Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:53 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [1]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.66
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72889 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Send PM
Re: GMAT Appointment Scheduled - Any Ideas - Final Month of Prep [#permalink]
Well, I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the result you wanted. I too got a 640 first go around and can relate to the disapointment.
Take a couple weeks off to recuperate and then I'm certain we can all help you think through new study plans.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT Date: 11-30-2011
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Hey,

How well do you think can one project his scores on the basis of his mock scores at mgmat ?

I know its really damn difficult to answer this with any sort of accuracy since D-day and routine mocks are different , but yet do you guys think that one can project his scores on the basis of scores at mgmat ?

BB,

I am sure you would have something to comment on this, because you must have come across results of many who have shared their mgmat and real gmat scores.

thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Just came back a couple days ago from the beach. Was good to relax, but I'm ready to get back and get focused on getting my score. Not sure where to begin though. Planning to study a few hrs this evening.

Any recommendations? I could run back through the MGMAT study guides, work questions I have already done, or focus on the material I have yet to touch in the green and blue OG books. I feel much more confident in general regarding verbal so, I imagine I should emphasize quant. I would like to take the test at the end of February or first week of March. Ideally, I'd like to use Official GMAC questions for practice. However, I have worked every question in the OG 12th ed.

bb wrote:
Ah... sorry to hear about only 20 points of improvement but sounds like you are dead on with your MGMAT CAT 3.

Does not sound like much has gone wrong - go on vacation; enjoy some time off. You can try to grab a copy of the GMAT Roadmap and see if you can find some tips for studying/improving there. I would also recommend meeting up with your instructor and doing an exit interview of sorts or a consultation (if the teacher was good)..... I don't think they should be feeling great about your score either since you came with 620 and left with 640....

P.S. Did you sign up with MGMAT with a GMAT club promo code?
if you did, you are eligible for free GMAT Club Tests.

Didn't use a promo code from the club. I bought a deal on Guilt City and got the class for half price. I am going to look into GMAT roadmap and contact MGMAT for advice on where to go from here. Not sure how helpful they'll be...

LadyRoadWarrior wrote:
Well, I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get the result you wanted. I too got a 640 first go around and can relate to the disapointment.
Take a couple weeks off to recuperate and then I'm certain we can all help you think through new study plans.

Thanks, I was more frustrated than anything. I know the percentiles and scorings have changed since back when I took it in 2008, but back then I just bought a Kaplan book and pulled a 620 with 3 or so weeks of prep. So I was pretty mad when I put in 4 months and took a class and gained 20 points. I still don't think it reflects my capability and I get in my own head.

Best takeaway for me is that I scored close to what I want twice!

Do you have any suggestions of where to begin. How exactly did you address the situation when you got back to it.

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mohater wrote:
Are you keeping an error log?

Using my MGMAT website we have an error log on there for all OG questions. Can also run analysis on my performance on MGMAT Cats by question type. I'm not sure how accurate this error log would be b/c I re-did lots of questions. Can run analysis on my last couple CATS to see weak areas but question type and subject, but I just want to make sure I'm not wasting any time. Not sure whether to just re-work OG questions or to study the guides, or both.

I can show screen shots of metrics tool if that helps.

Thanks,

Neil
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
neilferrini wrote:

Using my MGMAT website we have an error log on there for all OG questions. Can also run analysis on my performance on MGMAT Cats by question type. I'm not sure how accurate this error log would be b/c I re-did lots of questions. Can run analysis on my last couple CATS to see weak areas but question type and subject, but I just want to make sure I'm not wasting any time. Not sure whether to just re-work OG questions or to study the guides, or both.

I can show screen shots of metrics tool if that helps.

Thanks,

Neil

Your error log must be ongoing and continuous. The MGMAT error log helps you identify weak subsections. You must take this to figure out WHY you getting certain topics incorrect (weak in SC, weak in area equations, weak with geo, etc.). Your verbal score at a 38 is around that 80 percentile mark and enough for break a 700. You need to get your quant score to a 48 or so to be 80 percentile in both sections.

The MGAMT error log will get you part way there. You need to analyze the data and figure out the WHY aspect of this. My own personal experience: On my first GMAT attempt, I would solve SC questions in my head. Little did I recognize that my thoughts were grammatically incorrect. Once I realized this (through an analysis of my own personal error log and the MGMAT error log), I set a goal to force myself to "think" in more grammatically correct terms. This helped me inch my verbal score from a 36 to a 38.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Quote:

Your error log must be ongoing and continuous. The MGMAT error log helps you identify weak subsections. You must take this to figure out WHY you getting certain topics incorrect (weak in SC, weak in area equations, weak with geo, etc.). Your verbal score at a 38 is around that 80 percentile mark and enough for break a 700. You need to get your quant score to a 48 or so to be 80 percentile in both sections.

The MGAMT error log will get you part way there. You need to analyze the data and figure out the WHY aspect of this. My own personal experience: On my first GMAT attempt, I would solve SC questions in my head. Little did I recognize that my thoughts were grammatically incorrect. Once I realized this (through an analysis of my own personal error log and the MGMAT error log), I set a goal to force myself to "think" in more grammatically correct terms. This helped me inch my verbal score from a 36 to a 38.

Thanks for the help. I used two tools in my MGMAT student center:

- Analysis on my two most recent practice tests
- OG Archer stat tracker - tracks stats on my OG problems

I found the following

QUANT:

- PROBLEM SOLVING OVERALL: I have no issues with the 300 to 600 level questions - The 600 to 800 level questions I have a low success rate
- DATA SUFFICIENCY OVERALL: I have no issues at the 300 to 500 level questions - The 500 to 800 level questions I am pretty spotty.
- WEAK AREAS: Probability & Combinatorics, Algebraic Translations, Basic Equations, Equations with Exponents, Functions, Circles & Cylinders, Odds & Evens, Exponents & Roots, Fractions, Decimals, and Percents

VERBAL:

- RC: My worst area. Miss questions at all levels 300 to 800. I am weak across the board on all RC ? types: Inference, Detail, Main Idea, Structure
- CR: Need to focus on 600 to 800 Level questions. Weak at strengthen & weaken, explain a situation, and mimic the argument
- SC: Solid at the 300 to 700 Level. Need to focus on 700 to 800 Level. Weak performance on modifiers, concision, verbs, and comparisons

Now that I have some focus areas though, I'm not sure where to direct my attention regarding these areas. I don't want to kill time unnecessarily by working problems without knowing material, but I also don't want to cover redundant material in strategy guides. This is where I am confused...If I should just re work the problems I worked in the past from the 12th ed. and review them thoroughly. Last time I was working with 4 months. This time I have about 2.

Thanks for the help again!
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
In the 700-800 level difficulty, the GMAT will mix topics (mix grammar rules, mix algebra and geo, etc) to make the problems more challenging. For those, you must address your weakest single subsection and ensure you can combine topics on a single problem.

600-700 may or may not mix topics.

<600, there is no topic mixing. These tend to be more linear problems.

Now that you have an idea, work on your weakest sections first (your score is only as good as your weakest section). Use your error log to figure out WHY you are spotty. Do you have area equations memorized incorrectly? Do you skip steps and make silly mistakes on algebra problems? Do you read passages too quickly?

You're on the right track.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I agree with the comments made by others about identifying weak vs strong areas via error logs or other methods and then concentrating your efforts.

A few other thoughts:
- I would focus much more on quant than verbal... your Q42 is ~63rd percentile, which I think may set of some.... yellow(?) flags for the adcom, whereas your verbal score is 80th+. If it were up to me, I would spend 75% of my study time on quant.
- How is your stamina? I found that increasing stamina, particularly on quant, made a major difference. My approach was completing several sets of 37 problems on a weekend day. I would review correct/incorrect after each set, but only do detailed review after I completed 3+ sets. On test day, those 37 problems seemed simple in comparison.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mohater wrote:
In the 700-800 level difficulty, the GMAT will mix topics (mix grammar rules, mix algebra and geo, etc) to make the problems more challenging. For those, you must address your weakest single subsection and ensure you can combine topics on a single problem.

600-700 may or may not mix topics.

<600, there is no topic mixing. These tend to be more linear problems.

Now that you have an idea, work on your weakest sections first (your score is only as good as your weakest section). Use your error log to figure out WHY you are spotty. Do you have area equations memorized incorrectly? Do you skip steps and make silly mistakes on algebra problems? Do you read passages too quickly?

You're on the right track.

Thank you for the help. As I continue studying, is the online MGMAT statistics tool sufficient as an error log?

LadyRoadWarrior wrote:
I agree with the comments made by others about identifying weak vs strong areas via error logs or other methods and then concentrating your efforts.

A few other thoughts:
- I would focus much more on quant than verbal... your Q42 is ~63rd percentile, which I think may set of some.... yellow(?) flags for the adcom, whereas your verbal score is 80th+. If it were up to me, I would spend 75% of my study time on quant.
- How is your stamina? I found that increasing stamina, particularly on quant, made a major difference. My approach was completing several sets of 37 problems on a weekend day. I would review correct/incorrect after each set, but only do detailed review after I completed 3+ sets. On test day, those 37 problems seemed simple in comparison.

LadyRoadWarrior thx again for the input. I am definitely going to stress quant. As far as stamina, I think I'm average. I could use improvement though. I have just worked each problem and then checked them afterwards (recommended by the mgmat class). When you worked 37 problem sets, how did you pick questions? How did you time them? Did you time them at 2 min per ? or give yourself 75 min and just work them?

I am thinking about March 9th for taking the exam. That gives me about 50 days to study. I am going to Costa Rica with a few friends March 14th - 18th, so I would like to have it done by then, but I want to make sure I get it done right this time!!!!

This is great info/advice. Thanks again.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
neilferrini wrote:

LadyRoadWarrior wrote:

A few other thoughts:

LadyRoadWarrior thx again for the input. I am definitely going to stress quant. As far as stamina, I think I'm average. I could use improvement though. I have just worked each problem and then checked them afterwards (recommended by the mgmat class). When you worked 37 problem sets, how did you pick questions? How did you time them? Did you time them at 2 min per ? or give yourself 75 min and just work them?

I am thinking about March 9th for taking the exam. That gives me about 50 days to study. I am going to Costa Rica with a few friends March 14th - 18th, so I would like to have it done by then, but I want to make sure I get it done right this time!!!!

So, clearly MGMAT is a reputable company with proven techniques, but the whole work-a-problem-check-a-problem approach didn't do much for my own stamina. Personally, I did these sets untimed using OG questions. And then I did it again. And again. And after that some more sets. I learned how to have an internal pacing, got used to knowing when I was taking longer than usual on a question and would just move on. Maybe that's crazy, but it worked for me.

I think 50 days is a great window - long enough to make real progress, but not so long that you want to off yourself :-D

I am jealous of Costa Rica.... but happy that all 6 of my apps are now in and I can begin to be human again.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
LadyRoadWarrior wrote:
neilferrini wrote:

LadyRoadWarrior wrote:

A few other thoughts:

So, clearly MGMAT is a reputable company with proven techniques, but the whole work-a-problem-check-a-problem approach didn't do much for my own stamina. Personally, I did these sets untimed using OG questions. And then I did it again. And again. And after that some more sets. I learned how to have an internal pacing, got used to knowing when I was taking longer than usual on a question and would just move on. Maybe that's crazy, but it worked for me.

I think 50 days is a great window - long enough to make real progress, but not so long that you want to off yourself :-D

I am jealous of Costa Rica.... but happy that all 6 of my apps are now in and I can begin to be human again.

Regarding your jealousy, I'm definitely excited about CR, but I'd gladly trade situations if I could! 740 GMAT and done with apps! Hopefully it will finally be a celebration for me.

I can totally relate to the internal timing. Honestly, when I take a practice test, I am not timing each problem, but rather just making sure I hit benchmarks and don't take too long. It probably isn't too useful for me to work through each question and freaking out about 2 min / problem since it really doesn't play out on the exam like that. On the tests, I just make sure I am on pace.

But working 37 problems...how did you select the OG problems you were going to do? and did you switch between PS and DS?

Thanks so much. This is really good stuff.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
neilferrini wrote:
Regarding your jealousy, I'm definitely excited about CR, but I'd gladly trade situations if I could! 740 GMAT and done with apps! Hopefully it will finally be a celebration for me.

I can totally relate to the internal timing. Honestly, when I take a practice test, I am not timing each problem, but rather just making sure I hit benchmarks and don't take too long. It probably isn't too useful for me to work through each question and freaking out about 2 min / problem since it really doesn't play out on the exam like that. On the tests, I just make sure I am on pace.

But working 37 problems...how did you select the OG problems you were going to do? and did you switch between PS and DS?

Regarding YOUR jealousy, 7 weeks ago I was a 640 with 0 applications complete... things change.

I picked in the most non-scientific way possible: I opened the OG and began with the first problem I hadn't solved. Yes, I switched between PS and DS. Sometimes I would do a whole set of one type followed by a whole set of the other type. Sometimes I would do mixed sets. No magic really. For me it was just about getting a whole bunch of problems under my belt.

But what do your guides at MGMAT say? As bb (or someone else?) said, they're probably not thrilled with your 20 point increase.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
LadyRoadWarrior wrote:
neilferrini wrote:

Regarding YOUR jealousy, 7 weeks ago I was a 640 with 0 applications complete... things change.

I picked in the most non-scientific way possible: I opened the OG and began with the first problem I hadn't solved. Yes, I switched between PS and DS. Sometimes I would do a whole set of one type followed by a whole set of the other type. Sometimes I would do mixed sets. No magic really. For me it was just about getting a whole bunch of problems under my belt.

But what do your guides at MGMAT say? As bb (or someone else?) said, they're probably not thrilled with your 20 point increase.

I hope you get nothing but admits! That's exciting!

I haven't followed up with my prof at MGMAT. I haven't called or anything, but I could post on the message boards and see what they say. I know they say there is no score guarantee though.

I'm adopting your approach. I worked about 30 to 35 questions yesterday, but only focusing on my problem areas. For example, I did all the Circles and Cylinders questions and the Exponents questions in the OG Switching between PS and DS.

If you have any other advice, I'm completely open. Will try anything and everything to get the score I need.

I'm out of practice tests except for my last GMAT prep. How many tests would you recommend taking in this 50 day period? Should I recycle my old MGMAT tests?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
neilferrini wrote:
I'm out of practice tests except for my last GMAT prep. How many tests would you recommend taking in this 50 day period? Should I recycle my old MGMAT tests?

I think retaking GMATPrep is still valuable - perhaps its because my memory isn't fantastic enough for repeat questions to have much impact. I'd say that you could take each GMATPrep 2-3 times before it would not be useful. Not saying that the scores would have the same accuracy in the 3rd round as in the first, but the point of full length practice tests is for the experience, not solely for the scoring. I have little experience with MGMAT preps so others would have to provide feedback there.

I only took 2 full length practice tests during my re-study period. I focused on those problem sets again and again. This is just what worked for me.

Remind me - what score would make you satisfied vs. happy vs. ecstatic? (for me, that was 680 vs. 700 vs. 720+)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
LadyRoadWarrior wrote:
neilferrini wrote:

I think retaking GMATPrep is still valuable - perhaps its because my memory isn't fantastic enough for repeat questions to have much impact. I'd say that you could take each GMATPrep 2-3 times before it would not be useful. Not saying that the scores would have the same accuracy in the 3rd round as in the first, but the point of full length practice tests is for the experience, not solely for the scoring. I have little experience with MGMAT preps so others would have to provide feedback there.

I only took 2 full length practice tests during my re-study period. I focused on those problem sets again and again. This is just what worked for me.

Remind me - what score would make you satisfied vs. happy vs. ecstatic? (for me, that was 680 vs. 700 vs. 720+)

I'd like to actually take fewer exams this time around and working more problems, so I may only take 2 or 3 GMAT prep tests this go round and bag the MGMAT exams. I'm a stickler for mimicking the testing environment/experience, but what do you (and others) think about bagging the essays when I take the practice tests? I scored a 6 on the AWA on my actual take...

I did well to make up for my lousy undergrad GPA with a 4.0 in my Masters in Accounting program, but believe I still have to compensate with the GMAT to reinforce so my ideal scores would be the following:

Satisfied: 720
Happy: 740
Ecstatic: 760

This way I am at least slightly above the average at each of my target schools. Also, this is far out, but I'm hoping to break into the next tier of management consulting firms post MBA, and I've heard that there are GMAT cutoffs. Just something to consider, but not my primary concern.

Thanks as always.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
neilferrini wrote:
I'd like to actually take fewer exams this time around and working more problems, so I may only take 2 or 3 GMAT prep tests this go round and bag the MGMAT exams. I'm a stickler for mimicking the testing environment/experience, but what do you (and others) think about bagging the essays when I take the practice tests? I scored a 6 on the AWA on my actual take...

I don't see harm in skipping them. You have the skills already as evidenced by your 6.0 (kudos!). You're already addressing stamina through your practice sets.

neilferrini wrote:
My ideal scores would be the following:
Satisfied: 720
Happy: 740
Ecstatic: 760

This way I am at least slightly above the average at each of my target schools. Also, this is far out, but I'm hoping to break into the next tier of management consulting firms post MBA, and I've heard that there are GMAT cutoffs. Just something to consider, but not my primary concern.

Thanks as always.

Yikes! Way to set some high goals. Though I'm rooting for you to smash your next exam, I wouldn't want you to get a great score (but sub 750) and see that as a failure. Remember, being in the 700 club means being better than 90% of test takers... being 760 means being better than 98% of them.

I too am hoping to recruit for MBB, and though they do look at GMAT score, I think they are looking for 700+, not 760 for consideration.

Happy studying and keep me posted.

PS: I'm moving along well too. Interviewed at Tuck two weeks ago and got my Ross interview invite this week.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
LadyRoadWarrior wrote:
NeilFerrini - how is it going now?

First of all congrats on your admits! So exciting - Happy for you! Tough break on Kellogg - hopefully the waitlist will fall in your favor (Booth is amazing though!)

I am well - along the way about 3 to 4 weeks after I started my re-study, I received an email from MGMAT asking me about my experience and giving the option to do a post-exam assessment. I set it up and they gave me a detailed plan with subject areas and what to focus on based on my exam performance and practice problem statistics in their online tools.

Overall they diagnosed that I am "right there" on achieving my target score (based on practice test scores of 700 and 690), but I just need about 5 weeks of intense non-stop focused study on the areas that they prescribed. That 5 weeks was to start from the day of the conversation - so my previous 3 weeks of study were good but not really part of the plan and somewhat irrelevant in the tutor's mind. I addressed my Costa Rica trip and she advised me to completely put aside all things GMAT until after so I am not taking a 5 day party break in the middle of study. She though it would be good to help with not getting burnt out as well. It was a very hard choice to make - I was nervous about losing any momentum/routine/focus along with forgetting things, but she urged me to do it. I mulled over it for a while.

I decided to take the advice and enjoy the break. Just got back from Costa Rica on Sunday and I am going to start my study 5 week study session tomorrow. I have rescheduled my test for May 5th. It's going to be intense getting back into it, but hopefully if I take care of all of the very specific details and actions they recommended, I will be all set to get a 720+ score.

How are things for you? I imagine well given the world-class choices your juggling!

Best - and I'll be in touch
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3