97
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: GMAT 740 should I retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2019, 03:39
First of all, congratulations for getting a great GMAT score. If your aim is Harvard, then you definitely shouldn't. You already have a 97 percentile. 760-800 is 99 percentile. I have seen people getting rejected with even a perfect 800. it won't make much of a difference your gmat score is amazing. I think it'd be nice if you focus on other aspects of your applications right now

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2019, 03:46
Abhi077 wrote:
First of all, congratulations for getting a great GMAT score. If your aim is Harvard, then you definitely shouldn't. You already have a 97 percentile. 760-800 is 99 percentile. I have seen people getting rejected with even a perfect 800. it won't make much of a difference your gmat score is amazing. I think it'd be nice if you focus on other aspects of your applications right now

Thanks a lot! Do you know how likely it is for the official score report to be different to the unofficial one I got on the test day as well?

Senior PS Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2019, 03:49
lcarpenter wrote:
Hi, I'm hoping you would be able to help. I just took the real GMAT and scored 740 (V31, Q49, IR 8)

To be honest I'm a little upset as my last two official practice tests had been 760 (V35-36). I suppose the nerves must have gotten to me as I did feel like the verbal was difficult.

I'm aiming for Harvard. I'm a 28 year old female who has been working in a FTSE 100 company for 5 years in a tech role. I went to one of the best unis in the UK and have an equivalent of a 4.0

What would you do?

Hey lcarpenter - I think you meant V41 :)

I agree with Abhi077 as far as writing the exam again is concerned.

Round 1 application for most schools(including Harvard) is already done. You have
very little time before the Round 2 application deadlines. For instance, the Round2
deadlines for Harvard is January 6, 2020. Work on creating a stellar application as
GMAT is only one aspect of your application. You could post a detailed profile
evaluation request in the Admission Consultant forum and seek help with regards
to your application

All the best for the application phase and congrats on the awesome score.

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2019, 03:59
Thanks for the advice! I did mean V41 :)

I am aiming for round 2- I have an up to date CV already and know of a few people to write me a reference from my company :) will start working on the essays. Thank you!

EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2019, 16:43
Hi lcarpenter,

First off, a 740/Q49 is an outstanding Score, so you can comfortably apply to ANY Business Schools that interest you. As such, a retest is not necessary. Since you're interested in at least one highly-competitive School, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Status: PhD-trained. Education, Research, Teaching, Training, Consulting and Advisory Services
CAT Tests
GMAT 740 should I retake?  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2019, 18:16
lcarpenter wrote:
Hi, I'm hoping you would be able to help. I just took the real GMAT and scored 740 (V41, Q49, IR 8)

What would you do?

A retake is not necessary regardless of the school given the short timelines. This is already an excellent score and you risk a lower score upon retake. Scores can move in either direction.

The other main reason is that your application will be looked at as a whole. A good test score is only one part. Demographics also may count in the evaluation.

I would also encourage you to post your test experience from preparation to test day. Readers here would appreciate reading about your experience. Some may benefit. GL in your apps!

CR Forum Moderator
V
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2019, 21:06
Congratulations lcarpenter on 740! It's an Amazing score!

IMO you should concentrate on your applications instead of retake

Project CR Butler - 2 CR's everyday
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2019, 19:57
Hi lcarpenter,

740 is a fantastic GMAT score, and I don’t see any reason why you need to retake the GMAT. Good luck with things moving forward.

Scott Woodbury-Stewart

Founder and CEO

Scott@TargetTestPrep.com
TTP - Target Test Prep Logo
122 Reviews

5-star rated online GMAT quant
self study course

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

If you find one of my posts helpful, please take a moment to click on the "Kudos" button.

GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAT 740 should I retake?   [#permalink] 22 Oct 2019, 19:57

GMAT 740 should I retake?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep